How difficult is it to swap a HDD from a T2 to a T4?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

robbo
Master

How difficult is it to swap a HDD from a T2 to a T4?

Post by robbo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 23:42

I have reached the end of my patience with my T2. Ever since I bought it (refurbished machine) it has never been reliable. and now the screen is blank, even after several GUI Reboots and Box reboots. It's connected to my network so I can see that it's still recording programmed shows but there's just no video. I've tried the obvious - different HDMI cable and different port on the TV but no success.

Therefore I think it's time to toss this unit and get a T4, or at least another T2. When I bought this one I bought it as a Box only and paid someone to install a 2TB HDD, which is relatively new, so I was wondering how difficult it would be to buy a new T4 and simply install this HDD, or should I take it back to the experts?

Also, what's the consensus on refurbished machines? This one appears to be a dud not is that common or just plain misfortune? I want to see if there are any refurbished units available to keep my replacement cost down

adoxa
Wizard

Re: How difficult is it to swap a HDD from a T2 to a T4?

Post by adoxa » Sat Apr 13, 2019 00:41

I've not had any problems with my refurbished T2 (daily use for over two years).

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 01:59

robbo wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 23:42
Therefore I think it's time to toss this unit and get a T4, or at least another T2. When I bought this one I bought it as a Box only and paid someone to install a 2TB HDD, which is relatively new, so I was wondering how difficult it would be to buy a new T4 and simply install this HDD, or should I take it back to the experts?

The U4 is the current model and uses a 2.5 HDD. The T4 is only available rarely, when someone sells one on ebay or Gumtree.

According to other posts it is easy to swap the HDD T2 to U4. You would need a disk caddy if you manage to source a T4. I opened my U4 and played with the connections at one point. Should only take a half hour or less to swap. But note that you mustn't restore T2 settings to a U4.

So far, I've had no problems with it. Only hardware failure I've heard of was the external plugpack causing audio interference with a sensitive audio setup. But I don't see that problem at all.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:31

robbo wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 23:42
I've tried the obvious - different HDMI cable and different port on the TV but no success.

Have you used OpenWebif to make sure the video output settings of the T2 are correct for your TV?
Have you tried using either a component or a composite video cable from the T2 to the TV - if your TV supports one of those inputs it would help to decide if this was an HDMI port issue.

robbo wrote: Therefore I think it's time to toss this unit and get a T4, or at least another T2.

As Paul has pointed out, the T4 is no longer available new - neither is the T2 now, as the V2 model is "coming".
There are no refurbs currently available - https://beyonwiz.com.au/product-category/refurbished/
So I'd suggest Gumtree or eBay as a source.

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Sat Apr 13, 2019 13:08

Thanks to everyone for your replies.
I've not had any problems with my refurbished T2
It seems like I may have just received a dud - obviously not a typical problem
According to other posts it is easy to swap the HDD T2 to U4.
Do you know if I need to backup all the movies I have recorded already, or just install the HDD and upgrade firmware?
it would help to decide if this was an HDMI port issue.
I haven't tried alternative inputs but I what I have discovered the last two times I have used it is that if I use the remove from using Open Webif on a networked computer and do a Box Reboot it seems to work until I turn it off again. So at least I may be able to keep it limping until I get a replacement by not turning it off again, just turning the TV off.

Does it sound like a firmware upgrade or reset of some sort might be worth a try?
the V2 model is "coming"
Where can I find out more about the V2? Is it worth the wait?

Rob

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Sat Apr 13, 2019 13:23

Also, where can I find a copy of the latest firmware for the T2. The link I found lands on a 404 Can't find the page -
Ignore this post - found a page that worked

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Apr 13, 2019 13:30

robbo wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 13:08
Do you know if I need to backup all the movies I have recorded already, or just install the HDD and upgrade firmware?

Just install the HDD. While a firmware upgrade is recommended, it isn't necessary to view the recordings on the T4.

The suggestions about a caddy aren't quite right. You'd be unlikely to find something that would fit. You'll need spacers that allow you to fit the 2.5" drive in the 3.5" caddy that's already in the T4. If you get a U4, that already has a 2.5" caddy inside. The V2 only takes USB external drives and/or a microSD card (or will, when it becomes available).

The transferred drive will still have the volume label "T2", and that will show up in lists of disk drives in the firmware (e.g. in MEDIA, YELLOW Location). That can be changed, but it requires logging in to the T2's Linux OS (e.g. via Telnet).
robbo wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 13:08
Where can I find out more about the V2? Is it worth the wait?

Here (official) and here (unofficial, forum).

That's pretty much the whole basis for you to decide whether it's worth the wait. Only pre-release V2s have been made available, and only to a small number of people (mostly the usual suspects :)).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Sat Apr 13, 2019 14:45

Thanks.

Based on what I am reading it seems like I should just bite the bullet and buy a U4. If I go from the T2 to a U4, what would I need to do to transfer the HDD and keep my recordings?

With my T2, I think I have worked out the problem, thanks to Grumpy_Geoff. It appears that I may have a loose/faulty HDMI connection. If I jiggle the connector I can get a flicker of sound/video. If I connect the T2 to the TV via PCA connectors it works. If swapping HDD to a new U4, then that may still be a better option for me, rather than spending money trying to fix loose connections, depending on whether the HDMI port is soldered or just plugged. Does anyone know?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Apr 13, 2019 14:46

prl wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 13:30

The suggestions about a caddy aren't quite right. You'd be unlikely to find something that would fit. You'll need spacers that allow you to fit the 2.5" drive in the 3.5" caddy that's already in the T4.
They're talking about a standard 3.5" to 2.5" caddy that can be bought at just about any computer store or eBay. Nothing exotic.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Apr 13, 2019 15:47

MrQuade wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 14:46
prl wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 13:30

The suggestions about a caddy aren't quite right. You'd be unlikely to find something that would fit. You'll need spacers that allow you to fit the 2.5" drive in the 3.5" caddy that's already in the T4.
They're talking about a standard 3.5" to 2.5" caddy that can be bought at just about any computer store or eBay. Nothing exotic.

Ah. OK. To me (probably incorrectly) a caddy means something different. :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Apr 13, 2019 16:04

robbo wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 14:45
Based on what I am reading it seems like I should just bite the bullet and buy a U4. If I go from the T2 to a U4, what would I need to do to transfer the HDD and keep my recordings?

Even simpler than from the T2 to T4: open the cases, unplug the HDD in the T2, undo the mounting screws for the T2's caddy, take out the HDD and caddy, unscrew the HDD, unscrew the mounting screws for the U4 caddy, remove the caddy, mount the HDD in the U4 caddy, mount the caddy back in the U4, plug in the HDD cable in the U4, mount the T2 caddy back in the T2. Depending on the exact layout and your dexterity, you may be able to do it without removing the caddy (though I usually do), and it may be easier to unplug/replug the HDD when the caddy or HDD have been unmounted. Nothing more needed. :)

The T2 case is only attached by screws at the back. The U4 case is attached at the back and sides.

The T2 and U4 run on low-voltage supplies. You don't need to allow high-voltage capacitors in the power supply to leak away as you do for the T4.

The recording format is the same across all the new series of Beyonwizes T/U/V models.
robbo wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 14:45
With my T2, I think I have worked out the problem, thanks to Grumpy_Geoff. It appears that I may have a loose/faulty HDMI connection. If I jiggle the connector I can get a flicker of sound/video. If I connect the T2 to the TV via PCA connectors it works. If swapping HDD to a new U4, then that may still be a better option for me, rather than spending money trying to fix loose connections, depending on whether the HDMI port is soldered or just plugged. Does anyone know?

The T2 HDMI port is soldered into the mainboard. Your minimum cost option is probably to have the T2 repaired, if it suits your needs.

I highly recommend forum member Warkus (Mark) (http://www.decisivecomputersolutions.co ... ntact.html,. Also see Warkus is a Legend!! (aka Mark). Though that topic is in the old DP series section of the forum, Mark has continued on to fixing the new series, too. He repaired a T4 mainboard for me earlier this year.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 19:12

Hi,
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 01:59
Only hardware failure I've heard of was the external plugpack causing audio interference with a sensitive audio setup.

That's interesting. My wife's T2 makes a crackling sound from the external speakers when the gas wall furnace's fan fires up.

Her T2 is in a cabinet right next to the heater in the Fam. room, mine is about 8' from the heater in the lounge, and has no probs.

Wonder if I can shield the PS? I'll have to take some alum. foil from her hat!

Her Toppy (3 or 4 various models), used to break-up, or freeze (or something weird, can't remember exactly), when the fan started.

Sorry if this OT.

dRdoS7

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Apr 13, 2019 23:12

Are you sure it is the fan and not an electric spark that ignites the gas? If it really is the fan, you should probably have the heater looked at. It sounds like a potential hazard.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 04:21

peteru wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 23:12
Are you sure it is the fan and not an electric spark that ignites the gas? If it really is the fan, you should probably have the heater looked at. It sounds like a potential hazard.

Agree.

My gas heater has an electronic spark igniter that upsets my clock radio on AM. Spark gaps were used in the very early radio days because they are great at creating a noisy electronic signal. Almost certainly that will be the real culprit.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 09:17

Thanks for all the feedback and help. I am trying to make contact with Mark now to get an idea of cost to repair. I will then be able to decide if it makes sense to put that money toward a repair or use it to offset the cost of a new U4. If I get the U4 I know how to swap HDD. So thanks to everyone for your contributions

Return to “Official Firmware Images”