U4 vs Smart TV - Networking Advantages?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Jeddie
Master

U4 vs Smart TV - Networking Advantages?

Post by Jeddie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 07:49

Currently I have not connected my U4 to the internet. Nor have I mounted a drive on U4 to my local PC for my local movies/photos.

Instead I use my smart TV to watch SBS On Demand, Youtube and my local movies via DLNA. The TV interface for my local movies/photos is rudimentary, but it works. I don’t watch Freeview

I want make sure I’m getting the most out of my U4.

By not connecting to the internet with U4, am I missing out on any improved functionality?
Is there something that the U4 does exceptionally well (Youtube?) that may be a better option than my TV?
Anything else come to mind where the U4 may be superior?

Your thoughts

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: U4 vs Smart TV - Networking Advantages?

Post by MrQuade » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:08

Jeddie wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 07:49
By not connecting to the internet with U4, am I missing out on any improved functionality?
Is there something that the U4 does exceptionally well (Youtube?) that may be a better option than my TV?
Primarily you will be missing out on the online updates hat are released occasionally to sort out bugs and add features (including new channel icons).
If you are on the beta update feed, these updates come fairly frequently.

The U4 is also a very good media player, and can connect to your PC or NAS using SMB (Windows Networking) or NFS. It does support DLNA as well, but DLNA is a pretty terrible protocol, and I wouldn't recommend it over the alternatives if they are available.

If the U4 is connected to your network, you can stream live TV or recordings to other network connected devices in your home. You can also remotely program the U4's timers and see its up to date EPG from a web browser without having to switch the TV on and wrestle with the remote.

The U4's Youtube and Internet streaming capabilities are nothing to write home about frankly, so you are not missing much there if you have those duties covered already.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:45

Also, you only have the option of using IceTV if your Beyonwiz is networked.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Jeddie
Master

Post by Jeddie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:02

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:08
Jeddie wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 07:49
Primarily you will be missing out on the online updates hat are released occasionally to sort out bugs and add features (including new channel icons).
Thanks Mr Quade. This raises another question.

I did say my U4 is not connected to Internet. However I am not sure if I am correct in saying that or not? Let me explain;

With your previous help, I have managed to setup the U4 so that I can see it in File Explorer on my PC via wired connection. This enables me to drag & drop files onto the U4. Also I can open Openwebif on my PC to view contents.

I have not entered any windows usernames or password or mounted any drives into the U4.

So am I connected to internet?
Will I get the firmware upgrades?

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:11

Jeddie wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:02

I did say my U4 is not connected to Internet. However I am not sure if I am correct in saying that or not? Let me explain;

With your previous help, I have managed to setup the U4 so that I can see it in File Explorer on my PC via wired connection. This enables me to drag & drop files onto the U4. Also I can open Openwebif on my PC to view contents.

I have not entered any windows usernames or password or mounted any drives into the U4.

So am I connected to internet?
Will I get the firmware upgrades?
Almost certainly you are connected. To check: MENU > INFORMATION > NETWORK and look for a GREEN dot in the top line next to "Internet".

To get firmware upgrades use MENU >SETUP > SOFTWARE MANAGER and select the appropriate option. You should be configured for automatic background checks so you will get production releases.

If you have updated to the 19.3 Beta firmware, as I understand it, currently users are getting beta updates on both the production feed and the beta feed. Normally we have to run a script to enable the beta feed. Regardless, the latest beta is looking very solid. Don't forget to take a backup before upgrading though - it saves potential misery with lost settings and timers!
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Aug 13, 2019 13:02

prl wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:45
Also, you only have the option of using IceTV if your Beyonwiz is networked.

The option for IceTV is there whether you are networked or not. Of course, IceTV will not function correctly without Internet connectivity.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Aug 13, 2019 13:33

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:11
If you have updated to the 19.3 Beta firmware, as I understand it, currently users are getting beta updates on both the production feed and the beta feed. Normally we have to run a script to enable the beta feed. Regardless, the latest beta is looking very solid. Don't forget to take a backup before upgrading though - it saves potential misery with lost settings and timers!

Users of other models (T2, T3, T4, U4) who have done a USB upgrade to a 19.3 beta release will automatically get online beta upgrades. V2 users will not automatically get online beta updates. They still need to follow the instructions in Switching your software feed to a live beta to get online beta upgrades.

There were some issues with some of the online beta upgrades that caused the upgrade process to hang. If you want to move onto the beta upgrades for any model, I suggest that you do it by going straight to the 20190802 USB beta firmware, then set up for online beta updates if you have a V2, then do a beta upgrade.

Some of the beta upgrades after 20190802 give a "large online upgrade" warning, but if you want the upgrades, that's the only way to get them. There haven't been reports of problems with the upgrade process from 20190802 onward.

The current beta is 20190811.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Aug 13, 2019 13:55

prl wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 13:33
V2 users on 19.3 firmware versions will automatically get online beta upgrades. Users of other models (T2, T3, T4, U4) who have done a USB upgrade to a 19.3 beta release will not automatically get online beta updates. They still need to follow the instructions in Switching your software feed to a live beta to get online beta upgrades.
That's back to front. V2 users need to switch feeds if they want to move to beta. For all the other models, the beta and production feeds are the same at this stage, which means that a machine other than V2 that is on 19.3 is participating in the beta. This will change once 19.3 becomes the new official release.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Aug 13, 2019 13:56

prl wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 13:33
V2 users on 19.3 firmware versions will automatically get online beta upgrades. Users of other models (T2, T3, T4, U4) who have done a USB upgrade to a 19.3 beta release will not automatically get online beta updates. They still need to follow the instructions in Switching your software feed to a live beta to get online beta upgrades.

Haven't you got that back-to-front?
That is, V2 users need to be on the beta feed to get updates, whereas T/U-series users currently don't need to be on the beta feed for the 19.3-series updates (as currently both feeds are updated).

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Aug 13, 2019 14:55

peteru wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 13:55
That's back to front.
Quite right. :oops:

Fixed now.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

stevebow
Master

Post by stevebow » Sat Aug 17, 2019 15:04

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:08
You can also remotely program the U4's timers and see its up to date EPG from a web browser without having to switch the TV on and wrestle with the remote.

Just to add to MrQuade's comment, if you don't mind wrangling a VPN, it's a great way to be able to remotely set up timers while away on holiday.

Return to “Networking”