How to directly fetch the picons-tv-australia package from IanSav's feed server and then install it

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

How to directly fetch the picons-tv-australia package from IanSav's feed server and then install it

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Jan 17, 2020 13:39

If you already have Ian's Beyonwiz Feed Server plugin, then you don't need to proceed any further.

These next steps are for those folk who want to avail themselves of the latest picons that prl has committed to the repository, and that have been built into a package by one of Ian's o/s contacts and then placed on his feed server, prior to those latest picons being released in a beta or general release firmware.
If you don't understand the steps, don't proceed.

The step actions are to directly download the picons package from the feed server, then install it on the Wiz.

1. Download the latest packages list from Ian's feed server - https://iansav.bitbucket.io/feeds/Beyonwiz/Packages.gz
  2. Open the Packages.gz file using a text editor (it's plain text, not zipped)
  3. Locate the entry 'Package: enigma2-plugin-picons-tv-australia'
  4. Locate the 'Filename:' entry for that enigma2-plugin-picons-tv-australia package
    It'll be of the form: enigma2-plugin-picons-tv-australia_3.0+git{number}+{commit number}-r1_all.ipk
    If you want to see what picon updates are included in that build that resides on the feed server, take the {commit number} from above, match it with a 'merge commit' listed in - https://bitbucket.org/beyonwiz/picons-a ... a/commits/
    e.g. latest build has commit number '2d871ee' in the file name which matches to - "Change picons for 7food network to 7mate HD"
  5. Download that package and install it:
    The URL to use will be https://iansav.bitbucket.io/feeds/Beyonwiz/{file name from #4 above}
    1. If you're handy with the command line, issue a wget command on the Wiz to fetch the file
      Then either use opkg to install it, or navigate to it with File Commander and then install it
    2. Otherwise download the file on your PC using a browser,
      Then copy it to a USB flash drive, insert the flash drive into the Wiz, follow the 'Install Extensions' popup prompt to install the package
      (You can of course copy the file to anywhere the Wiz can see it and use File Commander to install it).

tyreless
Apprentice

Re: How to directly fetch the picons-tv-australia package from IanSav's feed server and then install it

Post by tyreless » Fri Jan 17, 2020 14:55

Thanks GG - worked for me. I appreciate the detailed instructions. I unzipped Packages.gz to my PC, went through the folders to IanSav-Plugins, and then proceeded with Steps 3-5 of your instructions.
Cheers,

Tyreless

2 x Beyonwiz T2 (Open ATV, EPG refresh, series to folder)
3 x Topfield PVRt 5000 (deceased)

sddawson
Master

Re: How to directly fetch the picons-tv-australia package from IanSav's feed server and then install it

Post by sddawson » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:24

This hasn't worked for me. I successfully downloaded the .ipk file and put it on a usb stick. I put that into my U4. It said "no displayable files". But no matter, using File Commander I navigated to the file on the USB stick and pressed OK. It said the file was successfully installed. But my 7mateHD channel still has the 7food logo, and 9Gem HD still has the yourMONEY logo. Any ideas?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:36

sddawson wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:24
But no matter, using File Commander I navigated to the file on the USB stick and pressed OK. It said the file was successfully installed. But my 7mateHD channel still has the 7food logo, and 9Gem HD still has the yourMONEY logo. Any ideas?

Have you restarted the GUI?

edit -
Have you rescanned the services?
What broadcast market are you in?

edit2 -
Are you on older 17.5-series firmware? 9Gem HD started in July last year, but the picon wouldn't have appeared until the general release firmware of 20191106. I think that firmware also added support for 'xz' which is required to install the picons package that is hosted on IanSav's feed server.
Likely you'll need to update to 20191106 (you can get it from https://beyonwiz.com.au/downloads/).
Last edited by Grumpy_Geoff on Mon Jan 20, 2020 13:02, edited 1 time in total.

sddawson
Master

Post by sddawson » Mon Jan 20, 2020 13:00

I restarted the GUI and rebooted. I haven't rescanned. Is that strictly necessary? My bouquets are showing the new channel names correctly, just not the correct logos. I'm in Sydney.

I just tried updating a T3, and got different results. See attached photo. On the U4 I just got "execution finished", with no other messages. On the T3 I see an error than messages indicating things have been updated. But still no new icons...

Thanks for the help,
Attachments
L5FrYsX9QFG5Yw1+eG2QzA.jpg

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Jan 20, 2020 13:19

sddawson wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 13:00
I restarted the GUI and rebooted. I haven't rescanned. Is that strictly necessary? My bouquets are showing the new channel names correctly, just not the correct logos. I'm in Sydney.

I think you need to do rescan to pick up the new SIDs (Service IDentifiers) being used. The service name is coming from the LCN/EIT I believe.
If you rescan you should see the picon/name match when in Lsst Scanned and Terrestrial TV LCN bouquets. You'll have to copy the relevant services from one of those over to your Favourites.

Do you have World Movies picon?
sddawson wrote: I just tried updating a T3, and got different results. See attached photo. On the U4 I just got "execution finished", with no other messages. On the T3 I see an error than messages indicating things have been updated. But still no new icons...

What firmware are you running on each box?

That T3 error could be because it's on an older 17.5-series firmware.

sddawson
Master

Post by sddawson » Mon Jan 20, 2020 16:02

OK - I didn't know 19.3 was out! That's the trouble with these major updates - you get no notification unless you're on the forums regularly. Having updated the U4, then reapplying the icon file, things are good. I didn't have to rescan after that. Now to update my other 3 boxes! The update did upset some of my harmony automations a little, due to a change in the Media button settings configuration. I used to use the separate TV and Radio buttons to automate getting into the Media home screen or the autofs folder. Seems they've been merged into one TV/Radio button for some reason. So I've just used the Audio button as an alternative.

Thanks for the pointers...

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jan 20, 2020 16:33

sddawson wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 16:02
I used to use the separate TV and Radio buttons to automate getting into the Media home screen or the autofs folder. Seems they've been merged into one TV/Radio button for some reason. So I've just used the Audio button as an alternative.

The U4 and V2 remotes don't have separate RADIO and TV buttons. They have a single button that is silkscreened as RADIO/TV, but the code they emit is KEY_TV. On the T series remotes, KEY_RADIO and KEY_TV are emitted by the respective buttons.

I suspect that the Harmony databases reflect those differences (if that's the programmable remote you're using).

IIRC, no model-specific code was added to accommodate these differences in the remote.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

sddawson
Master

Post by sddawson » Mon Jan 20, 2020 16:57

prl wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 16:33
The U4 and V2 remotes don't have separate RADIO and TV buttons. They have a single button that is silkscreened as RADIO/TV, but the code they emit is KEY_TV. On the T series remotes, KEY_RADIO and KEY_TV are emitted by the respective buttons.

I suspect that the Harmony databases reflect those differences (if that's the programmable remote you're using).

IIRC, no model-specific code was added to accommodate these differences in the remote.
I think this came about because I changed from a T series in this location to a U4. Rather than changing my Harmony programming, I just changed the U4 to use a T-series ir code set. Maybe it still supports separate TV and Radio buttons in that case? Although the settings UI doesn't change...

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jan 20, 2020 17:55

When the U4 is set to use the standard T3 remote (code set 0xABCD), it definitely responds to the RADIO button on a T3 remote in the expected way (just tested it).

I'm not sure what you mean by the settings UI not changing.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

sddawson
Master

Post by sddawson » Mon Jan 20, 2020 18:07

prl wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 17:55
When the U4 is set to use the standard T3 remote (code set 0xABCD), it definitely responds to the RADIO button on a T3 remote in the expected way (just tested it).

I'm not sure what you mean by the settings UI not changing.
I just meant that, when using the t3 code set, the UI still has the tv/radio button, not separate tv and radio buttons. So what happens when you press the Radio button I’m not sure, since it’s not configurable. But my Harmony was using the Radio button so I guess I just got lucky with it defaulting to the right thing, which is the autofs folder.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jan 20, 2020 18:12

I'm still really unclear what you mean by things like "the UI still has the tv/radio button".

The remote codeset (as received by the UI code) has no TV/RADIO button code. All it has are: KEY_RADIO, KEY_TV and KEY_TV2. AFAIK, no Beyonwiz remote sende KEY_TV2.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

sddawson
Master

Post by sddawson » Mon Jan 20, 2020 19:34

prl wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 18:12
I'm still really unclear what you mean by things like "the UI still has the tv/radio button".

The remote codeset (as received by the UI code) has no TV/RADIO button code. All it has are: KEY_RADIO, KEY_TV and KEY_TV2. AFAIK, no Beyonwiz remote sende KEY_TV2.
Sorry - we were talking here about the configuration options that are available when in the Media screen. So when there, press menu, settings to configure what all the buttons do while in the Media screen. On the U4, you can configure TV/Radio, on the T series you can configure them separately. My U4 was configured to use a T series code set, and my Harmony was sending Radio. I used that as a shortcut to get to the autofs folder (in order to see recordings on other BW boxes). I guess when the U4 receives Radio it defaults to autofs, so it happened to work for me. Hope that makes better sense!

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Jan 20, 2020 21:04

I think the separate tv and radio button actions were removed from the firmware not long after the U4 came out to cut down on the confusion of some Wiz boxes not having both buttons. There was a brief window after the U4 came out where they were still present though.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jan 20, 2020 21:44

MrQuade wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 21:04
I think the separate tv and radio button actions were removed from the firmware not long after the U4 came out to cut down on the confusion of some Wiz boxes not having both buttons. There was a brief window after the U4 came out where they were still present though.

The commit comment says that the issue was that it was causing crashes in the Help system. It might have been better to fix the help code. ;)
Fix Help crash due to movie-selection-user-keys

The Radio button was still present in the help actions, even when the button wasn't available. This caused Help to crash. Only add Radio when it's available.
The help system works for other action maps that have actions bound to keys that aren't available on the remote. I'm not sure why this one breaks.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Jan 20, 2020 22:36

prl wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 21:44

The commit comment says that the issue was that it was causing crashes in the Help system. It might have been better to fix the help code. ;)
Fix Help crash due to movie-selection-user-keys
Ahh, Hehe. I must have been remembering the justification rather than the triggering reason for the change ;)
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Mon Jan 20, 2020 23:46

I made the change from TV and RADIO to TV/RADIO with the V2. The UI presents according to the box: the T-series has separate TV and RADIO, the U4 and V2 have combined TV/RADIO. I don't think it's possible to know what remote is used, only the code set the box recognises. I guess if the code set supports separate TV and RADIO buttons that's how I should code it - don't know why I didn't think of that at the time. The help crash was my mistake.

sddawson
Master

Post by sddawson » Tue Jan 21, 2020 07:56

adoxa wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 23:46
I made the change from TV and RADIO to TV/RADIO with the V2. The UI presents according to the box: the T-series has separate TV and RADIO, the U4 and V2 have combined TV/RADIO. I don't think it's possible to know what remote is used, only the code set the box recognises. I guess if the code set supports separate TV and RADIO buttons that's how I should code it - don't know why I didn't think of that at the time. The help crash was my mistake.
The issue for me was what happens if a U4 receives a Radio key press in the Media screen? Does it execute a default, non-configurable action, and if so, what is it? Or is it the same as what’s set for the TV/Radio combined button? In any case, it obviously behaves differently in 19.3 than 17.5, which is what caused my issue. But that was easy to get around by using, in my case, the Text button instead of Radio, since that’s common between all the boxes.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 21, 2020 09:05

sddawson wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 07:56
The issue for me was what happens if a U4 receives a Radio key press in the Media screen? Does it execute a default, non-configurable action, and if so, what is it?

On a U4 or V2 in the media selection screen, setting the remote type to a remote with a separate Radio key, then pressing RADIO on that remote will do nothing. You get the "unhandled key" popup. I have verified this on the U4, and checked the code.

That's one reason why I think the "fix" was the wrong fix, especially on the U4, which can be configured to operate with remotes that have the separate Radio button.

The V2 can't be configured to use remotes with other codesets, though the default U4 remote codeset also works on the V2 (and the V2 remote works on the U4 if the U4 is set to its default remote setting).

For most of my testing, I use a V2 remote on my test U4 & V2, and a T3 remote on my test T series boxes, unless I'm testing some specific behaviour of a particular remote.
sddawson wrote:
Or is it the same as what’s set for the TV/Radio combined button?

No. On remotes with a combined Radio/TV button, the button will do the same as the TV button on remotes that have separate Radio and TV buttons.

The key code received from the combined Radio/TV button is the same as the code received for the TV button on remotes that have separated Radio & TV buttons: KEY_TV. So the combined Radio/TV button will have the same effect as the TV button on remotes that have separate Radio & TV buttons. On remotes that have a Radio key, that key sends KEY_RADIO.
sddawson wrote:
In any case, it obviously behaves differently in 19.3 than 17.5...

Yes, and that was an intentional change. I would prefer for the problem with the media selection screen help on the U4 to have been fixed by fixing the apparent bug in help rather than putting arbitrary limits on what keys are recognised by the media selection screen.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 21, 2020 09:13

adoxa wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 23:46
I don't think it's possible to know what remote is used, only the code set the box recognises.

That's correct, but in the case of the U4, the code set choice pretty much tells you which remote is being used, apart from not being able to distinguish the T2 from the T4 remote and the V2 from the U4 remote, though for this case, the differences are unimportant. The V2 has no remote codeset switching capability, but the U4 and V2 both have the combined Radio/TV button (emitting KEY_TV).

I've thought about this issue from the point of view of displaying the correct remote image for the selected remote type in the help screen, but I never looked at it in much detail.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

sddawson
Master

Post by sddawson » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:03

prl wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 09:05
Yes, and that was an intentional change. I would prefer for the problem with the media selection screen help on the U4 to have been fixed by fixing the apparent bug in help rather than putting arbitrary limits on what keys are recognised by the media selection screen.
Of course, you're right about the Radio key producing the popup on the U4. I was going from memory. Basically, my automation to get to the autofs folder (exit, exit, exit, Media, Radio) stopped working because it used the Radio key. I suspect the invalid key popup was happening, I just didn't know why at the time! The multiple exit key presses make sure the automation works no matter what is on the screen at the time.

This discussion has certainly devolved from my seemingly simple requirement to update my picons! All interesting stuff.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:37

Occasionally, something going wildly off-topic can be very useful ;)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Feb 18, 2020 23:09

Hi,

The new picons are now on my feed server.

Rather than the manual efforts described in the first post I suggest that people use the feed server as was intended. This will allow the picon updates will happen automatically.

The instructions to add my feed server to your device are listed in the OverlayHD Skin... use the instructions provided in the "To install the IanSav Feed Server plugin:" section. When the plugin has been installed you should be able to go to the Plugins "Download plugins" screen and select the Australian picon set from the "picons" category. Once the picons are initially installed you will get update notifications whenever I update the feed server.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:41

IanSav wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 23:09
The instructions to add my feed server to your device are listed in the OverlayHD Skin... use the instructions provided in the "To install the IanSav Feed Server plugin:" section.

If the PVR is in the main menu, and a USB device is plugged in with .ipk files on it, the user will get an immediate popup with "The following files were found / Install extensions." By clicking on "Install extensions", the installer screen is entered without needing to use the FileCommander (instructions for opening the FileCommander might be useful, too, unless this omission is an intentional pons asinorum.

It may be useful to add instructions about how to unmount the USB when the user has finished the package installation.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:54

IanSav wrote:
Hi,

Rather than the manual efforts described in the first post I suggest that people use the feed server as was intended. This will allow the picon updates will happen automatically.

The instructions to add my feed server to your device are listed in the OverlayHD Skin... use the instructions provided in the "To install the IanSav Feed Server plugin:" section. When the plugin has been installed you should be able to go to the Plugins "Download plugins" screen and select the Australian picon set from the "picons" category. Once the picons are initially installed you will get update notifications whenever I update the feed server.

Regards,
Ian.
Thanks Ian. Your server is a god send for this otherwise silly picon process Beyonwiz persist with.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:00

Hi Prl,
prl wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:41
It may be useful to add instructions about how to unmount the USB when the user has finished the package installation.
A dot point has been added to the instructions.

Regards,
Ian.

sddawson
Master

Post by sddawson » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:39

IanSav wrote:
Hi,

Regards,
Ian.
I just tried this on a U4 and a T4 on which I had already installed the latest icons manually. It didn't quite go to plan. The Feed Server plugin worked fine. I could go to Download Plugins and see OverlayHD 1.64 and 1.70 under the "skins" category. But there is no sign of a "picons" category, even after a reboot. What am I missing here?

However, a short time after the reboot, I was told there was a software update available which was, indeed, the picons. This installed fine and the system rebooted.

Thoughts?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:49

sddawson wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:39
Thoughts?

I'm guessing OverlayHD was shown because you don't have it installed. The picons package wasn't shown because you already had a version of it installed (manually).
Ian's feed server plugin would have added his feed server to the standard Beyonwiz feed server list, thus allowing the next software update check to see the new version of the picons package.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 14:47

sddawson wrote:
IanSav wrote:
Hi,

Regards,
Ian.
I just tried this on a U4 and a T4 on which I had already installed the latest icons manually. It didn't quite go to plan. The Feed Server plugin worked fine. I could go to Download Plugins and see OverlayHD 1.64 and 1.70 under the "skins" category. But there is no sign of a "picons" category, even after a reboot. What am I missing here?

However, a short time after the reboot, I was told there was a software update available which was, indeed, the picons. This installed fine and the system rebooted.

Thoughts?

The picons are fed out as a software update from Ian's server, in similar fashion to Beyonwiz updates. You install Ian's feed server plugin and it makes available the Overlay HD feed that includes the skin and the picons, which Ian does as a courtesy to speed up their availability.

All quite normal...
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Mar 04, 2020 16:37

Hi Sddawson,
sddawson wrote:

Thoughts?
As has already been posted, if a package is already installed it will not be listed for repeat installation. If one of the packages is updated then you will get an alert that an update is available and the system can apply the update like it would any other firmware component.

You can uninstall the Australian picons in which case the entry will appear in the list of available packages again. Alternatively you should see the benefit when Prl makes the next Picon update.

Regards,
Ian.

sddawson
Master

Post by sddawson » Thu Mar 05, 2020 15:01

IanSav wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 16:37
Hi Sddawson,
As has already been posted, if a package is already installed it will not be listed for repeat installation. If one of the packages is updated then you will get an alert that an update is available and the system can apply the update like it would any other firmware component.

You can uninstall the Australian picons in which case the entry will appear in the list of available packages again. Alternatively you should see the benefit when Prl makes the next Picon update.

Regards,
Ian.
Thanks for the added verification. All is working well!

raj
Master

Post by raj » Sun Sep 20, 2020 16:45

G'day,

Ok, first thanks.

I have downloaded a file called "Packages.gz"

I have also downloaded a file called "beyonwiz-picons-australia-079ba15333f8.zip"

To update the picons, is it a matter of copying these two files to a flash drive, plugging it into the T2 and picking the Install itel in the pop-up?

Just digging around with FTP Commander, I can see the current entries and some new ones in the zip file. Does the install option make sure it goes in correctly?

Thanks.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sun Sep 20, 2020 18:26

If you want the latest picons without the risk of breaking your package dependencies or introducing untrusted feeds, you should install the current beta firmware and switch the feed to the latest beta.

The picon package update was made available on the beta feed within a couple of hours of the update.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Sep 21, 2020 00:45

The post above that contained a personal attack was moved to the moderation queue.
As was another one that followed.

Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Sep 21, 2020 09:54

peteru wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 18:26
The picon package update was made available on the beta feed within a couple of hours of the update.

I don't seem to be seeing it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:08

I received an email that IanSav replied in this thread this morning 00:14. Is that the post that has been moved to moderation queue? Was there any information on when we will be able to get the picons via Software Manager online update from Ian's server?

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:43

Trial_Master wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:08
I received an email that IanSav replied in this thread this morning 00:14. Is that the post that has been moved to moderation queue?

Yes, it was.
Trial_Master wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:08
Was there any information on when we will be able to get the picons via Software Manager online update from Ian's server?
No, there was not.

Blog.

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:46

Right. Thanks I guess

Return to “FAQs, Tips & How to Guides”