Access USB drive from PC, Tablet etc.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

KGL
Master

Access USB drive from PC, Tablet etc.

Post by KGL » Thu Oct 31, 2019 08:44

Hi All

I have a U4 with an external USB drive attached. I can access and copy files using the U4 interface between other drives on the network - e.g. an external drive attached to my router. I can see the movie folder on the U4 from my laptop and tablet (using Solid Explorer) but I can't see the USB drive attached to the U4 from these devices.

Is this possible? Ideally I would like to move files etc around using the Laptop or Tablet but as I can't see the U4 USB drive, I can't.

How can I set this up?

Regards

Greg

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: Access USB drive from PC, Tablet etc.

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Oct 31, 2019 09:43

Yep, you need to share out the USB drive. The first attached USB device will be mounted/assigned as /media/usb, the second as /media/sdc1, with the third as /media/sdd1.

On your PC, use Notepad to create a file with contents as below.
For firmware prior to the 19.3 series, name it "smb_user.conf". For 19.3 series 20190630 and onwards, name it "smb-user.conf".
Add these entries if you already have a Samba user configuration file.

Code: Select all

[USB-usb]
  comment = /sdb1
  path = /media/usb
  guest ok = yes
  read only = no

[USB-sdc1]
  comment = /sdc1
  path = /media/sdc1
  guest ok = yes
  read only = no

[USB-sdd1]
  comment = /sdd1
  path = /media/sdd1
  guest ok = yes
  read only = no
Then either (i) copy that file to a USB drive, detach from the PC, and insert that USB drive into your Wiz,
-or- (ii) copy it directly to the "Movie" share on the Wiz (if you avoid using USB as the transport mechanism, then all of the below can be be done using OpenWebif from your PC).

Open File Commander (MENU>>Sources / Files).
Press NEXT to swap panes to the RHS
Navigate the right pane to Internal Flash, then "etc", then "samba".
Use the PREV key to switch panes to the left
Then either open the USB drive containing the "smb_user.conf" file, or open "movies"
Select the "smb_user.conf" file, and press YELLOW to copy the selected file to the target location on the right. Reply yes to the copy prompt.
If the listing doesn't dynamically update (f/w dependent), then use the "0" key to refresh the displays.
Exit back to live TV.

Use "SimpleUmount" to eject the USB flash drive (if used as the transport device). Older firmware had this plugin attached to the BLUE extension menu, Later firmwares have it in the "Plugins" column.

Wait 30 seconds or so, then check access on your PC/tablet.

KGL
Master

Post by KGL » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:10

Thanks Grumpy Geoff

Works like a treat.

I had to use the BW remote as I couldn't get the OpenWebif remote to work but now that it is all done the OpenWebif seems to be working. Not sure what I was doing wrong before.

Cheers

Greg

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:54

If you had any special screens open on the Wiz when you tried to control it with the Web Interface, that can cause the web controls to not work properly.

Usually anything that uses the web browser (like HbbTV), or special graphics (like Kodi on the V2) will restrict your inputs to the remote or a locally connected keyboard.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Return to “Networking”