Timeout error in YARDWiz

Discussions on Software, File Formats and Conversion.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

neilh

Timeout error in YARDWiz

Post by neilh » Tue Dec 31, 2013 15:43

I am now receiving the following error when YARDWiz (0.4.4) is updating information to my PC.
Unable to list programs on the WizPnP server:

"Deep recursion on subroutine "Beyonwiz::Recording::Header::episode" at Beyonwiz/Recording/Header.pm line 972.
Deep recursion on subroutine "Beyonwiz::Recording::Header::loadEpisode" at Beyonwiz/Recording/Header.pm line 627.
Deep recursion on subroutine "Beyonwiz::Recording::Header::decodeEpisode" at Beyonwiz/Recording/Header.pm line 1186.
Out of memory!"

I am using Win7 and connecting to the DP2 via Netcomm POE. The only recent change is the upgradefrom Win XP to Win7. Any thoughts on what is going on?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Dec 31, 2013 17:10

Hi, neilh, welcome to the forum.

I'm the author of getWizPnP, the program generating the error messages you're seeing. YARDWiz is a GUI front end to getWizPnP.

It looks like a bug in Beyonwiz::Recording::Header::episode inside getWizPnP that's triggered if the download of the header.tvwiz file is incomplete.

Are you able to see the last few lines in the YARDWiz Log window before the "Deep recursion" errors? The last recording mentioned there is probably the source of the problem. Does the problem always occur on the same recording? If you can identify a single recording that causes the problem, try to see if you can view the recording's details on the Beyonwiz using the INFO (i) button on the recording in the Fileplayer. Do the details in the INFO window look normal?

Also, if you are still able to operate YARDWiz after the error happens, you could also try Tools>Check recordings in YARDWiz. That should report any header.tvwiz files that aren't the correct size. It can take a few minutes to run, depending on how many recordings you have.

At the moment I can't do much testing of YARDWiz on my development setup (OS X Mavericks 10.9.1), because YARDWiz keeps crashing on me when it completes its listing of the recordings. At the end of the listing, YARDWiz pops up an error window saying "Errors occurred, see the logfile ...", but the logfile is empty. When I click on the OK button in the error popup YARDWiz exits, and I get the OS X error popup saying "YARDWiz quit unexpectedly...". My problem doesn't seem to be in getWizPnP, because the version of it in YARDWiz 0.4.4 seems to work just fine.

Luke, any ideas about the problem I'm having? Do you have a Mavericks machine to test on?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jan 01, 2014 16:27

I've been able to reproduce the symptoms that neilh described by truncating the header file header.tvwiz in the Beyonwiz, and fixed the bugs in decoding information like the episode name that caused getWizPnP to go into infinite recursion when a truncated header file was loaded.

I don't know whether the problem that neilh has is due to the header file being truncated on the Beyonwiz, or somehow truncated when it was sent over the net. However, the fixes I've put in should deal with it either way.

Ironically, the bug was in the code that was supposed to deal with cases where the header file was incomplete. :roll:

Neil, I'm still interested in trying to track down the underlying cause of the problem so I can offer you, and anyone else who has the same problem, a workaround until I can get the fix into a release of getWizPnP, and Luke can release a version of YARDWiz with the fixed getWizPnP.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

neilh

Post by neilh » Wed Jan 01, 2014 18:26

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for looking into this. In answer to your original questions, the timeout happens randomly, and over a few tests it failed when reading line 38, 43, 66, 12 and 44.
I did try Tools/Check Recordings after the Out Of Memory message, but gave up after no discernable result after 3.5 hours of processing. It may be that YARDWiz or getWizPnP has hung by this point -but there is certainly disk and processor activity happening.
Let me know if I can test anything else to assist in fixing the problem.

Thanks for your help, Neil.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jan 01, 2014 20:04

Sounds like the problem is somewhere between the Beyonwiz and getWizPnP, then. I'll try to make a Windows beta of getWizPnP available ASAP, so Luke can try a beta release of YARDWiz.

There are known problems that I can't reproduce when getWizPnP transfers data from the Beyonwiz into getWizPnP. I've only seen them reported as happening during file transfers, not while YARDWiz is collecting its index.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:02

prl wrote:Sounds like the problem is somewhere between the Beyonwiz and getWizPnP, then. I'll try to make a Windows beta of getWizPnP available ASAP, so Luke can try a beta release of YARDWiz.
The getWizPnP executable can be easily replaced with an updated version for testing without the need for an update to YARDWiz, but I've got a minor bugfix for YARDWiz 0.4.4 that I've been sitting on for a while so happy do a beta 0.4.5.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:34

Hi, Luke.

Yes, I was aware that it was possible to just "drop in" a new getWizPnP executable into YARDWiz.

Unfortunately, I have another problem that means that it looks like I can only generate a 64-bit compiled version of getWizPnP :(

Neil, are you running a 64-bit version of Windows? I could make a 64-bit beta version for you to try out if you do.

Luke, if you want to try to recreate the problem that Neil is seeing, it's pretty straight-forward. Just telnet in to the BW, cd to a recording folder (perhaps of something you have watched already :)) and do the following:

Code: Select all

mv header.tvwiz header.tvwiz.bak
dd if=header.tvwiz.bak of=header.tvwiz bs=1536 count=1
and then try to connect to the Beyonwiz with YARDWiz.

You can undo the problem by going to the same recording folder and:

Code: Select all

mv header.tvwiz.bak header.tvwiz
From what Neil has said, I don't think that that's the actual underlying cause, but it demonstrates the problem pretty well :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Sat Jan 04, 2014 08:24

I can't reproduce the problem. YARDWiz just ignores the recording with the truncated header.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:19

Luke wrote:I can't reproduce the problem. YARDWiz just ignores the recording with the truncated header.
That's what I get for doing stuff like this from memory. In the 'dd' command it should be bs=1564, not bs=1536. :roll:
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

neilh

Post by neilh » Sun Jan 05, 2014 16:36

Hi Peter, Luke,

Apologies for the slow response. Yes, I am running 64 bit Windows 7.

Also, and perhaps unsurprisingly, WizFX exhibits the same issues.

Thanks, Neil.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 17:02

neilh wrote:...
Also, and perhaps unsurprisingly, WizFX exhibits the same issues.
Just shows how common failing to check for errors is. ;) WizFX doesn't share any code with getWizPnP, though I did make some reference to its source code when I first started on getWizPnP.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Wed Jan 08, 2014 05:03

prl wrote:
Luke wrote:I can't reproduce the problem. YARDWiz just ignores the recording with the truncated header.
That's what I get for doing stuff like this from memory. In the 'dd' command it should be bs=1564, not bs=1536. :roll:
That worked (or should I say, that caused the error to happen).

neilh

Post by neilh » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:27

Hi Peter and Luke,

Just wondering if you have made any progress on this issue?
Thanks, Neil.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:03

Sorry, I haven't done anything on this for a while. I'll try to get back onto it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jan 26, 2014 17:29

Version 0.5.5 beta1 limited release

A new limited release beta version of getWizPnP is available to address the problems that neilh found. Only canned versions for Windows and OS X are available at the moment.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Sun Jan 26, 2014 21:17

A beta version of YARDWiz that includes getWizPnP 0.5.5 beta1 is available also.

Return to “Content, Software and USB”