19.3 issue with mountpoint being "really" slow to display file list

Moderators: Gully, peteru

jangles
Apprentice

19.3 issue with mountpoint being "really" slow to display file list

Post by jangles » Fri Nov 01, 2019 17:59

Hi

I've upgraded to the 19.3 release but am finding some oddities.

1. Whenever I turn on the t3, I get a spinning starburst for a min or so before I am able to change channels or pull up a menu.
2. When connecting to my NAS mountpoint, its really slow in displaying the parent directory and any subsequent folder lists or when returning up a parent directory, long wait spinning starburst.

I'm connecting on WLAN and have a green link with 55mb speed, nameserver fine, gateway and ip address all happily assigned, network test all green ticks and mountpoint showing green. My wlan adapter is the rt2800usb that came with my t3. Does this adapter perhaps need a driver update for 19.3?

Any ideas on why it is so slow to the mount point or the delay at turn on?

I was on 16.5 and was only really looking for a firmware that would solve the HDD going missing and needing reboot to be seen again. It was stable and mountpoint was never that slow. Although 19.3 seems to have solved thge disappearing hdd :)

Cheers
Jangles

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: 19.3 issue with mountpoint being "really" slow to display file list

Post by MrQuade » Fri Nov 01, 2019 18:13

All the WiFi drivers did get an update with the 17.5 to 19.3 upgrade. They're all supplied in the software feed and aren't installed separately like you would on a PC.

The problem, as is being discovered by several users, is that the WiFi drivers in the 19.3 series firmware seem to be..........not good. There have been several reports of dropouts and general instability, though I am not sure about reports of low speeds in particular.

The way the drivers integrate with the latest Wiz kernels and software means that it is most likely not as easy as simply being able to roll back to older versions either.

I'd also be keeping an eye on that harddisk issue too. As-per your other thread, I suspect the partial power supply repair may be in play there.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

jangles
Apprentice

Post by jangles » Fri Nov 01, 2019 18:22

MrQuade wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 18:13
All the WiFi drivers did get an update with the 17.5 to 19.3 upgrade. They're all supplied in the software feed and aren't installed separately like you would on a PC.

The problem, as is being discovered by several users, is that the WiFi drivers in the 19.3 series firmware seem to be..........not good. There have been several reports of dropouts and general instability, though I am not sure about reports of low speeds in particular.

The way the drivers integrate with the latest Wiz kernels and software means that it is most likely not as easy as simply being able to roll back to older versions either.

I'd also be keeping an eye on that harddisk issue too. As-per your other thread, I suspect the partial power supply repair may be in play there.
Thanks for your helpful and prompt replies MrQuade, much appreciated.

Ok I'll get the other capacitors replaced as soon as possible.

Would the spinning star at startup also be as a result of the wifi adaptor connecting to the mountpoint at startup?

Connecting to the NAS to watch movies and shows with the delays in spinning star is gonna have some kids peeved :)

From your kernel comment, does that mean I can't now downgrade to 17.5 20190207 to try that and see if its any better?

Cheers
Jangles

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Nov 01, 2019 19:27

Is the spinning star coming up before the live TV picture? If so, that's normal boot behaviour, and yes, a slow network connection can delay the initial mounts and blow out the boot time considerably.

If it is coming up afterwards, it is a sign that there is some background task running that is holding up the GUI.
If the harddisk is suffering from numerous IO timeouts, that could gum up the works. Also rogue Autotimers are a common culprit for random stars appearances, though you will often see them on regular intervals if that's the case.

jangles
Apprentice

Post by jangles » Sat Nov 02, 2019 08:42

MrQuade wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 19:27
Is the spinning star coming up before the live TV picture? If so, that's normal boot behaviour, and yes, a slow network connection can delay the initial mounts and blow out the boot time considerably.

If it is coming up afterwards, it is a sign that there is some background task running that is holding up the GUI.
If the harddisk is suffering from numerous IO timeouts, that could gum up the works. Also rogue Autotimers are a common culprit for random stars appearances, though you will often see them on regular intervals if that's the case.
Hi MrQ, I'm not talking about the spinning star during normal full boot up but its the one that is coming up after the GUI is kicking in, so I see the TV channel picture and the status bar overlay with channel info, then it spins again for 30 secs or so.

I think you are on to something with the hdd suffering numerous IO timeouts as I spoke to soon in thinking 19.3 had solved the HDD disappearing issue as its showing as hdd is there in storage file check but I get an e2fsck -b 32786 error around 25% into file check. Timeshift not working and pressing Media button on remote does not show my recordings.

I will get the other capacitors replaced on power supply board.

Just out of interest, am I able to downgrade to 17.5 after I have gone to 19.3? I just want to check if 17.5 is faster with mountpoint connection than 19.3.

Cheers
Jangles

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Nov 02, 2019 08:55

Yeti, you can upgrade and downgrade to your heart's content.

A USB firmware installation just formats the PVR's flash storage and installs a fresh operating system, so there are no traces of the old installation.

The only thing to note is that the settings backups cannot always be restored between versions depending on what you are going to and from. Sometimes the software changes are too extensive to maintain that level of backward compatibility.

Return to “Official Firmware Images”