Download recordings over Internet via FTP...?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Pooley72
Apprentice

Download recordings over Internet via FTP...?

Post by Pooley72 » Sun May 02, 2021 17:30

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster so please be gentle.

We were away for the weekend and I discovered that 9now no longer offers your full local nightly news as a catchup service. I wanted to watch it and knew that it had recorded at home so looked for a way to download it off of my U4 to my Android Tablet that I had. Appears that it is not such an easy matter. Tried a few things to access the recording directly however no success. Ended up copying it to my PC (via Team Viewer -> Windows Explorer already set up with an SMB share) and then started File Transfer with Team Viewer which was frustrating slow (around 1.5MB per second). Got frustrated with that so copied it to my Google Drive and then downloaded it to the tablet from there (upload speed much faster - around 6MB per second - I'm on Internode HFC NBN - 1000/50).

When we got home today I had a bit of a play around with various things and found that FTP worked fine (over the LAN) once I had set myself up with a root password. This got me thinking that this might work well for me over the WAN as well although I do get the distinct impression that there are inherent security risks with having the U4 open to the web via FTP. I did try to access the files on the U4 via the Internet (with FileZilla) however kept on getting

Code: Select all

[color=#00BF00]Response:	530 Login incorrect.[/color]
Wiz U4 19.3.20211010 (20211007-0-g815eca2) 2TB WD Green
Wiz DP-S1 200GB (In hibernation/retirement)

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Download recordings over Internet via FTP...?

Post by MrQuade » Sun May 02, 2021 18:42

The best option is to configure a VPN server on your internet router do that you can log into your LAN from the internet. Then everything works more or less work as of you were at home. Any decent router should let your set up a VPN server.

The less desirable option is to configure port forwarding on your router and redirect the FTP and/or the web ports to your U4. This is not a great idea because it exposes your U4 directly to the internet, and you will be relying on the U4's security to keep people out.... No guarantee there.

In order to be able to find your PC from the internet, you will need to set up a dynamic DNS address for your home network. Most good routers can handle this too, bit if not, you can run a dynamic DNS client on any other device connected to your home network.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Pooley72
Apprentice

Post by Pooley72 » Sun May 02, 2021 22:19

Hi Mr Quade.

Thanks for your reply. My post was incomplete as I accidentally pressed enter and (as a noob?) I didn't have the ability to go back an edit the post :?

So I have a Fritz Box 7490 which has a baked in VPN (which I have never tried to use) and also has its own Dynamic DNS address (*.myfritz.net) which I do successfully use for other things.

So I have been playing around with trying to set up a VPN though my modem (Fritz Box 7490 running latest firmware). I have never tried setting up a VPN before and I am not having much joy. I get all of the details in and set up but I don't seem to to able to get the 'Status' light in the VPN interface to light up.

Do you have any familiarity with the Fritz Box VPN interface and how to set it up?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon May 03, 2021 00:26

Pooley72 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 22:19
Do you have any familiarity with the Fritz Box VPN interface and how to set it up?
I am afraid not. I have only used VPNs on Billion, TP-Link and Asus routers.

prl is a Fritzbox fan though, and may be able to shed some light.

What sort of VPN are you attempting to create? PPTP, IPSec, or OpenVPN?

A very cursory search finds some mentions of "FritzVPN" and needing to run a custom client. Hopefully, Fritz's VPN process is a little more transparent than what I am seeing though.

Pooley72
Apprentice

Post by Pooley72 » Tue May 04, 2021 19:12

MrQuade wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 00:26

What sort of VPN are you attempting to create? PPTP, IPSec, or OpenVPN?
Hi MrQuade and thanks for your response.

Firstly, I'm a total noob to the world of VPN's so those terms mean not a great deal to me. I did however get it to work by re-entering the details in my tablet. I think there was an issue with a field "IPSec Identifier" that had the text "Not required" during the setup process. The details from the FritzBox had data in that field so I entered that and tried again and I was then able to connect via the mobile network and access the Wiz as if I was on the LAN when in fact I was on the WAN. For interest the FritzBox VPN configuration settings stated that the type of VPN was 'IPSec' or 'IPSec Xauth PSK;
A very cursory search finds some mentions of "FritzVPN" and needing to run a custom client. Hopefully, Fritz's VPN process is a little more transparent than what I am seeing though.
So I have a File Explorer type software on both my tablet and my (Android) mobile and as long as I am not connected to my LAN then I can start the VPN and access the files on my PC/Wiz like I am on the LAN. All good there :)

Unfortunately I cannot access the VPN using AVM (Fritz) VPN software from a Windows 10 PC as believe it or not it is not compatible with Windows 10 as per https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/frit ... indows-10/. Go figure.

Thanks again for your help.

I will resume lurking these forums and defer to the superior knowledge of yourself and the other regulars here.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue May 04, 2021 19:51

Brilliant work :)

Pooley72
Apprentice

Post by Pooley72 » Tue May 04, 2021 22:13

Further to the above I managed to find a way to access my files on my LAN remotely using the VPN by installing Shrew Soft VPN https://www.shrew.net/download/vpn and following these instructions https://superuser.com/questions/312947/ ... vpn-server even though the Shrew Soft VPN is allegedly not compatible with Windows 10.

This meant that I could then access the files on my U4 directly on a remote Windows 10 PC. Yaay :)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jun 01, 2021 14:37

MrQuade wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 00:26
Pooley72 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 22:19
I am afraid not. I have only used VPNs on Billion, TP-Link and Asus routers.

prl is a Fritzbox fan though, and may be able to shed some light.

I am, but I've never used its VPN capability, but I see that in the meantime the problem has been solved.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

stevebow
Master

Post by stevebow » Sat Jul 10, 2021 09:26

I have a Fritzbox 7390 and have used its VPN quite well whenever I am on travel. AVM has the how-to here:

https://en.avm.de/service/knowledge-bas ... FRITZ-Box/

The setup is exactly the same for the 7490.

On Windows 10 you won't be able to use the AVM VPN client, but will need instead to install the Shrew Soft client. Just follow AVM's instructions and you should be good.

Return to “Networking”