TerrestrialScan

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Huevos
Apprentice

TerrestrialScan

Post by Huevos » Sun Sep 26, 2021 02:21

Does a scan and creates a bouquet sorted by LCN.

Source: https://github.com/oe-alliance/TerrestrialScan

If anyone is interested in testing this out in Beyonwiz I could post the *.ipk.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: TerrestrialScan

Post by MrQuade » Sun Sep 26, 2021 08:12

Huevos wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 02:21
Does a scan and creates a bouquet sorted by LCN.
This feature is already built into our base firmware.

Do you know if this plug-in does anything extra?
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:25

AFAIK, it's a re-write from scratch of the function. I think it removes a lot of the hokeyness in the Beyonwiz code that does the same job (even after my work on reducing the bugginess of the original BW code).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun Sep 26, 2021 13:02

Plus would it handle the Aussie 7 MHz RF-channel spacing?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Sep 26, 2021 13:11

The channel spacing and bandwidth is in the terrestrial.xml file. I'm pretty sure that I've used this plugin in OpenViX.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Huevos
Apprentice

Post by Huevos » Mon Sep 27, 2021 08:15

Bandplan for AUS was just simple arithmetic.

https://github.com/oe-alliance/Terrestr ... #L139-L144

Just select Australia for the bandplan in the setup menu.
7.jpg

rfmoore
Apprentice

Post by rfmoore » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:31

Where is this feature located on my T4 Build 20210900

I created my own bouquet deleting all the shopping and racing channels using Webif, the process was very labour intensive.
Dose this apk allow the user to delete channels before it automatically produce the new bouquet?
Reg

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:47

rfmoore wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:31
Where is this feature located on my T4 Build 20210900

Doing a service scan on the Beyonwiz firmware will create the Terrestrial TV LCN bouquet, which is pretty close to what Huevos's TerrestrialPlugin will do. TerrestrialScan takes a different approach in the software, and is (IIRC) more configurable, but the outcome is pretty much the same.
rfmoore wrote:
I created my own bouquet deleting all the shopping and racing channels using Webif, the process was very labour intensive.

It's not all that hard is it? Our favourites bouquet only has about 20 entries in it after eliminating the junk channels and the SD versions of the HD channels. Or are you creating the favourites bouquet in a way that fakes up the LCN numbering, like Terrestrial TV LCN does? That's considerably more work.

If you're modifying the Terrestrial TV LCN bouquet, I'd recommend against that, because it will get overwritten each time you do a scan.
rfmoore wrote:
Dose this apk allow the user to delete channels before it automatically produce the new bouquet?

I don't believe so. It's a bit hard for it to have a convenient interface to allow you to select channels when it doesn't yet know what the channels will be.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Huevos
Apprentice

Post by Huevos » Sat Oct 09, 2021 02:04

I don't believe so. It's a bit hard for it to have a convenient interface to allow you to select channels when it doesn't yet know what the channels will be.
Yes, correct. It is a feature in ABM where channels can be renumbered or removed but this was supposed to be simple and just create one bouquet numbered as per the broadcaster LCN numbers. If Beyonwiz has that feature built in there is probably not much this can add that is not already present.

This plugin should also handle overlap areas. i.e. if there are 2 channels with LCN 1 it will put the stronger one in position 1 and the weaker one in the secondary channels section (as per the AUS specs, but that has never been tested).

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Oct 09, 2021 17:45

These features have been in the Beyonwiz firmware since 2014. They are extensively tested and have been tweaked over the years based on feedback from users who may be in what one would consider "challenging reception" areas. The initial implementation was fine tuned for best performance on inihdx hardware.

I don't expect that there will be big demand for this plugin from most user of the Beyonwiz firmware, but it is nice to have an alternative implementation for those users who like to experiment and compare.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Oct 09, 2021 17:56

Huevos wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 08:15
Bandplan for AUS was just simple arithmetic.

Kinda, sorta, but yeah, but no. There's 9A as well as the +/- 125kHz interference offset. A simple implementation will mostly work for most people in most places, which is probably good enough to ship the product. The spectrum re-allocation introduced some changes, but that is now a historical footnote that one does not have to worry about in new designs.

I've spent a lot of time working with many manufacturers over the years on getting their tuner modules working properly in Australia. Often this can involve some fundamental changes to very low level stuff, including reprogramming the PLLs for different IF. Many manufacturers were very surprised to find out just how much more challenging the Australian broadcasting environment is when compared to other parts of the world, including Europe.

Blog.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Oct 09, 2021 18:23

Huevos wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 02:21
Source: https://github.com/oe-alliance/TerrestrialScan

Did this move to it's own repository from https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-allia ... strialScan ? Is the oe-alliance-plugins version still being updated? I can see some recent commits.

The oe-alliance-plugins version was already in the Beyonwiz feeds between 2016 and 2019. It was removed in 2021 as the server logs indicated that the plugin was not being downloaded and installed by users. It is still available in the production feed, version 19.3+git2739+64fa306-r1.9. If there is any interest, I could add the version from oe-alliance-plugins back to the feeds without too much work, once the current release candidate is promoted to an official release. However, I don't really want to do that if there is no real demand for it.

Blog.

Return to “Plugins”