Network Mount Points on the T2

Moderators: Gully, peteru

mister_bimbo
Master

Network Mount Points on the T2

Post by mister_bimbo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 09:28

Hi Folks,

Our new T2 has been installed, but I'm stumped if I can get the network mount points to work ... the manual isn't much help and the online help doesn't seem to exist for this ... so I'm wondering what it is that I'm doing wrong.

I'm following exactly the same procedure as I do with my T4 (where this works without fail), but it just creates rubbish on the T2.

The steps:
1. Menu -> Setup -> Network -> Network Browser (I may not have the exact steps as I'm doing this from memory)
2. A list of all the network mount points, including those of my NAS (which is what I want to mount on the T2) come up.
3. I select the NFS mount point, and accept the defaults, and press Save (Green button I think).
4. I exit out of the Menu, then press "Media" and "Yellow" button (for locations), and it brings up a list of junk mount points ... most of which don't work.

I've tried restarting the box, restarting the network ... nothing at all seems to work. My feeling is that the list that I'm bringing up with Media/Yellow Button isn't being correctly populated ... and that this is likely in a file on the T2 somewhere. Maybe the solution is for me to directly edit this file ... perhaps someone can point me in the direction of the file..?

Ideally, I'd like to edit the file anyway so that I can put the names that I want in this list ... and not the tech names that the T2 (or the T4 as well) creates.

Any help on how the network mount points operate would be sincerely appreciated!

Cheers,
David

Bluebird
Apprentice

Re: Network Mount Points on the T2

Post by Bluebird » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:47

Hi,
What do you get under "Sources" when you press menu from live TV?
T2
U4
Samsung 37" LCD
Samsung 55" LED LCD Smart TV.
Mercusys AC12G
Hauwei HG659
Billion Bipac 8700VAXL
Billion BiPAC 7800DXL

Gully

Post by Gully » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:57

Rather than just accept the default names you can edit them when first creating the mounts so there should be no need to find ways of editing names later.
Cheers
Gully

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Sep 29, 2015 14:02

Please post screenshot of the "junk mount points".

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 09:27

Hi Gully,
Gully wrote:Rather than just accept the default names you can edit them when first creating the mounts so there should be no need to find ways of editing names later.
Well, that's what I thought ... but you'll see on the screen images that I've provided to PeterU, that there is something wrong with my T2 and it won't correctly create them.

Cheers,
David

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 09:37

Hi Peter,
peteru wrote:Please post screenshot of the "junk mount points".
Here is a list of the mount points that I get when I press Media -> Yellow Button (Locations):

Notes:
1. Item 4 ("TV") is junk - when I tried to edit the name of mount point when creating the mount (the Mount Point is called "TV Shows"), this is what I got. I've since deleted the mount point using the mount point manager, but the old junk name persists ... and I also tried recreating it, but the newly created name doesn't appear.
2. Item 6 ("DAG") is the name of the NAS on which the "TV Shows" Mount Point exists - and selecting this share points directly to the "TV Shows". As I've deleted the mount point (in the mount point manager) I would expect this to disappear as well, but it persists.
3. Item 7 ("TVShowsDAG") was another random creation of the mount manager. And I've deleted the mount point but again this persists.
4. I'd love to rename item 5 as this points to the T4 into something a little meaningful... hence the question about the configuration file.

As I said earlier, none of this occurs on the T4: its all nice and easy ... and below is the error message that the T2 throws when I select item 7. I get a similar error message for item 4 (note for some bizarre reason it seems to be referencing the T4!):

Cheers,
David

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:25

Are some of those maybe auto-discovered DLNA mounts?
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:47

I had a similar problem on my T3 when I got a new NAS. I deleted the mount point for the old NAS and took that out of service. I then tried to add the new NAS which has the same IP address as the old NAS but a different name. It kept trying to add the new NAS with the same name as the old NAS so that text seems to be stored persistently as it survived a reboot. I ended up changing the IP address of the new NAS (which had a knock on effect elsewhere). That doesn't help you but one thing I did notice is that the T3 also adds some of the locations as bookmarks which I also had to delete by going into the movie list and selection Location Other... and navigating to the bookmarks section.
Beyonwiz T4

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Sep 30, 2015 13:07

I suspect that the root cause may be that you created a network mount with a space character in the name.

I'm not sure if editing the config files using the UI will be able to clean this up. If not, the simplest thing may be to apply the latest USB update (either official release or beta) and not restore settings. When you set up you network shares from scratch, ensure that none of your mounts have spaces in their names. This may also involve settings on your NAS, to ensure that the exported volumes do not have spaces in their name.

Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Sep 30, 2015 13:34

peteru wrote:I suspect that the root cause may be that you created a network mount with a space character in the name. ...
It looks like the Mounts editor removes all non-alphanumerics from the local share name before it's used.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Sep 30, 2015 17:35

I've found one way of messing up the autofs config.

I tried to connect to a CIFS share manually, but I got the IP address wrong. The popups told me that I'd connected to the share, but obviously, I hadn't :roll: The local mountpoint was there, but I couldn't enter it.

I went back and edited the IP address to what it should have been, and it said that it had been reconfigured correctly. But it hadn't, because I still couldn't get inside the mount point.

So I rebooted. Still the same.

Then I had a look at /etc/enigma2/automounts.xml, which was correct, and /etc/auto.network, which was like this:

Code: Select all

# automounter configuration
HellespontCIFS -fstype=cifs,user=someuser,pass=somepassword,rw,iocharset=utf8,cache=loose ://192.168.0.1/Hellespont
HellespontCIFS -fstype=cifs,user=someuser,pass=somepassword,rw,iocharset=utf8,cache=loose ://192.168.178.1/Hellespont
The first line has the old IP address. The second one has the correct, edited address. :shock:

After I corrected that and rebooted, it all worked.

A later edit to change the username/password worked correctly.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Wed Sep 30, 2015 17:54

prl wrote:I've found one way of messing up the autofs config.

I tried to connect to a CIFS share manually, but I got the IP address wrong. The popups told me that I'd connected to the share, but obviously, I hadn't :roll: The local mountpoint was there, but I couldn't enter it.

I went back and edited the IP address to what it should have been, and it said that it had been reconfigured correctly. But it hadn't, because I still couldn't get inside the mount point.

Then I had a look at /etc/settings/automount, which was correct, and /etc/auto.network, which was like this:

HellespontCIFS -fstype=cifs,user=someuser,pass=somepassword,rw,iocharset=utf8,cache=loose ://192.168.0.1/Hellespont
HellespontCIFS -fstype=cifs,user=someuser,pass=somepassword,rw,iocharset=utf8,cache=loose ://192.168.178.1/Hellespont
The first line has the old IP address. The second one has the correct, edited address. :shock:

After I corrected that and rebooted, it all worked.

A later edit to change the username/password worked correctly.
That sounds like it could have caused my issue. I'll have a look at that file.
Beyonwiz T4

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 08:26

Hi Mr.Q
MrQuade wrote:Are some of those maybe auto-discovered DLNA mounts?
No, I don't have DLNA turned on for my NAS - I don't like how it works (at least in the version that I've been able to get running), so I've turned it off.

Cheers,
David

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 08:33

Hi Peter,
peteru wrote:I suspect that the root cause may be that you created a network mount with a space character in the name.

I'm not sure if editing the config files using the UI will be able to clean this up. .
I'll take your advice, but my recollection is that I had problems with the network (Yellow Button) points before I tried creating one with a space in it. Just to note, I've got two problems - the junk in the list is the visible one that you've commented on, but the other problem that I have is no matter what I create using the mount manager, it does not appear on the list of available locations (i.e. the invisible problem).

Regardless, I'll have a play around with files the PRL has mentioned below to see if I can fix the issue - may as well try it (once I get my iMac back).
peteru wrote:When you set up you network shares from scratch, ensure that none of your mounts have spaces in their names. This may also involve settings on your NAS, to ensure that the exported volumes do not have spaces in their name.
And if that doesn't work, I'll follow your advice and reload the last firmware update (its still on my USB drive!) ... but note, one of my network mount points does have a space in the name, and this works without any issue on the T4 ... so while I accept what you're telling me, where I'm skeptical is that I'd understood that the code for the network on the T2 & T4 is just about identical..?

Cheers,
David

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Fri Oct 02, 2015 07:57

Hi Peter,
prl wrote:I've found one way of messing up the autofs config.

Then I had a look at /etc/settings/automount, which was correct, and /etc/auto.network ....
I've taken a look at both of the above, but interestingly, I do not have an /etc/settings/automount file ... and for that matter, I do not have the entire /etc/settings directory. I cross checked on the T4, and it lacks the same files/directories ... so I don't believe that this impacts my issue.

My /etc/auto.network file looks like the below:
DAG -fstype=nfs,rw,nolock,tcp,nfsvers=3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,soft 192.168.1.8:/TV Shows
DAG -fstype=nfs,rw,nolock,tcp,nfsvers=3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,soft 192.168.1.8:/Documentaries
DAG -fstype=nfs,rw,nolock,tcp,nfsvers=3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,soft 192.168.1.8:/Movies
TVShowsDAG -fstype=cifs,user=,pass=,rw,iocharset=utf8,cache=loose ://192.168.1.8/TV Shows
DAG -fstype=nfs,rw,nolock,tcp,nfsvers=3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,soft 192.168.1.8:/TV Shows
TV Shows -fstype=nfs,rw,nolock,tcp,nfsvers=3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,soft 192.168.1.8:/TV Shows
HarddiskLIVINGROOM -fstype=cifs,user=guest,pass=,rw,iocharset=utf8,cache=loose ://192.168.1.20/Harddisk

I'm going to remove all but the top 4 lines (so it leaves behind three mount points) and see how that goes. For peteru's theory to be correct, the third last line (starting TV Shows -fstype ...) is where the problem has been introduced ... and it would make sense if the file is interpreted backwards as the last line, and the second last line both work (in the case of the last line, not how I want it to).

I checked the same file on my T4, and here's the contents:
DAG -fstype=nfs,rw,nolock,tcp,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft 192.168.1.8:/TV Shows
TV Shows -fstype=nfs,rw,nolock,tcp,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft 192.168.1.8:/TV Shows
TV Shows -fstype=nfs,rw,nolock,tcp,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft 192.168.1.8:/TV Shows
TVShows -fstype=nfs,rw,nolock,tcp,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft 192.168.1.8:/TV Shows
TVShows -fstype=nfs,rw,nolock,tcp,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft 192.168.1.8:/TV Shows

Remembering that my T4 is working correctly for all my network shares - I'm at a loss to work out how! I have only the one share, repeated 6 times (or 2 x 3 times) ... but none of the other shares that I access (like one named Movies, or another named Documentaries) appears in this list ... but they do appear (and work correctly) when I follow the Media -> Location (Yellow Button) path on the remote...?

Any clues..? :?

Cheers,
David

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Oct 02, 2015 08:31

mister_bimbo wrote:...
prl wrote:... /etc/settings/automount ...
I've taken a look at both of the above, but interestingly, I do not have an /etc/settings/automount file ... and for that matter, I do not have the entire /etc/settings directory. ...
Apologies.

That should be /etc/enigma2/automounts.xml

I've also fixed my original post.
mister_bimbo wrote:Any clues..?
All I can really say is that the network share interface is quite fragile.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 20:16

OK, so I've tried a whole bunch of stuff, and it looks like the network interface on the T2 (or at least my T2) is not fit for purpose.

Here's what I tried: I followed peteru's suggestion and just simply reapplied the latest T2 firmware and setup the box from scratch. And the results are what I got after going into the Media -> Location/Yellow Button

Test 1
Box initialised / setup IceTV / setup NFS share to share point "TV Shows", "Documentaries" and "Movies" (all on NAS called DAG).
Result 1
Only one of the three mount points was available, and it was shown as "DAG" (not TV Shows / Documentaries / Movies). It turned out that it was the TV Shows share.

Test 2
Box initialised / setup IceTV / setup CIFS share to share point "TV Shows", "Documentaries" and "Movies".
Result 2
All of the above shares displayed as TVShowsDAG / DocumentariesDAG / MoviesDAG, but none of them worked - displaying an error with an invalid path.

Test 3
Box initialised / setup for IceTV skipped / setup NFS mount to mount point "Documentaries" (thinking that perhaps the space in "TV Shows" was causing problems).
Result 3
The displayed location is again "DAG", but this time the contents of the location are for the "Documentaries" share.

Interpretation & Commentary
1. There is a problem with multiple mount points on the same NAS, and this will account for why it is that when I create 3 mount points, only the first one is visible and the other two are "lost"
2. Further to point 1, only a single mount point is visible in the Mount Point Manager, but if I try and create the "missing" mount points, the T2 warns me that these points already exist and do I really want to update them.
3. The CIFS implementation on the T2 appears to be flawed - it simply doesn't work in my setting
4. None of these problems occur with the T4: clearly there must be a hardware difference that is creating the issues I am seeing.
5. I noticed that when I deleted a mount point (via the Mount Point Manager), the name of the mount point would still show up in the Media -> Location list ... and it would work (or error out) in exactly the same fashion as it did when the mount point was present (in the Mount Point Manager).

I'm happy to try anything else to fix the issue, but as I've bought this T2 to explicitly watch programming from the NAS, I'll have to contact BW and return it. This is most disappointing as I really had hoped to replace our ever-faithful P1 with newer technology!

Suggest away!

Cheers,
David

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Oct 06, 2015 20:25

It may be helpful to know a bit more about your NAS. What is it? What software is it running? How is it configured? In particular a lot of issues can often be tracked back to the various security settings.

I'll check the builds to see what (if any) differences there are between the T2 and T4.

BTW: If you have the option of using NFS with your NAS, choose it over SMB/CIFS.

Blog.

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Tue Oct 06, 2015 20:28

I've noticed a couple of these issues in my T3. In particular point 5 - deleting a mount and it still appearing in places and also issues with multiple shares on the same drive - in my case I changed the mount to a different share on the same drive and it kept showing the content of the original share.
Beyonwiz T4

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Oct 06, 2015 21:52

peteru wrote:I'll check the builds to see what (if any) differences there are between the T2 and T4.
Nope. No substantial differences. Same versions of software, same kernel versions, same patches. If both the T2 and T4 are on the current beta feed and fully updated, they should behave the same.

If you are seeing differences between the T2 and T4, it's most like due to some difference in the configuration.

If you can compare the contents of /etc/enigma2 and possibly other config files in /etc between the two machines, you may spot something. It could be as simple as a difference in the order of lines in a config file.

This is probably going to boil down to a simple bug or two related to configuration handling. It's probably a very specific set of circumstances that triggers this, because the problem does not appear to be widespread.

I'm sure that if we can construct a reproducible test case with your help, someone will be able to figure it out and fix it for you.

Blog.

jazza
Master

Post by jazza » Wed Oct 07, 2015 06:36

Interpretation & Commentary
1. There is a problem with multiple mount points on the same NAS, and this will account for why it is that when I create 3 mount points, only the first one is visible and the other two are "lost"
2. Further to point 1, only a single mount point is visible in the Mount Point Manager, but if I try and create the "missing" mount points, the T2 warns me that these points already exist and do I really want to update them.

Appears to me that your error messages are a symptom of these points 1 & 2. Because multiple mounts don't work you get errors trying to open them. This is normal behaviour for non-existent mount points.

Can you USB firmware to reset and connect to one NAS share only with no problems?

If so can you connect to a share in a temporary device to check if it's multiple mounts on a single device or multiple mount points on multiple devices that's the problem? (Setup temp share on a laptop).

If so can you copy the mount points file from T3/4 to the T2 and see if it works with multiple mount points? This may bypass input of point 2.

(I use \\nas\media as a root media share LAN wide to explicitly avoid multiple mounts anywhere and force mostly read only permissions for client viewers and I don't have a T2 to test. Many Nas's want seperate shares though by default).

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 07:49

Hi Peter,
peteru wrote:It may be helpful to know a bit more about your NAS. What is it? What software is it running? How is it configured? In particular a lot of issues can often be tracked back to the various security settings.
I'm running a QNAP NAS (specifically a TS-410), which has the latest firmware installed. I believe that the operating system on the NAS is Linux.

There are no issues accessing the NAS from any of the PC's/iMac's on the network, and both the DP-P1 and T4 are accessing it without any issue.

There are minimal security settings - no password is required to access the files (i.e. TV Shows/Movies/Documentaries) that are stored on the NAS.

As I've observed before, why is it that the T2 is the only device that has trouble..? Something doesn't quite ring true that the problem is with the NAS...
peteru wrote:BTW: If you have the option of using NFS with your NAS, choose it over SMB/CIFS.
I tried CIFS as a second option - just to eliminate it as being the preferred platform. It didn't (and doesn't) work ... and annoyingly, left garbage in my Location list after I deleted the mount point.

Cheers,
David

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Wed Oct 07, 2015 07:58

I don't beki Ve it is your NAS but a bug in the way the BW Ts configure mount points, especially when you try to change them. I've seen similar to you and prl also noted that some of the files retain references to old mount points.
I would imagine that the reason it works on the T4 is that you did it slightly differently and didn't expose the bug. One option to test is to copy the network configure files from the T4 to the T2 and see if it works ok.
Beyonwiz T4

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 08:01

Hi Peter,
peteru wrote:
peteru wrote:I'll check the builds to see what (if any) differences there are between the T2 and T4.
Nope. No substantial differences. Same versions of software, same kernel versions, same patches. If both the T2 and T4 are on the current beta feed and fully updated, they should behave the same.
I can immediately think of one significant difference - there clearly is a different network interface as the T2 has a 100Mb ethernet card, while the T4 has a 1000Mb card ... so that's got to require different drivers for the ethernet adapter and potentially different network libraries.

Just a point of clarification, neither the T2 nor the T4 are using the beta software: both are using the end-of-August update. In the case of the T2, I used the bootloader that you provided a link to in the firmware discussion thread (as the USB supplied is faulty).
peteru wrote:If you are seeing differences between the T2 and T4, it's most like due to some difference in the configuration.
While I'm somewhat with you on this one, I've done bare bones configuration on the T2 and it is having problems. I have completely dumbed down what I would do in order to try and eliminate possibilities but it still gives trouble.
peteru wrote:If you can compare the contents of /etc/enigma2 and possibly other config files in /etc between the two machines, you may spot something. It could be as simple as a difference in the order of lines in a config file.
I'll take a look tonight when I get home - are there any specific files that I should be looking at or is the suggestion to examine every file that has a different time/date stamp? (My working assumption is that the standard files are supplied with the firmware ... and that updating the configuration will time/date stamp files that are impacting)
peteru wrote:This is probably going to boil down to a simple bug or two related to configuration handling. It's probably a very specific set of circumstances that triggers this, because the problem does not appear to be widespread..
Perhaps - I'm wondering how likely it is that there is a hardware fault in my unit..? I don't want there to be, but as the unit will give the error with only very minimal configuration, if the problem isn't widespread then this is the only way that I can reconcile how the two positions :)
peteru wrote:I'm sure that if we can construct a reproducible test case with your help, someone will be able to figure it out and fix it for you.
And I'd be pleased to run them - I can't think of any further testing as the problem seems to occur no matter what sequence and/or options I use. And the issue of the Location file being left "dirty" seems to be more than just me :)

I'll log an issue with BW directly as I'm getting a fair amount of stick from management about this :(

Cheers,
David

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 14:53

Hi Simon,
simoncasey wrote:I would imagine that the reason it works on the T4 is that you did it slightly differently and didn't expose the bug. One option to test is to copy the network configure files from the T4 to the T2 and see if it works ok.
I guess this is possible - I'm going to try again and enter a UserID/password to see if that makes any difference ... it shouldn't as it isn't needed, but let's see.

In relation to the configuration files, I'd be happy to do that ... but I don't know what they are. If someone is able to advise the complete list of files that I need to copy, I'd be happy to give that a go :)

Cheers,
David

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Oct 07, 2015 15:43

I find kdiff3 a great tool for comparing whole directories of stuff, so I would probably run kdiff3 against /etc on the T2 and T4 to see what's different.

Of particular interest will be:

/etc/
  auto.master
  auto.network
  autofs.conf
  fstab
  default/
    autofs
  enigma2/
    automounts.xml
    settings
  samba/
    smb.conf
It is extremely unlikely that the difference in 100Mbit versus GigE interface speed would cause this. It's most likely an issue with the code that parses /etc/auto.network and /etc/enigma2/automounts.xml

Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Oct 07, 2015 15:50

peteru wrote:... It's most likely an issue with the code that parses /etc/auto.network and /etc/enigma2/automounts.xml
Or with the code that occasionally mangles /etc/auto.network.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Oct 07, 2015 15:59

Please do try the latest beta release you can find on the troublesome T2. While it may not fix the problem, it at least means that those of us who are trying to get this fixed for you are testing against the same base software as you. It also means that it will be easier for you to apply any bug fixes via online updates, as they are being made.

Blog.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Oct 08, 2015 01:39

I just had a quick peek at the code that writes out /etc/auto.network

I think it needs a rewrite. Or at least some debugging.

Blog.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Oct 08, 2015 02:10

peteru wrote:I suspect that the root cause may be that you created a network mount with a space character in the name.
I've done some testing here and I'm pretty sure that this is indeed a source of problems.

You will need to fix this on your NAS. Rename the exported directory so that it does not have a space.

Once you have done that, delete /etc/auto.network on your T2, then use the T2 user interface to remove the old mount points. Create them again and I think you will find that it works.

I'll take a look at the code to see if I can make it more robust.

Blog.

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:51

Thank you Peter,
peteru wrote:
I've done some testing here and I'm pretty sure that this is indeed a source of problems.

You will need to fix this on your NAS. Rename the exported directory so that it does not have a space.
I believe in your judgement, and while I'm prepared to do this (it'll create a bit of work for me to fix the now-renamed mount on all other devices), I don't believe that this is the sole source of the problem.

To explain a little further from the testing that I did the other night - if you look at my "Test 3" scenario, I did not even attempt to map to the network share that had a space. I just selected another mount point and it gave me trouble. In this case, I selected "Documentaries" and the behaviour was still incorrect: it created the share, but called it "DAG": when I tried creating a second share "Movies" it did so, but then this wasn't visible in the Mount Manager ... or the Location list. What it should have done (according to what the T4 did/does) is to create a mount call "Documentaries" that appears in the Mount Manager and in the Location list ... and then the second mount called "Movies" should have appeared in the Mount Manager and the Location list.
peteru wrote:Once you have done that, delete /etc/auto.network on your T2, then use the T2 user interface to remove the old mount points. Create them again and I think you will find that it works.
I'll see what this does, but I have low expectations :) as per the above.
peteru wrote:I'll take a look at the code to see if I can make it more robust.
I always appreciate the effort that folks go to in making the product more robust, reliable and usable - thank you again.

Kind regards,
David

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Thu Oct 08, 2015 13:12

Hi Jazza,

Sorry, I missed your helpful response until now :)
jazza wrote:Appears to me that your error messages are a symptom of these points 1 & 2. Because multiple mounts don't work you get errors trying to open them. This is normal behaviour for non-existent mount points.
I think you may have misunderstood - the error messages I get are when I try and create the mount points using the CIFS option ... but the "missing" mount points that I create when using "NFS" seem not to actually be missing, rather just not visible ... only one mount point (the first one that I create) is visible. And that visible mount point is created with the name of the my NAS (DAG) rather than the name of the mount point (e.g. Documentaries or Movies).
jazza wrote:Can you USB firmware to reset and connect to one NAS share only with no problems?
Yes ... I have done this, but it won't work as I want it to ... even with only a single NAS share. As per the above, it creates it with an incorrect name ... and all subsequent mounts created don't appear in either the Mount Manager or the Location list.
jazza wrote:If so can you connect to a share in a temporary device to check if it's multiple mounts on a single device or multiple mount points on multiple devices that's the problem? (Setup temp share on a laptop).
I've connected a BW P1, several PC's and iMac's and a T4 all to the mount point without trouble. I'm very confident that this problem/defect is particular to the T2 (although I accept the advice that I have perhaps avoided whatever bug is present in how I have setup the T4)
jazza wrote:If so can you copy the mount points file from T3/4 to the T2 and see if it works with multiple mount points? This may bypass input of point 2.
I'm fine to do this - I just need the complete list of files required :)

Cheers,
David

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 13:28

Hi,
By that you mean it will give a message, and not create the share on the BW?

I've had some problems with an NFS share from my new Netgear NAS on my T2.

Part of the problem was me, setting up the NAS. I could share via CIFS, no problems, but not NFS.

I used the Network Browser to create the mount on the T2, but it didn't show any folders or files.

I finally got it working. There were a lot of "bad" mounts in sources. I followed the advice, and removed them from auto.network, each time.

Before I bought a NAS, when I mounted the NFS share from my PC running FreeNFS, it worked straight away.

I then "attacked" my wife's T2, and it worked right away. I thought it was no good at first. It took a few minutes for anything to appear in the share on the T2.

Thanks,

dRdoS7

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Thu Oct 08, 2015 13:28

Hi Peter,
peteru wrote:Please do try the latest beta release you can find on the troublesome T2. While it may not fix the problem, it at least means that those of us who are trying to get this fixed for you are testing against the same base software as you. It also means that it will be easier for you to apply any bug fixes via online updates, as they are being made.
Not withstanding your excellent suggestions and offers since this idea ... did you still prefer that I go ahead and apply the current T2 Beta release..?

Cheers,
David

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Oct 08, 2015 16:31

dRdoS7 wrote:Hi,
By that you mean it will give a message, and not create the share on the BW?
My impression from the limited amount of playing-around with CIFS mounts (I don't have ny NFS servers) on the T series is that there are a multitude of opportunities to make the code more robust :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Oct 08, 2015 16:39

I pushed out a beta update this afternoon that should improve the handling of the automounter map. It's still a bad idea to export volumes that contain a space from your NAS, but the new firmware should deal with it a bit better.

You're still advised to perform the cleanup I suggested above.

Best method is to backup your settings, flash latest USB beta image, restore settings, switch to beta feed, do online update, then perform the cleanup.

You might still see old entries in the "Locations" menu - I have not yet figured out how to remove the suggested locations from this list. They will probably go away once you have used the new, correct, locations a few times.

Blog.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Oct 08, 2015 17:02

mister_bimbo wrote:
peteru wrote:Rename the exported directory so that it does not have a space.
I'm prepared to do this (it'll create a bit of work for me to fix the now-renamed mount on all other devices), I don't believe that this is the sole source of the problem.
No, it's not the only place where things are going wrong, however the space character in the volume name is the trigger point for a lot the subsequent trouble.
I did not even attempt to map to the network share that had a space. I just selected another mount point and it gave me trouble.
The problem is that a single "bad" entry in the configuration can break all the other entries. So, once you have a troublesome system, trying to use the (old code) UI will not help.
I have low expectations :) as per the above.
The updated code in the beta release I pushed out this afternoon, together with the clean up of your /etc/auto.network and automounts should help a bit, perhaps even completely resolve the issue.

Please note that fstab mounts will not handle either mount points or share names with spaces. This may not be fixable at all, but perhaps the GUI could be more helpful and advise the user that "It can't be done."

Blog.

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Fri Oct 09, 2015 15:15

Hi Peter,
peteru wrote:The problem is that a single "bad" entry in the configuration can break all the other entries. So, once you have a troublesome system, trying to use the (old code) UI will not help.
Understood, but I had reapplied the firmware between each test: would this not have erased/overwritten anything that was in error? I'll take the action suggested, I'm more curious as to how it'll help as there are only a couple of steps being followed before the error appears :)
peteru wrote:The updated code in the beta release I pushed out this afternoon, together with the clean up of your /etc/auto.network and automounts should help a bit, perhaps even completely resolve the issue.
Thanks again - I took a look at where I can download this, but it doesn't seem to be available? I know that there are particular steps involved to get the BETA code, but I thought that I'd read that code updates to the T2 had to be performed via USB as the device doesn't have sufficient available memory to do it via the online process?
peteru wrote:Please note that fstab mounts will not handle either mount points or share names with spaces. This may not be fixable at all, but perhaps the GUI could be more helpful and advise the user that "It can't be done."
Agreed - that would be helpful!

As always, I do appreciate the help.

Kind regards,
David

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Oct 09, 2015 16:11

mister_bimbo wrote:I know that there are particular steps involved to get the BETA code, but I thought that I'd read that code updates to the T2 had to be performed via USB as the device doesn't have sufficient available memory to do it via the online process?
It was only the major update that was too big.

If you install the latest beta image, then run the beta feed patch, all the subsequent online updates will download and install correctly.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Oct 09, 2015 17:08

Blog.

Mantorok
Master

Post by Mantorok » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:17

I thought I'd add that I too got into strife with Network Mounts on my new T4. This thread helped me sort it out.

From what I can gather when you delete a Network Mount in the UI it doesn't always remove the entry from the /etc/auto.network file. In my case I didn't have any spaces in the share name.

To fix it I just followed peteru's advice above (ie. delete /etc/auto.network, then delete the mount(s) in the UI, then add again) and its all good now. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next firmware.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that even after doing a factory reset the auto.network file remained unchanged. This could be a concern given that the file may contain unencrypted passwords. Imagine doing a factory reset then selling your Wiz on eBay not knowing that your NAS password can be accessed by the buyer.
Beyonwiz T4 BB (with 2TB WD Red HDD)

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Sat Oct 31, 2015 09:17

Hi Peter,
peteru wrote:I pushed out a beta update this afternoon that should improve the handling of the automounter map. It's still a bad idea to export volumes that contain a space from your NAS, but the new firmware should deal with it a bit better.

You're still advised to perform the cleanup I suggested above.

Best method is to backup your settings, flash latest USB beta image, restore settings, switch to beta feed, do online update, then perform the cleanup.

You might still see old entries in the "Locations" menu - I have not yet figured out how to remove the suggested locations from this list. They will probably go away once you have used the new, correct, locations a few times.
Apologies Peter that its taken me a while to get back to you on this - I had a hard drive in my NAS fail and I didn't want to fiddle with anything until the NAS was back to 100%. Anyway, its 100% now, so I've spent about 3 hours this morning trying to fix the problem(s).

I'm now at the point where the T2 has to be returned - it is simply too unstable/unreliable, even in its most basic form. Its likely that I've been sent a faulty unit (inadvertently).

Just so that folks know what I've done:
1. Created a network share called TV_Shows on my NAS (on Thursday)
2. Powered the NAS off on Friday night
3. This morning I've been through all of the files on the T2 mentioned here and manually removed anything that looked like a reference to my NAS
peteru wrote:Of particular interest will be:

/etc/
  auto.master
  auto.network
  autofs.conf
  fstab
  default/
    autofs
  enigma2/
    automounts.xml
    settings
  samba/
    smb.conf
3. Deleted all the mount points on the T2 using the Mount Manager
4. Powered off the T2
5. Powered on the NAS
6. Powered the T2 on did a network scan
7. Found the new mount point (TV_Shows), and created a mount for it, then for my Movies and Documentaries shares. T2 reported it done successfully,
8. Exactly the same behaviour in relation to the "Location List" in the Media/Yellow button path - only one share, called "DAG" (the name of my NAS) with it pointing to TV_Shows. Documentaries and Movies had disappeared again.
9. Tried to upgrade to the BETA feed - after an hour of mucking around with the USB stick, I realised that it was the faulty one that BW had sent me.
10. Located the USB stick that I had used when I realised the Blue BW supplied USB stick didn't work, and then loaded the BETA software onto that.
11. Powered the T2 off/on with the USB in the front port - USB stick ignored.
12. I tried several variants - erasing the USB and recreating it (all failed - the T2 simply refuses to read the software on the USB drive)
13. Power off the T2, re-downloaded the BETA software (just in case the original download had something wrong with it), tried again - failed to read the BETA software from the USB drive
14. Factory reset, power off the T2, try again - failed to read the BETA software from the USB drive.

I am certain that the T2 is reading the USB drive - I can see it flash when first powered on, and then again after about 15 seconds. So it looks to be reading the contents, but then deciding to ignore them.

Another observation, is that I have found that I regularly get the "spinning star" when watching shows over the network ... particularly after about 30 minutes of viewing. My network is all via cable (no wireless) with a switch: the T4 has no problem like this ... and neither did the P1.

I've probably spent close to 30 hours mucking around with the T2 trying to get it to work, even in its most basic form, and it just hasn't cooperated ... so I'm going to log a return request with BW for this and see what the next steps are.

Thanks all for being so helpful, and I'm pleased to see that others have got some useful outcomes from the excellent support provided!

Cheers,
David

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:57

I guess you may have not been keeping up with the forums. WizHQ posted a message that there were some bad power supplies shipped with the T2s and that they are testing replacements. Once the replacement power supplies are verified to be good, they will be shipping them to all T2 customers.

By all means, do contact Beyonwiz, but I suspect that the power supply replacement will be the first thing they will try. Your USB issues certainly fit the profile of a marginal power supply.

Blog.

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Sun Nov 01, 2015 18:39

Hi Peter,
peteru wrote:I guess you may have not been keeping up with the forums. WizHQ posted a message that there were some bad power supplies shipped with the T2s and that they are testing replacements. Once the replacement power supplies are verified to be good, they will be shipping them to all T2 customers.

By all means, do contact Beyonwiz, but I suspect that the power supply replacement will be the first thing they will try. Your USB issues certainly fit the profile of a marginal power supply.
I haven't been on top of the forum posts ... I got the email about the power supplies, but I didn't make the connection between the problem I am seeing and the issues with the supplies. Anyway, I'll read up on the forums to see what the prevailing view is.

I've got other issues with the T2, which I've noted in my Warranty Support form with BW. They are usually quite good about getting back to me, so I'll see what their advice is as well.

Thanks again Peter - you've been very generous with your support!

Kind regards,
David

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:10

Update:

BW have sent me a replacement T2, with a new power supply. This morning I've removed the old T2 and plugged in the new one, but the situation is now worse.

What I did:
  1. 1. Swap the Samsung SSD from the old T2 to the new (replacement) T2.
    2. Downloaded the latest firmware and placed it on a USB drive, turned on the new T2
    3. I thought that the T2 had applied the firmware (turns out that it didn't) as the menu's & screens all looked quite different from what was on old T2.
    4. Tried to browse the network (Network/Network Browser) and add the mount points from the selection list that browsing brings up - this ended in failure exactly as it had done in the past with the old T2.
    5. Deleted the /etc/auto.network, then deleted the mount(s) in the UI - powered off the T2
    6. Powered on, and then tried manually adding the mount points instead of browsing the network - amazingly this mostly(*) worked. Manually = using the Network/Mount Manager ... Automatically = added via Network/Network Browser.
    7. Downloaded and configured the IceTV plug-in (and another reason that I thought it had loaded the new firmware was that the IceTV plugin wasn't present).
    8. I did two other things - (1) manually configured the TV resolution and (2) switched to the Full Metal skin.
    9. The mostly(*) in point 6 refers to the fact that the final mount point didn't work - the T2 threw an error saying that the path was invalid, but I triple checked it against all the other ones that were working and it was identical & correct. I though "oh well, it doesn't matter about that one ... so ...
    10. I left the T2 running and went out for breakfast - came home, and the TV screen was blank (turned out that it had CRASHED). T2 needed to be powered off and on again.
    11. When I powered the T2 on, the unit CRASHED (screen flashes, a multi-coloured line appears at the top for a fraction of a second, then the screen goes blank) as I was browsing the network configuration.
    12. Powered off, and on again ... pressed the menu button after it had completed it startup, and it crashed again. Note: power off = switching off at the back of the T2.
    13. Powered off, and on again ... pressed the menu button, went into the menu to browse the settings ... then went to exit the menu ... CRASH.
    Powered off, and on again ... unit completed its startup, but CRASHED before I could press any button.
    14. At this point, I thought that perhaps the unit had corrupted itself during one of the crashes, so I got the USB stick, powered off and then on again.
    15. This time, the unit advised that it was loading the firmware and it took a while to do so.
    16. Powered off at the end up of the update ... started up, and I immediately noticed a difference in the menus/interface.
    17. Manually added the network mount points, leaving off the mount point that didn't work last time (refer step X).
    18. Powered off via the menu using the "Shutdown" option, then off at the back (power switch).
    19. Powered on, and went to test the mount points ... all but the last mount point that I had added were working (and keep in mind, that this now non-working mount point had worked previously in Step 6).
    20. Went into the Network/Mount Manager and noticed that the non-working mount point had a red "X" next to it. This mount point was at the bottom of the list that was displayed - this appears to be significant.
    21. Deleted the non-working mount point, and then press Exit ... the T2 CRASHED.
    22. Powered off, and on again ... went into the Network/Mount Manager and noticed that the mount point I had deleted in Step 21 had gone, but that the last item on the list (again, at the bottom) had a red "X" next to it.
    23. I went into the item (pressing OK) and then "Green" to save and exit ... it gave me a warning about the point already existing, and then (re) mounted it.
    24. Exited the setup menu, pressed Media/Location ... browsed to the network point and CRASH.
    25. Powered off, and then on again ... pressed Menu ... CRASH
    26. Left the T2 running displaying a TV image (no menu) to see if being in the menu is a source of crashes.
I observe that I've not restored any settings, and that I've just reapplied firmware and taken the defaults ... and the unit is still unstable. For the sake of completeness, the Manual configuration that I perform via the Mount Manager is:
(a) set the Mount Point to Active
(b) Enter a Display Name for the mount point (no spaces).
(c) Enter the IP address of the NAS (in my case 192.168.1.8)
(d) Enter the Mount Point name on the NAS - I enter it as /<<mount_point>>. After the point is saved the leading "/" is removed by the interface.

Clearly there is something very wrong/unstable with this T2 ... so I am now at the point of requesting a refund and putting the P1 back into service :evil:

This is unfortunate, and I would much prefer to keep the T2 and be able to use it, but right now, its unusable with the frequency of it crashing.

Happy to take feedback if I am doing something/anything wrong ... but I can't see where I'm off the mark..?

Cheers,
David

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:10

Hi David,

As a test, why don't you try a fresh install of the firmware via USB and don't restore any settings. Don't configure the network mounts! Just run the unit as a simple PVR and see if it is stable.

Also you should check with Beyonwiz to see if you have one of the new power supplies with the increased power rating. The original power supplies were under-rated and caused significant instability.

Regards,
Ian.

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:22

Yes, I agree with Ian. By moving the hard drive over to the new device any problem stings, especially with the mount points, will have been copied to the new machine.

I cant tell from your post whether you have successfully done a fresh install of the firmware.
Beyonwiz T4

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:41

Well, I didn't have to wait long ...
mister_bimbo wrote:26. Left the T2 running displaying a TV image (no menu) to see if being in the menu is a source of crashes.
I left it running with just the TV image but the sounded muted: the box rebooted itself twice within 10 mins ... the sound came back on (so I wondered what had happened) ... I went and turned the sound off again ... and the next time I walked past the unit, I saw it in the middle of a reboot.

After the second reboot, I came back after about 40 mins to a blank screen, which indicates that the box has CRASHED.

I've reinstated my P1, which has been uber reliable since the day of purchase ... will have to await a more stable product from BW :)

Cheers,
David

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:48

Hi Ian,
IanSav wrote:As a test, why don't you try a fresh install of the firmware via USB and don't restore any settings. Don't configure the network mounts! Just run the unit as a simple PVR and see if it is stable.
Thanks for the suggestions ... in the interests of debugging this, I'll try the firmware and no network mount points. That won't help me as I cannot use it without the network configured, but I'll try it anyway.
IanSav wrote:Also you should check with Beyonwiz to see if you have one of the new power supplies with the increased power rating. The original power supplies were under-rated and caused significant instability.
I actually particularly checked this before the unit was delivered - here is the detail from the service ticket that I logged with BW:
  1. I have a few questions to clarify:
    1. When the new unit arrives will it come with the correct/updated power supply? If this is the case, I take it that you would prefer that I replace my existing power supply?
    2. If the power supply is being sent separately, do you know when this would be? I may as well wait until I have both components otherwise I may introduce a problem :)
    3. Does the unit come with the correct boot loader? As you are aware, the last time it did not, and the USB drive supplied with the boot loader was faulty.
    4. If the boot loader needs to be upgraded, will you be supplying me a USB drive with an image for that? I have discarded the faulty USB stick already (to avoid repeating an error!).

I look forward to getting the new unit to perform as required :)
And the answer that I got was ...
  1. Hi David,
    The new unit will come with latest software and bootloader installed, it will also include the new power supply so please swap out both your box and the existing power supply and send them back to us.

Regards,

DTC Help Desk
The service that BW have provided has been great, but it does appear that these T2's are not sufficient network-stable as yet.

Cheers,
David

Return to “Networking”