prl
Wizard God

Re: New Firmware for (T2/T3/T4/U4) 17/04/2018

Post by prl » Mon May 07, 2018 09:15

hugson wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 08:45
prl wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 08:29
By the way, if you want to quote someone's post with the post details (including a link back to the original post), reply to the post using the "Reply with quote" button (double quotes icon in the top bar of the post you're replying to). That's what I did to quote you in this reply.
Me too! That's what I did. What did I get wrong?

Your other posts here just had quotes without any reference markup, so I assumed you were just using plain [quote][/quote] tags and copy/pasting.
hugson wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 08:45
Regarding the contents of smb.conf you published, how did you discover this? After one iteration of loading the latest furmware, I got a smb.conf file of only 2 or 3 lines. How could I have realized this was wrong?

I copied it from a clean install of firmware 20180417 where the smb.conf file hadn't been changed. There isn't a simple way to find out otherwise (which is why I posted it). T Because it's not expected to be changed, the smb.conf file isn't in the "factory settings" files in /usr/share/enigma2/defaults or created by the factory reset scripts in /usr/share/enigma2/factoryReset.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

hugson
Apprentice

Post by hugson » Mon May 07, 2018 19:01

Well, I've reloaded the latest firmware following your instructions to the letter.

For a short time everything was working. The smb.conf file contained 31 lines.

Then all my shares disappeared from /media/autofs (Mount manager continued to show them). I realized the light on my Beyonwiz supplied wifi dongle had gone out (this happens on occasion), so I turned the T2 off, removed and replaced the dongle and its USB connector, then turned the T2 back on. On came the dongle's light and all seemed well.

But no shares appeared under Media manager. I could still connect successfully using the Beyonwiz app on my tablet. I could still use a File Manager app on my tablet to access the T2, both via CIFS and via Ftp. I restarted the network, I rebooted the UI, I rebooted the T2. Nothing made any difference.

I then reloaded last year's firmware and restored the settings from my latest v16 backup. And everything works perfectly.

I think I've spent enough time on the latest firmware. I've clearly struck one or more edge conditions that no-one else has yet encountered. I hadn't realized that parts of the Beyonwiz software had been Open Source. This explains many of the design discrepancies I have seen, and also explains why the software is so very difficult to maintain,

Anyway, thanks for all your help.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon May 07, 2018 19:06

hugson wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 19:01
... I hadn't realized that parts of the Beyonwiz software had been Open Source. ...

It's almost all Open Source, from the operating system up, apart from the SoC manufacturer's SDK.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon May 07, 2018 19:53

hugson wrote:
But no shares appeared under Media manager. I could still connect successfully using the Beyonwiz app on my tablet. I could still use a File Manager app on my tablet to access the T2, both via CIFS and via Ftp. I restarted the network, I rebooted the UI, I rebooted the T2. Nothing made any difference.
It would have been nice to know what your smb.conf looked like after that power cycle. I wonder if it had changed from the default 31 lines again.

Unfortunately, now being on the old firmware, you will not be able to benefit from any of the new features or any future updates. It's a big pain in the proverbial to be stuck with a partially functioning system, but I would urge you, if possible, to persist and help us diagnose what is going wrong here. As you say, you may be bumping into some edge case that could have further repercussions that we all just haven't encountered yet.
hugson wrote:
This explains many of the design discrepancies I have seen, and also explains why the software is so very difficult to maintain,
But we also benefit since end-users like prl can help out by donating his spare time by programming in new features and fixing bugs with help from the rest of the community. :)
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

hugson
Apprentice

Post by hugson » Mon May 07, 2018 20:05

MrQuade wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 19:53
It would have been nice to know what your smb.conf looked like after that power cycle. I wonder if it had changed from the default 31 lines again.
The smb.conf file was unchanged, still containing the same 31 lines.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon May 07, 2018 21:29

hugson wrote:
...I think I've spent enough time on the latest firmware. I've clearly struck one or more edge conditions that no-one else has yet encountered. I hadn't realized that parts of the Beyonwiz software had been Open Source. This explains many of the design discrepancies I have seen, and also explains why the software is so very difficult to maintain,

Likely you won't now be arsed to try the 17.5-series f/w again, but just in case one day you're feeling so inclined, it would be good to save the current working 16.1-series file contents of /etc/auto.network and /etc/enigma2/automounts.xml and compare them with the 17.5-series versions if/when the 17.5-series sharing goes tits up again. Also, when in that situation (if you do get to that in the future), see if the shares are listed in 'Mountpoints management' (Mount Viewer screen), and their active/inactive status.

Further still, open a mount/share and (assuming it's already 'active') just simply GREEN/Save to remount. I believe the system will stop and start autofs sharing; when I did it just then on my U4 I saw five lots of -
command ['/etc/init.d/autofs stop', 'sleep 2', '/etc/init.d/autofs start']
listed in the debug log, and I have five shares setup. I have seven shares on my T4 and when I repeated that same exercise I saw seven lots of the automount stopping/starting listed.

hugson
Apprentice

Post by hugson » Mon May 07, 2018 21:49

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 21:29
Also, when in that situation (if you do get to that in the future), see if the shares are listed in 'Mountpoints management' (Mount Viewer screen), and their active/inactive status.
Ah, I already know this. The shares were still listed in Mountpoints Management as active. There was nothing there to suggest any problems. But in Media Player, all that was visible was 2 dots to navigate to the parent folder.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon May 07, 2018 22:06

hugson wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 21:49
...But in Media Player, all that was visible was 2 dots to navigate to the parent folder.

To be clear to me, in this screen and directory as below, you only saw the entry of two dots?
Attachments
Media_media_autofs.png

hugson
Apprentice

Post by hugson » Mon May 07, 2018 22:44

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 22:06
To be clear to me, in this screen and directory as below, you only saw the entry of two dots?
That's right.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Tue May 08, 2018 03:12

hugson wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 21:49
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 21:29
Also, when in that situation (if you do get to that in the future), see if the shares are listed in 'Mountpoints management' (Mount Viewer screen), and their active/inactive status.
Ah, I already know this. The shares were still listed in Mountpoints Management as active. There was nothing there to suggest any problems. But in Media Player, all that was visible was 2 dots to navigate to the parent folder.
I have seen this state at times. It generally occurs because I have rebooted the T4 after changing something. Usually, to recover from the lost mounts I pick one of the mounts (doesn't seem to matter which one or if it's active or inactive) and tell Mount Manager to save changes (i.e. press GREEN). This usually reactivates all the mount points.

At the base of the problem here is possibly a Master Browser issue. It is the fact that resources come and go in the network that creates the master Browser problems. A couple of websites that speak about this issue are:
https://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/ho ... workgroup/
https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/ch07.html

In smb.conf there is a line OS level = 1. I am no expert but based on the samba documentation above I believe the intention of this is to try and force the Wizzes to a lower priority in the Master Browser election process. In particular, it is inferred that setting multiple Wizzes to a higher value could frustrate resolution of the election process. This means a PC is meant to become the Master Browser following an election. If ever a network is without a Master Browser, an election is held between the available machines. There is supposed be one Master Browser and possibly, a Backup Master Browser.

My PCs are normally on all day, off at night. So, according to its logs, the T4 consistently gets itself elected Master Browser because it is not switched off that often. As long as I don't change anything, my network stays stable for days. If the T4 goes down (which is usually because I am tinkering with it), the other machines on the network are supposed to elect a new Master Browser. I can have brief periods of instability which are fixed by remounting the missing shares manually.

From what I have read, problems can also arise if there are two Master Browsers on the same subnet. Apparently, by design, Master Browsers don't talk to each other. Instead, they look for a Domain Master Browser, which usually doesn't exist in a small network. This results in resources suddenly going missing because each Master Browser has an incomplete list of the available resources. One option discussed for resolving these problems is, evidently, to configure one machine (be it a PC, NAS or Wiz) as the preferred master browser.

Also, the higher the version of an operating system, the more likely it is to force and win a Master Browser election. That hugson has shares that exist for a while but disappear does seem to have a possible correlation with the network conducting a forced election of a new Master Browser and, in the process, losing the full list of resources. Just why the earlier firmware doesn't suffer this issue is not clear. Maybe it just doesn't automatically hold an election. I suspect we may never know. I continue to tinker with my own settings to resolve my own stability issues. However, in my case, these are now minor.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue May 08, 2018 10:06

So, to summarise what Paul_oz53 is saying: It looks like hughson doesn't have a properly working DNS system in place and Windows does a really shit job at trying to cover up the deficiency.

Suggested home network setup:
  • Configure router DNS to point at server 1.1.1.1 (use 1.0.0.1 for secondary DNS server).
  • Enable DHCP server on router.
  • Configure every client device on network to use DHCP to obtain all network configuration.
  • If your router can do it, use MAC address reservation to ensure that each device is always allocated the same IP address.
  • Ensure that only the router provides DHCP on the network. If some other device (such as NAS or Windows Internet Connection Sharing) also tries to serve DHCP, you are guaranteed to have problems.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

hugson
Apprentice

Post by hugson » Tue May 08, 2018 12:12

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 03:12
At the base of the problem here is possibly a Master Browser issue. It is the fact that resources come and go in the network that creates the master Browser problems.
Interesting idea. Of course, the question arises as to why this has never occurred with the previous firmware. However, I have now forbidden my Windows 7 PC from ever becoming the master browser, Let's see if it's more obedient than my children used to be!

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue May 08, 2018 12:51

hugson wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:12
Interesting idea. Of course, the question arises as to why this has never occurred with the previous firmware. However, I have now forbidden my Windows 7 PC from ever becoming the master browser, Let's see if it's more obedient than my children used to be!
The master browser priority was set higher in the earlier versions of firmware. It is possible that your Wiz was always acting as the master browser before.

You can set the "OS level=x" value higher to increase the T4's chance of becoming the master if you are so inclined.

I let my always-on NAS do that job.

hugson
Apprentice

Post by hugson » Tue May 08, 2018 13:08

MrQuade wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:51
The master browser priority was set higher in the earlier versions of firmware. It is possible that your Wiz was always acting as the master browser before.
Then this suggestion certainly may offer the solution. It seems an odd thing to change without thinking through any ramifications it may have.
You can set the "OS level=x" value higher to increase the T4's chance of becoming the master if you are so inclined.
Where do I find this setting please?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue May 08, 2018 13:27

hugson wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 13:08
Then this suggestion certainly may offer the solution. It seems an odd thing to change without thinking through any ramifications it may have.
It was deliberately changed to "discourage" the Wiz from becoming the master browser. Not everyone's Wiz stays on all the time, so having the master browser come and go at random can lead to those situations where multiple masters are present on the network.
hugson wrote:
In smb.conf. I have forgotten what it was set to in earlier firmware versions (20 maybe?).
Here is a quick blurb about the levels. Basically, a OS level of 1 makes it equivalent to a Windows 3.1 PC in terms of winning elections (lowest).

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue May 08, 2018 13:30

hugson wrote:
It seems an odd thing to change without thinking through any ramifications it may have.

What makes you think that I made the change without a good reason? The ramifications of leaving it at the default setting is that in a configuration where the user regularly shuts down their Beyonwiz, the rest of the devices on the network will misbehave depending on whether the PVR is on or off. The default samba setting is designed for always-on servers.
hugson wrote:

If your Beyonwiz is always on and your PCs come and go, put the following line in a file called /etc/samba/smb_host.conf - you may need to create the file.

Code: Select all

os level = 32
Note that this is still a band-aid fix for your badly configured home network. You should sort out your DNS so that real name resolution works properly, instead of relying on the legacy rubbish system that Microsoft deployed back in the 90's.

Blog.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue May 08, 2018 13:34

Do not make changes to /etc/samba/smb.conf

Blog.

hugson
Apprentice

Post by hugson » Tue May 08, 2018 13:38

MrQuade wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 13:27
In smb.conf. I have forgotten what it was set to in earlier firmware versions (20 maybe?).
34 apparently is the gold medal winner! Thanks.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Tue May 08, 2018 14:36

We're going to the NBN next week. That involves a new router so I intend going to the configuration that peteru recommended above to coincide.

I occasionally check which machine is the master browser. At times it has been one of the PCs, the T3, the T4 or the U4 as of today.

MrQuade appears to never have these issues with his NAS serving this role. I have adopted a policy of nominating an always on device to have the role. That will be either the U4 or the T4.

I intend trying peteru's bandaid approach in making the change in smb_host.conf in one machine. It appears that problems can occur if two machines are elected. This happened last night when I was tinkering with the network. The network became very sluggish til I forced the U4 to be the sole Master.

Right now, it's all working fine, Wizzes to PC and PC to Wizzes with the U4 as the Master.
Denon AVR -X2400H

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue May 08, 2018 14:39

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 14:36
MrQuade appears to never have these issues with his NAS serving this role. I have adopted a policy of nominating an always on device to have the role. That will be either the U4 or the T4.
I did have a hiccup the other week when I lost power for 8 hours. The NAS needed a bit of a poke before it would resume is master duties. Once set it did stick though.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue May 08, 2018 16:09

Hi,

How are you guys manipulating a device to take on the role of being the master browser? Similarly, how are you getting a device to abdicate the role? In this context I mean other than setting the appropriate SMB config settings.

Regards,
Ian.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue May 08, 2018 16:38

IanSav wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 16:09
How are you guys manipulating a device to take on the role of being the master browser? Similarly, how are you getting a device to abdicate the role? In this context I mean other than setting the appropriate SMB config settings.
In my case, once the priorities are set appropriately, I resort to giving the recalcitrant devices a kick in the guts. I don't know of any reliable software tools that can be used to trigger an election.

My equipment usually only has a problem when the whole network attempts to come up at once (such as after a power failure). The NAS usually pulls rank, but sometimes timing means that some other device ends up thinking it is also the master. Usually rebooting that dodgy master will force the election process and things sort themselves out.

The Linux Samba tool "smbclient" is great for finding the master devices on the network. The windows "net" tool is severely limited in that regard. fortunately, the "Windows Services for Linux" feature of Windows 10 means that I can run smbclient natively from my main PC without having to remote into any of my smb-enabled VMs.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue May 08, 2018 16:52

Hi MrQuade,

I used to use BrowStat ELECT ... to force a Browse Master election but it has been letting me down of late. Further I used BrowStat TICKLE ... to get a Browse Master to stop. This also no longer seems to work as advertised. :(

I was hoping you had some newer commands that take on these functions rather than the typical "kick in the guts". :)

Regards,
Ian.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Tue May 08, 2018 17:54

IanSav wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 16:09
Hi,

Regards,
Ian.
Like MrQuade, brute force. If I switch off the current master browser, a new one is elected after about 5 minutes. It tends to stick if something then comes back on. In the Windows PC I set a registry key a while back but it seems to have disappeared so that can't be a factor. Last night I used the os level trick and that has stuck on the U4, but the T3 also thinks it is a Master Browser! I've yet to shut it down though. I generally don't use the Win 10 work laptop on the shared network to avoid security issues so I still use Win 7 as the backbone.

To find which is the Master Browser I use the LANscan tool that was developed by Scotty at the link I posted above. It uses 'net view' but with a prettier interface. If you read down his page, Scotty explains in a link that in Win10, smb V1.0 was disabled at build 1709 and that you have to swap to a Homegroup to make things work.
Denon AVR -X2400H

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue May 08, 2018 18:39

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 17:54
To find which is the Master Browser I use the LANscan tool that was developed by Scotty at the link I posted above. It uses 'net view' but with a prettier interface. If you read down his page, Scotty explains in a link that in Win10, smb V1.0 was disabled at build 1709 and that you have to swap to a Homegroup to make things work.
And a comment mentions that 1803 removes HomeGroup altogether. I don't know if it's any different, but you could try NetBScanner.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Tue May 08, 2018 19:07

adoxa wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 18:39
Paul_oz53 wrote:
And a comment mentions that 1803 removes HomeGroup altogether. I don't know if it's any different, but you could try NetBScanner.
Thanks, it was worth a try but NetBScanner only returns the Windows PCs and not any of the Wizzes :(
Denon AVR -X2400H

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue May 08, 2018 19:16

Hi Paul,
Paul_oz53 wrote:
I tried LANscan as well but its results are a little unpredictable. I don't believe that all my devices are Browse Masters.

I use Windows 10 Professional and have put back the SMB 1 drivers to access some of my older gear.

Regards,
Ian.

raj
Master

Post by raj » Wed May 23, 2018 15:16

G'day,

Hope it is OK to post this in here.

I downloaded and installed the latest firmware update, and after going through the hoops to get everything back and setting IceTV to connect and repopulate the timers, I wanted to get into theT2 to do some tweaking to get everything as it was before, only when I went to my laptop I can see the T2 in Windows Explorer (Win7 Pro 64 bit), but when I open it, I only find the Movie folder and its trash folder. I cannot find a way of getting the root folder. It is not that I do not have the password set. In the Network setup on the T2 I have set a root password, but whether it is set or not, I just cannot get the root folder to show up.

I have tried rebooting my computer and rebooting the T2, but no luck.

I can see the T2, and from the T2, I can see the PC and its network and can access the files on my PC.

There appears to be something I've missed and forgotten with the upgrade.

Any ideas as to what needs to be done to get access to the root folder?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed May 23, 2018 15:22

raj wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 15:16
...There appears to be something I've missed and forgotten with the upgrade.

You missed this from the opening post -
Root_share.png

raj
Master

Post by raj » Wed May 23, 2018 15:42

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 15:22
raj wrote:
...There appears to be something I've missed and forgotten with the upgrade.

You missed this from the opening post -
Root_share.png
Missed that :(

It's just it did not cross my mind.

Anyhow, after some digging I located something about using FTTP to access the files so used this with FTP Commander and have added a FTP server to it with the relevant passwords in where needed and I can get to the files I want

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed May 23, 2018 15:45

raj wrote:

You might want to have a look in the topic Accessing </root> for a detailed discussion of accessing non-standard shares in the 17.5 firmware series.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

dfp
Apprentice

Post by dfp » Thu Jun 14, 2018 21:51

Since upgrading to this firmware I can't seem to get the hdd to spin down in standby mode. It seems to be spinning 24/7 and really annoying close to sleeping having that running. The setting the put HDD to sleep is on 5 mins, autotimers are set to "Go to standby" at end. This is the config I had prior to upgrade and it never kept spinning, am I missing something obvious? Other than that really annoying thing the firmware seems really good.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jun 14, 2018 22:11

Do you have debug logging enabled and directed to the HDD?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

dfp
Apprentice

Post by dfp » Thu Jun 14, 2018 22:33

Hi prl, um I wouldnt think so as its fresh load of firmware. Where is that setting? Thanks

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jun 14, 2018 22:42

dfp wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 22:33
Where is that setting? Thanks

In the Open Webif web browser interface to the PVR, in the Settings>Log settings section, but I suspect that since you needed to ask that, you probably haven't set it :)

What model Beyonwiz?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

dfp
Apprentice

Post by dfp » Thu Jun 14, 2018 22:48

confirmed no tickbox in webui enabling logs and model is t4

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jun 15, 2018 13:13

dfp wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 22:48
confirmed no tickbox in webui enabling logs and model is t4

I'll see if I can replicate it, then.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jun 15, 2018 17:49

I can't replicate the problem on either firmware 20180417 or 20180605.

After going into standby, there are a few HDD writes for a little while (possibly from disk cache flushes), and then disk activity stops. That means that the HDD spin down is delayed a bit from exactly 5 min after shutdown. The HDD I/O stats are also only polled 10 times per timeout interval (i.e for spin-down after 5 min idle time, stats are checked every 30 sec).

In one case I timed it as 5min40sec from starting standby to HDD spindown for a 5 min setting for "Hard disk standby after".

If you're not seeing that, then something must be accessing the HDD and preventing disk spin-down.

Do you make the HDD available as a Windows share?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

dfp
Apprentice

Post by dfp » Sat Jun 16, 2018 09:40

Hi Peter,

Interesting yes I do run a script to pull the news off the box into a dropbox nightly so I do have a SMB connection to do that but previously it woke up copied that file and went back to sleep. This happens about 8pm and the HDD is spinning at 8am next day still.

Should I disable SMB or something to confirm that is the cause?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:24

dfp wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 09:40
Should I disable SMB or something to confirm that is the cause?

It's worth a try. It's possible that something in the Samba server has changed in the 20180417 and it accesses the HDD for some reason.

It may also be worth trying to turn the idle wait time down to 1 minute from 5 minutes and see whether the HDD manages to spin down and then whether it gets started up again by something happening on the PVR.

Also, do you use AutoTimers, and if so, do you have "Require description to be unique" set to "Any service/recording" on any AutoTimers, and if so, what is the Poll interval set to for AutoTimers? The reason for the question is that for that setting of "Require description to be unique", the AutoTimer code can access your recording directory any time that it runs a poll to look for new timers.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

dfp
Apprentice

Post by dfp » Sat Jun 16, 2018 16:48

Currently got Samba service disabled, and it was running a auto timer that was set to finish on auto and drive still spinning also with the spindown set at 1 minute of no activity

Have just put it into deep standby for the moment to stop it spinning.

Also confirmed that all autotimers Require description to be unique is set to no already.

Is there any debugging can turn on to work out the source of the spin.

I did import my autotimers.xml from the older firmware however I didnt bring in any other xml's, could this have caused a bug?

Thanks

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jun 16, 2018 17:41

dfp wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 16:48
Is there any debugging can turn on to work out the source of the spin.

Yes, debugging can be switched on in OpenWebif, in Settings>Log settings. Click on the "Enable debugging" checkbox. Leave the Log location as the default /home/root: switching it to /media/hdd will make the logging affect whether the HDD is considered idle. Log files are in /home/root/logs, date stamped by system startup time.

I assume from what you've written below that you're reasonably OK with getting files on and off the PVR.

However, those log files may not be all that helpful for this problem.

If you are familiar with the commandline interface, you can fairly easily read the counters that are used to decide whether the HDD is idle.
The command:
awk '{print $1, $5}' /sys/block/sda/stat
prints the two counters (reads from device, writes to device) that are used to check whether the disk is idle. If they don't change for more than 5 min (default setting), the HDD is spun down.

Once you've verified that there is HDD activity that's stopping the spin-down, you can then find which files processes have open on the HDD:

root@beyonwizu4:/proc# ls -l /proc/[0-9]*/fd 2> /dev/null | awk '/\/media\/hdd/{print $11}'
/media/hdd/logs/Enigma2-2018-06-16_09-12-07.log
/media/hdd/timeshift/timeshift.ZfV4iT
/media/hdd/timeshift/timeshift.ZfV4iT.sc
root@beyonwizu4:/proc#
That's from a running U4, with logging directed to the HDD. In standby, I get:

root@beyonwizu4:/proc# ls -l /proc/[0-9]*/fd 2> /dev/null | awk '/\/media\/hdd/{print $11}'
The timeshift files have been closed.

You can also extend that to see whether the files are being written to:

root@beyonwizu4:/proc# ls -l `ls -l /proc/[0-9]*/fd 2> /dev/null | awk '/\/media\/hdd/{print $11}'`
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        162786 Jun 16 17:34 /media/hdd/logs/Enigma2-2018-06-16_09-12-07.log
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        162786 Jun 16 17:34 /media/hdd/logs/Enigma2-2018-06-16_09-12-07.log
If you repeat the command, you can see whether the file sizes and/or modify timestamps are changing.

Unfortunately, it's hard to check for file-specific read activity this way :(

Apologies if that's all gobbledygook to you - the Unix shell and command set are quite powerful, but can be a little cryptic if you're not familiar with it.
dfp wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 16:48
I did import my autotimers.xml from the older firmware however I didnt bring in any other xml's, could this have caused a bug?

That should be OK, and shouldn't cause any problems.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

dfp
Apprentice

Post by dfp » Sun Jun 17, 2018 15:10

Hi Peter,

If i continually run this command while running the counters are changing:

root@beyonwizt4:~# awk '{print $1, $5}' /sys/block/sda/stat
15220 9461
15221 9522
15221 9524
15221 9534

But in standby I get no change in counters but an audibly spinning whistle from the hard drive - but you can only hear the spin not the clicking of access you normally hear when a hard drive is writing.

15223 10578
15223 10578
15223 10578
15223 10578

I'm not sure im running these other commands correctly as no response:

root@beyonwizt4:~# /proc# ls -l /proc/[0-9]*/fd 2> /dev/null | awk '/\/media\/hdd/{print $11}'
root@beyonwizt4:~#

This could be because ive also turned off timeshift

something strange is going on....however i did just had one thought.......EPGrefresh plugin i have this loaded to refresh the EPG could a setting in this be the cause

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jun 17, 2018 16:38

dfp wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 15:10
But in standby I get no change in counters but an audibly spinning whistle from the hard drive - but you can only hear the spin not the clicking of access you normally hear when a hard drive is writing.

15223 10578
15223 10578
15223 10578
15223 10578

How far apart are you running the checks? The HDD needs to be idle for the whole idle timeout time.

dfp wrote:
I'm not sure im running these other commands correctly as no response:

root@beyonwizt4:~# /proc# ls -l /proc/[0-9]*/fd 2> /dev/null | awk '/\/media\/hdd/{print $11}'
root@beyonwizt4:~#

This could be because ive also turned off timeshift

An empty return just means "no files open on the HDD at the moment". It doesn't help for files that are opened, written and then closed a short time later.

In standby, timeshift doesn't run anyway. If it did, the HDD would never be idle.
dfp wrote:
something strange is going on....however i did just had one thought.......EPGrefresh plugin i have this loaded to refresh the EPG could a setting in this be the cause

It seems unlikely unless you changed the EPG cache location to the HDD. But then the EPG cache gets written to reasonably frequently whether you run EPGRefresh or not, so putting the EPG cache on the HDD could stop the HDD from spinning down..
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

dfp
Apprentice

Post by dfp » Sun Jun 17, 2018 16:43

Those update checks were over 3 mins with hdd spin down set to 1 minute.

I have since done a longer check over 6 mins with no changes and no spindown.

I've now removed the epgrefresh plugin also entirely to rule that out, so currently smb, DNLA, timeshift are all in a disabled state.

On an initial boot the hdd does write for awhile when then put into standby on those counters but once its idling with no writing the hdd is still whiring away but no actual clicking heard just the spin of the drive.

I am wondering whether to reload the firmware again but doubt this will correct it.

Thanks

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jun 17, 2018 17:28

It's got me wondering whether the firmware is in fact trying to spin down the HDD, but the HDD is ignoring the request. That doesn't seem likely, given that it worked on earlier firmware, but it's probably worth checking.

You'll need to enable debug logging and make sure it's directed to /home/root, then

rm /home/root/logs/E*.log

<restart UI>
<standby>
<check the HDD IO counts to make sure the the HDD is idle>

When the timeout time is well past and the HDD has been idle for the whole time:

root@beyonwizu4:~/logs# grep '[hs]dparm' /home/root/logs/E*.log
{3099}<  3812.264> [Console] command: ('sdparm', 'sdparm', '--set=SCT=0', '/dev/sda')
{3099}<  3812.264> [eConsoleAppContainer] Starting sdparm
{3099}<  4000.297> [Console] command: ('sdparm', 'sdparm', '--flexible', '--readonly', '--command=stop', '/dev/sda')
{3099}<  4000.297> [eConsoleAppContainer] Starting sdparm
{3099}<  4000.943> [Console] finished: ('sdparm', 'sdparm', '--flexible', '--readonly', '--command=stop', '/dev/sda')
root@beyonwizu4:~/logs# 
The --command=stop is the run of sdparm that should spin down the HDD.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

dfp
Apprentice

Post by dfp » Sun Jun 17, 2018 17:56

Have enabled debug log in web ui

Rebooted, but not seeings a logs folder as well as:

root@beyonwizt4:~# ~/logs# grep '[hs]dparm' /home/root/logs/E*.log
-sh: /home/root/logs#: No such file or directory

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jun 17, 2018 18:06

dfp wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 17:56
root@beyonwizt4:~# ~/logs# grep '[hs]dparm' /home/root/logs/E*.log
-sh: /home/root/logs#: No such file or directory

That's not failing to see the logs folder. It's failing to see a program called ~/logs#. Which is what I'd expect to happen when you copy/pasted that.

If I post
root@beyonwizu4:~/logs# grep '[hs]dparm' /home/root/logs/E*.log
in a text screengrab, you want to copy/paste in the stuff that's after the # , so copy/paste in:
grep '[hs]dparm' /home/root/logs/E*.log

Now that I think about it, I think you did the same sort of thing when I meant you to run:
ls -l /proc/[0-9]*/fd 2> /dev/null | awk '/\/media\/hdd/{print $11}'

The bit leading up to # is just the commandline prompt. The first command in the line in those two cases are ls (list directory, similar to DOS DIR) and grep (regular expression text search - I don't know of a close equivalent in the DOS command set). And yes, grep is a weird name. It comes from an old Unix editor, where the command g/re/p would print all the lines matching the regular expression re.

In this case the [hs] in the grep pattern means "match either 'h' or 's'", so the whole pattern matches either "sdparm" or "hdparm".
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

dfp
Apprentice

Post by dfp » Sun Jun 17, 2018 18:10

Ah yes, thanks that is correct. Have recordings running currently so may need to wait until a later time to retry these.

I can see the recording running under that second command as we would expect currently when pasting the correct command oops.

Will get back to you once I can get a time it should be idle again.

The HDD in the unit is the 6tb that came with the 6tb model (Not post installed)

Return to “Official Firmware Images”