Can't see folder list after update

Moderators: Gully, peteru

robbo
Master

Can't see folder list after update

Post by robbo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 17:10

I am disappointed with a couple of issues with the T2 I've had for a few years now and seek some advice

1. I just had a power failure and, as often happens, the only way to fire up my unit after a power failure is to use the WebApp to restart the GUI. That's ok while the unit is connected to my home network but what can I do to fire it up again when I have it away from home, which sometimes happens?

2. After getting it restarted I pressed the Media button to select a recording and my file list on the left hand pane is not visible. I can move the selector up and down and see the associated program summary on the RHS, the date and details on the top of the screen, the summary and menu buttons on the buttom, but but nothing on the left. Is there a way to fix or do I need to do a complete reinstall again?

Rob

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Can't see folder list after update

Post by MrQuade » Fri Mar 08, 2019 17:16

robbo wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 17:10
I am disappointed with a couple of issues with the T2 I've had for a few years now and seek some advice

1. I just had a power failure and, as often happens, the only way to fire up my unit after a power failure is to use the WebApp to restart the GUI. That's ok while the unit is connected to my home network but what can I do to fire it up again when I have it away from home, which sometimes happens?
I've never heard of that happening before. So you have no display on screen, but the web interface is still usable?

It might be worth grabbing a log file the next time it happens so someone can figure out what is going wrong.

Sounds like something might be corrupted. That might have happened if you tend to get a lot of power failures, since most PCs and PC-like devices don't like unexpected losses of power.

Could be worth backing up your settings and loading a fresh USB firmware install on.

If you are away from home and it happens, you could VPN into your home network and fix it up via the web interface as-usual. However, you are not to know when the T2 has failed unfortunately!

You might also be able to set up a brute force script that just restarts the GUI once a day in the wee hours of the morning to partially hide the issue.
robbo wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 17:10
2. After getting it restarted I pressed the Media button to select a recording and my file list on the left hand pane is not visible. I can move the selector up and down and see the associated program summary on the RHS, the date and details on the top of the screen, the summary and menu buttons on the buttom, but but nothing on the left. Is there a way to fix or do I need to do a complete reinstall again?
If you have recently updated to the latest firmware, but have not updated OverlayHD, then this is the symptom you will see.
Go grab the latest version of OverlayHD, or else add IanSav's package feed so you get automatic OverlayHD updates.
All details are in the OverlayHD thread.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 17:25

I've never heard of that happening before. So you have no display on screen, but the web interface is still usable?
It's been happening for as long as I can remember, at least the last few updates, many of which failed first time and had to be reinstalled via USB.
Yes, the web interface works, so I just choose the power option and choose Restart GUI. That usually, though not always, fixes the problem. Doing a hard reset does nothing. I still need to use the web interface.
If you have recently updated to the latest firmware, but have not updated OverlayHD, then this is the symptom you will see.
That'll be the problem. I will look up the thread you suggest and see if I can set up an auto update of the Overlay ID.

Thanks for your help

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Mar 08, 2019 17:29

robbo wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 17:25
It's been happening for as long as I can remember, at least the last few updates, many of which failed first time and had to be reinstalled via USB.
That rules out a fresh install as the solution then.

Has it ever happened following a manually initiated shutdown and restart? Or a reboot?

Definitely grab some log files when it happens then.

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 17:33

Has it ever happened following a manually initiated shutdown and restart? Or a reboot?
Not that I can remember. That said, I rarely do a manual shutdown. I will try to grab log files but need to figure out where they are.

Can you tell me where to find the Auto update for OverlayHD? I don't know where to start looking

Rob

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Mar 08, 2019 17:48

robbo wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 17:33
Not that I can remember. That said, I rarely do a manual shutdown. I will try to grab log files but need to figure out where they are.
Check for a crashlog file in the normal log directory (/root/logs by default)

Or have a look in /var/log/messages

You'd have to fetch those via ftp or ssh/scp.
robbo wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 17:33
Can you tell me where to find the Auto update for OverlayHD? I don't know where to start looking
The thread is here.
The section you want is titled: "To install the IanSav Feed Server plugin:"

To simply download the latest version to install, go to "Legacy Instructions:"

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 18:07

You'd have to fetch those via ftp or ssh/scp.
Hmmm. Not my strength. Not sure how to go about using ftp or ssh/scp. Is it too late to look now? When are those logs replaced?

Thanks for the reference. I will look it up shortly and install

Rob

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Mar 08, 2019 18:13

robbo wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 17:25
Yes, the web interface works, so I just choose the power option and choose Restart GUI. That usually, though not always, fixes the problem. Doing a hard reset does nothing. I still need to use the web interface.

Have you tried turning the rear power switch off, then back on again?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Mar 08, 2019 18:14

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 18:13
Have you tried turning the rear power switch off, then back on again?
:lol:

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 18:19

Yes, and when I do at those times I get the Wiz home screen for a number of seconds and then it goes black and unresponsive again. The only way I have ever been able to fire it up again is via the Web interface.

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 18:26

Well I downloaded the Auto OverlayHD package and within a few minutes I got a message to say that there are some updates pending. I authorised the update so it downloaded and installed. I also authorised the reboot. The Wiz home screen appeared for about 10 seconds, everything went blank for about 30 seconds and then all returned to, what appears to be, normal.

So thanks for your help with issue 2.

I guess issue 1 remains a problem I need to put up with and hope that I don't get a power failure when I am away from my home network.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Mar 08, 2019 18:27

robbo wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 18:19
Yes, and when I do at those times I get the Wiz home screen for a number of seconds and then it goes black and unresponsive again. The only way I have ever been able to fire it up again is via the Web interface.
Are you sure this isn't just an issue with the signal to the TV?

For example, when this happens, in the web interface, can you bring up a screenshot and navigate around the T2's GUI using the web remote control?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Mar 08, 2019 18:37

MrQuade wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 18:27
robbo wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 18:19

Yes, sounds like a HDMI handshake issue, doesn't it?

robbo, have you tried setting the T2's output to a lower resolution, or a different 50/60Hz setting? Or a different input into the TV, or a different cable?
MrQuade wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 18:27
For example, when this happens, in the web interface, can you bring up a screenshot and navigate around the T2's GUI using the web remote control?

It does read as if the UI is fully running as OWIF is running.

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 19:13

Not sure I understand what you're getting at. The unit works fine until there's a power failure but after a power failure it often, though not always, fails to restart the GUI. When it first happened I tried a hard reset and switch reset several times, and on at least one occasion that did work, but only once that I can remember.
when this happens, in the web interface, can you bring up a screenshot and navigate around the T2's GUI using the web remote control?
No, I don't think the web display is responsive either. All I do is select the Power button, then Restart GUI.

[/quote] have you tried setting the T2's output to a lower resolution, or a different 50/60Hz setting? Or a different input into the TV, or a different cable?[/quote]
No to all of the above - because I could never see a reason to question those settings/connections since the problem only happens at power resume.

Well, actually I have swapped HDMI cables and ports, but not to specifically fix this issue. That was done when I was trying to get my Google ChromeCast to work. In the end I gave up because it simply couldn't get along with the Wiz no matter what I did. However I don't know that I encountered any power failures during those tests.

Nevertheless, why would a HDMI cable/resolution setting/frequency setting/TV input only affect it after a power failure? And why won't it respond to an IR remote control whereas it will respond to a web interface. Worse still, why am I the only person reporting this problem? Perhaps I shouldn't have bought a factory reconditioned unit in the first place.

Rob

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Mar 08, 2019 19:36

robbo wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 19:13
No, I don't think the web display is responsive either. All I do is select the Power button, then Restart GUI.
Give it a quick check next time it happens then.

robbo wrote:
No to all of the above - because I could never see a reason to question those settings/connections since the problem only happens at power resume.
Could possibly be a result of the order that things come on. Say if the T2 starts up with the TV off, it never kicks off the original HDMI handshake properly, and something in your TV doesn't properly re-initiate it?

My LG OLED frequently has issues with HDMI handshaking even when switching inputs to an already running T4. LG are particularly bad for HDMI issues I think.
robbo wrote:
Nevertheless, why would a HDMI cable/resolution setting/frequency setting/TV input only affect it after a power failure? And why won't it respond to an IR remote control whereas it will respond to a web interface.
What actions are you trying to initiate with the remote? It'd be hard to tell if anything is happening with no screen display or front panel.
robbo wrote:
Worse still, why am I the only person reporting this problem? Perhaps I shouldn't have bought a factory reconditioned unit in the first place.
It is odd! I'd be very interested to help you solve this one :)

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 20:40

Give it a quick check next time it happens then.
Will do
Could possibly be a result of the order that things come on. Say if the T2 starts up with the TV off, it never kicks off the original HDMI handshake properly, and something in your TV doesn't properly re-initiate it?
I see what you're suggesting but if that were the issue then when I did a hard reset (pull the plug just on the Wiz and reboot) it shouldn't happen again but it does.
What actions are you trying to initiate with the remote? It'd be hard to tell if anything is happening with no screen display or front panel.
True. I just try to turn it off/on and hold my finger on the off button to get it to do a reboot, but it seems totally unresponsive to that.
I'd be very interested to help you solve this one
Thanks for your ongoing interest. I will see what happens next time I have a power failure and see what happens.

And thanks again for helping me sort out the other issue. Display works fine now

Rob

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Sat Mar 09, 2019 01:01

robbo wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 20:40
Thanks for your ongoing interest. I will see what happens next time I have a power failure and see what happens.

Rob
You could always simulate one. Plug the TV & Wiz into a power bar and with both units on, switch off the power bar (leave it off for a few minutes), then switch it back on.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:20

robbo wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 20:40
True. I just try to turn it off/on and hold my finger on the off button to get it to do a reboot, but it seems totally unresponsive to that.

I believe the default setting for long-POWER is to bring up the power menu - thus with its default setting it'll do diddly-squat for you if you can't see the UI (except you can of course press number 4 which correlates to the menu option for 'Reboot', and 5 which is 'Restart GUI').

If you want to have long-POWER set to shutdown to deep standby, then alter the button setting via the Button setup screen:
MENU>>Setup>>System>>Button settings. Set Action on long POWER to be Immediate shutdown. Long-POWER will then either shutdown to deep standby if no recordings are active, else it'll go to standby to complete the recordings and thence to deep standby at recording end.

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 09:50

Hi,
robbo wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 18:26
I guess issue 1 remains a problem I need to put up with and hope that I don't get a power failure when I am away from my home network.
If you're experiencing a lot of power failures, I'd suggest buying a small UPS. I did that years ago for our 2 Topfield DVRs.

dRdoS7

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 19:43

Sorry for the late reply - had a massive move to finish and only getting some semblance of order now, before the reverse process takes me offline for several days again.

In the process I decided to do a 'mock' power failure and then applied the suggestion:
you can of course press number 4 which correlates to the menu option for 'Reboot', and 5 which is 'Restart GUI'
which worked a treat!. Thanks for that. I just need to remember that step when I have another power failure.

I don't have a lot of power failures, maybe once every 6 months but it's been a nuisance every time. But now I know the cure.

Thanks again

Rob

Return to “Official Firmware Images”