Any plugin to reduce the volume of ads?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

telesynth
Apprentice

Any plugin to reduce the volume of ads?

Post by telesynth » Fri Oct 19, 2018 16:37

Ads are psychoacoustically louder than programmes. Anything to automatically lower the volume for ads?

prl
Wizard God

Re: Any plugin to reduce the volume of ads?

Post by prl » Fri Oct 19, 2018 16:49

I don't know of any Beyonwiz plugin that detects advertisements. If there were, we'd also be able to autoskip ads in playback and automatically edit out them out of recordings. The only device I know of in the Australian market that could do that was the ill-fated IceTV Skippa, and even then, I think it could only do it for recordings, not live TV.

We just use mute on the fairly infrequent occasions we watch live TV, and skip ads otherwise.

The standards the broadcasters set themselves (and have agreed with the ACMA to follow) are set out in Free TV OP59 Measurement and Management of Loudness for TV Broadcasting. I don't know enough about the area or the standards referenced to be able to say how much wriggle room that document allows for. Its Appendix 3 sometimes sounds a bit weasel-wordy to me.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

telesynth
Apprentice

Post by telesynth » Fri Oct 19, 2018 17:22

Thanks. I was hoping there is something in the signal which could be identified as an ad.
We just use mute on the fairly infrequent occasions we watch live TV, and skip ads otherwise
Yeah, hardly ever watch live here too. Either wait half an hour and go back in the buffer or turn it off becasue its too annoying :lol:

Ads are evil because they struggle to get your attention without breaking the law. So they use sounds we are programmed to respond to.

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 17:56

Hi,
telesynth wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 17:22
Thanks. I was hoping there is something in the signal which could be identified as an ad.
We just use mute on the fairly infrequent occasions we watch live TV, and skip ads otherwise
Yeah, hardly ever watch live here too. Either wait half an hour and go back in the buffer or turn it off becasue its too annoying :lol:

Ads are evil because they struggle to get your attention without breaking the law. So they use sounds we are programmed to respond to.
I think most of us here have responded to those sounds by buying a PVR! :D

BTW, WTF is "Live TV"? :shock:

dRdoS7

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Oct 19, 2018 20:48

telesynth wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 17:22

Not a hope.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:38

On playback there are a number of editing packages that claim to detect commercials and put a bookmark on the time line to assist in editing out, VideRedo, TSDoctor and Womble. They are often close but not close enough to rely on in an automatic sense. They rely on a range of strategies from detecting average brightness change, audio dynamics change or momentary silence and absence of station logo during ccommercial.... none are remotely 100% accurate. The mute button is your friend... :D
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

telesynth
Apprentice

Post by telesynth » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:21

My pet peeve is the ad 'music' which is people shouting words rather than strictly singing. Its the maximum allowed loudness but our brain wiring takes notice of it. Notice also how much louder crowds at goal scores are and they are also within the maximum loudness.

I await until AI listens and reduces the volume of unwanted sounds. Have you seen what this software can do to music? It can isolate, attenuate or eliminate vocals, drums or bass. https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rep ... lance.html It either doesn't work well or it achieves magic results. Usually the latter.

Return to “Plugins”