Removal of non essential plugins

Moderators: Gully, peteru

peteru
Uber Wizard

Re: Removal of non essential plugins

Post by peteru » Thu May 05, 2016 22:00

prl wrote:Perhaps plugin bundles might be a useful idea. I don't know if that's supported in opkg, though.
It is possible to create empty meta-packages that only consist of dependencies on other packages. Thus installing a meta package causes a whole bundle of packages to be installed. Of course, this has downsides too. If you want to remove one package from the bundle, you need to uninstall the whole lot or manually break the dependencies. It's probably not a good idea to head down that path at this stage.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Sat May 21, 2016 21:30

Hi,

Another one I'd leave off is the DLNA server, or at least disabled by default.

dRdoS7

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat May 21, 2016 22:18

dRdoS7 wrote: Another one I'd leave off is the DLNA server, or at least disabled by default.
+1 for disabling it by default, especially since the enable/disable setting is one that cannot be backed up.

I'd say it would not be a good idea to remove entirely since it is a useful feature for some users and is very much a core feature for media sharing.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

glen
Guru

Post by glen » Sat May 21, 2016 23:59

dRdoS7 wrote:Hi,

Another one I'd leave off is the DLNA server, or at least disabled by default.

dRdoS7
We had a discussion about this some time ago, everyone was unanimous that it should be disabled by default. WizHQ responded to a PM from me to him requesting it be disabled stating that he would discuss it with PeterU but unfortunately it seemed to go no where.

Glen

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sun May 22, 2016 23:01

It's not gone nowhere. At this stage it remains enabled because there are many users out there that will expect their Beyonwiz to be found by DLNA enabled devices.

Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon May 23, 2016 10:35

It would be useful to be able to preserve the enabled/disabled state of the network services items (Samba/NFS/DLNA/DYN-DNS) in the settings backup. I haven't been able to work out how that can be done within the current settings backup system, because disabling these services removes a symbolic link from /etc/rc2.d, and the non-existence of a file can't be represented in a tar archive (which is what the settings backup is).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon May 23, 2016 10:47

prl wrote:It would be useful to be able to preserve the enabled/disabled state of the network services items (Samba/NFS/DLNA/DYN-DNS) in the settings backup. I haven't been able to work out how that can be done within the current settings backup system, because disabling these services removes a symbolic link from /etc/rc2.d, and the non-existence of a file can't be represented in a tar archive (which is what the settings backup is).
I was thinking about that problem, since you had pointed out in the past that it was not straightforward, and I figured it was tied up in the init scripts.
Could we just have another init script that runs on boot (or even at shutdown), and checks what the state of those services is supposed to be and enables/disables them as required.

I figure, the user would restore their settings, be prompted to reboot, then the new script would run and sort out the other services, and things would then be back to the way the user wanted it.

I'm not entirely across what other hazards that might introduce though.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon May 23, 2016 11:37

MrQuade wrote:...
I was thinking about that problem, since you had pointed out in the past that it was not straightforward, and I figured it was tied up in the init scripts.
Could we just have another init script that runs on boot (or even at shutdown), and checks what the state of those services is supposed to be and enables/disables them as required.
That would probably be possible, but it's a bit ugly. It would be modifing the set of scripts that run at startup/shutdown as the scripts are run. I think that a kill script that runs after step 20 (the step where the network services are started/stopped) and forces the enable/disable of the services in /etc/init.d would work.

I'm also not sure how well putting non-standard init scripts into the firmware sits with the system build scripts.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue May 24, 2016 00:53

Don't go there. These packages use standard system V init scripts that come from upstream. I don't want to hack the base distro to deviate.

Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue May 24, 2016 11:00

peteru wrote:Don't go there. These packages use standard system V init scripts that come from upstream. I don't want to hack the base distro to deviate.
I rather suspected that changing the /etc/init.d scripts would get in the way.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue May 24, 2016 21:31

prl wrote:
peteru wrote:Don't go there. These packages use standard system V init scripts that come from upstream. I don't want to hack the base distro to deviate.
I rather suspected that changing the /etc/init.d scripts would get in the way.
Fair enough.

How about a change to the backup and restore scripts to check and set the runlevel of the various services rather than simply taking a backup of the settings files?

Return to “Plugins”