T2 upgrade to V2

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Videonut
Master

T2 upgrade to V2

Post by Videonut » Tue Oct 27, 2020 13:53

I still have my T2 but am trying to decide if I should upgrade to a V2 which appears to be the only model on offer.

Is the software,menu's setup, remote control layout etc either exactly the same or very similar on both models?
Beyonwiz V2,TCL TV, Chromecast with Google TV, Samsung Blu-ray player, Harmony Remote,650.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: T2 upgrade to V2

Post by MrQuade » Tue Oct 27, 2020 14:04

The remote is different, but the user interface is identical.

You can check out the look of the V2 remote on the Beyonwiz store page. The buttons are all the same (for all intents and purposes), just a different layout.

Check out prl's model comparison table/post to check all the hardware differences (V2 only supports external harddisks, etc).
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Confused
Master

Post by Confused » Thu Oct 29, 2020 17:22

You said that this model only supports External HDD. I take this to mean that you can just plug in say a Western Digital Portable Passport, or similar drive, that will just sit next to or behind the V2 itself. Am I correct?
Thanks In advance
T2,Topfield 7160,Harmony 650 Remote,TCL TV Model 70P10US,Chromecast

Bodogbodog
Apprentice

Post by Bodogbodog » Thu Oct 29, 2020 18:05

Confused wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 17:22
I take this to mean that you can just plug in say a Western Digital Portable Passport, or similar drive, that will just sit next to or behind the V2 itself. Am I correct?
Yes that is correct
You just need a spare USB port on the V2 - or on a USB hub attached to it
Beyonwiz V2 Quad Tuner recording to unRAID OS NAS 16Tb NAS
Beyonwiz V2 Dual Tuner (warm standby)
Samsung Q65 OLED TV
Yamaha YSP2700 Sound Bar
Harmony 650 Remote Control

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Oct 29, 2020 18:26

Confused wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 17:22
Am I correct?
Yep.
You can also add a MicroSD card to act as a harddisk, but space will be limited by budget :).
You can record directly to a network drive too if you are adventurous.

Comparison guide is here btw.

Videonut
Master

Re: and was going through the hundreds of options these machines seem to entail and then out of Nova it seems the machin

Post by Videonut » Wed Nov 04, 2020 18:06

Since I wasn't getting anywhere with the problem of picture break up my wife suggested that I buy another machine and use the T2 as a backup.

Well I had a new V2 arrived today and I have been setting it up.

I must have been confused when I ordered the machine because I hadn't realized they were going to send me another passport drive and I already had a couple of surplus ones I've also got this blue USB thing that I'm not sure what it's for. I have been slowly going through all of the hundreds of settings that these machines have and suddenly I got the Wizos spiky wheel. I just set up my favorites set up correctly when it popped up.

I was just set up my favorites and was doing some more settings when the machine said it needed to reboot turn I got the Wizos saying it had to reboot but after about 5 minutes nothing else happened so I turned it off and on again and it went around the same thing again. This looks like the machine needs to be 100% reset if that's possible?

I know that my old T2 has some programs and movies on it that definitely should play ok and I was wondering if there is some way that I can transfer them either directly to a V2 or by using my PC

Maybe turning 80 it too old to be doing this.
Beyonwiz V2,TCL TV, Chromecast with Google TV, Samsung Blu-ray player, Harmony Remote,650.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: and was going through the hundreds of options these machines seem to entail and then out of Nova it seems the machin

Post by MrQuade » Wed Nov 04, 2020 18:27

Videonut wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 18:06
I must have been confused when I ordered the machine because I hadn't realized they were going to send me another passport drive and I already had a couple of surplus ones I've also got this blue USB thing that I'm not sure what it's for. I have been slowly going through all of the hundreds of settings that these machines have and suddenly I got the Wizos spiky wheel. I just set up my favorites set up correctly when it popped up.
If you ordered the V2 with harddisk, then this is what the passport drive is. The V2 doesn't have an internal drive.

The Blue thingy is likely a USB tuner. If you ordered an extra tuner to make the V2 a triple tuner model, then that's your third tuner :).
Videonut wrote:
I was just set up my favorites and was doing some more settings when the machine said it needed to reboot turn I got the Wizos saying it had to reboot but after about 5 minutes nothing else happened so I turned it off and on again and it went around the same thing again. This looks like the machine needs to be 100% reset if that's possible?
Was the message something along the lines of "reboot to make this change take effect", or was it a crash and involuntary reboot?

If the Wiz is stuck on the WizOS screen, then it sounds like something is buggered up. Make sure you unplug all USB devices, and try rebooting again. If that doesn't get you to the GUI, then you will need to re-install firmware from scratch.

No idea what would have gone wrong though...I haven't had a V2 do that to me before.
Videonut wrote:
I know that my old T2 has some programs and movies on it that definitely should play ok and I was wondering if there is some way that I can transfer them either directly to a V2 or by using my PC
Plug the V2's USB drive into the T2, then you can copy recordings across using the T2's file manager.

Make sure you have formatted the V2's harddisk using the V2 first though.

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:11

I do have the HDD formatted and no longer have the spiky wheel.

I think that I have been through all of the options but who knows because things sometimes options are in help or text screens.

Somethings I can't find.

I turned on EPG with PIP but can't see where to turn it off.

I can't see where to set up EPG layout like it was in the T2. For instance setting like number of lines across and down,font size & time period which I assume might still be there.

The blue thingy is USB2. It says DVB-T+FM+DAB 802T & SDR

I notice that machine is marked as being 4K. as far as I know no station broadcasts on 4K or will do so in near future. What codec is being used?

I have a Netflix account that is supposed to be in 4K but I have have never seen any program that looks 4K,in fact most aren't even as good as free to air, and our TV is 4K.
Attachments
IMG20201105095532.jpg

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:41

Videonut wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:11
Somethings I can't find.

I turned on EPG with PIP but can't see where to turn it off.

"EPG with PIP" or do you mean EPG with PiG (Picture in Graphics)?
If the latter, press the HELP button when in the EPG - look for the text "Toggle picture in graphics".
The shortcut button to toggle is Long-TV, or when in the EPG toggling via the settings is MENU>>Picture in graphics.
Videonut wrote: I can't see where to set up EPG layout like it was in the T2. For instance setting like number of lines across and down,font size & time period which I assume might still be there.

They are. When in the EPG, press MENU.
Videonut wrote: The blue thingy is USB2. It says DVB-T+FM+DAB 802T & SDR

Yes, USB tuner.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Nov 05, 2020 13:10

Videonut wrote:
I notice that machine is marked as being 4K. as far as I know no station broadcasts on 4K or will do so in near future. What codec is being used?
No FTA TV is broadcast in 4K in Aus.

The 4K capability refers to the fact it can output 4K over HDMI, and it can also play 4K downloaded media files. The V2 can play HEVC encoded media, though some of the higher profile variants of HEVC and AVC are not supported.
Videonut wrote:
I have a Netflix account that is supposed to be in 4K but I have have never seen any program that looks 4K,in fact most aren't even as good as free to air, and our TV is 4K.
It all depends on how the media was encoded, and the quality of your Internet connection. Netflix will automatically adjust the quality down if you don't have enough bandwidth. Even then, 4K Netflix generally won't look as good as a 4K bluray disk (or rip). If I recall correctly though, your Internet connection was plenty quick enough.

Their A-list shows like Star Trek Discovery will look about as good as you'll get.

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Thu Nov 05, 2020 13:45

As for the blue USB 2 tuner I thought that these were all capable of recording 2 programs each. As it is there isn't enough ports to plug in more USB devices,unless some sort of switch or splitter were added.

I plugged it in to the V2 but nothing happened. I also tried plugging it into my PC all that happened was audio sound recognition but no other windows opened,but Windows often gets it wrong. Should this device have software as well?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Nov 05, 2020 14:00

Videonut wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 13:45
As for the blue USB 2 tuner I thought that these were all capable of recording 2 programs each. As it is there isn't enough ports to plug in more USB devices,unless some sort of switch or splitter were added.

The (single) USB tuner adds the ability to tune to/record from 3 different broadcasters concurrently - making your V2 a triple-tuner unit.
The V2 has 2 USB ports. You're using one for the HDD, what are you using the other for? You may need a USB hub if the other USB port is already in use.
Videonut wrote: I plugged it in to the V2 but nothing happened. I also tried plugging it into my PC all that happened was audio sound recognition but no other windows opened,but Windows often gets it wrong. Should this device have software as well?

You need to reboot the V2 with the USB tuner already attached - it's not hot-swappable.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Nov 05, 2020 14:30

Videonut wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 13:45

That blue tuner is a single tuner. If it's plugged into a T2, then it lifts the total number of tuners (and number of different broadcasters that can be recorder from) from 2 to 3. If it's plugged into a V2, it also lifts the total number of tuners from 2 to 3.

Beyonwiz sells a Hauppauge USB dual tuner that can increase the number of tuners available on a V2 from 2 to 4.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Nov 05, 2020 15:32

prl wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 14:30
That blue tuner is a single tuner. If it's plugged into a T2, then it lifts the total number of tuners (and number of different broadcasters that can be recorder from) from 3 to 4. If it's plugged into a V2, it lifts the total number of tuners from 2 to 3.
I think you have confused the T2 with the T3 here, or you have miscounted!

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Nov 05, 2020 15:45

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 15:32
prl wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 14:30
That blue tuner is a single tuner. If it's plugged into a T2, then it lifts the total number of tuners (and number of different broadcasters that can be recorder from) from 3 to 4. If it's plugged into a V2, it lifts the total number of tuners from 2 to 3.
I think you have confused the T2 with the T3 here, or you have miscounted!

Looking back at my comparison table, I think I confused the T2 and U4 columns. Not sure how I did that. I'll fix the post :oops:
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Thu Nov 05, 2020 17:51

This came with my V2. One end connects to antenna but what about the other end?

There was also USB2 extension cable.
Attachments
IMG_20201105_154254.jpg

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Nov 05, 2020 17:54

Videonut wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 17:51
This came with my V2. One end connects to antenna but what about the other end?

They're both for the tuner.

The big end of the cable goes into the V2's antenna-out, and the little end plugs into the tuner.

The USB extension is for connecting the tuner to the V2 if you want to avoid it clashing with nearby ports.

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Fri Nov 06, 2020 13:27

Thanks once again for that advise.

B/W itself had also seen my photo of back of machine & said the same thing unplug the OLD USB stick which came with my T2 & replace it with the blue stick which I did. I rebooted and got the Wiz blue screen which usually gives me the spick wheel. Ten minutes later nothing had happened.

So I swapped back the stick I had installed. I still got the spiky wheel but even though it didn't go away I could press buttons like EPG,Timer Recorded media and it would go straight to those screens. Everything seems to be working.

Had the blue stick worked would I ever have had the option to play FM or DAB radio & if so how?

The HDD that came with the V2 was a 1TB passport which I presume is black because I still haven't needed it. I still had a 2TB passport with nothing on it so I plugged it in formatted it and recorded a couple of programs. The programs play OK on the V2 but not on my PC presumably because of different formatting options.

It seems that I have a never ending stream of questions in getting everything going as best it should. Since it seems impossible to get in touch with Mark at Decisive I was wondering if there is anyone else that might be asked to come & help out?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Nov 06, 2020 14:36

Videonut wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 13:27
B/W itself had also seen my photo of back of machine & said the same thing unplug the OLD USB stick which came with my T2 & replace it with the blue stick which I did. I rebooted and got the Wiz blue screen which usually gives me the spick wheel. Ten minutes later nothing had happened.

So this was with your T2? The "DVB-T+FM+DAB/820T2" USB tuner (bluey) dongle works fine on the T2. In fact it works better than the supplied "Beyonwiz MINI DVB®T" USB tuner dongle.
What firmware is your T2 using?
Videonut wrote:
So I swapped back the stick I had installed. I still got the spiky wheel but even though it didn't go away I could press buttons like EPG,Timer Recorded media and it would go straight to those screens. Everything seems to be working.

Did you reboot once you had swapped dongles? It seems to me that you didn't.
Videonut wrote:
Had the blue stick worked would I ever have had the option to play FM or DAB radio & if so how?

No. Only when it is attached to a computer which is running the appropriate software.
Videonut wrote:
The HDD that came with the V2 was a 1TB passport which I presume is black because I still haven't needed it. I still had a 2TB passport with nothing on it so I plugged it in formatted it and recorded a couple of programs. The programs play OK on the V2 but not on my PC presumably because of different formatting options.

If your V2 is networked then play them that way.
Videonut wrote:
It seems that I have a never ending stream of questions in getting everything going as best it should. Since it seems impossible to get in touch with Mark at Decisive I was wondering if there is anyone else that might be asked to come & help out?

It may help your request if you tell people which suburb in Perth you live in :idea:

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Nov 06, 2020 14:40

Videonut wrote:
Thanks once again for that advise.

You might want to be more explicit about what "USB sticks" you're taking about. Beyonwiz may well have seen the picture of the back of your V2, but it hasn't been posted here, so talking about it doesn't really add much.

Is this what you mean:
  • You connected an "OLD USB stick which came with my T2" (perhaps the old squareish black USB tuner labelled either Beyonwiz MINI DVB2", or perhaps just "MINI DVBT"), the V2 started up, got to the "blue bubbles" splash scree, displayed the "spiked wheel" spinner. "Ten minutes later nothing had happened," but does "nothing" mean that the spinner was still showing on the "blue bubbles" screen, or was it just the "blue bubbles" screen? Did any of the remote buttons work (e.g. did OK bring up the infobar, or did the POWER button work on either the remote or front panel)?
  • You then shut down(?), disconnected the "OLD USB stick" and connected some other USB stick, presumably the "bluey" USB tuner whose image you posted, but now you get the blus splash screen, the spinner is displayed, but the V2 responds to the remote?
It's very unusual to get a Beyonwiz into a state where the spinner is showing, but the remote control works.

Is there an antenna connection to the ANT IN connector on the V2?
Is the connector cable you posted an image of connected from the V2's LOOP connector to the socket on the USB tuner (whichever you were using)?
Videonut wrote:

No. The V2 has can't use the DAB or FM radio tuners in the USB tuner. You can get a selection of the ABC and SBS DAB radio channels in Radio mode on the V2, but those "radio" channels are carried in the digital TV signal, they're not DAB+ channels.
Videonut wrote:
... I plugged it in formatted it and recorded a couple of programs. The programs play OK on the V2 but not on my PC presumably because of different formatting options.

Does that mean that if a USB tuner isn't connected to the V2 when it starts up, it operates normally?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Nov 06, 2020 14:41

Videonut wrote:

Don't forget he is doing this in his own time, just like all of us and has his own business and his life so he might not respond straight away.

Were you trying directly or through the board? The former is best.
Cheers
Gully

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Fri Nov 06, 2020 16:55

I see that there has been a few posts since my last one. I will try to answer them is the sequence that they were asked.

I live in Brentwood near the Mt. Henry bridge.

I had thought that the photo I had taken was poster here but apparently not so here it is? I have since taken off the brown tape.

As for the spinning wheel no bubbles were seen at any time since I have had the V2. The new remote control has worked only when I had the USB tuner from T2 plugged in. The antenna is attached to the USB tuners

I have never tried plugging in the Blue USB tuner into the old T2. And as for Firmware I noticed a page that suggests that both the T2 & V2 are using the same version. Going to settings about information doesn't that version as no mention of Firmware is displayed.

I see the the had been able to turn on TV as well when V2 switch turned on but only turns TV off if I'm on startup page?
Attachments
V2.jpg

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Nov 06, 2020 17:03

As far as I can tell, the USB tuner (looks like the "Beyonwiz MINI DVBT" tuner) in the photo is connected the way I'd expected it to be.

I'm still just as much in the dark as to what works and what doesn't work on your V2.

Your V2 is networked. Can you take some screenshots using Open Webif to show what the problem is?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Fri Nov 06, 2020 18:57

The blue dongle isn't plugged in. Into what port? It seems that there is only 2 ports in back of V2 and one is for storing recorded data. I currently have the one from old T2 plugged in and the blue one,which is better?

I'm also wondering how I could save a recording on PC,where would it be attached?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Nov 06, 2020 19:48

Videonut wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 18:57
I currently have the one from old T2 plugged in and the blue one,which is better?

I did already state which one is better.
Videonut wrote: I'm also wondering how I could save a recording on PC,where would it be attached?

Use Windows File Explore to explore the V2's "Movie" share, then copy/paste the recordings.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Nov 07, 2020 09:51

Videonut wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 18:57
The blue dongle isn't plugged in. Into what port? It seems that there is only 2 ports in back of V2 and one is for storing recorded data. I currently have the one from old T2 plugged in and the blue one,which is better?

I didn't say the blue USB tuner was plugged in in that photo. It clearly isn't. But you had mentioned trying to use the blue USB tuner with the V2, and I always assumed that you were trying one USB tuner at a time.

You can only attach two single-tuner USB tuners and a USB HDD drive for recording if you:
  1. Use a USB hub to increase the number of USB ports available; and
  2. Use an antenna splitter to feed the TV signal separately to the PVR's antenna input and the second tuner, because neither USB tuner can pass signals through it to another tuner.
That's probably the reason why Beyonwiz offers the twin tuner Hauppauge USB tuner with the V2, so that you can add two extra tuners and have them occupy only a single USB port.

Do you want to use both of your USB tuners on the V2, or are you simply trying to get at one of them to work on it?

I'm still just as much in the dark about what exactly is happening on the V2 when you try to use a USB tuner with it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Nov 07, 2020 13:44

Videonut,

I sent you a Private message last evening. It's still in my outbox which means it's waiting for you to view it.
Click on the "Private messages" notification at the top of the forum banner. Or go to your User Control Panel and click on Private Messages.

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Sat Nov 07, 2020 14:02

I have now replied. Please excuse the delay.

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Sun Nov 08, 2020 13:10

Strange things appear to be happening.
I turn on V2 thia AM & find a message about Network IF isn't working properly.

If I scroll through all of my favorite stations and look in the Bottom Right hand corner of the screen you see ABCD which reports things about signal strength,Signal quality & station details.Every A reports about 67    All B's report 0         no C's or D's    I have always had both A's & B's reporting figures before all up in 80"s or higher.  I have NBN 100 Fibre to House.

OpenWebIf is gone on the TV.  As well as on PC & tablet since they don't have any Internet connection available.

On the plus side I had deliberately set the V2 to record 7 programs last night and all appear to play OK.
All of  my Timers appear to be correct and I can call up the EPG favorites & set new timers that also work.
I still have the old USB tuner from the T2 plugged in.  I had tried unplugging it & replacing it with Bluey but all I got was an endless stream of Spiky wheel so I changed it back again.

I have looked at menu,settings, internet there and found no connection details or even figures to set this setup finished.

Do I try a reset to see if things improve?  Or?

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:43

I was going to do the reset but decided to start all over again since I still had the F/W update on my USB stick.

This started OK and once it started it suggested that I continue to do entire update from USB rather than directly off of the web.I though that I already had everything already on the USB stick so I told it to proceed.. It said that there ere about 440 files to download but kept going until well over 500.

The machine info setting says that I have version 19.3 installed.

V2 recorded 5 programs OK . The only playback problem is the FF & FR speeds. It doesn't display smoothly and says that it's going much slower than it should be. One program sent the screen back to Spikey wheel and I wasn't able to proceed.

The bottom right still only reports on A with 67 & 0 displayed.

I have OpenWebIf in TV tablet and PC OK.

I tried replacing my old T2 tuner with Bluey but it never worked so I switched it back.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:48

Videonut wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:43
The bottom right still only reports on A with 67 & 0 displayed.
The numbers there are the "Signal Strength" (top number) and "Signal Quality" (bottom number). Both those number apply to the tuner that is currently active (the A, B, C, D....whichever is currently green).

There is bug at the moment, that causes the Signal Quality to report as zero. That's not an accurate reading....just a problem in the drivers.

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Mon Nov 09, 2020 13:31

I'm also finding If I press the V2's red on button it turns both the TV & V2 on.
If I press it off when the V2 turns off but TV doesn't go into standby.

I have also plugged my Passport HDD into PC & hear the PC sound but drive won't open so I'm guessing that drive format isn't recognized by PC.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Nov 09, 2020 14:38

Videonut wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 13:31
I'm also finding If I press the V2's red on button it turns both the TV & V2 on.
If I press it off when the V2 turns off but TV doesn't go into standby.
That's likely to be a setting in your TV to automatically turn on when it detects a new signal on an HDMI port.

To do anything more elaborate with automatic control, you'd need to enable HDMI-CEC on the V2 and ensure it is switched on in the TV too (manufacturers use different terms to refer to their own implementation on HDMI-CEC....Anynet, Braviosync, etc...).

Alternatively, you can turn off all of the automatic controls in the TV and V2, and instead use a universal remote control to do all the work instead.
Videonut wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 13:31
I have also plugged my Passport HDD into PC & hear the PC sound but drive won't open so I'm guessing that drive format isn't recognized by PC.
The V2 will format the drive in the ext4 format which Windows cannot read. ext4 is the most common format used on Linux based machines.

To share files between the V2 and the PC, you can do that over the network. The V2 will do the disk reading on the PC's behalf, and the PC will just be able to see the files that the V2 is serving up.

It is possible to leave the disk formatted such that a Windows PC can read it, but that is not the recommended way to go. If the V2 loses power while writing to a Windows-formatted disk, there is a risk of filesystem damage. The V2 lacks the proper tools to perform a check and fix on a Windows formatted disk. You would need to unplug the disk and plug it into a Windows PC to perform that filesystem repair.

This may be an acceptable compromise to you if you really want to be able to physically move the disk between the PC and V2.

Just remember that the V2 should be off before you unplug the recording drive, or any of the tuners. And that all your devices should be plugged back in prior to turning the V2 back on. The V2 behavior will not be predictable if you hot-plug important system components. (it is ok to plug in-out harddrives that are not the primary recording drive though. You just need to make sure you unmount/eject the device properly via the GUI before pulling it out)

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Mon Nov 09, 2020 18:23

I now have the V2 turning both V2 & TV both on & off with one press of button.

The FF & FR is abysmal.

I took all of the precautions & tried plugging in Bluey in stead of my T2 tuner but again it didn't work. I even
thought that it could go in USB passport drive slot but that's impossible because of the small wire points down.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Nov 09, 2020 18:47

Videonut wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 18:23
The FF & FR is abysmal.

That's been reported many times.
Use skips instead.
Videonut wrote:
I took all of the precautions & tried plugging in Bluey in stead of my T2 tuner but again it didn't work. I even
thought that it could go in USB passport drive slot but that's impossible because of the small wire points down.

Use the -
Videonut wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 17:51

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Nov 10, 2020 09:36

Videonut wrote:

There's not really any such thing as a "USB Passport drive slot". There are two USB slots in the V2, both on the rear panel. One is USB3 (blue plastic tongue in the socket) and one is USB3 (the USB3 socket is labelled "USB3", and the USB2 socket is labelled "USB").

The two sockets have opposite orientations. If you plug the "bluey" USB tuner into the USB3 socket, its antenna plug will point down, and the V2 won't sit flat. If you plug it into the USB2 socket, the tuner's antenna plug will point up, and it won't interfere with the V2 sitting flat on its shelf.

If the "bluey" is plugged into the USB2 socket, its antenna lead is easily long enough to plug into the antenna "LOOP" socket (or at least, mine is). The only downside is that the tuner's antenna cable and the top of its plug will be visible above the top of the V2's case.

Using the USB3 port for HDD and the USB2 port for the tuner makes sense from a performance point of view, too: with the current broadcast settings used by all broadcasters, the tuner never needs to send more than about 25Mb/s, while it's nice to give the HDD as much connection bandwidth as possible.

Or, alternatively, you could use the extension cable. The extension cable is needed on some other models because if the tuner is plugged directly into a USB slot without an extension cable, the body of the tuner interferes with or blocks access to other sockets on the rear panel. On the V2, the USB2 socket is far enough from any other sockets that the body of the "bluey" tuner doesn't interfere with access to other sockets (like the wired Ethernet socket) so the extension cable isn't really needed. There's also plenty of room available for the body of the old Beyonwiz black tuner if it's plugged into the V2's USB2 port.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Tue Nov 10, 2020 15:15

Hurray, I finally got Bluey working but I don't know that's different that allowed this to happen.

I think that I may substitute my White 2GB HDD for the new one which I presume is Black & less conspicuous.

I have been making changes mainly on the the PC using OpenWebIf mainly because it's quicker & easier. I suppose that I will have to keep switching them about so as to use up whats already been recorded so far.

I do notice that if I look at the EPG it doesn't display what were set as regular timers for the same time & channel every day. Is this a bug or do I have to convert them to Auto timers,?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Nov 10, 2020 15:49

Videonut wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 15:15
I think that I may substitute my White 2GB HDD for the new one which I presume is Black & less conspicuous.
I suppose that I will have to keep switching them about so as to use up whats already been recorded so far.

You can copy the "white" drive's current recordings to the "black" UDB HDD, although not whilst the USB tuner is also attached as you don't have enough USB ports.
  1. unplug the USB tuner and plug the "black" drive in its place
  2. if required, format the "black" drive - take care to not format the "white" drive
  3. don't reboot or restart the GUI as the drives will then likely swap mount order
  4. use File Commander to copy the "movie" directory and its recordings from the "white" drive over to the "black" drive (i.e. copying /media/hdd/movie to /media/usb)
  5. once copied, exit File Commander.
  6. shut down to deep standby
  7. unplug the "white" drive from the USB3.0 slot and plug the "black" drive in its place
  8. plug the USB tuner back in the USB2.0 slot
  9. boot up the V2
Videonut wrote: I do notice that if I look at the EPG it doesn't display what were set as regular timers for the same time & channel every day.

Did you actually set them as daily repeating timers? Are they shown in the timers list as "waiting"?
Swap to a different bouquet and see if the timers are highlighted.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Nov 10, 2020 15:52

Videonut wrote:
I do notice that if I look at the EPG it doesn't display what were set as regular timers for the same time & channel every day. Is this a bug or do I have to convert them to Auto timers,?
Only the next recording instance of a repeating timer is ever set, and so you will only see the next recording instance showing in the EPG. When that instance finished recording, the next timer will be created.

This is the way repeating timers have always worked.

Autotimers will show all of the timers that are created based on your search criteria.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Nov 10, 2020 16:02

Videonut wrote:
I do notice that if I look at the EPG it doesn't display what were set as regular timers for the same time & channel every day. Is this a bug

That is a side-effect of how timers are matched against the EPG. An EPG entry is coloured as a recording if the whole span of the recording is covered by a timer. If a timer is not fully covered by timer 'half-clock' icons are displayed in the program's EPG entry to indicate whether the first part or the last part of the program is being recorded, and the program is not coloured as a recording.

An example of where a daily recording is expected to show the "half-clocks" is if you only have a small amount of padding, and progtram's start and end times vary through the day.

An example is if you use the EPG to set the timer from a week-day or Saturday edition of the ABC News program on ABC or ABC HD. That runs 19:00-19:30 Mon-Sat, but on Sunday it is replaced by ABC News Sunday, which runs 19:00-19:42. If you have less than 12 min post-padding set (and the default is only 5 min), then the recording of ABC News Sunday will show in the EPG as a partial recording (because it is).

Does that explain any of your EPG entries that don't have recording colouring? If not, could you give more details: the program channel, program name and recording start and end times.

If you have only the default padding (3 min pre-padding and 5 min post-padding) I think that's inadequate to cope with the scheduling shenanigans that the networks (especially, but not exclusively, the commercial broadcasyters) get up to. I use 5 min pre-padding and 24 min post-padding. The 24, rather than 25, min padding is so that programs whose start and end times are 30 min apart don't raise possible tuner allocation conflicts: the tuners are allocated about 20 sec before a recording starts.
Videonut wrote:
or do I have to convert them to Auto timers,?

Auto timers create one-off timers that are aligned with the EPG and so are much less likely to show up as "partial" timers. I personally don't like AutoTimers, I think that they are over-complicated to set up, and prone to user error in setting them up correctly. I much prefer to pay $8/month for IceTV to get similar functionality, a much simpler interface and the ability to manage large numbers of series recordings, and reasonably reliable ability to only record first runs.

But you need to be careful. If you set an AutoTimer to record on an exact match of "ABC News", that won't record the Sunday evening news, because it's called "ABC News Sunday". But for various reasons, partial match and "starts with" match generally work better in AutoTimers than exact match.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Nov 10, 2020 16:06

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 15:52
Only the next recording instance of a repeating timer is ever set, and so you will only see the next recording instance showing in the EPG. When that instance finished recording, the next timer will be created.

That's not correct. The recording marking in the EPG works quite well for repeating timers (with some caveats, as I mentioned above). What doesn't work is being able to modify a repeating timer from the EPG after the first time it has run: Graphical EPG highlights active timers, but does not offer to allow you to change them
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Tue Nov 10, 2020 16:19

Thanks for all the EPG timer actions explained.

At the moment on the PC I changed the EPG settings using OpenWebIf and am now displaying everything in different colors but have yet to find a way to change it back to what it was.

I'll try swapping the HDD's tomorrow when I get a chance.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:57

The EPG GUI in OpenWebif (OWIF) is completely different to the native EPG GUI. Whatever has been said about EPG above is based on the native GUI and will not apply to OWIF.

OpenWebif is a plugin developed independently.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Nov 11, 2020 14:21

Videonut wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 16:19
Thanks for all the EPG timer actions explained.

Are the expected timers showing in the EPG?
Videonut wrote: At the moment on the PC I changed the EPG settings using OpenWebIf and am now displaying everything in different colors but have yet to find a way to change it back to what it was.

Apart from a general theme colour in OpenWebif, I don't think there's any settings for the OWIF EPG display.
Are you referring to the (V2) GUI's EPG display that you altered using the virtual remote feature of OWIF - even so I still don't think there's anything for colours, unless you're referring to the OverlayHD skin and its EPG colour selection.
Perhaps you need to supplay a screenshot so we can further assist.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Nov 11, 2020 15:00

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 14:21
Apart from a general theme colour in OpenWebif, I don't think there's any settings for the OWIF EPG display.
Are you referring to the (V2) GUI's EPG display that you altered using the virtual remote feature of OWIF - even so I still don't think there's anything for colours, unless you're referring to the OverlayHD skin and its EPG colour selection.

I couldn't find any way to changed the OpenWebif EPG colour scheme apart from using Settings>OpenWebif Settings>Theme Where the default theme is called "original").

I couldn't find any way to change the V2's TV-screen GUI colouring of the EPG.

Videonut, if the EPG display on the TV-screen GUI is flat colours like this:
1_0_1_210_211_1010_EEEE0000_0_0_0_20201111155026.jpg
(ignore the IceTV backdrop if you don't use IceTV - it's the style of the program grid area I'm talking about)

Then to change it back to the default: EPG, MENU, then change the View mode (top entry in the settings screen) from Text to Graphics, then GREEN Save.
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 14:21
Perhaps you need to supplay a screenshot so we can further assist.

Yes. Videonut, no-one on the forum can see what you're seeing displayed from your V2. If you don't describe problems clearly and accurately, it's hard for anyone to give help that actually addresses your problem.

It may be useful for you to read How to create good bug reports.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Wed Nov 11, 2020 17:54

I now have OpenWebIf back to it's original color. This color now is visible on my PC or Tablet as well.

The supplied remote isn't the best. Several buttons don't seem to be in the best place. It would be must better is I could get my Logitech Harmony 650's working again. I can update the the Logitech software make the changes I wish but I can't seem to get this data transferred to the remotes and I have 3 of them.

Another question if I may I now have a B/W mini USB tuner which is sitting idle. I can plug it into the PC and add a antenna connection as well but won't I also need software which would be needed to change channels?

Bodogbodog
Apprentice

Post by Bodogbodog » Wed Nov 11, 2020 18:03

I upgraded from a T2 to a V2 a couple of weeks ago and use a Harmony 650 remote - I’ve had no issues at all with the transition - so it is possible
I do use IceTV as the EPG and to schedule recordings and use a Network Share for my recordings
I just wanted to let you know that it is possible to have a smooth transition and a great experience with a V2
Beyonwiz V2 Quad Tuner recording to unRAID OS NAS 16Tb NAS
Beyonwiz V2 Dual Tuner (warm standby)
Samsung Q65 OLED TV
Yamaha YSP2700 Sound Bar
Harmony 650 Remote Control

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Thu Nov 12, 2020 15:08

I'm glad that someone can still get there Logitech remotes to update. I'll just have to keep trying.

I'm pleased that I have the new black passport 1TB HDD with all of the old data copied over from the 2TB White one.

So this means that everything is working well although I may this find some more useful options to change that are hidden away in the forest of choices built in this software. To do this I must get more familiar with all abbreviations of the jargon used my this machine.

Thanks again for all of help.

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Mon Nov 30, 2020 17:03

Here it is a couple of weeks later and in the main I can report that most things seem to be working better & I even have got the Logitech remote working.

The most annoying at the moment is the remotes playback. it's already been noted that the speeds you select for FF & FR have problems. I know that you can select the speeds that you want but you can see that if you used to use speeds like 8x,or 16x the displayed file is considerably slower & the jump speed isn't a great help. MY wife even complains that the button click is too loud.

I've tried taking a recorded file & copied it onto the PC but I can't open so I can't edit it & then return it to the V2 for playback. I suppose that there might be special software around that might be able to do this.

On my old T2 I could remove & replace files that I wanted edited quite easily. I used to use OpenWebIf on PC to grab the needed files but the V2 doesn't appear on my PC 's network even though V2 & PC are connected via Cat Cable. I'm guessing that my Network isn't set up correctly.

I have managed to take files off of the V2 using OpenWebIf on PC but this is taking many times longer than it used to.

Any ideas?

Return to “FAQs, Tips & How to Guides”