T3 cannot see W7 shares

Moderators: Gully, peteru

IanC
Apprentice

T3 cannot see W7 shares

Post by IanC » Tue Feb 17, 2015 19:04

Hi – before I go any further I will say I have studied the forum post extensively and tried all the suggestions and settings re networking to a W7 Ultimate PC.

My PC can see the T3 and the T3 can see the DNLA server on my PC (soo can see the network and my computer) but it cannot mount Samba shares.

It can see my PC and IP via network browser but will not expand the list (which may be normal) and tries for a couple of minutes but will not expand the host list.

Samba is turned on and Workgroup names are the same. All usual stuff done inc restart everything multiple times. Wired Ethernet using DHCP in T3. Shares on PC are OK as can be seen from TV, other Beyonwizes I have as well as WDTV.

The folder I want to share is: \\IAN-PC\DVDs , account name is Ian, pw is xyz (as an example).

In mounting I have it set

Mount using - OUTOFS
Active - On
Local share name - DVDs
Mount type - CIFS
Server IP – 192.168.1.99 (I know this is correct)
Server share - DVDs
Use as HDD replacement - "Turned Off"
Mount options - rw,utf8
Username – Ian
Password – zyx

I have tried other combinations for server share but limited as the device remote cannot output back slashes.
Any help will be appreciated, thanks

prl
Wizard God

Re: T3 cannot see W7 shares

Post by prl » Tue Feb 17, 2015 19:17

Samba needs to be enabled for the PC to be able to see network mounts on the T3. It's not relevant to the T3 being able to mount shares from the PC.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

IanC
Apprentice

Post by IanC » Tue Feb 17, 2015 19:34

OK thanks - but that does not help solve the issue which still stands irregardless of my lack of understanding how the T3 manages Samba setup. I provided all that info though to give a comprehensive summary so assistance could be effective. Cheers

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Tue Feb 17, 2015 22:32

IanC wrote:Hi – before I go any further I will say I have studied the forum post extensively and tried all the suggestions and settings re networking to a W7 Ultimate PC.

My PC can see the T3 and the T3 can see the DNLA server on my PC (soo can see the network and my computer) but it cannot mount Samba shares.

It can see my PC and IP via network browser but will not expand the list (which may be normal) and tries for a couple of minutes but will not expand the host list.

Samba is turned on and Workgroup names are the same. All usual stuff done inc restart everything multiple times. Wired Ethernet using DHCP in T3. Shares on PC are OK as can be seen from TV, other Beyonwizes I have as well as WDTV.

The folder I want to share is: \\IAN-PC\DVDs , account name is Ian, pw is xyz (as an example).

In mounting I have it set

Mount using - OUTOFS
Active - On
Local share name - DVDs
Mount type - CIFS
Server IP – 192.168.1.99 (I know this is correct)
Server share - DVDs
Use as HDD replacement - "Turned Off"
Mount options - rw,utf8
Username – Ian
Password – zyx

I have tried other combinations for server share but limited as the device remote cannot output back slashes.
Any help will be appreciated, thanks
If you can see the pc from the T3 network browser but can't see the shares that normally means it might be an account issue. Have you tried turning off password protected sharing in windows. I don't mean for the share but the setting in networks or somewhere. There's a few settings in there that can stop the T3 initially seeing the shares. Once it sees them, the setting can sometimes be switched back. Ones to look at are the password protected sharing, guest access and public folders.
Beyonwiz T4

IanC
Apprentice

Post by IanC » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:36

Thanks - I tried that with no success. All network settings and account settings are as lax as they can be regarding access and sharing with no password, or passwords required.
Also I have an Ultrabook running W7 home and have taken down all sharing permissions on it as well as account password and the T3 cannot see that shares - it shows it in network browser but will not expand list either.
So I follow your idea of account settings but it is problematic across 2 machines with both accounts having full sharing permissions and no pws (and can be seen from other devices) .

The t3 is connected via a switch and Ethernet over power but cannot see these being an issue as it can see the PC and PC can see T3. Just not expanding shares even in Public folder. The otehr Beyonwix connected to same EOP and switch can see PC shares no problem.

I am coincidentally getting a new modem today and see if that fixes. Any other thoughts please?

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Wed Feb 18, 2015 14:00

By modem, I assume that means router too so something different might change it. If you have the same issue with Win 7 home that rules out some of the Win 7 Pro security issues.

You would have seen from other posts that it has been an issue for some in connecting to Win 7. What resolves it is often just trying a few different things "until it works". But such is the nature of home networks. I recall taking ages to get my original DP-P1 to see my windows PC and yet my T3 saw my Win 7 Pro laptop immediately. Others have had the opposite experience.

I suggest you get your new router in and try again. If you're still having a problem post back an we'll try a bit more systematically to look at settings. I'm onsite at a mine at present anyway so most o my comments have been from memory of trying it and helping others previously.
Beyonwiz T4

IanC
Apprentice

Post by IanC » Wed Feb 18, 2015 19:41

OK thanks Simon

Te new modem/router did not make any difference unfortunately. I ran isolation tests on the system with just the t3 and computers connected with similar results. I also directly connected T3 to router to isolate the switch and EOP with same result.

Your additional assistance will be appreciated. My 1st email re setup still stands and no connection on mounts or expanding shares using Network Browser on and computer in the place. Under the network browser it tries when I slectthe various PCs it has located by IP address, and wheel spins for 2-3 mins on before it gives up, Cheers

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Wed Feb 18, 2015 20:51

What happened when you tried to mount the drive using the manual settings. Did you get an error or a timeout etc?
Beyonwiz T4

IanC
Apprentice

Post by IanC » Thu Feb 19, 2015 08:59

So when I set up mount and go to source it is empty. When I restart T3 the entry in the source list is gone (as clearly not mounted) and then when I go to manage the mounts there is a red checkbox in that entry. Cheers

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Thu Feb 19, 2015 09:16

Can you tell me the values for all of the settings in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings for the current profile so I can try to duplicate what you have. Also the settings for the folder that you are sharing.
Beyonwiz T4

IanC
Apprentice

Post by IanC » Thu Feb 19, 2015 13:01

Sure Simon - this applies to the PC and Ultrabook as I have same settings on both.

Sharing settings- Home
Network discovery on
File + printer sharing on
Public access folders on
Media streaming on (I can see computers via t3 using DNLA so this is working)
128 bit encyrption (also tried with 40 bit)
Password protect sharing off
Homegroup -use user accounts and passwords (also tried allowing Windows to manage settings)

Shares - set advanced permissions for "everyone" to have full read/write full access on the shares

User accounts set up without a password (tried with a pw too)

Thanks mate

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Thu Feb 19, 2015 13:24

Ok, I'll try and look later today. The other thing you could try is to change the mount manager connection to be fstab rather than autofs. It might not fix it but may give more information. Note that if it doesn't work, change it back to autofs or delete the mount as leaving a non functioning mount in fstab can delay boot up as it will try to force a connection rather than autofs that will ignore a non functioning mount until it is needed.

Also did you say in you had tried connecting the t3 directly to your router as your power line network is the onlynyhing so far that's different to what I have..
Beyonwiz T4

IanC
Apprentice

Post by IanC » Thu Feb 19, 2015 13:40

I did try direct to router- but...FSTAB has worked as you suggest and it can see the mount now :-).
Thanks for your advice here Simon.

Will just have to make sure PC is on when I boot up, and it almost always will be.

ps edit - after it worked with FSTAB I tried another directory (that I had tried 10 times before with no joy) using Autofs and it found it. It seems that seeing one with FSTAB has cleared the way for others. I will try reverting the FSTAB one back to autofs now and would not be surprised it it works...

Return to “Networking”