Compatible USB Hard Drives

Discussions on Software, File Formats and Conversion.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Tue Apr 19, 2011 09:00

IanSav wrote:...
Also, as the drive is larger than 500 GB you must be running a minimum firmware revision of 01.0x.350.
Not to be confused, we are talking about an external USB disk here. So you don't need .350 firmware, although it is desirable for many reasons.

All versions of BW firmware have always supported USB disks of any size up to the limits that a Linux 2.4 kernel can support.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Apr 19, 2011 09:49

Hi, IanB,

Yes, I was having a brain fade moment. The latest firmware is only a requirement for *internal* disks greater than 500GB.

Thank you for spotting the error. :)

Regards,
Ian.

Corbitt
Apprentice

Post by Corbitt » Sun Jun 05, 2011 16:33

I wish I had read this thread before a JB HiFi "informed" sales representative told me a Seagate 1TB USB 2.0 Expansion External would work, but doesn't despite reformatting it on my PC!

I'll revert to those on the first page of this thread!

Thanks for all the other posts and tips!
Ed

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jun 05, 2011 18:11

The manufacturer's page for the Seagate Elements SE range says:
USB powered.
These drives require no power adapter because they are powered directly though the USB cable.
The manufacturer's "specifications" page for the drive is silent on its power requirements, as is becoming almost standard for manufacturers of these drives. The requirements, though, as IanSav suspects, almost certainly exceed the 500mA specified as the maximum in the USB 2.0 standard, and the maximum available from most Beyonwiz PVR USP connectors.

I don't know how they get away with the claim of USB 2.0 compliance when they routinely exceed the power specifications of the standard. When manufacturers did sometimes cite the power requirements in their specs sheets, they were often 900mA, nearly double the standard maximum. Which is why they would work with a "Y" USB cable that could draw power from two connectors.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Corbitt
Apprentice

Post by Corbitt » Sun Jun 05, 2011 21:04

Just looking online, it is getting hard to find a seperate powered USB2.0 HDD with a capacity of 750GB or less!

I'm sure I'll find someone with some old stock!
Ed

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jun 06, 2011 09:41

Corbitt wrote:Just looking online, it is getting hard to find a seperate powered USB2.0 HDD with a capacity of 750GB or less!
You can also use a powered USB hub to run a USB-powered HDD, provided the hub can supply enough power for the drive. But by then you've probably brought the cost up to that of a larger powered drive, anyway, unless you've got a spare hub lying about somewhere.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Corbitt
Apprentice

Post by Corbitt » Wed Jun 15, 2011 22:10

Well I found and purchased a recommended WD My Book Essential 750GB External Hard Drive USB 2.0 and I plugged it in assured this would work, as this is a drive categorised as "Known to work" on page 1 of this thread. But when attempting to format the HDD from the Setup System Menu, the loading messsage appears, but no HDD loads.

I swapped the cable to the front USB port, but still no HDD loads even after turning off and on the PVR.

I then check the File Player and try to save a recorded program to the HDD and as anticipated receive a "Move Failed" error message "Designated file system is read only".

Has anyone had success with the WD My Book Essential 750GB External Hard Drive and can share their experiences so that I might get this drive connected and configured to my DP-P2.

Despite being plug and play, do I have to partition and reformat this 750GB drive initially connected to my PC?

Any assistance would be appreciated by me and my 3 year old daughter!

Thanks

Ed
Ed

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jun 16, 2011 09:05

It sounds like the HDD was pre-formatted as NTFS (NTFS is read-only access on the Beyonwiz). One workaround for this is to reformat the HDD to FAT32. Windows Disk Manager in Windows 2000, Windows XP and later won't let you do that (32GB is its limit for formatting to FAT32), so you need to use a third-party FAT32 formatter like guiformat (freeware).

If you prefer, you can also set up the HDD with two partitions, one FAT32 and one NTFS. You can then copy recordings from the Beyonwiz to the FAT32 partition, and play media files larger than 4GB from the NTFS partition. You need to create the partitions in Diek Manager, and format one as NTFS, then use guiformat (or similar) to format the FAT32 partition.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Corbitt
Apprentice

Post by Corbitt » Thu Jun 16, 2011 23:18

Peter

Thanks for your response. I used guiformat to reformate the HDD to FAT32 format and checked with Micosoft Explorer that this was successful and all appeared in order. However, if I try to save to the HDD I now receive a message that it is Read Only.

And this HDD was indicated as "Known to work"! Why is nothing easy with technology? I thought cumputers were supposed to make our lives easier! :)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Ed
Ed

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Jun 17, 2011 00:25

Hi Ed,

Does the drive have its own power supply or is it powered via the USB connection?

Regards,
Ian.

Corbitt
Apprentice

Post by Corbitt » Fri Jun 17, 2011 00:30

Hi Ian
It is one of the Beyonwiz recommeded drives with its own power supply.
Regards
Ed
Ed

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Jun 17, 2011 00:38

Hi Ed,

What happens if you connect the drive and then restart the Beyonwiz?

If this works then you may not be following the disconnection instructions *exactly*. You must disconnect the drive and press the OK button exactly as indicated. There is no margin for error.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jun 17, 2011 09:16

IanSav wrote:Hi Ed,

Does the drive have its own power supply or is it powered via the USB connection?

Regards,
Ian.
The WD MyBook line are all externally powered HDDs. I've used both a 250GB Essentials and a 500GB Home Edition on my BWs. I've just checked the WD web page - the latest models of the MyBook Essential line all have a power adapter included.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Corbitt
Apprentice

Post by Corbitt » Fri Jun 17, 2011 14:23

IanSav wrote:
you may not be following the disconnection instructions *exactly*. You must disconnect the drive and press the OK button exactly as indicated. There is no margin for error.
Hi Ian, it is my recollection that there are no such instuctions in my Manual. I'll check tonight to confirm. However, are there other instructions that I should be following?

Thanks

Ed
Ed

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Jun 17, 2011 14:28

Hi Ed,

Just carefully follow the on-screen prompts. :) (When the pop up says something like disconnect the drive then press OK that is what it means. Disconnect the drive from the Beyonwiz *while* the pop up is displayed *then* press OK to dismiss the pop up. ;))

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jun 17, 2011 14:33

Corbitt wrote:
IanSav wrote:
you may not be following the disconnection instructions *exactly*. You must disconnect the drive and press the OK button exactly as indicated. There is no margin for error.
Hi Ian, it is my recollection that there are no such instuctions in my Manual. I'll check tonight to confirm. ...
There are. Chapter 6: File Playback function, Section 1: Exploring Contetns, in the NOTE section.
DP-P2 manual wrote:The USB device should be detached properly to prevent the DP-P2 experiencing any unstable operation or damage. Press the RED button to detach the selected USB device properly.
[All the other manuals have similar advice]

There's even an image to go with the advice.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Corbitt
Apprentice

Post by Corbitt » Fri Jun 17, 2011 21:31

Hi Peter and Ian

The Beyonwiz DP-P2 User Guide is limited in guidance on connecting a USB device:
- There is nothing in Chapter 3 - How to Connect that covers all connections but a USB device; and
- As you pointed out Chapter 6 - File Playback Function provides some USB device specification and how to detach properly, but I found no reference to how to connect properly. :?

Being a USB device, I incorrectly presumed it would be plug and play, as the drive is, however this is where the problem was.

I disconnected power to the Beyonwiz; connected and powered up the HDD; then powered up the Beyonwiz and BINGO problem solved! :D

Transferring files is extremely slow though! :roll:

Thanks to you both for your consideration and advice.

Regards
Ed
Ed

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jun 17, 2011 23:15

Corbitt wrote:...- As you pointed out Chapter 6 - File Playback Function provides some USB device specification and how to detach properly, but I found no reference to how to connect properly. :?
Just plug it in :)
Corbitt wrote:Being a USB device, I incorrectly presumed it would be plug and play, as the drive is, however this is where the problem was.
It's not really different in principle from Windows; you have to tell it when you want to remove a USB drive, too. Same with OS X and Linux. It's more about OS buffering of file system data than USB itself, though.
Corbitt wrote:Transferring files is extremely slow though! :roll:
I've got no argument with that!
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Jun 17, 2011 23:45

Hi Ed,

Great to hear that you got it working. :)

Regards,
Ian.

sub3R
Wizard

3.5” Seagate 2TB USB-2.0 Expansion External Drive

Post by sub3R » Wed Dec 07, 2011 13:18

I find a fairly quick test of the following USB Ext HDD on our DP-S1 running 01.05.350 f/w works, although I haven’t done any extensive testing:

3.5” Seagate 2TB USB-2.0 Expansion External Drive (externally powered), Model: ST320005EXM101-RK, PN: 9SF2A8-500 on case (PN: 9SE2M8-572 on box), DOM: 08/2011, Product of Thailand (HDD), Assembled in China, Rev:0130.

The above build contains a Seagate 3.5", 7200rpm, SATA 6Gb/s, 4096 bytes/sector, 64MB cache, 3 platter HDD model ST2000DM001.
However some of these 3.5” Seagate 2TB USB-2.0 Expansion External Drives with an earlier DOM & Product of China (HDD) contain a green 5900rpm drive - I don’t know how these work on the wiz.

Enclosure comments:
The plastic enclosure only feels slightly warm after approx 1hr of testing with Seagate’s SeaTools for Windows (although I suspect the drive could run hotter inside this plastic case than inside a good aluminium case).
The enclosure doesn’t have an ON/OFF switch.
The intensity of the small green LED is ideal for day time or night time use.
The two thin plastic side ‘wings’ on the power supply's 240V plug section prevent side by side use with another 240V plug in a double GPO (power point or some plug boards, although not an issue with the Belkin F9V000AU2m Titanium Surge Protector I use). I can’t work out what the ‘wings’ are for, except to possibly prevent two of these power supplies being plugged into a double GPO side by side - if they could I think they would sit hard against each other & possibly overheat.

(edit added):
Software downloads that work with the Expansion External Drive:
  • Western Digital’s Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows (DLGDIAG) can display the SMART Disk Information for the HDD & also display the HDD serial number & model number.
  • Seagate’s Drive Detect (drivedetect.exe) can display the enclosure’s serial number & revision number.
  • Seagate’s Drive Settings (stxSeagateDriveSettings.exe) can display the enclosure serial number & revision (firmware) number, do a basic test of the drive, display the used & free space, & display the current power saving mode (minutes of inactivity before going into power saving mode). The power saving mode can also be changed from 3min through to 5hrs in various stages, then finally to 'never' - the default being 15min.
  • Seagate’s SeaTools for Windows can display various information about the enclosure & the HDD (as well as supported drives in the PC), can carry out various tests (short, long & advanced) on the drive & carry out limited repairs. A log file is kept in the Seatool’s folder.
  • Seagate's SeaTools for DOS is an ISO image that can be burnt to a DOS bootable CD.
Brief information here & further along in the same topic here on the limited tests I gave the above drive.

See the following posts for more information on these drives.
Last edited by sub3R on Thu May 03, 2012 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis
U4, Bluey USB tuner, WizTV > Yamaha RX-V3900 > Sony KDL46X2000 TV ||
U4, Bluey USB tuner > Sony KD-43X85J TV > Yamaha YAS-209 || FTA EPG ||
Harmony 650s || (U4s on 19.3.20200901 & T2 on 19.3.20200823) ||
Technicolor DJA0230TLS modem/router, Ethernet LAN, Win10 Home 64 ||

maciekwolf
On probation

Re: 3.5” Seagate 2TB USB-2.0 Expansion External Drive

Post by maciekwolf » Thu May 03, 2012 13:51

I find a fairly quick test of the following USB Ext HDD on our DP-S1 running 01.05.350 f/w works
Hello fellow beyonwizers! Long time reader first time contributor here. Thank you so much to all the forum members sharing tips and tricks, has helped me many times :)

Recently my newly purchased P2 1TB (upgrade from a P1) started playing up locking on timer wake. I was going to ask Mark for help as I'm in Perth and it seems likely power supply related and as I understand he is a complete guru on these issues. But seeing as it was still under warranty I decided to send it back for repair. The prospect of being stuck without a PVR for some weeks has made me convert my H1 into a recording machine, thing I've being putting off because of the perceived incompatibility with newer, bigger drives. Sub3R's post gave me hope though with this current model Seagate and I went ahead and bought the 2 TB model.

This thing works like a charm! After I let my H1 format it and register it is fully functional. On the H1 all systems are go: recording, timeshifting, caching of IceGuide so it's available straight after boot, WizPnP streaming. I was able to transfer some recordings off the P2 to the recording folder and have them available and streamable on the H1 after forced indexing. I can even make edits to the files (trimming, bookmarks) on the external HDD while connected to the P2 and have them seamlessly recognised when plugged back to the H1.

In fact the only thing I couldn't reliably do is transfer large number of recordings continuously overnight, I had to restart the stalled copying. Maybe it's due to the faulty P2 but I suspect it only occurs when the batch transfer includes large recordings say over 5GB. With the tiny transfer rate of the wizzes such files would take over half an hour each and maybe some power saving kicks in on the Seagate not having received a stay awake instruction for this long, or something. Of course I know Wiz recordings are saved as sequences of 32MB files so this theory seems suspect. But a few times after the transfer stalled (and Wiz hang) I found the drive in some power saving mode with the LED slowly pulsating like on a sleeping laptop.

As sub3R noted the drive doesn't have an off switch but this is not a problem as it turns off and on with the wiz. The LED is blinking when accessing the drive and steady otherwise and the power saving mode I described above doesn't kick in normally even sitting in file player or settings menu for hours. I have to note that having read these USB related posts I very carefully follow the disconnect - reconnect sequences and haven't had a problem with the connected drive not being available in file player yet. With the H1 I always disconnect - reconnect with the unit off.

Now if only I can find a way of mounting this thing on windows so I could (quickly 30MB/s as opposed to 3MB/s) move some mp4 movies off my pc and into the content folder where they would be streamable on the WizPnP network. I understand such a thing could be done on *nix or mac but there must be a windows solution to this, surely a third party driver or some such should be able to take care of the nonstandard FAT32 sector sizes. Have any of you experimented with such utilities? I want to leave the file system as is formatted by the wiz without any partitioning so it can all be visible on the H1 as a registered drive and therefore streamable. In absence of such a windows utility can any of you recommend some tested linux live distros that would write to a wiz formatted USB connected drive and read from NTFS disks?

I hope this helps the next person who comes looking for a compatible current model USB drive :)

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Thu May 03, 2012 16:25

Hi maciekwolf, welcome. Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately I didn’t carry out extensive testing on the wiz with that particular external drive; from memory I only copied a few recordings from the wiz’s internal drive to the external drive & vice versa. I mainly bought them to be connected to the PC as additional backup for the PC & for storing certain wiz recordings so they can be played back on either wiz. Hopefully they will be reliable, though I don’t have a lot of faith in HDDs these days.

There is one thing you could try to narrow down the recording transfer problem, providing you don’t have a lot of unwatched recordings on the drive. Temporarily reformat the drive to NTFS on a PC then to Windows FAT-32 using something like ‘guiformat.exe’ (the Windows GUI version of ‘fat32format.exe’ from www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ ), then disable the power saving mode with Seagate’s Drive Settings (stxSeagateDriveSettings.exe). Without reformatting on the P2 try transferring a reasonably large number of recordings, if it still fails after this it should rule out the drive going into power saving mode.

In regards to the green LED on the drive when connected to the PC – in power saving mode it slowly flashes dimly at a rate of approx 2 to 3sec. When it is being accessed the LED flashes brighter at a rate of approx 1sec & remains lit when out of power saving mode & not being accessed.
Dennis

maciekwolf
On probation

Post by maciekwolf » Fri May 04, 2012 02:06

There is one thing you could try to narrow down the recording transfer problem, providing you don’t have a lot of unwatched recordings on the drive. Temporarily reformat the drive to NTFS on a PC then to Windows FAT-32 using something like ‘guiformat.exe’ (the Windows GUI version of ‘fat32format.exe’ from www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ ), then disable the power saving mode with Seagate’s Drive Settings (stxSeagateDriveSettings.exe). Without reformatting on the P2 try transferring a reasonably large number of recordings, if it still fails after this it should rule out the drive going into power saving mode.
Thanks for that idea. I do have recordings on the drive now and moving them around is a pain. Do you think I could try the stxSeagateDriveSettings.exe without reformatting, wouldn't the Seagate utility be able to access the drive's firmware directly? I don't have my P2 now so I can't at the moment do any more transfer tests anyway. Just to confirm you didn't encounter these stalled transfer problems with your S1?

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Fri May 04, 2012 15:45

maciekwolf wrote:...
Do you think I could try the stxSeagateDriveSettings.exe without reformatting, wouldn't the Seagate utility be able to access the drive's firmware directly?
I haven’t tried that but it would be worth a go & would save some work if it did access the drive. I know Windows Explorer won’t read a Wiz internal HDD (& probably a H1 system drive - I don’t know much about H1s), I have used a linux boot CD for this. As you would probably be aware, if you do need to reformat the drive from a wiz system drive to allow Windows to read it; in WinXP you can do this via ‘Start > Control panel > Administrative tools > Computer management > Disk management’.
maciekwolf wrote:...
Just to confirm you didn't encounter these stalled transfer problems with your S1?
No copy problems at all, but I only tried a few short recordings - follow the links near the bottom of my earlier description post to read about the files I copied.

I have always formatted the external drives for the S1s (older drives in external cases) with the PC instead of with the wiz, mainly so I can have a FAT-32 & NTFS partition. Except for the problems experienced here with these drive combinations I can’t remember a copy failing or causing either S1 to hang. I still have the Vantec external HDD cases mentioned in that post connected to the S1s but they rarely get used these days, I prefer to use YARDWiz to copy from the S1 to one of the Seagate expansion external drives on the PC. This way I can get reliable HD recording streaming to either S1 over Ethernet LAN when required, even with both S1s being used, whereas HD streaming from one wiz to another wiz isn’t so reliable (SD recording streaming wiz to wiz is usually fine). Some users use a NAS instead of a PC external HDD.

One thing to think about when trying to narrow the transfer problem down - does the P2 only hang when copying recordings to the external drive or does it randomly crash during other functions (except extensive FTA EPG navigation, which is a known bug)?
Dennis

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 04, 2012 16:52

sub3R wrote:... I know Windows Explorer won’t read a Wiz internal HDD (& probably a H1 system drive - I don’t know much about H1s), I have used a linux boot CD for this.
It's the same for a DP-H1 recording HDD (both that it's not recognised by Windows, and that it can be accessed read/write on Linux and OS X). And it's not just Windows Explorer that doesn't recognise it; Disk Management doesn't either - it sees the partition but doesn't recognise the format.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Fri May 04, 2012 17:46

Thanks Peter, I was hoping you would clarify that.

From memory, to reformat a wiz system or recording drive in WinXP to FAT-32; I had to delete the existing partition under Disk Management, create a new primary partition (or two if I wanted two different partitions), format as NTFS, then format as FAT-32 using a 3rd party utility such as ‘guiformat.exe’.

Tip: I find it pays to run ‘chkdsk/r’ for the drive from the command prompt after a quick format, which can take some time on a large drive.
Dennis

niamhie
On probation

FV-L1 won't recognise WD My Book for Mac 2TB external drive

Post by niamhie » Sun Jun 30, 2013 20:13

Hi peoples.
I recently bought a WD My book for Mac 2TB to store my movies on. I have used WD drives before with my FV-L1 set top box and never had any problems. Now I have a problem! It does not recognise my WD My book when I connect it. I have contacted both WD tech support & Beyonwiz tech support and nether can help me. I looked and noticed that the WD My Book for Mac has a different format to my previous WD drives, (originals had MS-DOS (FAT 32), the My Book has MAC OS Extended (journaled) - could this be the problem. If I reformat the new WD hard drive will the set top box recognise it?

I realise this means I will erase all that is on the drive, but I still have access (for a little while) to the original drives that I copied them from. Advice please! I don't want to have to exchange the new drive, I just want it to work!!
niamhie

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Jun 30, 2013 20:18

Hi Niamhie,

Welcome!

The Beyonwiz can read FAT32 and NTFS and write to FAT32 disk formats only. Mac formats won't work.

Regards,
Ian.

Return to “Content, Software and USB”