Network issue U4

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Lazzar54

Network issue U4

Post by Lazzar54 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 16:31

Just setting up my network shares on my U4 and seem to run into a problem with seeing my folders in the Source/files Tab.
I coming from a T3 and all looks the same as my T3 with the set up, the issue is when i go to the network browser i can see my PC but when i click ok it does not expand the host for me to chose my files for the U4 to share with my Pc .
When i look in the source/files tab nothing is showing up.
I thought this was going to be easy, but nothing ever goes to plan always a headache.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Network issue U4

Post by MrQuade » Mon Jan 15, 2018 16:53

You need to have set up a username and password for the shares on your PC. Recent security changes mean that trying to allow for guest access to shares in Windows is now difficult and awkward if-not impossible.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 17:36

MrQuade wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 16:53
You need to have set up a username and password for the shares on your PC. Recent security changes mean that trying to allow for guest access to shares in Windows is now difficult and awkward if-not impossible.
This is absolutely the case, ever since Wannacry. Even with password protected sharing turned off my newest Win 7 PC could not be seen by the T3 or T4 until I created a user account and password for the PC and set these values in the network browser login.

The option that also works is to add a password to the guest account. The network browser will not expand to show windows folders if there is no login password set, even if the user is guest. The network browser and mount manager will require the user account name be guest and the password as you have set it. Google "setting password on guest account" it if you want to go this route - it is possible - I have done it!

One way to do it is as set out here:

1. Log on to the computer with an Administrator account and turn on the guest account.
  2. Click Start->Run->Type cmd and click OK.
  3. Input the following command and press Enter. Net user guest password
  4. Go to Control Panel->User Accounts. Click the Guest account and now you can change the password.
If it doesn't work to set a password immediately, check that you have opened the command window as an administrator - it may fail if you don't.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

bjbaker
Apprentice

Post by bjbaker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 09:16

I sought to set up a connection to a share on my NAS. For that I normally use domain authentication on the PCs (yes, my home LAN is complicated enough to benefit from having a domain server). I could not get this to work on the U4. The share was found and appeared to be mounted, but gave an error when I tried to access it. I think the problem was with the lack of a \ to be able to specify <user>\<domain> in the username field. It didn't work with / instead.

I tried using an existing local username on the NAS. That connected OK. Since it was a username with more access to the NAS shares than the U4 needed I set up a specific local username for the U4 on the NAS. When I changed the Mount details on the U4 accordingly I went back to the failure mode I had when trying to use the Domain username. I reverted to the one that worked, restricted its access a bit more, and deleted the new username.

So there was a bit of futzing about, but I now have the U4 recording to an internal 128GB SSD, with the option of recording to a NAS with 7.3TB free, and I can play any of the 1.15TB of video files I have stored on the NAS.

But I would still like to use domain authentication for consistency, if someone can explain how to format the username correctly.
Regards,
Bruce

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jan 16, 2018 09:27

I don't have a Wiz in front of me to check, but were you using the on screen keyboard to enter your username? You press TEXT to open the keyboard when a text entry field is highlighted. I would have thought that both slashes we present on either the main or symbol keyboard.

bjbaker
Apprentice

Post by bjbaker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 09:41

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 09:27
I don't have a Wiz in front of me to check, but were you using the on screen keyboard to enter your username? You press TEXT to open the keyboard when a text entry field is highlighted. I would have thought that both slashes we present on either the main or symbol keyboard.
Ah. That may be the answer. I was just using the number keys, which lacked the \

The on screen keyboard had it. Tried using that for the Domain username, and I still get the message that the folder doesn't exist.

Reverted to the local NAS username and it is fine again. I guess I'll be sticking with that. But I learned to use the Text key to pull up the on-screen keyboard. I had better add the Text key to my Harmony buttons.
Regards,
Bruce

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 16, 2018 09:58

bjbaker wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 09:41
MrQuade wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 09:27
Ah. That may be the answer. I was just using the number keys, which lacked the \

\ is definitely on the main set of keys in the virtual keyboard screen. It's not available for SMS-style text entry.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:11

bjbaker wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 09:41
Reverted to the local NAS username and it is fine again. I guess I'll be sticking with that. But I learned to use the Text key to pull up the on-screen keyboard. I had better add the Text key to my Harmony buttons.
You will probably need to manually edit the Samba configuration files to do anything more advanced than Workgroup/User authentication.

You need to first set a root password on your U4 via the main menu. You can then telnet/ssh into the Wiz using something like PuTTY.

You can edit the Samba config files in /etc/samba/ to suit your environment.
(I prefer to use the "nano" text editor which is not installed by default. You can install it with

Code: Select all

opkg install nano
if you like)

bjbaker
Apprentice

Post by bjbaker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:52

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:11

You will probably need to manually edit the Samba configuration files to do anything more advanced than Workgroup/User authentication.
That's where I'll leave it alone. I'm an ancient OpenVMS administrator (with an old MSCE Win2K along the way). I was going to pick up Linux as well, but then someone tried to bully me into it. That permanently poisoned that path. So, while I will use Unix variants, I hope to reach retirement without learning much more about administering them.

The current setup works fine as is. So I'll just stick to refining the programming of my Harmony 1100i.

One more question has occurred to me. When I was mucking about with mounting the share it went through a few name changes on the U4. Now there is only one share mounted, but when I call up the media list and use the Yellow Location button, the list presented includes two old names for the share. How do they get cleaned out of the Locations list? Is that going to happen automatically at some point, or do I have to take some specific action? This is not a big issue. Just a matter of tidying up.
Regards,
Bruce

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:06

bjbaker wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:52
... How do they get cleaned out of the Locations list? ...

Manually. They're kept because they may point at a USB drive or a share that's not there now, but may well come back sometime in the future. They're probably also kept because it was easier. ;)
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:07

bjbaker wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:52
How do they get cleaned out of the Locations list? Is that going to happen automatically at some point, or do I have to take some specific action? This is not a big issue. Just a matter of tidying up.
The locations list picks up entries from a variety of sources, including mount points, drives, DLNA locations, bookmarks and recently used locations.
I am guessing that the dud entries are from the "recently used" category.
If a reboot doesn't clear them out, they should eventually dissappear on their own after some time.

However, if you are already going to the effort of setting up a domain on your home network (You must be managing a lot of users??), then the little bit of extra effort to have the Wiz properly join the domain should be a minor effort. I've thought about setting up a domain myself, and while I have more than 50 networked devices on my home network, I only have the three users, so the extra headache was not too appealing to me ;).

bjbaker
Apprentice

Post by bjbaker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:58

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:07
However, if you are already going to the effort of setting up a domain on your home network (You must be managing a lot of users??)
I mentioned the Win2K MCSE. That required having a couple of PCs to set up as domain controllers during the training. Subsequently I retained only one set up as a domain controller. That provides my DNS, DHCP and inbound VPN services. Up until 5 years ago there was just the one user, but I had a lot of computers, with cross mounted shares. So I could pretty much get at anything I need from anywhere. That's trivial with domain authentication. The domain controller has been upgraded and replatformed along the way. So now it is running W2K8 Server on a home built PC (AMD FX-8150 8core 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, ASUS Sabertooth MB). I also RDP to that system to run a couple of VirtualBox VMs for work. This machine also records various webcams to my NAS.

My primary system, in my office (aka the lounge room), is another home built PC (AMD FX-8370 8core 4.01GHz, 32GB RAM, ASUS Sabertooth R3.0 MB). I run Windows 10 Pro on that. From there, using my 30" 2560x1600 monitor, and my 55" HD Samsung as a secondary monitor (with 3 USB attached 7" 800x480 displays for stuff I want to keep an eye on without being occluded), I use RDP to connect to other Windows computers & Windows VMs on Virtualbox, and Xwindows to talk to the OpenVMS servers (when I have those powered up). All from my comfy recliner.

A quick count has my number of computers down from its peak. Counting desktops, notebooks, and servers (Windows and OpenVMS) there are currently 12 that I can think of. Adding other stuff, there are currently 38 static devices listed in my DNS. Then there's all the stuff that uses DHCP.

Adding a NAS (QNAP TS-851 with 8x 3TB drives in RAID6) a few years ago greatly reduced the need for cross mounted shares between the various PCs. Most stuff now lives on the NAS, and that which doesn't is backed up to the NAS automatically. There is one share on the NAS, for irreplaceable stuff (like photos, important documents, etc), that gets backed up monthly, in rotation, to pair of 128GB MicroSDs that live in my wallet. I gave up backing up to SDLT cartridges that were stored offsite when Windows no longer contained native support for backup to tape drives.

In my defense, I don't own a fishing boat. I could have spent as much on that, used it every second weekend to catch very expensive fish, and STILL needed to have computers.
Regards,
Bruce

10pinto
Apprentice

Post by 10pinto » Sat May 23, 2020 12:04

Sorry to bump this thread up again.
I have just built a new PC and going over all the network setting again to be able to share files on my U4
I have mounted the folder from my pc on the u4 and I can see it but when I open there is nothing in the folder, I am sure II am just a setting out somewhere to fix this. I am at a loss on how to get this working.
So all suggestion greatly appreciated.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat May 23, 2020 13:00

10pinto wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:04
Sorry to bump this thread up again.
I have just built a new PC and going over all the network setting again to be able to share files on my U4
I have mounted the folder from my pc on the u4 and I can see it but when I open there is nothing in the folder, I am sure II am just a setting out somewhere to fix this. I am at a loss on how to get this working.
So all suggestion greatly appreciated.
Are you "Tig" on Whirlpool?
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/ ... =-1#bottom

10pinto
Apprentice

Post by 10pinto » Sat May 23, 2020 13:10

yes, I am getting desperate for help
Man is this doing my head in, so many youtube videos on sharing and windows 10
The mount is there but it does not show up as green, just red.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat May 23, 2020 13:22

10pinto wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 13:10
yes, I am getting desperate for help
Man is this doing my head in, so many youtube videos on sharing and windows 10
The mount is there but it does not show up as green, just red.
So it sounds like the windows side should be ok as you can see the share.

The windows share is configured for a particular user or "everyone"?

And the mount configuration on your U4 includes the "vers=2.1" under "mount options"?

10pinto
Apprentice

Post by 10pinto » Sat May 23, 2020 13:31

Yes mount configuration on my U4 includes the "vers=2.1" under "mount options"?
My TV & Movies folder has been set to everyone , read and write

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat May 23, 2020 14:01

10pinto wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 13:31
Yes mount configuration on my U4 includes the "vers=2.1" under "mount options"?
My TV & Movies folder has been set to everyone , read and write
When I had similar troubles with Win10 it was because it wanted a username and password. I created a "Bwiz" account on Win10 with a short password which cured it. Seem to recall having to reboot everything too.

Supposedly not necessary but it works for me.

Add the login details to the mount!
Denon AVR -X2400H

10pinto
Apprentice

Post by 10pinto » Sat May 23, 2020 14:28

I just reset the my windows password, I now log into the mount with Computer name and password and the mount now shows up in green, but still nothing in folder?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat May 23, 2020 14:54

10pinto wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 14:28
I just reset the my windows password, I now log into the mount with Computer name and password and the mount now shows up in green, but still nothing in folder?
You don't use the computer name for the login, you use the username that you log in as.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat May 23, 2020 15:00

10pinto wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 14:28
Progress at least. I too use Everyone, read, write permissions so they should be ok.

As MrQuade points out, the username is an actual user. It was a bit tedious to create as it is not linked to a Microsoft account.

As I mentioned earlier, I vaguely recall it coming good after rebooting the PC, router and Wiz. SWMBO is watching TV so I can't check right now.

There are some rather esoteric settings for windows that could be involved but not in my experience.
Denon AVR -X2400H

10pinto
Apprentice

Post by 10pinto » Sat May 23, 2020 16:58

As MrQuade points out, the username is an actual user. It was a bit tedious to create as it is not linked to a Microsoft account.
I renamed my computer to my given name, and changed my Microsoft password. This is what I put into the U4 and it mounted my folder and made it green but when I open the folder nothing comes up.
Checked my old computer and it has a username called user then my password, so need try and use user as username or need another account called "user"
As far as I can tell my Pc is visible on the U4 so windows is doing the right thing, so must be a username and password issue on the U4 ?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat May 23, 2020 17:09

As long as the U4 mount configuration is configured to use that username and password, and the username has permissions to use that share on the windows PC, then that should be it. There is no other place in the U4 that needs to be aware of that username.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat May 23, 2020 17:32

MrQuade wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 17:09
As long as the U4 mount configuration is configured to use that username and password, and the username has permissions to use that share on the windows PC, then that should be it. There is no other place in the U4 that needs to be aware of that username.
So long as it's a valid username it should work.

On Windows 10 you can try turning off password protected sharing and enabling SMB version 1.0. On the Wiz delete ",vers=2.1" from the mount option. Less secure but should work.
Denon AVR -X2400H

10pinto
Apprentice

Post by 10pinto » Sat May 23, 2020 17:59

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 17:32
MrQuade wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 17:09
So long as it's a valid username it should work.

On Windows 10 you can try turning off password protected sharing and enabling SMB version 1.0. On the Wiz delete ",vers=2.1" from the mount option. Less secure but should work.
Turn off password protect then hit the save button, when I go back in it is on again. It appears windows will not let me turn it off ?
Enabling SMB version 1.0, I checked and it is already enabled.
On the Wiz delete ",vers=2.1" from the mount , not sure how you do this, I entered it via the text and tired to edit by deleting the text but when I went out of the mount it was still there.
Nothing wants to work for me today.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat May 23, 2020 20:09

10pinto wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 17:59

Turn off password protect then hit the save button, when I go back in it is on again. It appears windows will not let me turn it off ?
Enabling SMB version 1.0, I checked and it is already enabled.
On the Wiz delete ",vers=2.1" from the mount , not sure how you do this, I entered it via the text and tired to edit by deleting the text but when I went out of the mount it was still there.
Nothing wants to work for me today.
Can't help with Windows but, to edit the mount options, navigate to the line, press right arrow a few times to get to the comma then use NEXT to delete. Now, press GREEN, answer Yes to the popup and WAIT for it to complete.
Denon AVR -X2400H

10pinto
Apprentice

Post by 10pinto » Sat May 23, 2020 21:30

I think I am done with this, I have spent all day looking at how to fix. Tried everything and I am sure there is just one box that needs to be checked or unchecked.
Might start researching other media players, my trouble is that I can't just give up on solving this.
I think this issue has beaten me. :?
Last edited by 10pinto on Sat May 23, 2020 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat May 23, 2020 21:31

Yes, the most important thing is to never press EXIT after the mount face completes, as that will info your change.

It's stupid, but that's just how the code works.

10pinto
Apprentice

Post by 10pinto » Sat May 23, 2020 21:45

MrQuade wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 21:31
Yes, the most important thing is to never press EXIT after the mount face completes, as that will info your change.

It's stupid, but that's just how the code works.
I made sure I let the mount countdown and finish too.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat May 23, 2020 21:49

10pinto wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 21:30

Have a look at file /etc/auto.network - you can use File Commander if you don't have telnet access. Does it match your expectations?
It should match to /etc/enigma2/automounts.xml but sometimes it doesn't it you phaff around too much (like exiting the mount process, or make non-trivial changes without rebooting in-between).

10pinto
Apprentice

Post by 10pinto » Sat May 23, 2020 22:01

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 21:49
10pinto wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 21:30

Have a look at file /etc/auto.network - you can use File Commander if you don't have telnet access. Does it match your expectations?
It should match to /etc/enigma2/automounts.xml but sometimes it doesn't it you phaff around too much (like exiting the mount process, or make non-trivial changes without rebooting in-between).
Just what i need just before i go to bed Lol, will try and get my around this tomorrow.
It has been a long day of getting nowhere :!: :cry:

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun May 24, 2020 01:13

I suspect that your problem is simply because win10 is EXTREMELY fussy about passwords now. Having a guest account password can prevent you turning off password protected sharing. See part 3 of this link to turn off password protected sharing or this link.

In my case, I have password protected sharing on. My shared folder has "everyone, read, write permissions" set.

I created a user by going to user accounts, selecting change account type and clicking on the link to "Add a new user in PC settings". However, to create a Windows user without an email or phone number you have to click on the "I don't have..." link and then the "Create user without..." options. Once you do this, it allows you to create a user account and set a password, which work when added to the network mount on the wiz.

I actually use ",vers=3.0" myself but that is hangover from some experimenting. Working now, as I write.

PS We assume your network share type in the mount is showing as CIFS, which is essential here.
Denon AVR -X2400H

10pinto
Apprentice

Post by 10pinto » Sun May 24, 2020 09:49

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 01:13
I suspect that your problem is simply because win10 is EXTREMELY fussy about passwords now. Having a guest account password can prevent you turning off password protected sharing. See part 3 of this link to turn off password protected sharing or this link.

In my case, I have password protected sharing on. My shared folder has "everyone, read, write permissions" set.

I created a user by going to user accounts, selecting change account type and clicking on the link to "Add a new user in PC settings". However, to create a Windows user without an email or phone number you have to click on the "I don't have..." link and then the "Create user without..." options. Once you do this, it allows you to create a user account and set a password, which work when added to the network mount on the wiz.

I actually use ",vers=3.0" myself but that is hangover from some experimenting. Working now, as I write.

PS We assume your network share type in the mount is showing as CIFS, which is essential here.
OK thanks for your early morning reply, did step 3 from the link and now I can turn on and off password sharing.
My U4 seems to have developed a new problem, not related to step 3. It will not let me expand the host, thing seems to be going backwards for me, one step forward two step back. Might re-flash the U4 and set up again and see if that helps.
Yes it was showing CIFS
Will try setting up another user account sometime today when I get the wiz sorted.
Last edited by 10pinto on Sun May 24, 2020 10:13, edited 2 times in total.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun May 24, 2020 10:00

10pinto wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 09:49
Might re-flash the U4 and set up again and see if that helps.

I'd try deleting the mounts and rebooting first, to clear out any dross, before re-flashing and setting up from scratch.

10pinto
Apprentice

Post by 10pinto » Sun May 24, 2020 10:13

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:00
10pinto wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 09:49
Might re-flash the U4 and set up again and see if that helps.

I'd try deleting the mounts and rebooting first, to clear out any dross, before re-flashing and setting up from scratch.
Update have re done this wiz and now I can expand the host, but it will not mount after I put username and password in ?
No mounts in the system now after I re set everything
Ok back to where I was, the mount is there and is in green, so username and password must be correct. But still can not see what is inside my folder.
I have tried sharing password on and off.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun May 24, 2020 11:05

10pinto wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:13
Ok back to where I was, the mount is there and is in green, so username and password must be correct. But still can not see what is inside my folder.

Are the share and folder permissions the same?

10pinto
Apprentice

Post by 10pinto » Sun May 24, 2020 11:18

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:05
10pinto wrote:

Yes set to everyone with read and write permission

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun May 24, 2020 11:38

10pinto wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:18
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:05
10pinto wrote:

Yes set to everyone with read and write permission

For my Windows sharing, properties of the WIN10 share has the Security tab showing the 'Everyone' user has 'Allow' set for 'Read & execute', 'List folder contents', 'Read' permissions.
The same goes for a folder under that share.
Do you have the 'List folder contents' permisson?

My snippet of that definition on the Wiz -

Code: Select all

root@beyonwizu4:~# grep WizShare_I5 /etc/auto.network
WizShare_I5 -fstype=cifs,user={WizUserName},pass={WizUserPwd},rw,iocharset=utf8,vers=3.0,cache=loose ://192.168.1.50/Wiz-Share
root@beyonwizu4:~#

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sun May 24, 2020 12:02

Paul_oz53 wrote:

Just to add to that, and it is some time since I last set up network mounts on a U4, unless things have changed with Win10 then the Win10 account you use for network mount on the Wiz must be a *non-administrative* local account. An administrator account just will not work. As MrQuade once said, probably a Microsoft contribution to not shooting yourself in the foot. Thanks Microsoft!
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

10pinto
Apprentice

Post by 10pinto » Sun May 24, 2020 13:16

OK I have changed my account from administrator to standard, rescanned the Wiz and mounted new folder with username and password and still can not access the folder.
I am going to cry soon, it must be still be a windows problem
So let me get this right I have used the name I set up Pc with as username , which is my full name and then used the password I log into my PC
Should change the username to just "user" ?

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun May 24, 2020 13:25

raymondjpg wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:02
Paul_oz53 wrote:

Just to add to that, and it is some time since I last set up network mounts on a U4, unless things have changed with Win10 then the Win10 account you use for network mount on the Wiz must be a *non-administrative* local account. An administrator account just will not work. As MrQuade once said, probably a Microsoft contribution to not shooting yourself in the foot. Thanks Microsoft!

Yep, mine is a local account too. My mount definition mirrors that of Grumpy_Geoff. I would also reboot the PC, router and U4 in these trying circumstances.

I think you are using the wrong username and password. Create something completely different and use that.
Denon AVR -X2400H

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun May 24, 2020 13:33

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 13:25
I think you are using the wrong username and password. Create something completely different and use that.

+ 1,000,000

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sun May 24, 2020 13:53

10pinto wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 13:16
OK I have changed my account from administrator to standard, rescanned the Wiz and mounted new folder with username and password and still can not access the folder.
I am going to cry soon, it must be still be a windows problem
So let me get this right I have used the name I set up Pc with as username , which is my full name and then used the password I log into my PC
Should change the username to just "user" ?

To be clear, it is the Win10 user account that you use for network mount on the Wiz that has to be non-administrative, not the account that you would normally use when logging on to Windows.

So for example if you log on as Dave which is an administrator account , then set up a non-administrator local account, say WIZ with password (whatever) (all case sensitive) and use that for the network mount on the Wiz (again all case sensitive).

I have Everyone with both read and write access on all my shares and password protection set to on in advanced sharing settings. File and printer sharing on of course.

This combination works for me, but I long ago gave up trying to work out the reason why. For example, write access may not be necessary for Everyone on the Win10 shares. I never tried it. Also, I suspect that username and password has to be case sensitive, I never tried otherwise.

N.B. You don't need to log on to the non-administrative local account in Win10 for this to work. Just log on as Dave with the administrator account as you would normally. It is quite possible that all the share permissions would be thrown into disarray if you logged on as WIZ.

N.B.2 I just checked my share permissions, and found that Everyone has only Read access on my shares. I must have changed it at some point.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

10pinto
Apprentice

Post by 10pinto » Sun May 24, 2020 15:15

My computer is showing up as two accounts, one is administrator and the other is a user account with my name. I am trying to use the user account by using "user" as the username and then the password I use on my Pc.
I remember two years ago I had the same issue with setting up my new U4, I think I am on the right track just have to persevere and it will be fixed eventually.
My old PC is still working and when that was set up it had a username of "user" and my pc password so it should be the same on the u4 hopefully.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun May 24, 2020 15:23

10pinto wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 15:15
My computer is showing up as two accounts, one is administrator and the other is a user account with my name. I am trying to use the user account by using "user" as the username and then the password I use on my Pc.
Don't worry about changing the username of your login account. Make an account that noone will ever log in with.

You will have an Administrator account. Windows always has that.
You should have your user account called 10pinto, or whatever you want to log in as normally.
Both of these should be able to access Administrative privilege levels.

You *should* then create a third account, and you can call it "Wiz", "Share" or "Media" or something like that. Give it a password of your choice, but set it up as a user, not an administrator.

Make sure your share is set to allow "everyone" to access it.

Then when you create the mount in the U4, you tell it to use the "Wiz" username and password.

That should be all you need to do.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun May 24, 2020 15:57

MrQuade wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 15:23
10pinto wrote:
Don't worry about changing the username of your login account. Make an account that noone will ever log in with.

You will have an Administrator account. Windows always has that.
You should have your user account called 10pinto, or whatever you want to log in as normally.
Both of these should be able to access Administrative privilege levels.

You *should* then create a third account, and you can call it "Wiz", "Share" or "Media" or something like that. Give it a password of your choice, but set it up as a user, not an administrator.

Make sure your share is set to allow "everyone" to access it.

Then when you create the mount in the U4, you tell it to use the "Wiz" username and password.

That should be all you need to do.

Agree completely.

The accounts10pinto keeps referring to seem to be the problem. I use a dedicated local account and it just works.
Denon AVR -X2400H

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sun May 24, 2020 15:58

10pinto wrote:
I remember two years ago I had the same issue with setting up my new U4, I think I am on the right track just have to persevere and it will be fixed eventually.
My old PC is still working and when that was set up it had a username of "user" and my pc password so it should be the same on the u4 hopefully.

All this is quite complicated. If you have an account "Administrator" that would have had to be enabled deliberately as it is not enabled by default in Win10. No matter, if your normal login is a user account with your name, and that is an administrator account, then what I am suggesting is that be left as an administrator account and a *new* local non-administrator account be set up for Wiz access.

My guess is that your file sharing and advanced sharing settings were set up using your user account with your name as an administrator account, and that changing that account to a non-administrator account may well change those permissions. On the other hand, you may have set these up with your user account with your name as a *non-administrator account* in which case you should continue logging in with your user account with your name as a *non-administrator account*. I don't even know if file and network sharing permissions can be set this way from a *non-administrator account*, I've never done it, but I can see that it might be possible.

If logging on to Win10 routinely with an administrator account does not concern you security-wise (some folk regard that as an unacceptable risk) then I suggest that you set up permissions as I outlined in the first paragraph. Otherwise then as outlined in the second paragraph. Alternatively set up permissions when logged on as an administrator, then log on as a non-administrative user, and then re-check file and network sharing permissions.

The next complication is that, from what you say, you may already have login credentials associated with your old PC in the U4. You can check this, and clear or (from my recollection) even edit those credentials in the Wiz by going to Setup|Network|Mount manager|User management. If you had shares mounted from a previous PC, visible under Setup|Network|Mount manager|Mountpoints management, then if the login credentials need to be changed it would probably be best of these mounts were deleted and you start afresh. As others have pointed out Win10 is another kettle of fish as far as security is concerned.

10pinto
Apprentice

Post by 10pinto » Sun May 24, 2020 17:56

OK it has been a big afternoon, I decided to reinstall my windows 10 pro there were to many issues so I wanted to start from scratch.
So glad I did this, I am starting to have success :D The only issue I have is that when I scan it picks up 'user' and mounts with new username and password and actually works I just have to navigate through a lot of folders to find my media folder.
Normally it should come up with the folder I created to share Media folder then I mount that and not the user folder.
So I am sure it is now just a setting out somewhere , but I am getting closer.

10pinto
Apprentice

Post by 10pinto » Sun May 24, 2020 19:07

Ignore all above, I have had success all up and running.
Best thing I did was to start all over again, boy was it a marathon.
I have learnt a lot about windows along the way so not all lost.
Thanks to all in here for the help along the way

CASE CLOSED

Return to “Networking”