Deleting files on the network?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

SomebodyElse
Guru

Deleting files on the network?

Post by SomebodyElse » Wed Feb 03, 2016 08:15

I am connecting the T2 to a Win7 storage box with a samba share. The folder share permissions allow Full Control for Everyone. Other devices can delete files but the T2 does not. I hit the red button and I am prompted that the file can't be stored in Trash, I say yes, it disappears from the directory listing as if it has been deleted. But it is still there!

Is this a known issue? I couldn't find anything in the forums that described this problem. All suggestions gratefully received, thanks.

dRdoS7
Wizard

Re: Deleting files on the network?

Post by dRdoS7 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 08:38

Hi,

Do you have a User & PW on the T2 for the W7 share or is it "Anonymous"?

I would have posted under "Networking".

dRdoS7

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Feb 03, 2016 08:42

I would have thought that the T2 should be trying to delete the file outright, not move it to the trash?

How do you link to the Samba share? Have you created symbolic links in the recordings folder by any chance?
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Feb 03, 2016 09:57

SomebodyElse wrote:I am connecting the T2 to a Win7 storage box with a samba share. The folder share permissions allow Full Control for Everyone. Other devices can delete files but the T2 does not. I hit the red button and I am prompted that the file can't be stored in Trash, I say yes, it disappears from the directory listing as if it has been deleted. But it is still there ...
It would be helpful if you could give the full messages for the popups. There are a lot of similar error messages in the code for the media list.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Feb 03, 2016 09:58

MrQuade wrote:I would have thought that the T2 should be trying to delete the file outright, not move it to the trash? ...
That's not what the code thinks ;)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

SomebodyElse
Guru

Post by SomebodyElse » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:42

Yes, I am a bit out of practice, should've been in Networking, sorry.

I am accessing via a Win7 login, it has full rights. I used to use the same login when running Windows Media Center, so I presume the server side is working OK.

I watch a show, after completion hit the red delete button. The pop-up box displays the full path to the file, and then says:

Can not move to trash
Do you really want to delete mediafile.mp4?
Yes
No

I select Yes and hit OK, the file then disappears from the directory listing, as if the delete was successful. I go up one level in the directory structure, come back down again and the file reappears in the list.

EDIT: Just checked on the Windows box and it is showing the user correctly connected with the assigned userID via net sessions.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:54

As far as I can tell, that means that the T2 doesn't have permissions to create the trash folder or delete the file on the server.

Deletion of large files is done offline, but the list entry is removed immediately. If the file is not deleted, or if you leave and come back to the folder very quickly, the file may still be there and get listed again. If the file continues to appear in the list, then it hasn't been deleted.

All this sounds like a permissions issue. Remember that the user the T2 is authenticating as must have the required permissions on both the share point and the file/folder being acted on.

I'll move the discussion to Networking.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

SomebodyElse
Guru

Post by SomebodyElse » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:01

prl wrote:All this sounds like a permissions issue. Remember that the user the T2 is authenticating as must have the required permissions on both the share point and the file/folder being acted on.
Thanks Peter, that was the answer! I am baffled as to how the Media Center PC was able to delete fine but the Wiz couldn't. Maybe something different about the way Windows clients access I suppose. Anyway, you were bang on with that, the user had full permissions at the directory level, but not on the share itself. Added it to the share and I can delete at will.

Thanks again, all good now!
I'll move the discussion to Networking.
Thanks

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:27

No problem. It's something that catches people out fairly often, one way round or the other.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Networking”