Settings backup

Moderators: Gully, peteru

HobbsAu
Apprentice

Settings backup

Post by HobbsAu » Fri May 09, 2014 21:43

Good day, folks,

I see there is new firmware out (as of 5th May) and the recommended process is to do a backup of settings before upgrading. The thing is, when I try this I get a message saying that the file in /etc/somethingorother could not be opened. Has anyone else seen this problem and managed to cure it so that a backup could be taken?

Next question, how does one restore settings after upgrading? Undo the .tar and install like that or does the restore function expect a .tar file to restore from?

Last question for this one - promise! - anyone put in the latest May 5th firmware update? Any problems? More stable?

Some info in return...

I have found in other threads some people having problems with the remote seeming to lose direction functionality from time to time. I, too, have experienced this on more than a few occasions. I have found that hitting the Exit button repeatedly until back out of the menu plus three or four times after that can often bring the functionality back. I have tried rebooting the gui, too, but this does sort of rely on being able to use the direction keys in the first place, so not sure how effective that is.

I am wondering if there is a CPU loop going on somewhere and the key presses may be getting buffered up; when the CPU draws breath it tries to perform all the buffered presses, ends up somewhere weird in the menus and the freeze occurs because of this, perhaps?

It is spurious, though, and I am not sure exactly what causes it; I have had it happen after adding a few channels to a bouquet, so repetitive key presses. Then, for no reason, the arrow keys stop working; I have to exit out a few times (of the menu) then hit exit a couple more times, perhaps change channel, go back to adding channels again and it all works ok again. Hopefully someone can manage to reproduce something like the problem using this information or add their findings...

Anyway, if anyone can help with the backups I'd be grateful.

Cheers.
Pan TX-37, BW DP-P2, Toppy 7160 & great sound.....

peteru
Uber Wizard

Re: Settings backup

Post by peteru » Fri May 09, 2014 22:31

1. Make sure your internal HDD is formatted properly.
2. If you backed up your settings properly to the internal HDD, you will be given the option to restore the settings as the first thing you will see after a firmware upgrade.
3. You need to update to 20140505 or later, otherwise you will have the MENU/OK button issues.
4. Once the T3 stops responding to some remote keys, you don't need to do anything else except wait 60 seconds. After that it'll start working again. But, you are better off just upgrading your firmware.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

HobbsAu
Apprentice

Re: Settings backup

Post by HobbsAu » Sat May 10, 2014 23:05

Thanks, Peter,

In the event, my T3 decided to go into the reboot loop this morning before I managed to check on the viability of the backup I had, so I had to upgrade the software anyway. When it finished I did a switch off and back on and you are right, it did ask if I wanted to restore the settings. I opted for Yes, without really knowing what state it was backed up in, but it does all seem ok. I think there may have been a couple of timers that it did not restore, but they were easily put back in (and at least I did not have to go through the favourites / bouquet set-up once more).

As it happens, I took a sort of back up last night of my latest settings: I used ftp to copy the settings folder across to my laptop. Had the restore not been good enough, I guess I could have pushed the copy back and rebooted. I tend to like belt and braces ;-)

Thanks for your comments, helpful as always.

Cheers.
Pan TX-37, BW DP-P2, Toppy 7160 & great sound.....

Return to “FAQs, Tips & How to Guides”