HbbTV plugin

Moderators: Gully, peteru

kazz
Apprentice

HbbTV plugin

Post by kazz » Wed May 27, 2015 18:27

Hi guys, I tried to use hbbtv today but can't seem to get it to work. I push the blue button and it comes up with the list of options, I select hbbtv and then the corresponding option ie: 9jumpin etc. The front panel of the T3 has HbbTV scrolling across the front but nothing actually happens other than that, am I not waiting long enough?

prl
Wizard God

Re: HbbTV plugin

Post by prl » Wed May 27, 2015 18:40

kazz wrote:Hi guys, I tried to use hbbtv today but can't seem to get it to work. I push the blue button and it comes up with the list of options, I select hbbtv and then the corresponding option ie: 9jumpin etc. The front panel of the T3 has HbbTV scrolling across the front but nothing actually happens other than that, am I not waiting long enough?
I used HbbTV to watch a couple of programs on ABC iView a week or so ago. I was very pleased with the performance.

I'm not sure how SBS's On Demand goes on the T3. I haven't tried it in a long time.

As for the commercial services, their HbbTV (as part of "Free"viewPlus) is DRM'd and as I understand it the necessary keys are only made available to FreeviewPlus certified manufacturers. Beyonwiz isn't one of them.

So yes, you probably didn't wait long enough. All you have to do is wait for the Freeview partners to release their DRM keys for Beyonwiz to use on an open source platform. And probably for Beyonwiz to agree to all the other "freedoms" that Freeview likes people to have.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

kazz
Apprentice

Post by kazz » Wed May 27, 2015 19:22

prl wrote: I used HbbTV to watch a couple of programs on ABC iView a week or so ago. I was very pleased with the performance.

I'm not sure how SBS's On Demand goes on the T3. I haven't tried it in a long time.

As for the commercial services, their HbbTV (as part of "Free"viewPlus) is DRM'd and as I understand it the necessary keys are only made available to FreeviewPlus certified manufacturers. Beyonwiz isn't one of them.

So yes, you probably didn't wait long enough. All you have to do is wait for the Freeview partners to release their DRM keys for Beyonwiz to use on an open source platform. And probably for Beyonwiz to agree to all the other "freedoms" that Freeview likes people to have.
Ah ok that makes sense, I was trying for channel 7 as I missed House Rules last night due to the IceTV issues .
I've just tried ABC iView and it works fine. I'd much rather have the the real freedoms that the T3 offers than crippled freeview "freedoms".

Thanks Peter. :)

Mikew_wa
Apprentice

HbbTV plugin T3

Post by Mikew_wa » Wed Sep 30, 2015 13:12

I noted that the Hbb plugin has vanished from the Blue Button so I un-installed the plugin and reinstalled it. It did not re-appear on the Blue Button menu, and when I pressed the plugin button I got a pop-up which read

Extensions/HbbTV (no module named libshm)

anyone seen this?

Mike
Push to test... Release to detonate

DP Lite I
T3

peteru
Uber Wizard

Re: HbbTV plugin T3

Post by peteru » Wed Sep 30, 2015 13:19

Mikew_wa wrote:anyone seen this?
No.

Please post more information about which device, firmware version, TV channel and what components have you installed or uninstalled.

You may also want to backup your settings, reflash from USB and then restore settings.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Mikew_wa
Apprentice

Post by Mikew_wa » Wed Sep 30, 2015 17:29

It' a T3 (in the subject line) I'll try the USB restore and see how I get on

cheers
Mike

DP Lite I
T3

Mikew_wa
Apprentice

Post by Mikew_wa » Wed Sep 30, 2015 17:44

well a USB restore cured it.... so I gather one does not need to install the Hbb plugin and go with the default set-up

Mike

DP Lite I
T3

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Sep 30, 2015 18:33

Mikew_wa wrote:... so I gather one does not need to install the Hbb plugin and go with the default set-up ...
That is correct. The HbbTV plugin is pre-installed.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

rfmoore
Apprentice

Post by rfmoore » Fri Oct 02, 2015 13:53

These posts enticed me to try HBB TV which I had not used since purchasing my T4 last month. I Managed to get onto ABC 2 via Freeview Plus. The T4 will now not turn off via the remote. The front panel reads "Freeview Plus for HBB TV". To recover I had to reset via the power switch. Is this the normal procedure to reset?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Oct 02, 2015 14:04

Hi Rfmoore,

Pressing EXIT (possibly a few times) should remove the text on the front panel and restore control back to the Beyonwiz user interface.

Regards,
Ian.

rfmoore
Apprentice

Post by rfmoore » Fri Oct 30, 2015 17:16

I can't receive Iview via HBBtv. I can receive ABC.

I can stream videos from my PC to my T4 via my wireless connection but when I stream recordings from my T4 to my PC and IPad they suffer badly from buffering. The buffering problem also occurs with WizOz. I am connected to my modem/router, PC and IPad via a wireless connection.

I'm running the beta software 2015-10-29 15.59 and bootloader Thu Apr 2 03:38:12.

When I select iview via the blue button from live TV and then HBBtv the live TV keeps running for a minute or two until a grey scree appears and again after about a minute the Iview logo appears in the top left corner of the screen and a red button appears in the right bottom corner. These remain for about 30 seconds before the screen clears and a message "connection issue. Please retry in a few minutes" appears. Retrying does not result in a connection.

This issue has been consistent through the official firmware initially installed on the machine, through the latest official firmware and now a few iterations of the beta until the latest beta which I am running now. Any ideas?
Last edited by rfmoore on Fri Oct 30, 2015 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Oct 30, 2015 17:23

I just tried, and I got the iView home page after about 10 sec or so.

ABC Black Mountain Canberra, firmware 2015-10-29 16:19 (latest beta).

But iView has worked for me for quite a while now, certainly from before the most recent official firmware.

The "connection issue" sounds like an internet connectivity problem (HbbTV is an internet service). It sounds like your T4 has poor and/or unreliable wireless access. What bitrate does MENU>Setup>Information>Network show for the wireless connection on the T4.

Paragraphs aid legibility.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

rfmoore
Apprentice

Post by rfmoore » Fri Oct 30, 2015 17:45

54 Mb/s strength 50 dBm link Quality 96 to 100/100

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Oct 30, 2015 17:55

It does sound like a LAN/WLAN throughput issue like prl suggested.

The videos stored on your PC are probably lower bitrate than the recordings stored on the T4, so that might mean that your wireless connection is good for the lower bitrate files on the PC going to the T4, but the other way round tips it over the edge.

You might also want to check and make sure you are not getting any IP address collisions on your network (if you are automatically assigning dynamic IP addresses from your local DHCP server/router). I had a bugger of a time tracking down random dropouts and nasty little glitches on my network until I discovered that my crappy DHCP server was handing out duplicate IPs.

Getting partway into iView like you are does smell a little like data is being dropped somewhere on your network.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Oct 30, 2015 23:02

Hi,

No iview issues here in Melbourne on my T3. Current beta and a wired connection.

Regards,
Ian.

rfmoore
Apprentice

Post by rfmoore » Sat Oct 31, 2015 19:41

As Mr Quade has surmised I think data was being dropped as I'v changed to a billion wireless router I had hanging around the house and although the bit rate and other properties are the same as the negear router I can now get iView and you tube with no problems. The streaming problems between the T4 and my other devices has also been fixed. Now to solve the problem of how to play .WMV files on the Sony TV via the T4.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Oct 31, 2015 19:48

rfmoore wrote:As Mr Quade has surmised I think data was being dropped as I'v changed to a billion wireless router I had hanging around the house and although the bit rate and other properties are the same as the negear router I can now get iView and you tube with no problems. The streaming problems between the T4 and my other devices has also been fixed. Now to solve the problem of how to play .WMV files on the Sony TV via the T4.
Hehehe. Keep an eye out. As you can see from my sig, I too am using a Billion router, and that was the one handing out duplicate IPs. I think it will only be a problem if you have lots of intermittent wireless connections though (like phones and tablets).

.WMV files are a mixed bag. If they are from legitimate sources, often .wmv's can have DRM protection applied to them, which means you can't watch them on devices that are not the PC that you downloaded them on. If they are DRM free though, I am not sure what the issue could be.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Oct 31, 2015 20:56

It's most likely an issue with the Sony TV. The T4 will not do any transcoding on DLNA content, it will effectively just copy/stream those files to the TV, bit for bit. From all indications, the TV attempts playback and then chokes on the content. Simplest test may be to put one of these files on a USB drive and see how the TV deals with the file. If it fails the same way, it's conclusively problem at the TV end. If it plays, it could still be a problem at the TV, but with DLNA rather than media playback capability.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

AvB
Apprentice

Can't access HbbTV

Post by AvB » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:30

Learning how to use my new T2. I'd like to be able to access Iview and SBS on Demand. (we can get these thru the Panasonic TV too, but it's not great).

When I long press the red button I just get a message saying "Hbbtv browser was not running. Please running browser before start Hbbtv application".

Any ideas??

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:54

Always better to start a new topic rather than add to a topic when you have a problem or better still in this case search for existing ones as this problem is already being discussed as a problem in the current beta.
Cheers
Gully

AvB
Apprentice

Post by AvB » Mon Mar 28, 2016 18:30

Thanks Gully. Can you point me to the relevant thread as I've searched and the ones I've seen don't seem to be about this specific issue.
Thanks,
Andrew

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Mar 28, 2016 19:34

In the current beta topic starting at this post

viewtopic.php?p=136892#p136892
Cheers
Gully

Return to “Plugins”