on screen menu's

Moderators: Gully, peteru

10pinto
Apprentice

on screen menu's

Post by 10pinto » Tue Mar 18, 2014 15:17

can some put up some screen shots of the menu's. Or can one of the testers put up a youtube video with a review.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Re: on screen menu's

Post by peteru » Tue Mar 18, 2014 21:58

The current skin is still undergoing changes, so the release firmware may end up looking different to what is there now.

Also, the user interface will change depending on whether you enable the Easy, Intermediate or Expert mode.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

jawbraeka2
Apprentice

Post by jawbraeka2 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:46

10pinto wrote:can some put up some screen shots of the menu's. Or can one of the testers put up a youtube video with a review.
I 2nd this.. To see some some beta screenshots would be great.. Perhaps some hardware shots too.

SkipR

Post by SkipR » Mon May 05, 2014 02:37

jawbraeka2 wrote:
I 2nd this.. To see some some beta screenshots would be great.. Perhaps some hardware shots too.
I am keen to see if lessons have been learned from the DP series user interface. I have watched one family member suffer for years the badly designed file management interface and have myself been puzzled at its non intuitive design. I hope to see those menu and pop-up boxes redesigned. Recognizing on the screen where the menus and buttons are should not be guessing game for the first time user. The file manager user interfaces on virtually every other device is superior to the DP series except for those low end set top boxes with recording functionality. My other keen interest is to see button groups on the remote are logical in particular "pause/play/stop/FF/Rewind" all close together.
DP-P2 since 2010

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Mon May 05, 2014 07:52

SkipR wrote:The file manager user interfaces on virtually every other device is superior to the DP series except for those low end set top boxes with recording functionality. My other keen interest is to see button groups on the remote are logical in particular "pause/play/stop/FF/Rewind" all close together.
Given the time since the DP release, I expect the new interface to much more modern and intuitive.
The skipping ability of BWs makes FF/REW almost redundant, but the STOP and PAUSE buttons need to be prominent and well placed - maybe near the skip buttons?
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

SkipR

Post by SkipR » Tue May 06, 2014 06:14

Paul55 wrote: The skipping ability of BWs makes FF/REW almost redundant, but the STOP and PAUSE buttons need to be prominent and well placed - maybe near the skip buttons?
Correct me if I am wrong but when I first read about Freeview compliance requirements see wiki http://bit.ly/1njtK67 they prohibited devices doing timed jumps and only FF/REW are allowed. I read in the forums these new T3 series devices have Freeview so are they going to cripple the "skip" feature. I have hated Freeview devices solely for this reason.
DP-P2 since 2010

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Tue May 06, 2014 07:15

SkipR wrote:I read in the forums these new T3 series devices have Freeview so are they going to cripple the "skip" feature. I have hated Freeview devices solely for this reason.
I've read the exact opposite - the T3 is NOT Freeview compliant/crippled.
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue May 06, 2014 12:01

Paul55 wrote:
SkipR wrote:I read in the forums these new T3 series devices have Freeview so are they going to cripple the "skip" feature. I have hated Freeview devices solely for this reason.
I've read the exact opposite - the T3 is NOT Freeview compliant/crippled.
Not only that, but the T3 already has user-customisable skips, and I've heard nothing to suggest that they will be removed. In fact the opposite, my understanding is that the intention is to make the use of skips easier in timeshift.

It also has no restrictions on copying non-DRMed recordings off the device. In fact it has more facilities for this than the DP series had.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Gully

Post by Gully » Tue May 06, 2014 12:58

The T3 is not a Freeview machine but it does support some of the new features that FreeviewPlus are promoting at the moment like catch up TV.
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue May 06, 2014 13:12

Gully wrote:The T3 is not a Freeview machine but it does support some of the new features that FreeviewPlus are promoting at the moment like catch up TV.
That's news to me. What's the interface? Please don't point me at the Web browser, because I've tried that for ABC iView, SBS On Demand and Ten's Tenplay, with only frustration as my reward (because we really did want to watch the catchup TV on the couch rather than huddled around my desk).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue May 06, 2014 13:47

prl wrote:
Gully wrote:The T3 is not a Freeview machine but it does support some of the new features that FreeviewPlus are promoting at the moment like catch up TV.
That's news to me. What's the interface?
HbbTV.

FreeView+ site is now serving content, but it's still not working properly. You can now get as far as telling them your postcode! No privacy policy - dodgy!

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue May 06, 2014 14:32

peteru wrote:...
HbbTV.

FreeView+ site is now serving content, but it's still not working properly. You can now get as far as telling them your postcode! No privacy policy - dodgy!
Not yet, apparently, in the boondocks of the national capital. I now get the HbbTV icon on the SBS infobar, but BLUE>HbbTV Applications from live TV just goes straight back to live TV.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Wiz HQ
Site Admin

Post by Wiz HQ » Tue May 06, 2014 16:55

prl wrote:
peteru wrote:...
HbbTV.

Not yet, apparently, in the boondocks of the national capital. I now get the HbbTV icon on the SBS infobar, but BLUE>HbbTV Applications from live TV just goes straight back to live TV.
Reboot and try again.
Regards,

Wiz HQ
Forum Admin

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue May 06, 2014 17:56

Wiz HQ wrote:
prl wrote: Not yet, apparently, in the boondocks of the national capital. I now get the HbbTV icon on the SBS infobar, but BLUE>HbbTV Applications from live TV just goes straight back to live TV.
Reboot and try again.
Yes, now I can get into the SBS HbbTV application, It's certainly slow and clunky, but at least navigation seems to work a lot better than in the T3 Web browser.

However, when I go into the FreeViewPlus part of the app, and it asks me to enter my postcode, there's no risk of be giving away any personal information. I'm in the ACT and my postcode is 26xx, but when i click on the 2 on the remote, it displays a 2, and then after a short pause, it enters another 2 of its own accord. When I press the 6, the same thing happens, so after entering 2, 6, I have 2266 in the postcode and the UI thinks the postcode entry is complete.

BTW, peteru, my memory from when I needed to care about the Privacy Act, collecting only a postcode postcode information from an individual would not be considered as personal information. All sorts of places ask for postcodes for their stats and make no mention of privacy or have theit privacy policy displayed where the information is collected.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Pre-release Discussion”