Playing/Copying movies from One T3 to another T3

Moderators: Gully, peteru

oosty
Apprentice

Playing/Copying movies from One T3 to another T3

Post by oosty » Thu Apr 23, 2015 21:52

I have been told I can play movies that are stored on one T3 to watch on another T3. I can not work out how to do this. Can someone Please help.

NedIS
Master

Re: Playing/Copying movies from One T3 to another T3

Post by NedIS » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11

Need more info are T3 networked?

If not easiest way is just copy recording to usb stick and open on other machine!

oosty
Apprentice

Post by oosty » Fri Apr 24, 2015 18:36

T3's are networks on same network.

T3 Lounge has IP address 10.1.1.101
T3 Bedroom has IP address 10.1.1.102

Both are Ethernet cabled and have allocated IP Addresses

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Apr 24, 2015 18:43

So you can either use DLNA or Windows share mounting to allow you to play from one to the other.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

oosty
Apprentice

Post by oosty » Fri Apr 24, 2015 21:37

Sorry to be a novice But How might I do that on the T3

jazza
Master

Post by jazza » Sat Apr 25, 2015 14:02

Map a connection from each to the other in menu/setup/network/mount manager is easy enough.

I record to HDD on one t3, map its recording folder on my nas as \\nas\media\dvr then tell both t3s to use 'media' button root of \\nas\media and then tell the hdd-less t3 to record to \\nas\media\dvr

This way I have a single DVR recording HDD and both check for unique recordings on EPG and single disk and both can play/delete/record/resume recordings.

oosty
Apprentice

Post by oosty » Sat Apr 25, 2015 14:21

ty Jazza,

But I am not looking for Centralised Storage, each Device as its on HD and all I am looking to do is be able to play a show from one device to the other.

Robin

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Apr 25, 2015 14:57

jazza wrote:Map a connection from each to the other in menu/setup/network/mount manager is easy enough. ...
For a sufficiently large value of "easy enough".

Before doing any of this, give the two T3s different network names in MENU>Setup>Network>Mount manager>Change hostname. After making the change reboot the T3s (MENU>Setup>Network>Network restart may also work).

Using MENU>Setup>Network>Network browser, when it works properly, does a good job of filling in most of the fields that need to be filled in manually if you go directly to Mount manager rather than the Network browser.

Once the Network browser finishes its scan, it should show the network names of the T3s. Select the one you want to mount, and then press OK, and then select Harddisk and press OK again. When it asks if you want to set a username and password, select "no" (that will work for mounting shares from other T3's; shares from PCs and NASes are likely to need the username/password).

It will then show the mount setup screen and all its settings should have been set correctly. If you're satisfied with those settings (you may want to change "Local share name", for example), press OK. And then select "yes" in the "Are you sure..." popup.

You'll get a popup telling you that the mount is being activated, then one saying it has been activated.

Then exit back to Live TV.

You should now see the mount in the MENU>Sources list. However, don't be tempted to play recordings or media through the MENU>Sources list. It can play recordings and media, but it's an inferior player.

Use the Movie Player instead (MEDIA from live TV) and the YELLOW Location button there to navigate to the mounted folders of the other T3.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

oosty
Apprentice

Post by oosty » Sat Apr 25, 2015 17:14

Yeah, Its done.

Thank you to all who helped, sorry if I sounded too novice. But this is new to me and I just wanted to make sure I was doing every thing the right way,

Robin

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Apr 25, 2015 17:40

oosty wrote:Yeah, Its done. ...
:D
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Swanny
Apprentice

Post by Swanny » Wed Sep 02, 2015 15:13

This may need another thread. - here goes.

I believe that two T4s can talk to each other. To replace two Tivos, one T4 would be in one area of the house the other T4 (maybe aT3) would be in another. Both would be on the same wired network. At present we can transfer a TV show from one TiVo to the other to watch.
Question: can a TV connected to one T4 play/see a show recordered on the other. It this a simple thing to set up. So it can be readily done.
From this thread it seems as if the TV on one BW can see the other BW.
Now this may be a bit premature as our T4 somewhere on it way across the desert.
It may sound silly with 4tuners but my wife wants to feel confident with a backup unit. I just want to be prepared. We have been let down with Tivos demise and now Fetch is no longer supported by TPG.

We are 100% Apple folk so any PC windows work is not possible.
I realise this thread may have expired.
Beyonwiz T4x2, WizOz, wired and wifi local network, LG TVs, . MBPro, iPad Air 2s, IceTV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Sep 02, 2015 15:21

This will all work nicely.

The two T4s can mount each-other's harddisks across your network as if they were locally connected harddisks.
That means, you could have a T4 record to its own harddisk, or record to the other T4's harddisk.
The two T4s can also play recordings off each-others harddisks.
You can even have one T4 configured to "borrow" a tuner off the other T4 and stream Live TV over the network in the unlikely event that the T4 you are watching runs out of its own tuners. (this feature is called "standby tuner", one limitation is that you can't record from a standby tuner).

If you want a second unit and don't want the expense of a second T4, then I would recommend a T2 before a T3. The T2 now comes with 3 tuners by default (with a USB tuner addon). The T2 has a slightly more powerful processor, but cuts a few features of the T3 that you may or may not want.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Sep 02, 2015 15:45

The T2 can also be completely silent if you are planning on using it in the bedroom. It has no fans and supports a standard SATA SSD (solid state disk - no spinning parts)

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Swanny
Apprentice

Post by Swanny » Wed Sep 02, 2015 15:50

Thank you, I am getting very excited and will most likely go for the T2 as suggested. I'll get my head around the T4 first
:)
Beyonwiz T4x2, WizOz, wired and wifi local network, LG TVs, . MBPro, iPad Air 2s, IceTV

jazza
Master

Post by jazza » Sun Sep 06, 2015 09:21

As mrquade stated standby tuner is available, under setup/tuners/tuner setup/ "enable fallback remote receiver" and "fallback remote receiver URL"

I've got this configured but with 4 tuners in the T4 I'm not sure how I see when this kicks in and grabs a channel from the T3.

When I use my Kodi box with the same settings pointed at the T4 it does work a treat so I assume it's working fine when required (>4 broadcaster recordings simultaneously).

In my book this is exactly how all media devices should interact given how clunky basic/lightweight/half implemented protocols like dlna TRY to work. Don't get me wrong a proper dlna media controller/renderer combo is great (tellemote GUI+beyonwizT4) but stock dlna folder browsing is rubbish. Using IP based service/port control makes it work like proper IT gear. /endrant

It's what makes the enigma based DVR hardware so popular. :D

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Sep 06, 2015 09:33

jazza wrote:I've got this configured but with 4 tuners in the T4 I'm not sure how I see when this kicks in and grabs a channel from the T3.
Heh, yea, the chances of me needing more than the for tuners at once is pretty remote too.
However if you set up a recording for different broadcasters on each of the four tuners, then zap to a fifth broadcaster, the T series handle it all quite seamlessly. The fact that you can't record of the standby tuner is a minor inconvenience.

The trick to ensuring that you never run out of tuners would be to divide your scheduled recordings up between the two units. Only ever set up recordings for commercial stations on one T4 and put the rest on the other T4. You should always have a tuner free, and if by some coincidence your last tuner gets used elsewhere, you can still live view with the standby tuner feature. The fact that you can get both T4s to record to the same hardisk over the network is a bonus, so you only ever have to go looking for recordings in one spot.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Return to “Networking”