U4 not seeing Win10 shared directory

Moderators: Gully, peteru

TGG

U4 not seeing Win10 shared directory

Post by TGG » Wed Sep 19, 2018 09:51

Hi,

I recently upgraded from a DP-S1 to a U4 as the poor old S1 networking died a while ago. At the same time I updated my PC to a Win10 laptop.

I can't seem to get the networking working. I did have it working and then it stopped and no matter what I try I can't get it back.

The setup:
Lenovo ThinkPad (called Jupiter, IP address 192.168.0.15) with
- Windows 10 Pro (with latest updates)
- a 4GB Seagate external drive - shared folder called "Stuff".
- ZoneAlarm firewall with Trusted IP address of 192.168.0.17 (IP address of U4)
- ethernet cabled to router Netgear D6300 via a Netgear switch

The U4 is cabled to the same router. A network scan sees the laptop but no directories when it is expanded. I've set up a login on the U4 for the laptop (currently setup as the main login for the laptop). Network test in the U4 is ok. I've rescanned multiple times.

On plugging the external drive into the U4 it is seen ok and stuff can be played back from it.

I've tried sharing other directories on c: drive and they do not appear. I've tried going through every permissions thing I can think of on the directory.

On the laptop I can see the U4 and open the recorded TV directory and playback ok.

Any thoughts on how to get the network share to be seen in the U4?

Cheers,

Paul.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: U4 not seeing Win10 shared directory

Post by MrQuade » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:28

Make sure your laptop thinks that your home network is a "Private" network and not a "Public" network. If the Laptop thinks it is connected to a public network, then most of the file sharing will be disabled for that network adaptor.

Also, you may need to ensure that the folder sharing features are indeed enabled in the "Private" network settings.
"Network and sharing centre->Change advanced sharing settings"

Temporarily disable Zonealarm while you are testing too, just to rule that out. (I don't really rate running a third party firewall on Windows machines but that is personal preference)

You have done the right thing by setting up a user for the U4 on the laptop. I assume that when you select the PC name in the Network Browser, and the U4 asks for the username and password, that you are entering the username at that point? (you can't even list shares without providing credentials on Windows 10).
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:31

Also, when you finally get to the mount settings in the U4, you will need to add an extra mount option in order to connect to a Windows 10 PC.

You need to add "vers=3.0" to the mount options, so it reads something like this "rw,utf8,vers=3.0".
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

TGG

Post by TGG » Sun Sep 30, 2018 08:24

Thanks MrMcQuade, your help on this thread and the other thread was perfect, All working now. Damn Microsoft! Cheers, Paul.

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 07:46

Hi,
TGG wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 08:24
Thanks MrMcQuade, your help on this thread and the other thread was perfect, All working now. Damn Microsoft! Cheers, Paul.

+1 for all that!

I'd finally got around to resurrecting a PC (put in a spare Mobo & 2nd hand CPU). It was zapped by lightning about a year ago, which also did for my wife's T2. :( I couldn't get the drive's folders to show up on my T2. Now working correctly. I now have access to more old recordings I'll probably never watch! :lol:

dRdoS7

Emkay555
On probation

Post by Emkay555 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:13

My T4 had the same problem after my Windows 10 PC recently updated to version 1809, which effectively disabled Workgroups and SMB - the T4 couldn't see the shared folders on the Win 10 PC, after many hours of me trying random solutions.

Now fixed, after the great advice above!

In addition to updating the T4's firmware, I created a dedicated user for the Wiz on the Win 10 PC, but declined Microsoft's urging to create a PIN rather than a password for the new user. I reset Network on the PC then explicitly shared the Win 10 PC media file directories to the new Wiz user, rather than to Everyone. Entered the Wiz username and password in the Wiz mount form, adjusted the options to rw,utf8,vers=3.0 as recommended, and it's working perfectly.

Fantastic - thanks!!!

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Jan 10, 2019 22:25

MrQuade wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:28
Make sure your laptop thinks that your home network is a "Private" network and not a "Public" network. If the Laptop thinks it is connected to a public network, then most of the file sharing will be disabled for that network adaptor.

Thanks for the note.
The damn Windows update that was applied last night changed my PC's network type to public and of course that meant my shares then stopped working. I doubt I would have been able to fix it without this note in the thread, and of course the threads recent activity bringing it to my attention.
Thanks to all participants :)

Return to “Networking”