multiple OS install / run via beyonwiz?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

jawbraeka2
Apprentice

booting another OS.

Post by jawbraeka2 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:38

Can we have an option to be able to boot from another OS from another hard drive/USB/network.. I can see this piece of hardware being able to do it to launch android.

I understand that Linux is the main OS but to have that option would be great too.. I mean to have a PVR with the option of a multi boot to other OS would be insane.

dpgburley
Apprentice

Re: multiple OS install / run via beyonwiz?

Post by dpgburley » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:51

What did you want to do with the 'other os'? (you mention Android, but there may be others that suit better)

Underneath is a modified Open Embedded (http://www.openembedded.org) environment, which is very capable, albeit you need to either install extra packages, or build them yourself, so in many ways you might find that you can use the existing OS and just add extra packages/run extra services as you need.

To add packages not in the oe repos you will need to set up a cross compilation build environment or use the SDK targeting mips32. If you were to look to dual/multi boot, you'd need to roll a firmware or your own which comes with headaches of boot loaders, disk partitioning as well as having something for the cpu architecture on your specific box.... not impossible, but by no means trivial....

Return to “Pre-release Discussion”