T4 not Networking

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Sandy B
Master

T4 not Networking

Post by Sandy B » Wed Jun 26, 2019 16:11

I am to network my T4 with my DP-P2 and a hdd attached to my router/modem without too much luck. The system are connected via LAN cables and powerline adaptor. The DP-P2 can access the T4's (IP 192.168.1.6) hdd and will play recorded programs. I am able to access via WizFx the DP-P2 (IP 192.168.1.10). Similar I can access the Router hdd (IP 192.168.1.1) with computer. In short I believe that all three devices (T4, DP-P2, Router hdd) are networked as all appear on computer File Explorer.

However when I try to network via the T4 (menu>setup>network>Network browser), it does not see the DP-P2, but does see the Router hdd. When I give it the username and password, I assume that these are the same as I use to logon to router, all I get is a constant spinning wheel. The only way to retrieve the situation is to power off via rear power switch.

I know I must be doing something wrong but cannot understand what.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: T4 not Networking

Post by MrQuade » Wed Jun 26, 2019 16:31

Sandy B wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 16:11
However when I try to network via the T4 (menu>setup>network>Network browser), it does not see the DP-P2, but does see the Router hdd. When I give it the username and password, I assume that these are the same as I use to logon to router, all I get is a constant spinning wheel. The only way to retrieve the situation is to power off via rear power switch.

I know I must be doing something wrong but cannot understand what.
The T4 will not find the DP-P2 when you use the network Browser. The DP-P2 doesn't have a SMB or NFS server, so it will not be seen. The only way to get recordings from the DP-P2 is via the wizpnp protocol (used by WizFX) as you noted earlier.

When you say you can access the router from the PC, do you mean that you can use the PC to access the HDD that is attached to the router via Windows Explorer, or are you talking about just accessing the router's web configuration page?

If so, do you provide a username and password when you access the Router's shared HDD from the PC? That's the username and password that you should use when trying to mount the router's HDD from the T4.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Wed Jun 26, 2019 17:10

When you say you can access the router from the PC, do you mean that you can use the PC to access the HDD that is attached to the router via Windows Explorer, or are you talking about just accessing the router's web configuration page?
I can access the router hdd, with FE and play a video file by simply clicking on a file. I use Internet Explore to access router configuration.
It now appears in FE, hard to recall but I think the first time I access it via FE I think I gave it the same user name and password that I give it when access the router configuration.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Jun 26, 2019 17:30

When you create the mount, and look under the "options" entry (near the bottom). Is there a "vers=2.1" shown there?

This option forces the T4 to use version 2.1 of the SMB protocol to access the share, and your router may be upset with that. (some NAS units are known to take issue, but the option is required in order to access Windows 7 or Windows 10 shared folders).

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Wed Jun 26, 2019 18:12

When you create the mount, and look under the "options" entry (near the bottom). Is there a "vers=2.1" shown there?
Where do I find the "option", is it in Network browser, now that I have scanned for networks when I enter the browser section I only get the scanned networks and the coloured keys option of Close (red), Login (green), Rescan (yellow) and Expert (blue)

Actually what spurred this question/ problem is that I have a nephew in Adelaide who is quite a expert on networking. However he is unable to mount a Plex server on his new V2, apparently it is networked he can see it in FE, but it will not show in the V2's Network browser. Do you think he is having the same problem as me.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Jun 26, 2019 18:33

Sandy B wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 18:12
Where do I find the "option", is it in Network browser, now that I have scanned for networks when I enter the browser section I only get the scanned networks and the coloured keys option of Close (red), Login (green), Rescan (yellow) and Expert (blue)
Actually sorry, you wont see that option until the first username/password screen has been passed, so you may not be there yet.

What happens if you don't enter a username/password when first prompted?
Sandy B wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 18:12
Actually what spurred this question/ problem is that I have a nephew in Adelaide who is quite a expert on networking. However he is unable to mount a Plex server on his new V2, apparently it is networked he can see it in FE, but it will not show in the V2's Network browser. Do you think he is having the same problem as me.
The ver=2.1 options may be causing his problems if his Plex server is running on a NAS that doesn't do SMB versions 2.1 or higher.

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Wed Jun 26, 2019 18:46

What happens if you don't enter a username/password when first prompted?
It will not clear the password and user name. Is there a way to unmount. I used text>clr>ok, but they do not clear.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Jun 26, 2019 18:51

Under mount manager, select "User management".

You can delete any saved passwords there with the YELLOW button.

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Wed Jun 26, 2019 19:31

You can delete any saved passwords there with the YELLOW button.
Entered Mount manager, and yellowed keyed the router (it had several listing cleared all)

Re-entered Network manager and gave it no user name or password.

Mounted a directory

Did media>location and directory came up, clicked on directory and it says it cannot find the directory.

Tried reboot but it will still not find directory.

I still cannot find the "option" box you mentioned earlier

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Jun 26, 2019 19:43

Sandy B wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 19:31
I still cannot find the "option" box you mentioned earlier
It is called "Mount options" (sorry)
1_0_1_468_460_1012_EEEE0000_0_0_0_20190626174030.jpg
1_0_1_468_460_1012_EEEE0000_0_0_0_20190626174030.jpg (550.75 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
You can also try putting the router's username and password into the fields shown on that same screen to see if it helps.

Perhaps the router is rejecting the username for browsing, but requires it for share access. Hard to know with so many different devices out there that may or may not work properly.

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Thu Jun 27, 2019 15:18

Perhaps the router is rejecting the username for browsing, but requires it for share access. Hard to know with so many different devices out there that may or may not work properly.
I have tried many alternative without success. Giving user name and password does not allow any progress in the mounting procedure.

It appears that I am able to mount without user name and password appears but in the end can not find the path.

I tried to get screen shots, but I don't know how to post here.

in the mounts editor>Mounts options it says "rw,utf8". Do you think that that should be changed to "rw,utf8,vers=2.1". how do you achieve that, is it simply by the additional "vers=2.1", I don't think that will work but it is the only option I can see.
'"
As previously indicated it appears to mount as it appears in >media>location. However when I press OK on it says "it does not exist"

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jun 27, 2019 15:37

Sandy B wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 15:18
in the mounts editor>Mounts options it says "rw,utf8". Do you think that that should be changed to "rw,utf8,vers=2.1". how do you achieve that, is it simply by the additional "vers=2.1", I don't think that will work but it is the only option I can see.
'"
As previously indicated it appears to mount as it appears in >media>location. However when I press OK on it says "it does not exist"
the vers=2.1 option might work if the router requires the higher, more secure, version of SMB (like Windows does).
With so many variables, its really hard to know what to expect in your particular hardware's case.

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Thu Jun 27, 2019 16:27

Thanks Mr Quade:

I think I shall give up on the project that would give me little benefit. However for my knowledge how do you select the "vers=2.1" option.

As state previously these question were spurred by someone trying to mount a Plex server to a V2. I think I will raise a separate thread in the V2 section of the forum.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jun 27, 2019 16:38

Sandy B wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 16:27
However for my knowledge how do you select the "vers=2.1" option.

The Mount options field is just a text field. You modify it either by using SMS-style text entry directly on the settings line, or press TEXT on the settings line to edit it in the Virtual Keyboard screen. So you add it by entering the text ",vers=2.1" at the right-hand end of the text. The order isn't important: it's just simpler to add at the end.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jun 27, 2019 16:39

Sandy B wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 16:27
I think I shall give up on the project that would give me little benefit. However for my knowledge how do you select the "vers=2.1" option.
It needs to be typed in manually. Highlight the Mount options entry and press the TEXT button on the remote to bring up the on-screen keyboard.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 21:54

FWIW, my T3, T4 and U4 see each other, the Windows 7 & 10 PCs and a HDD attached to the router but only if the router has the usb storage enabled.

Except for Win10, each uses the standard "rw, utf8" in the mount manager field. For Win10 it's also got ", vers=3.0".

I have found the Network Browser does not expand until it has the right credentials for each IP address. The PCs and router all have user accounts but not the wizzes.

For the router, it's just the standard user_id & password.

For the PCs I create a Bwiz user account and password.

For the wizzes, I use "guest" as the user with a blank password.

All the IP addresses are allocated by MAC address in the router.

Usernames & passwords are first entered in the Network Browser but also appear in the appropriate fields for each mountpoint in Mountpoints management.

May or may not help you but this configuration works for me so check it out and see if you spot any differences. I don't have a NAS nor do I use Dreamplex so it may not help your nephew.

Networking is very fussy about small details so take your time and double check everything. This I know from experience!
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Fri Jun 28, 2019 17:54

Thanks Paul_oz53
Networking is very fussy about small details so take your time and double check everything. This I know from experience
You are not joking about fussy. I know that I am wasting every bodies time and including mine, but this mystery has gotten to me.
I have found the Network Browser does not expand until it has the right credentials for each IP address
I find that I can expand the router attached hard drive without the credentials, but will not expand once the credentials are established. Leaving the Network browser and going to >media>location, the network drive appears, in both instances (with and without credentials), however when clicking on the path, it indicates that the path does not exist in both instances. Something minor, (if I would know) is preventing it finding the path to the end.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Jun 28, 2019 18:27

Sandy B wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 17:54
I find that I can expand the router attached hard drive without the credentials, but will not expand once the credentials are established. Leaving the Network browser and going to >media>location, the network drive appears, in both instances (with and without credentials), however when clicking on the path, it indicates that the path does not exist in both instances. Something minor, (if I would know) is preventing it finding the path to the end.

One of us may be able to spot something if you -
  • Show us a screenshot of the router hard drive share.
  • Show us that router share definition contained in files /etc/auto.network and /etc/enigma2/automounts.xml.
    Mask out usernames/passwords.
    If the above mount files get out of kilter you're stuffed, and they can easily get out of kilter if you muck around with the mount details without rebooting in between changes.

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Fri Jun 28, 2019 19:06

I haven't quite mastered the art of attaching a screen shot. Please give me some time.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Jun 28, 2019 19:12

Sandy B wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 19:06
I haven't quite mastered the art of attaching a screen shot. Please give me some time.

See the screenshot in this post from last year.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 21:09

Sandy B wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 17:54

I find that I can expand the router attached hard drive without the credentials, but will not expand once the credentials are established.

Usually, not expanding would mean the credentials are wrong. [Edited]

Leaving the Network browser and going to >media>location, the network drive appears, in both instances (with and without credentials), however when clicking on the path, it indicates that the path does not exist in both instances. Something minor, (if I would know) is preventing it finding the path to the end.
If that happens I usually go to mount manager and select the missing mount and resave the settings even if it shows as being mounted (green tick). Do not press anything until the completion message appears as pressing the wrong button cancels the mount. Alternatively, you can restart the GUI to refresh the mount state.

I've often changed settings and had to remount to get a new setting to take.

As Grumpy_Geoff suggests, post screenshots. I normally use OpenWebif desktop version with the remote expanded to navigate to the screen. "Grab screenshot" is under the virtual remote. Select the link. Set OpenWebif to OSD and set refresh to a few seconds. I use 3 seconds.

Use either the remote or the virtual remote to navigate. Save a HD screenshot to the PC, rename it then attach it to a post. Repeat as necessary. Job done.
Last edited by Paul_oz53 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
Denon AVR -X2400H

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Fri Jun 28, 2019 22:07

Double saving as suggested did not do the trick. Still saying that it is mounted, but still says directory does not exist.

Screen shots currently not appearing in medis/hdd.

Going to give it a rest for the night, a clear head tomorrow may help.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Jun 28, 2019 22:42

Sandy B wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 22:07
Screen shots currently not appearing in medis/hdd.

Screenshots from the Wiz don't appear there unless you're using the ShootYourScreen plugin.
What we want from the Wiz is the contents of the two mount files, showing their respective router share entries.
You were directed to a post that shows how to attach files/screenshots to a post - we want to see a screenshot of the share definition of the HDD attached to your router; not something from the Wiz.

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Sat Jun 29, 2019 00:30

If that happens I usually go to mount manager and select the missing mount and resave the settings even if it shows as being mounted (green tick). Do not press anything until the completion message appears as pressing the wrong button cancels the mount.
Miracles do happen, I have finally been able to mount the router hdd. I noticed that user had defaulted to "guest" and password was blank, giving the router's user and password. along with a resave as indicated above by Paul_oz53 did the trick.

One last question, in >Mount Manager>Mountpoints management, I get a further "mount" titled "MEDIA" with IP.192.168.0.0 and Dir./media/hdd, when I click on it I get no response. I assume that this is some false mount that I installed during my and experimentations and that I can delete it.

I am still struggling with the screen shot but I will try to master it for another day

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 03:04

Sandy B wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 00:30
If that happens I usually go to mount manager and select the missing mount and resave the settings even if it shows as being mounted (green tick). Do not press anything until the completion message appears as pressing the wrong button cancels the mount.
Miracles do happen, I have finally been able to mount the router hdd. I noticed that user had defaulted to "guest" and password was blank, giving the router's user and password. along with a resave as indicated above by Paul_oz53 did the trick.

One last question, in >Mount Manager>Mountpoints management, I get a further "mount" titled "MEDIA" with IP.192.168.0.0 and Dir./media/hdd, when I click on it I get no response. I assume that this is some false mount that I installed during my and experimentations and that I can delete it.

I am still struggling with the screen shot but I will try to master it for another day

Glad it's going! :D :D :D

It is nearly always a small detail that you stare at without seeing that causes networking to go off the reservation. In this case, the credentials. Years ago a proofreader instructed me to read every word out loud to force yourself to read what's written, not what you think is written. It may cause others to question your sanity but it works for me ... :lol:

We need to see the content of the two files Grump_Geoff asked for above without actual user_ids & passwords. There's a good chance they are out of sync and that will cause strange problems. Best done by copying them to a PC over the network if you can or via a usb stick.

You can try to delete the mount but the files may need to be checked afterwards to be sure they are healthy. One is an xml file that the GUI interface uses and the second is the version as written by the system based on the xml version. Usually, in my experience it will be the system version that gets corrupted by a lot of tinkering but not always.

Also, to come to grips with screenshots if networked the procedure I use is:

1. In Chrome browser in the address window, type either the IP address of the T4 or "beyonwizt4" (no quotes) to open OpenWebif.

2. Click "Grab screenshot" on the LHS to bring up the current image on the RHS. Now, navigate to a screen of interest.

3. Click on the image and select the "Save image as" option.

I usually save the image to the desktop with a better name than the default gibberish but just put it in a place you can find easily. Then, follow the instructions for uploading an image.
Denon AVR -X2400H

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Sat Jun 29, 2019 09:08

3. Click on the image and select the "Save image as" option.
It was step 3 that was killing me.
[/
•Show us that router share definition contained in files /etc/auto.network and /etc/enigma2/automounts.xml.
quote]
8192_0_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_20190629063144.jpg
8192_0_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_20190629063144.jpg (62.79 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
8192_0_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_20190629063303.jpg
8192_0_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_20190629063303.jpg (47.56 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
With /etc/auto.network, I can not post as it says it cannot find a viewer.

Are these the further images that you require:
8192_0_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_20190629063938.jpg
8192_0_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_20190629063938.jpg (41.58 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
8192_0_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_20190629064038.jpg
8192_0_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_20190629064038.jpg (43.55 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
8192_0_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_20190629064127.jpg
8192_0_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_20190629064127.jpg (41.17 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
Clicking on MEDIA below gives no result
8192_0_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_20190629065614.jpg
8192_0_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_20190629065614.jpg (31.72 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
There's a good chance they are out of sync and that will cause strange problems. Best done by copying them to a PC over the network if you can or via a usb stick.
So far I have played a file from the router hdd, both last night and this morning without any "strange problems".

You know one you learn this screen shot thing it is really quite easy. Looking at preview I still have a little learning to do.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:40

Sandy B wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 09:08
I wrote: •Show us that router share definition contained in files /etc/auto.network and /etc/enigma2/automounts.xml.
8192_0_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_20190629063144.jpg8192_0_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_20190629063303.jpg

You've mapped the router share now, but the screenshot I was after was from the router of its hard drive share - its definition.
The mount file contents are less important now, but when I asking for the contents I was meaning for you to retrieve the files from the Wiz via FTP or (File Commander) copy them to USB, like in this example. Paul was saying the same thing.

Sandy B wrote: With /etc/auto.network, I can not post as it says it cannot find a viewer.

Press TEXT on the file. The HELP button is your friend - you'll see the FC help screen states for the TEXT button assignment 'View or edit file (if size < 1MB)'.

Sandy B wrote: Clicking on MEDIA below gives no result

8192_0_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_20190629065614.jpg

That 'MEDIA' share likely points nowhere given its IP address doesn't appear to match your network. It's also an NFS share. I'm sure you can delete it.

Sandy B wrote: So far I have played a file from the router hdd, both last night and this morning without any "strange problems".

Your next mission is to create a Windows share and mount that on your T4, likely avoiding the need to attach all of those three USB drives :-)

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:25

Thanks for your help Grumpy_Geoff.

I think I will just delete MEDIA.
[/Your next mission is to create a Windows share and mount that on your T4, likely avoiding the need to attach all of those three USB drivesquote]

My next mission according to my other half is to "get a life", and she may be correct in, the short term at least.

Again many thanks.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sun Jun 30, 2019 00:54

I didn't pay much attention to everything said in the thread, but the share name is not hygienic enough.

i.e. bad naming convention.

Try to drop anything from the name that is not just simple alphanumerics. Avoid punctuation and spaces like the plague.

AShareName == good
A Share Name (sd1) == asking for trouble

To start with, fix this naming convention on the server.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Return to “Networking”