T3 able to play P2 files?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

dddp
Master

T3 able to play P2 files?

Post by dddp » Tue Apr 01, 2014 13:27

be nice if it can - i'd like to connect my P2 drive to the T3 and copy across a bunch of files i'd like to have on the T3 internal HDD

i was thinking of pulling my P2 drive out of my P2 and putting it in an external usb box and plugging it into the T3. Then after the copying process is complete, put the P2 drive back in the P2

be nice if the T3 converted the P2 files to T3 format during transfer to the T3 too, of if not ( and i don't think it can) the T3 be able to play the P2 files

can any of this this be done?
DP-P2 320gb version now running with a (edit 500gb) 1 TB HDD - yep, 3rd HDD lol. Plus another P2 running a 1TB PVR rated HDD. Plus a 320gb Dealspace FL-V1 running DP-P1 firmware.

prl
Wizard God

Re: T3 able to play P2 files?

Post by prl » Tue Apr 01, 2014 14:20

The beta testers have full Linux command line access to the T3. I don't know if that will be the case for production models.
dddp wrote:be nice if it can - i'd like to connect my P2 drive to the T3 and copy across a bunch of files i'd like to have on the T3 internal HDD

i was thinking of pulling my P2 drive out of my P2 and putting it in an external usb box and plugging it into the T3. Then after the copying process is complete, put the P2 drive back in the P2
You should be able to copy media files that way through the T3 GUI. Not DP series recordings, though. You can copy the files that make up the DP recordings in the command-line interface, but they won't be playable copied that way.

The files that make up a Beyonwiz recording need to be converted into a single file and given a .mpeg or .ts extension to be playable on the T3. I discussed how that can be done here. Using getWizPnP on the T3 to join the recording files together isn't practical on the T3. The method using "cat" is untested on the T3, but may work, or may be able to be made to work. Again, this requires command-line access to the T3. Using "cat" will only work reliably on unedited recordings, or on recordings that have been at most "topped-and-tailed".
dddp wrote:be nice if the T3 converted the P2 files to T3 format during transfer to the T3 too, of if not ( and i don't think it can) the T3 be able to play the P2 files
dddp wrote:can any of this this be done?
Probably, but at the moment probably rather less conveniently than you'd like. It's a pity that there isn't better backward compatibility to the DP series. Perhaps that will come, but much of the need for it will be at the start of life of the T3.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Apr 01, 2014 14:56

Why not run getWizPnP on the T3? The files could be converted as they are being copied from the P2 drive to the T3. Perl is available, what else would be needed? (Besides a UI).

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Apr 01, 2014 16:46

peteru wrote:Why not run getWizPnP on the T3? The files could be converted as they are being copied from the P2 drive to the T3. Perl is available, what else would be needed? (Besides a UI).
Perl wasn't there when I tried it. If it can be loaded as a package, then sure.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

dddp
Master

Post by dddp » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:32

peteru wrote:Why not run getWizPnP on the T3? The files could be converted as they are being copied from the P2 drive to the T3. Perl is available, what else would be needed? (Besides a UI).
sounds like the go to me - much better than transferring from P2 to Pc and then to T3

i'd imagine there'd be a viable market for this functionality if someone was to develop it, i'd buy it 8)
DP-P2 320gb version now running with a (edit 500gb) 1 TB HDD - yep, 3rd HDD lol. Plus another P2 running a 1TB PVR rated HDD. Plus a 320gb Dealspace FL-V1 running DP-P1 firmware.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:23

dddp wrote:
sounds like the go to me - much better than transferring from P2 to Pc and then to T3

i'd imagine there'd be a viable market for this functionality if someone was to develop it, i'd buy it 8)
I'm afraid that getWizPnP is only available for free. I have a feeling that it may be tricky to make a shrink-wrapped version of getWizPnP for the T3, though. I'm not sure whether there'd be a version of PerlPackager for it.

[peteru] There is, of course, already a UI for getWizPnP on the T3. It's called the Linux shell. Oh, wait; did you mean GUI? :P
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Pre-release Discussion”