Introduction to plugins?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

thanel

Introduction to plugins?

Post by thanel » Mon Aug 08, 2016 22:09

Hi,
I have a T2 - is there an intro guide about plugins, what they do, how to install etc etc ? It's not very clear what each plugin does and how safe it is to install them. I have also seen a Flickr plugin mentioned in this forum however I can't see this when you 'download plugins'. Any idea if this still exists ?

Thanks Tom.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Introduction to plugins?

Post by MrQuade » Mon Aug 08, 2016 22:55

In short, there isn't a lot of information as to what many of the plugins do. Your best bet is to search the forums for mention of a plugin that looks like it does what you want it to. If it doesn't show up in a search, just ask the forums if anyone has tried it.

Failing that, you can try a general search on the internet for something like "enigma2 plugin <plugin name>".

Next best is to try some out. However, as you have guessed, the behaviour of some could be unpredictable. Be prepared to reload firmware from USB in case things go very badly. Back up your settings prior to installing anything new.

Some general advice, is to think of a feature you want and then look for a plugin for that feature. If you instead go looking at a list of plugins and wonder what it is they all do, you may end up frustrated.

To install plugins, all you need to do is open the MENU, select "Setup" then "Plugins", then select "Download plugins". You will then see a list of all the plugins that are available in the standard Beyonwiz repository. Selecting a plugin will install it.

You can install some plugins that did not come from the Beyonwiz repository by downloading the package file of the internet and copying it onto the Wiz HDS. you can then and select it in the File Manager. This is quite a bit riskier than installing the normal way and does have some potential to do some mischief if the plugin is malicious (same as installing any random software off the internet). Also these packages were not designed to run on the Beyonwiz units, and may have been specifically compiled to run on incompatible units. Again, be prepared to reload firmware from USB.

I haven't seen a Flicker plugin personally.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Aug 08, 2016 23:58

There is a Flickr API plugin, but I can't see any GUI plugin that uses it to do anything useful.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

thanel

Post by thanel » Thu Aug 11, 2016 20:42

thanks

Return to “Plugins”