Subtitles in ts file

Discussions on Software, File Formats and Conversion.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

bernien
Apprentice

Subtitles in ts file

Post by bernien » Tue Dec 17, 2013 21:05

If I use WixFx to download a ts file of a recorded program over my network from my DP-P1 to my computer the subtitles do not show up when I play it back over the network on my DP-P1, even without any editing. Watching the original recorded program from the DP-P1 does however have subtitle capability. Looking at the ts file "Program Information" in VideoReDo TVSuite V4 shows the following.

Subtitle: 1-1
Type DVB Teletext PID 0x240
Language eng Page 801

I can turn on and see the subtitles when the ts file is played with VideoReDo TVSuite V4 on my computer so they are definitely embedded in the video stream but will not show when played on my DP-P1.

How can I get DP-P1 subtitle capability from such a ts file?
Beyonwiz T4-2000 HDMI
Windows 10, Gb PC Network Card
TP-Link Archer VR1600v NBN Modem Router
TP-Link TL-PA8010P AV1200 Powerline Network
TP-Link TL-SG1008D Gb Eight Port switch
Samsung UA60H7000 Smart TV
Logitech Harmony 650
VideoReDo TVSuite V6

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Wed Dec 18, 2013 17:06

You can use a program called ProjectX to extract the subtitles into an SRT file which is a text file with the substitles and timings. You then make sure the video and SRT have the same file name, just different extensions and are in the same folder. The Wiz will then display the subtitles.
ProjectX is also good for cleaning up transmission errors and cutting out unwanted parts such as ads.
Not the easiest user interface but once you get used to it I find it it simple to use.

Detailed instructions in netmask's guide
http://www.openwiz.org/wiki/ProjectX

bernien
Apprentice

Post by bernien » Wed Dec 18, 2013 21:03

I was really hoping for a setting somewhere that would allow the DP-P1 to find the subtitles in the ts stream without further processing. I only very occasionally resort to turning subtitles on for short periods if there is something critical I can't quite get so spending extra effort to recover them is not worthwhile. I use VideoReDo to top and tail and remove advertisements and find it very easy and effective. It preserves timing and subtitles in the ts video stream and makes other corrections where necessary (and I have paid good money for it). It appears that the DP-P1 does not have the ability to recognize subtitles in a ts file, only in its original tvwiz files. Is that correct?
Beyonwiz T4-2000 HDMI
Logitech Harmony 650
VideoReDo TVSuite V6

bernien
Apprentice

Post by bernien » Thu Dec 19, 2013 15:38

I have now tested ProjectX and extracted an srt file. However this has limitations.

1. The DP-P1 does not recognize an srt file so it cannot be copied back to the DP-P1 hard drive from the computer
2. The DP-P1 will pay video with subtitles over the network from the computer hard drive with subtitles if the srt and ts files are named the same and in the same directory. However, the subtitles are permanently on and cannot be turned on and off as they can when playing the native twwiz files

I just want to be able to play a ts video file with embedded subtitles that I have copied back to the DP-P1 hard drive from the computer, after editing, and turn subtitles on and off at will. However this does not seem to be possible.
Beyonwiz T4-2000 HDMI
Logitech Harmony 650
VideoReDo TVSuite V6

Gully

Post by Gully » Thu Dec 19, 2013 16:30

bernien wrote:1. The DP-P1 does not recognize an srt file so it cannot be copied back to the DP-P1 hard drive from the computer
Did you check the filter setting - it needs to be on all media.
Cheers
Gully

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Thu Dec 19, 2013 17:41

bernien wrote: 2. The DP-P1 will pay video with subtitles over the network from the computer hard drive with subtitles if the srt and ts files are named the same and in the same directory. However, the subtitles are permanently on and cannot be turned on and off as they can when playing the native twwiz files

I just want to be able to play a ts video file with embedded subtitles that I have copied back to the DP-P1 hard drive from the computer, after editing, and turn subtitles on and off at will. However this does not seem to be possible.
I just tried it on my DP-P1 running 01.05.350 firmware - I can toggle srt subtitles on network files pressing the subtitle button then pressing ok. It's not quite the same user interface as with a native recording but still usable.

glow
Guru

Re: Subtitles in ts file

Post by glow » Thu Dec 19, 2013 18:07

bernien wrote:If I use WixFx to download a ts file of a recorded program over my network from my DP-P1 to my computer
A little off topic but you might like to try YARDWiz instead of WizFX.
YARDWiz is faster, plays a beep as each transfer completes, makes it easy to rename files, is more tolerant of errors and is well supported by Luke and prl.

bernien
Apprentice

Post by bernien » Fri Dec 20, 2013 08:17

Thanks Gully and glow. These hints gave me the keys for a process to get subtitles working on edited ts files. It is very clunky but it can be done if I really want to retain subtitles on an edited video file. For anyone interested here is my method.

1. Prerequisites – Network between Beyonwiz and computer; WizFX; VideoReDo TVSuite V4, PojojectX
2. Download ts file from Beyonwiz to computer using WizFX
3. Open ts file with VideoReDo TVSuite V4, remove ad’s with the aid of Ad-Detective and top and tail program to actual start and finish. Save as ts file
4. Open edited ts file in ProjectX - And once only (needs ProjectX to be opened as administrator) click on Prepare>> then for
PreSettings>PreSettings>subtitle
a. Tick against "Unicode ( UTF-8 )"
b. Under "teletext pages to decode:" type 801 (for Australia) in first box
c. For “subtitle format to decode:” chose SRT from dropdown
and for >output
d. Under "stream types to process" un-tick everything except "teletext"
Then File>Save as>OK
5. Click on the “Quick Start” button
6. Rename generated srt file to exactly the same as the ts file by deleting the [801]
7. Copy or move the ts and srt files to the Beyonwiz. This needs the all formats filter selected on the play page – Top left hand icon
8. Play the ts file. Subtitles will start immediately but can be turned off and on by Subtitles>OK>Exit. Can also play over the network from computer hard drive without copying or moving to the Beyonwiz if desired.
Beyonwiz T4-2000 HDMI
Logitech Harmony 650
VideoReDo TVSuite V6

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Fri Dec 20, 2013 09:55

Hi bernien

I'm a little curious as to why you copy the files off the Wiz, just remove ads then copy them back to the Wiz. Given the transfer rate is so slow, seems like a lot of time to copy - why not just use the Wiz cursor keys to skip ads as you are watching or cut them out on the Wiz to remove the ads. Sure it's not as accurate as editing on a PC but a lot faster than copying twice.

I copy files off if I want to keep them or watch on other devices but I also re-encode them to save space and then put them on a USB hard drive rather than copy back to the Wiz which only has limited disk space.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:07

I glow. I'm pretty sure that bernian is using an automatic ad removal program: "remove ad’s with the aid of Ad-Detective".

Since copying can be done hands-off, then that's probably a good bit quicker in terms of user-device interaction than removing the ads by hand on the Beyonwiz.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:06

prl wrote:I glow.
Really?? :lol:

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:43

madmax wrote:
prl wrote:I glow.
Really?? :lol:
Really. :shock:
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

bernien
Apprentice

Post by bernien » Sat Dec 21, 2013 08:08

glow wrote:
I'm a little curious as to why you copy the files off the Wiz, just remove ads then copy them back to the Wiz.
My motives for processing video files as I do is as follows.
1. I hate having to search for the beginning of a program and being interrupted by ad’s, even if I can skip or fast forward them, as this involves being jolted out of the watching mode and grabbing for the remote to deal with them. I prefer to sit down, press play and watch a program from start to finish relaxed and completely uninterrupted.
2. Transferring from and to the Beyonwiz, although it takes a while, is a hands off process and does not take up my time while it is happening. I just set it running and do something else.
3. VideoReDo TVSuite V4 AdDetective does a good (but not always perfect) job of identifying ad’s. It is another hands off process and I can do other things while it is running. It only takes a few minutes for most video files. I can then come back to it when I am ready to check and optimize the cuts which I can generally do in less than a minute. VideoReDo is a very easy and accurate editing tool. Far superior to either ProjectX or using the Beyonwiz.
4. It take less than five minutes of my time to get rid of 15 – 20 minutes or more of ad’s in a program, albeit spread over time, and I can then have a relaxed watch whenever I am ready.
Beyonwiz T4-2000 HDMI
Logitech Harmony 650
VideoReDo TVSuite V6

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sat Dec 21, 2013 17:07

I suppose I seem to have been doing this forever but I find transferring and then editing in ProjectX using demux mode (to clean up any transmission errors) remuxing audio and video in either MpegStreamClip or Womble and dropping the resulting mpg and srt on the network and it's done. ProjectX only takes a couple of minutes to edit out commercials and top and tail. I really like Womble to recombine as you can pop fade in's and out's.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Sat Dec 21, 2013 18:31

I've been doing this almost as long as netmask.
I got sick of the manual steps like renaming the srt file to delete the [801] so I use the postprocess command option of ProjectX to automate the rest of the workflow.
I had asked Luke to put in a post download command in YARDWiz hoping to automate everything after selecting the file to download. However because ProjectX top+tail+ad removal is a manual process I never got it quite so automated. I do like YARDWiz's beep as each download finishes so I kick off the manual steps.

Return to “Content, Software and USB”