How do I default the Media display to my Network drive rather than the HDD directory

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Bodogbodog
Apprentice

How do I default the Media display to my Network drive rather than the HDD directory

Post by Bodogbodog » Sat Sep 19, 2020 15:24

I've just changed from having the default recording onto a local internal HDD on my T2 to now record to a Network Share on my Server - my question is how do I make my default screen the Network Share when pressing MEDIA so I get to see my current Recorded TV programmes as opposed to my HDD (which will remain in the T2 to handle the time slip recording which I understand defaults to the HDD as opposed to being able to be redirected to the Network Share - is that correct?)

As an aside I've just ordered a V2 Quad Tuner to update to - from what I've read the system setups and interfaces are similar to what I've grown used to on the T2 so hopefully setup and operation should be pretty easy. This will be our third Beyonwiz and they've served us well - it will be nice to have the HDTV display support and the Quad Tuners. Any recommendations/suggestions regarding the move from T2 to V2 would be appreciated
Last edited by Bodogbodog on Sat Sep 19, 2020 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
Beyonwiz V2 Quad Tuner recording to unRAID OS NAS 16Tb NAS
Beyonwiz V2 Dual Tuner (warm standby)
Samsung Q65 OLED TV
Yamaha YSP2700 Sound Bar
Harmony 650 Remote Control

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: How do I default the Media display to my Netowrk drive rather than the HDD directory

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Sep 19, 2020 16:27

I'm sure the media selection list always returns to the last displayed location.
Did you change Setup>>TV>>Recording settings>>Default movie location?
You could set up a bookmark to the network location so you can easily return to it if you ever navigate away from it.

Timeshift location can be changed in Setup>>TV>>Timeshift settings>>Timeshift location value.

Bodogbodog
Apprentice

Re: How do I default the Media display to my Network drive rather than the HDD directory

Post by Bodogbodog » Sat Sep 19, 2020 17:24

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 16:27
1. I'm sure the media selection list always returns to the last displayed location.
2. Did you change Setup>>TV>>Recording settings>>Default movie location?
3. You could set up a bookmark to the network location so you can easily return to it if you ever navigate away from it.
4. Timeshift location can be changed in Setup>>TV>>Timeshift settings>>Timeshift location value.

Thanks for the quick response - much appreciated

1. You're right now that I look at it - it stays defaulted to the last directory I was in so that's all sorted
2. Yes - got the default recording location setup to the Network Drive
3. How do Bookmarks work? I found the menu option to create a Bookmark and can see if I hit the Location button when in Media that its displayed as a location option - is that it? or are there other functions for Bookmarks?
4. Thanks - found it and will change that when I setup my V2

I have to say I'm impressed with the record to the Network Share and how it performs despite it only being a 100mb network connection on the T2 - the rest of my network is 1gb and the Server is a good spec so the V2 will slot in nicely. I don't know why I hadn't set that up before now - nice to have a very large capacity location to record to and store recordings
Samsung Q65 OLED TV
Yamaha YSP2700 Sound Bar

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: How do I default the Media display to my Network drive rather than the HDD directory

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Sep 19, 2020 17:37

Bodogbodog wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 17:24
3. How do Bookmarks work? I found the menu option to create a Bookmark and can see if I hit the Location button when in Media that its displayed as a location option - is that it? or are there other functions for Bookmarks?

MEDIA>>MEDIA will take you to your list of bookmarks, CH- to swap to the bookmarked locations, select a bookmark and press OK to bring up the media selection list at that location.

Bookmarks can be used to set a specific timer or AutoTimer recording location.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Sep 19, 2020 19:09

Bodogbodog wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 17:24
I don't know why I hadn't set that up before now - nice to have a very large capacity location to record to and store recordings
Unfortunately having such luxuries just leads to poor habits. You point your Beyonwiz at a 30TB NAS, it will still fill up. Ask me how I know. :roll:

Once you fill up your NAS, deleting things becomes harder than you ever anticipated. When you have a couple of years of every rage broadcast recorded on your NAS, how do you choose which ones to keep and which ones are gold? Do you go into a full time rage viewing mode and save the keepers from each recording before deleting it. Do you delete all the mid-week broadcasts and only keep the weekends? Do you go to the rage website and scan the playlists to figure out what to keep and what to delete? Do you just drop another $1k-$2k on more NAS storage?

Back when a 320GB PVR was top of the line, you would stay on top of all your recordings and a cleanup was easily done over the weekend.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Sep 19, 2020 19:12

peteru wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 19:09
Ask me how I know. :roll:

There are only a certain number of Peppa Pig episodes :D

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Sep 19, 2020 19:19

I'm pretty sure we've got all of those. And Bluey. And Catie's Amazing Machines. And Pingu. But most importantly Operation Ouch.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Bodogbodog
Apprentice

Post by Bodogbodog » Sat Sep 19, 2020 19:47

Ha, you are spot on re an ever increasing need for storage

We don’t have grand children so none of those series taking up space - but my achilles heel is the Tour De France, the Giro and the Veulta cycling races - my wife watches every minute of these - certainly not satisfied with the highlights packages. I can see years of cycling in HD consuming our storage

The bottom line is we’ll just continue to buy more storage....I’m not prepared to push the Red button on her beloved cycling!
Samsung Q65 OLED TV
Yamaha YSP2700 Sound Bar

Return to “FAQs, Tips & How to Guides”