HELP! T4 having network issues

Moderators: Gully, peteru

RoscoHead
Apprentice

HELP! T4 having network issues

Post by RoscoHead » Tue Jun 18, 2019 15:31

Hi, I was recently given a T4 from a friend, and all the basics are working fine: watching & recording TV, playing back movies & music. But I wanted it to be able to view online movies, youtube etc. The friend had never tried any of that, and I have not been able to get anything working. Here's a few things I've tried:

HbbTV: selecting SBS or iView Hbb displays "HbbTV plugin" on the LCD display, but just continues the current program on the TV. Pressing Exit on the remote gets me back to the TV program.

Web browser: When I open the Web Browser it shows the top line menu, but if I choose File | Load Start Page I just get a blank browser screen & LCD says "Loading Failed". If I choose File | Open URL I get the dialog where I can enter a URL, but after I type a few characters, the Wiz crashes.

Open Opera HbbTV: Displays "Web browser active" on LCD, current program on TV. Pressing Exit on remote displays toolbat on TV, LCD goes blank. Choosing exit from the toolbar exits.

Start Youtube TV bbrings up initial screen with green start button, when I press green button current program freezes on TV & LCD says "BrowserMain". Pressing Exit on remote exits.

The Wiz shows up on my Windows File Explorer and has a Movies directory. Initially when I click on it, it lists the saved movies on my T4. But after about 30 secs it starts getting errors and I can't access it any more. Telnet never connects, Filezilla initially connects, but then times out waiting for login, and after that won't connect at all.

Even though there seems to be network problems, I haven't had any problems accessing Ice Tv

I tried upgrading to latest firmware 17.5, but no apparent improvements. Anyone wanna hazard a guess what might be wrong here, or if there's a way for me to figure out what's going on?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: HELP! T4 having network issues

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jun 18, 2019 16:07

It does sound like it is hardware related seeing as you have already tried flashing to 17.5.

First thing would be to check for obvious cabling issues. Try a different patch lead (different brand if possible).
Try using a different wall outlet if you are connecting via your house's wiring, and if that's not possible, try moving the T4 to a location nearer your Internet router.

Beyond that, you may be looking at a problem with the T4 itself.
There is one thing that springs to mind. The T4 units suffer from a problem with the heatsink compound that was used on some of its motherboard power regulators. The compound breaks down and can start attacking the motherboard and components.
You may want to open up the T4 and visually inspect the regulators that are close to the T4's tuners. Sometimes you can see evidence of damage or blackening there.
When these things fail, the tuners are usually first to go (or at least the first thing the user notices), but it is possible that other components may be affected.
If those look dodgy, then it may be time to look into getting a repair.
You can do a search of the forums for "T4 regulators" for more information.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Jun 18, 2019 17:48

Is the network connection by ethernet or wireless?
For the crash situation when entering a URL in the web browser, do you get crash logs (use File Commander [MENU>>Sources / Files] to take a gander in /home/root/logs directory)?

Which 17.5-series firmware did you upgrade to - the older 20180417 or the newer 20190207?
Our T4 is on 20190207 firmware. I was able to open the web browser and enter a URL and bring up bom.gov.au successfully.
Youtube TV didn't display video on a few entries I tried (I got audio only), but that's not unusual (the other 'Youtube' plugin worked fine though).

You previously had a T4, did it cark it or does it still work in the same situations as the "gifted T4" doesn't?

RoscoHead
Apprentice

Post by RoscoHead » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:43

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 16:07
It does sound like it is hardware related seeing as you have already tried flashing to 17.5.

First thing would be to check for obvious cabling issues. Try a different patch lead (different brand if possible).
Try using a different wall outlet if you are connecting via your house's wiring, and if that's not possible, try moving the T4 to a location nearer your Internet router.

Beyond that, you may be looking at a problem with the T4 itself.
There is one thing that springs to mind. The T4 units suffer from a problem with the heatsink compound that was used on some of its motherboard power regulators. The compound breaks down and can start attacking the motherboard and components.
You may want to open up the T4 and visually inspect the regulators that are close to the T4's tuners. Sometimes you can see evidence of damage or blackening there.
When these things fail, the tuners are usually first to go (or at least the first thing the user notices), but it is possible that other components may be affected.
If those look dodgy, then it may be time to look into getting a repair.
You can do a search of the forums for "T4 regulators" for more information.
Thanks, I will try your suggestions and (gulp) have a look inside.

RoscoHead
Apprentice

Post by RoscoHead » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:53

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 17:48
Is the network connection by ethernet or wireless?
It's connected by wireless, my router is in a different room so wired connection is difficult.
For the crash situation when entering a URL in the web browser, do you get crash logs (use File Commander [MENU>>Sources / Files] to take a gander in /home/root/logs directory)?
There is an enigma2_execution.log file, with a few lines "enigma terminating with code 3" but the dates are several months old, before I got it.
No other files.
Which 17.5-series firmware did you upgrade to - the older 20180417 or the newer 20190207?
I used 20190207, should I try the earlier one?
You previously had a T4, did it cark it or does it still work in the same situations as the "gifted T4" doesn't?
The old one carked it. May have been fixable, but got offered another so ...

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:10

RoscoHead wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:43
Thanks, I will try your suggestions and (gulp) have a look inside.
Sorry, I'd assumed you had a wired connection for those suggestions.

How are you making your wireless connection? With a USB wireless adaptor, or do you have a wireless network bridge or something like that in between the T4 and your Internet connection?
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

RoscoHead
Apprentice

Post by RoscoHead » Thu Jun 20, 2019 23:21

MrQuade wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:10
How are you making your wireless connection? With a USB wireless adaptor, or do you have a wireless network bridge or something like that in between the T4 and your Internet connection?
USB adapter.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Jun 21, 2019 09:22

RoscoHead wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 23:21
MrQuade wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:10
USB adapter.

Make, model?
Was it previously successfully used on the dead T4? If so, are still using the same wireless router/access point? Changed any settings on it?
Are you giving the T4 a fixed IP address assignment by using a MAC->IP address reservation in the router?
Can you open an OpenWebif session on it from your computer and successfully navigate - http://beyonwizt4/ ?

Return to “Networking”