Problems setting up internet connection with new T4

Moderators: Gully, peteru

lisa31jane

Problems setting up internet connection with new T4

Post by lisa31jane » Mon Oct 12, 2015 17:17

Hi - I have a new T4 straight out of the box and trying to set it up and have hit an early stumbling block with setting up internet access.
I am able to "scan available networks' - and then I can select mine. Once I hit OK, instead of getting me to enter our password, the next screen shows this "Enable 8192cu wireless network interface" - I hit OK (as there's no other option) and it just sends me back to the previous configure screen.
Any tips?

prl
Wizard God

Re: Problems setting up internet connection with new T4

Post by prl » Mon Oct 12, 2015 17:51

lisa31jane wrote:Hi - I have a new T4 straight out of the box and trying to set it up and have hit an early stumbling block with setting up internet access.
I am able to "scan available networks' - and then I can select mine. Once I hit OK, instead of getting me to enter our password, the next screen shows this "Enable 8192cu wireless network interface" - I hit OK (as there's no other option) and it just sends me back to the previous configure screen.
Any tips?
Does your wireless router hide its SSID (the name of your wireless network)? If it hides the SSID, it won't be found on a scan, and you have to choose Manual configuration in the Wireless network connection setup screen in the initial configuration. Or you could stop the router hiding the SSID.

It's also possible that your T4 isn't getting enough WiFi signal to find the router.

In any case, you can tell the Wireless network connection setup screen to skip network setup and come back to it later, through MENU>Setup>Network>Network adapter selection.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

lisa31jane

Post by lisa31jane » Mon Oct 12, 2015 18:24

No - I can find the name of our wireless network (and everyone else's in the neighbourhood) - but then when I click on it, instead of it giving me the option to enter a password, it says"Enable 8192cu wireless network interface" as the only option - I hit OK and then it takes me back to the configure screen.
Manual configuration doesn't help as it goes straight to the Enable 8192 thing.

emmsee
Apprentice

Post by emmsee » Sat Dec 05, 2015 23:44

lisa31jane wrote:No - I can find the name of our wireless network (and everyone else's in the neighbourhood) - but then when I click on it, instead of it giving me the option to enter a password, it says"Enable 8192cu wireless network interface" as the only option - I hit OK and then it takes me back to the configure screen.
Manual configuration doesn't help as it goes straight to the Enable 8192 thing.
G'day Lisa31Jane,
Did you get the wireless network connection resolved?
If so, How?
cheers
emmsee

Beyonwiz T2
Samsung HDTV
Roku HD
2018 Chromecast
NBN Fixed Wireless (from 20/4/2019)

lisa31jane

Post by lisa31jane » Sun Dec 06, 2015 17:53

yes - by getting a new replacement T4!! Turns out we received a dud one the first time, as 2 of the 4 tuners also weren't working - Our new one is great!

spete

Post by spete » Tue Jan 19, 2016 16:34

Hi, I just bought a T4. I am having trouble connecting to the internet. For my internet connection on my computer I am using a 4G Telstra dongle as I am apparently 'too far' from the exchange to get ADSL. The dongle has no cable port. I have tried using a cable from the T4 to the network port on my motherboard.
I also have a wireless USB antenna on the T4 and a wireless add on card on my computer.
I have read some very knowledgeable people on this forum. Can someone please help?
Many thanks,
Peter

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jan 19, 2016 16:48

A complete answer to this question might take a bit of explanation, but I can provide you a way forward to solve the problem yourself.

If you are limited to a USB dongle plugged into your PC, then you have a couple of options.

1) Get a Wireless 4G modem from Telstra. These devices will share the internet to multiple devices over WiFi. Since your PC has a wireless card, it should be able to still maintain the same internet connection. Once the T4 is fitted with w WiFi USB stick, then it can also share the connection.

2) Use your existing 4G dongle, and switch on "Internet Connection Sharing" on your PC. That way, the T4 can connect to the PC and use it as a gateway to the internet.
This solution should work over either LAN or WiFi connection. LAN is preferable, as a direct WiFi conneciton between the T4 and PC might be tricky. It would require that your PC act as a Wireless access point (can be tricky to do), or the connection can be set up as ad-hoc...which I am not sure the T4 will support.
The LAN connection would be a lot more straightforward.

I strongly recommend option 1, as it is less hacky.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 19, 2016 17:36

MrQuade wrote:... as a direct WiFi conneciton between the T4 and PC might be tricky. ...
Can the T series do Ad-Hoc/Peer-toPeer mode WLAN at all?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jan 19, 2016 17:54

MrQuade wrote: It would require that your PC act as a Wireless access point (can be tricky to do), or the connection can be set up as ad-hoc...which I am not sure the T4 will support.
As stated, no idea :). I doubt it can be done from the GUI at the very least.

spete

Post by spete » Tue Jan 19, 2016 19:43

Thanks, McQuade. I'll try suggestion one, as you recommend.
One question: Where do I find 'Internet connection sharing?' I've looked in the places I expected to find it.
I know my computer knowledge is at the level of a single cell organism....
Many thanks,
Peter

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jan 19, 2016 20:16

spete wrote: One question: Where do I find 'Internet connection sharing?' I've looked in the places I expected to find it.
It depends what version of Windows you have. There are a few places, and I admit I was initially stumped myself, as I haven't used it under Windows 10 before.

Instructions are here.

Basically, you need to find the network adaptor that is connecting you to the internet. That will be your USB stick as it appears under your Network Adaptors in the Network section of the Control Panel.

Select Properties of the adaptor and open the "Sharing" tab.

From there you can choose to share the USB dongle Internet connection with your PC's LAN adaptor and consequently the T4 (connected to your PC via LAN).

I am not 100% sure if your PC will automatically assign an IP address to the T4 (using DHCP), or if you have to manually configure IP addresses and gateway addresses etc...... The article seems to suggest that it does (and thats how it used to work), so just try setting it up and assume that it automatically assigns an address for now, and see how you go.

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Wed Jan 20, 2016 07:16

MrQuade wrote:....
I am not 100% sure if your PC will automatically assign an IP address to the T4 (using DHCP), or if you have to manually configure IP addresses and gateway addresses etc......
Yes Internet Connection Sharing manages all this automagically.

A neat trick :- Add the Ethernet and Wifi adhoc interfaces to a Bridge. Select the Bridge as the target for Internet Connection Sharing. Shares the internet connect to both at once. :twisted:

Return to “Networking”