Pressing Menu causing crash after removing Picture Player

Moderators: Gully, peteru

dRdoS7
Wizard

Pressing Menu causing crash after removing Picture Player

Post by dRdoS7 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 17:28

Hi,

I installed Picture Player & MP3 Browser plugins last week. Tested them and thought "no".

I finally got around to removing them, and now when I press Menu, the T2 crashes.

The error log mentions a module "PicturePlayer.ui".

How can I fix this?

Crash log:
Enigma2_crash_2017-02-15_18-20-32.log
(16.71 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Thanks,

dRdoS7

EDIT: I should for the benefit of others that MP3 Browser seemed stuck on loading my MP3s into a database, and PP was no better than the included plugin.

prl
Wizard God

Re: Pressing Menu causing crash after removing Picture Playe

Post by prl » Wed Feb 15, 2017 17:55

The crash log says you're running firmware version 20170209.

In that version (and probably other versions), the FileCommander will crash with that error if the PicturePlayer is not installed. I can reproduce the crash just by renaming /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/PicturePlayer/ui.pyo to a different name (the Import Error text is slightly different because I haven't done exactly the same as deleting the PicturePlayer plugin).

Was the PicturePlayer you downloaded even a different version from the pre-installed one (5.3+git38511)? The version number is in the Remove/Download plugin lists.

You can fix it by re-installing PicturePlayer. You'll have to be careful and avoid the use of the MENU button. Start up and use the PLUGIN button to go straight to the Plugin Browser. In the state you're in, Remove plugins won't work, but Download plugins should.

If you can't get that to work, you'll have to reinstall the firmware from USB.

Some pre-installed plugins shouldn't be removed, because of hard-coded dependencies in the firmware. You may have seen similar warnings elsewhere in the forum.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Feb 15, 2017 17:56

Do you still have the default "extensions/pictureplayer" plugin installed? Perhaps that was inadvertently removed (being one of the apparently essential plugins).

Press BLUE from live TV and see if "Picture player" appears.

Also, from a command prompt, try:

Code: Select all

opkg list-installed *pictureplayer
You should see something like:

root@beyonwizt2:~# opkg list-installed *pictureplayer
enigma2-plugin-extensions-pictureplayer - 3.0+git35072+37b4d77-r29.0
If not, try this:

opkg install enigma2-plugin-extensions-pictureplayer
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 18:04

prl wrote:The crash log says you're running firmware version 20170209.

In that version (and probably other versions), the FileCommander will crash with that error if the PicturePlayer is not installed. I can reproduce the crash just by renaming /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/PicturePlayer/ui.pyo to a different name (the Import Error text is slightly different because I haven't done exactly the same as deleting the PicturePlayer plugin).

Was the PicturePlayer you downloaded even a different version from the pre-installed one (5.3+git38511)? The version number is in the Remove/Download plugin lists.

You can fix it by re-installing PicturePlayer. You'll have to be careful and avoid the use of the MENU button. Start up and use the PLUGIN button to go straight to the Plugin Browser. In the state you're in, Remove plugins won't work, but Download plugins should.

If you can't get that to work, you'll have to reinstall the firmware from USB.

Some pre-installed plugins shouldn't be removed, because of hard-coded dependencies in the firmware. You may have seen similar warnings elsewhere in the forum.
"Remove/Download plugin lists." is currently inaccessible!

To avoid problems for others, possibly plugins that will cause a crash if removed, should be marked as such (though that won't stop FWs like me from accidentally doing it), or they should be unremovable.

Just a thought. Same some service calls! :lol:

But then, you know Murphy's 7th Law (I think) about making system foolproof?

I don't know what version of PP, I do know it was different in operation to the installed one, and that was what I thought I was removing. I was hoping it had a rotation option.

Thanks,

dRdoS7

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Feb 15, 2017 18:09

dRdoS7 wrote: To avoid problems for others, possibly plugins that will cause a crash if removed, should be marked as such (though that won't stop FWs like me from accidentally doing it), or they should be unremovable.
So what if "Opera, YouTube, Shoutcast, LastFm, Email, & HbbTV" were all flagged as "unremovable"? ;)
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Feb 15, 2017 18:13

dRdoS7 wrote:Remove/Download plugin lists." is currently inaccessible!
Yes, I said that it wouldn't be. And it doesn't matter, since the fix is to download the missing plugin. Ignore the warning, press OK, and then press GREEN Download plugins.

From the rather sketchy outline of what you've posted, I guess that you did was:
Remove PictirePlayer
Download PicturePlayer
Remove PicturePlayer.

Certainly at the time of the crash, PicturePlayer was not installed.

Don't uninstall pre-installed plugins unless you're sure it's safe to do so. It's not, for many of them.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 18:29

Hi,
MrQuade wrote:Do you still have the default "extensions/pictureplayer" plugin installed? Perhaps that was inadvertently removed (being one of the apparently essential plugins).

Press BLUE from live TV and see if "Picture player" appears.

Also, from a command prompt, try:

opkg list-installed *pictureplayer
You should see something like:

root@beyonwizt2:~# opkg list-installed *pictureplayer
enigma2-plugin-extensions-pictureplayer - 3.0+git35072+37b4d77-r29.0
If not, try this:

opkg install enigma2-plugin-extensions-pictureplayer
I pressed Blue, and I'm sure PP wasn't in the list. I tried that after the first crash. So looks like I'm the culprit.

The "opkg install ..." worked.

I've checked, after a reboot, and the only other plugin is "picturecenterfs", this is not in my list of installed plugins, but the installable list.

Only thing I can think of is that when I installed both MP3 Browser & picturecenterfs at the same time, I removed the latter straight away, after testing it, then left MP3 Browser for later testing, and even later removal. :oops: :oops:

Too much sh1t going on here the last couple of weeks, so who knows? My brain hurts. :shock:

It's like when you shouldn't drive tired.

Thanks,

dRdoS7

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 19:18

Hi,
prl wrote:
dRdoS7 wrote:Remove/Download plugin lists." is currently inaccessible!
Yes, I said that it wouldn't be.
Doesn't that make a double negative? IE. Wouldn't be inaccessible = Accessible

OK, I found that further down the post, problem is that my Harmony doesn't have a "Plugin" button. :roll:

I was thinking I needed to press the "Blue" button, where of course it doesn't appear. Though it does appear in the Plugins Menu.

All fixed now.
From the rather sketchy outline of what you've posted, I guess that you did was:
Remove PictirePlayer
Download PicturePlayer
Remove PicturePlayer.

Certainly at the time of the crash, PicturePlayer was not installed.

Don't uninstall pre-installed plugins unless you're sure it's safe to do so. It's not, for many of them.
I definitely did not remove PP first, I installed a totally different one (see my previous post).

There are several plugins which we're told are bad to remove, but doing so has caused no harm. I have been removing those ever since I got my T2. Mostly, my problems have been accidentally removing the wrong one. There was a problem early on removing Picasa, but that was fixed.

How do we know whether it's safe unless we try? We'd still be living on a flat Earth. Without oysters! :lol:

As I said I was trying to find a better picture player, but no, it wasn't.
MrQuade wrote:
dRdoS7 wrote: To avoid problems for others, possibly plugins that will cause a crash if removed, should be marked as such (though that won't stop FWs like me from accidentally doing it), or they should be unremovable.
So what if "Opera, YouTube, Shoutcast, LastFm, Email, & HbbTV" were all flagged as "unremovable"? ;)
:(

Those really aren't "essential", the only reason I leave Shoutcast is that the menu would look odd with nothing in that list, and I thought it may have an adverse effect on the operation of my T2, kind of like removing FileCommander!!! :lol:

What about "Webcam Viewer"? Unless it belongs to someone else!!! Several spring to mind. 8)

I have no problem leaving plugins that are needed, but quite a few pre-installed ones are not. My definition of a plugin is something that isn't essential, but is an addon to enhance. I understand it's not so with the enigma.

We've had this discussion, and I believe they should not be installed by default, same with IceTV.

Maybe once the beta is locked away, it can be revisited?

Actual, really essential plugins should be locked, or at least flagged as such. Just my opinion, and I know how much that's valued.

Thanks,

dRdoS7

EDIT: Picture Player isn't in the list when "Blue" is pressed, yet it is in the main Menu, but called "Photos".

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Feb 15, 2017 22:34

Hi dRdoS7,
dRdoS7 wrote:I have no problem leaving plugins that are needed, but quite a few pre-installed ones are not. My definition of a plugin is something that isn't essential, but is an addon to enhance. I understand it's not so with the enigma.
This is not an Enigma2 problem. This is a *feature* of the Beyonwiz menu system. Other builds of Enigma2 don't use the Beyonwiz style of menu for the Main or top level Setup menus.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Feb 16, 2017 18:14

dRdoS7 wrote:Hi,
IanSav wrote:Hi dRdoS7,
dRdoS7 wrote:I have no problem leaving plugins that are needed, but quite a few pre-installed ones are not. My definition of a plugin is something that isn't essential, but is an addon to enhance. I understand it's not so with the enigma.
This is not an Enigma2 problem. This is a *feature* of the Beyonwiz menu system. Other builds of Enigma2 don't use the Beyonwiz style of menu for the Main or top level Setup menus.

Regards,
Ian.
OK, I stand (sitting) corrected.

Out of interest, and getting OT: do other versions use the Exit button as a Back button, or an Exit button?

Thanks,

dRdoS7
This post and the replies to it have been moved to Feature Request - Modify button press behaviour where the EXIT/BACK behaviour was discussed back in December 2015.

The new (or not so new) discussion that the post kicked off starts here.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Plugins”