IceTV????

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Wayne
On probation

Re: IceTV????

Post by Wayne » Fri May 16, 2014 20:21

BikeMike wrote:Just got an email from Ice sales, offering "4 years of IceTV for just $149".
It would be interesting to know if they've somehow identified and targeted T3 owners
Ice know by the devices you've registered to connect to the guide, more likely your older DP2 box. I'd say it would be beneficial if people who receive the offer respond letting IceTV know how important a T3 solution is.

BikeMike
Apprentice

Post by BikeMike » Sat May 17, 2014 21:05

I received this response from IceTV today...
Hi Mike,
Thank you for contacting IceTV Customer Support
There is an excellent chance that IceTV will be available on the Beyonwiz T3, though it isn't a done deal just yet.
Best Regards,
Dave
IceTV Service
I'll bet that if a deal is done, the $149 offer will have expired.

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Fri May 23, 2014 11:19

A post on a different forum stated that the forthcoming (due for release on 4th June) Humax 4 tuner PVR will be IceTV compatible. If true, this can't be good news for Beyonwiz.
This would seem to put paid to the argument that IceTV are reluctant to restrict their service in order to benefit their own (Ice) PVR.
Hopefully this will provide the impetus to resolve the IceTV/T3 problem.

There was a post from a moderator?? a couple of weeks back suggesting an imminent resolution - any more news or feedback?
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

cwiggles
Master

Post by cwiggles » Fri May 23, 2014 12:57

Well I'll just throw in a completely wild suggestion of which I have no information to back it up, but perhaps BW are going to operate their own IceTV like service? If Ice are getting into the PVR market, why not BW? The fact ICET won their court case against the commercial station cabal, the precedent has been set. Anyway there are probably lots of reasons why BW wont do this, the most obvious being cost. I assume to have the infrastructure in place to run a IceTV like service is quite expensive, but then again services like AWS can make such undertakings a lot more cost effective to run. Anyway, pure 120% speculation on my part.

Craig
VU+ DUO2 (running OpenATV 7.1)
DP-Litei
Sharp Aquos 46" LED TV, Sony BPD-270 Bluray Player

Rockets
Master

Post by Rockets » Fri May 23, 2014 20:39

Paul55 wrote:A post on a different forum stated that the forthcoming (due for release on 4th June) Humax 4 tuner PVR will be IceTV compatible. If true, this can't be good news for Beyonwiz.
This would seem to put paid to the argument that IceTV are reluctant to restrict their service in order to benefit their own (Ice) PVR.
Hopefully this will provide the impetus to resolve the IceTV/T3 problem.

There was a post from a moderator?? a couple of weeks back suggesting an imminent resolution - any more news or feedback?
Paul

That IceTV 4 tune post was by me. I've also posted various questions on Humax AU Facebook page. Humax have responded to me directly saying they can't confirm IceTV for 4 tune yet as they haven't announced that the 4 tune supports it. But they have also said they will only confirm announced details on Facebook. I asked for RRP and retailers and they won't say. Basically Humax are drip feeding details to potential customers "to build excitement". I also received a reply to my Humax directed asked question on Facebook from another user who reported he had contacted IceTV directly and they reported they were supporting 4 tune. So take that with a grain of salt of doubt because I just don't trust IceTV any more. IceTV with their IceCUBE vapourware said they'd support T3 too and look at where that is at. I've emailed IceTV a support email over 3 days ago and haven't had a reply yet either. I really want a 4 tuner PVR that has IceTV support, ideally the T3, but right now I think I'm dreaming. IceTV aren't giving me any reason to renew either so I may just jump on T3 yet.

Rockets
Rockets
Beyonwiz T3 1TB - DP-P1
Denon 3312 - Bi-Amped Epos ELS 303 Floor Standers, Athena LSC50 Centre
Samsung UA50F5000 50" LCD
Foxtel IQ2, OpenELEC NUC, AppleTV4K

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Fri May 23, 2014 21:17

Rockets wrote:I just don't trust IceTV any more. IceTV with their IceCUBE vapourware said they'd support T3 too and look at where that is at
I share your suspicions - but that's all they are. We don't know why negotiations between IceTV and Beyonwiz (DTC) broke down. Both parties as well as customers seem to be suffering from this pi$$ing contest.
My point was that, if the Humax gets IceTV, it takes some of the suspicion away from Ice.
On the other hand, if IceTV were requiring Beyonwiz to stump up some $$$, how would a retrospective Ice capability work? I just can't see this ending well for customers. I'm no fan of Humax and the IceCube is unproven (and that's being generous). I'm also no fan of anti-competitive practices - if that's what Ice are employing. On the other hand, I consider loss of IceTV capability as a retrograde step.
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri May 23, 2014 22:16

Paul55 wrote:On the other hand, if IceTV were requiring Beyonwiz to stump up some $$$, how would a retrospective Ice capability work?
I don't understand that point. Given the flexibility of the T3 (plugins, etc), there is nothing in the T3 stopping the addition of IceTV or other enhancements.
Cheers
Gully

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Fri May 23, 2014 23:11

Gully wrote:
Paul55 wrote:On the other hand, if IceTV were requiring Beyonwiz to stump up some $$$, how would a retrospective Ice capability work?
I don't understand that point. Given the flexibility of the T3 (plugins, etc), there is nothing in the T3 stopping the addition of IceTV or other enhancements.
My point is that if IceTV was demanding some sort of financial consideration (from Beyonwiz) for developing/allowing/licensing IceTV on the T3, it is reasonable to assume the cost would be incorporated into the T3 pricing.
This means a different cost base for current vs future owners. It is assumed current owners would have the option to access IceTV.
Of course, I don't know if my scenario is at all accurate because neither IceTV nor Beyonwiz have provided any real information about the failed negotiations. As usual, when information is withheld, people start guessing.
Obviously a firmware implementation would require close cooperation between the two parties. Is this also true for plugins?
Will Beyonwiz just say that the ball is in IceTV's court and it's up to them to develop a plugin? If so, why was there a need for the initial negotiation?
It's all very confusing to customers who can't understand why they are being made to choose between IceTV and the T3. From what we've been able to glean, it's not a technical problem but an ego/greed issue.
I still have my Toppy and BWs, so I took advantage of the recent 4 year subscription offer. This makes me even less likely to consider a non-Ice PVR in the medium term and I'm sure there are many more potential T3 buyers in the same boat.

greentea
Apprentice

Post by greentea » Sat May 24, 2014 00:31

Paul55 wrote: ...It's all very confusing to customers who can't understand why they are being made to choose between IceTV and the T3. From what we've been able to glean, it's not a technical problem but an ego/greed issue.

I still have my Toppy and BWs, so I took advantage of the recent 4 year subscription offer. This makes me even less likely to consider a non-Ice PVR in the medium term and I'm sure there are many more potential T3 buyers in the same boat.
"an ego/greed issue"

-Or possibly something closely related to that –ie: a marketing advantage that IceTV may be wishing to bring about for themselves.

If IceTV are asking a fee from DPG for the licencing of IceTV that causes DPG to have to increase the price of the T3, then that would create a marketing advantage to IceTV for their own forthcoming PVR product –since it wouldn’t need to have this fee included. Ergo –a price advantage.

Just a thought…

BikeMike
Apprentice

Post by BikeMike » Sat May 24, 2014 09:30

What is to stop anyone writing a plugin that emulates a DP-P1 for example, to access IceTV from the T3?

Is anyone working on this... where can we get info on developing our own plugins? I'm happy to contribute some time to it.

Rockets
Master

Post by Rockets » Sat May 24, 2014 10:15

BikeMike wrote:What is to stop anyone writing a plugin that emulates a DP-P1 for example, to access IceTV from the T3?

Is anyone working on this... where can we get info on developing our own plugins? I'm happy to contribute some time to it.
IceTV picks up a timer conflict if I have 3 timers across 3 networks for the same time slot for the DP series. As T3 has more tuners I think the IceTV backend would need to make the distinction between the DP series and T3 for the timer conflicts. Plus the T3 can be 3 or 4 tuners. I think emulating a DP series would work but you could be limiting the T3 to 2 tuner functionality for recording. Otherwise the plugin could use just the EPG data from IceTV (which has the repeat flag) and then use the T3's current Smart Timers could be a work around to the tuner issue. Other IceTV features like remote record and series recording would be lost. You could also be in breach of the IceTV EULA. There's already code supplied to just download EPG data for MythTV which could be a place to start after reading the EULA. There's also a Perl grabber here: http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/201 ... rl-grabber
Rockets
Beyonwiz T3 1TB - DP-P1

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 24, 2014 10:36

BikeMike wrote:What is to stop anyone writing a plugin that emulates a DP-P1 for example, to access IceTV from the T3? ...
IceTV Terms and Conditions:
IceTV Terms and Conditions wrote:9. Copyright and all other intellectual property rights in the Content belong to IceTV. The license granted in this Agreement does not give you any right to deal with the Content and, in particular, you must not: ... (e) without written permission from IceTV, use the content with any software or device that is not listed by IceTV as supported software or device ...
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 24, 2014 10:43

Rockets wrote:... IceTV picks up a timer conflict if I have 3 timers across 3 networks for the same time slot for the DP series.
Actually, you'll get failed timer errors on the DP series for more than two simultaneous recordings, no matter how they are distributed across networks.
Rockets wrote:As T3 has more tuners I think the IceTV backend would need to make the distinction between the DP series and T3 for the timer conflicts. ...
As far as I can tell, IceTV has no model of tuner numbers, tuner allocation or even of the allowed number of simultaneous recordings built into its system for PVR devices. It simply sends the timers that correspond to the user's selections, and if the device at the other end can't set a timer, the device sends an error message back, and you get the yellow triangle for that recording.

Conflicts are only detected after IceTV has communicated with the PVR.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Rockets
Master

Post by Rockets » Sat May 24, 2014 11:33

Paul55 wrote:
My point is that if IceTV was demanding some sort of financial consideration (from Beyonwiz) for developing/allowing/licensing IceTV on the T3, it is reasonable to assume the cost would be incorporated into the T3 pricing.
This means a different cost base for current vs future owners. It is assumed current owners would have the option to access IceTV.
Of course, I don't know if my scenario is at all accurate because neither IceTV nor Beyonwiz have provided any real information about the failed negotiations. As usual, when information is withheld, people start guessing.
Obviously a firmware implementation would require close cooperation between the two parties. Is this also true for plugins?
Will Beyonwiz just say that the ball is in IceTV's court and it's up to them to develop a plugin? If so, why was there a need for the initial negotiation?
It's all very confusing to customers who can't understand why they are being made to choose between IceTV and the T3. From what we've been able to glean, it's not a technical problem but an ego/greed issue.
Personally I think IceTV did ask for remuneration as they may have required to change some backend code change on their side because the T3 can be 3 or 4 tuners. Where as they may have only supported 2 or 4 tuners on the backend based on the forth coming IceCUBE & Humax 4 tune being 4 tuners only. This remuneration may have been more than DPG was willing to pay or afford with all the expense of launching a new product. IceTV are probably dealing with cost pressures too due to the blow out in development time of the IceCUBE PVR. This is all speculation of course. We may never know.
Rockets
Beyonwiz T3 1TB - DP-P1

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 24, 2014 12:15

Arguments in the absence of facts are always so entertaining.

My understanding, as I expressed it above, is that the IceTV system simply relies on the client end trying to create a timer for IceTV and reporting back whether the timer was set or not. That principle doesn't really seem to be affected by either the number of tuners or the number of allowed simultaneous recordings. IceTV already works on one- and two-tuner Beyonwizes, and on two-tuner, four recording Topfields, for that matter.

There will undoubtedly be costs involved with implementing IceTV on the T3, but I don't think the number of tuners or the number of simultaneous recordings would play a large part in that.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Rockets
Master

Post by Rockets » Sat May 24, 2014 13:26

prl wrote:Arguments in the absence of facts are always so entertaining.
Oh but they are so much fun and natural human behaviour. How else would the gossip rags survive.

But being serious now I have zero faith in the evil Freeview consortium's FTA EPG being relied on at all. They hate PVR's like the T3. An independent accurate EPG feed is a must for me personally. I only use my DP-P1 as a PVR. I rarely watch live TV and heavily rely on series recording with AD skipping. We aren't a slave to the networks schedule and can watch more in less time. Unfortunately my DP-P1 remote is really showing it's age and being unresponsive to key presses. I could repair it or buy a new one but I'd also like to have better SD picture quality too as the DP-P1 does drop field. With Freeview seemingly not going to move anytime soon back to a HD feed for their primary channel with all the content I actually want to watch on I'm in a bind. I really want the T3 but I've been stung before on future firmware promises with other hardware vendors so I don't buy now till the firmware has the required feature in it is available. At this point in time this really only leaves the Humax 4 tune as a viable option based on my needs and availability. I don't really want to move to Humax as Beyonwiz has been great in supporting the DP series for as long as they have. The T3 is just too late for me now. I've spent 18 months testing and evaluating all of the software based PVR options and the DP-P1 with IceTV always just works better with a higher WAF which is critical. Heaven help me if a timer doesn't record her shows. I have to manually check the IQ2 every week that it hasn't dropped a series link like it is want to do more often than I like and a long standing issue. Hopefully the IQ3 will be better in this regard.

I think that just turned in to a bit of a rant on my soapbox....
Rockets
Beyonwiz T3 1TB - DP-P1

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Sat May 24, 2014 13:58

Rockets wrote:At this point in time this really only leaves the Humax 4 tune as a viable option based on my needs and availability. I don't really want to move to Humax as Beyonwiz has been great in supporting the DP series for as long as they have. The T3 is just too late for me now. I've spent 18 months testing and evaluating all of the software based PVR options and the DP-P1 with IceTV always just works better with a higher WAF which is critical. Heaven help me if a timer doesn't record her shows.
You call that a rant???? Very poor effort!

Seriously though, why not get a replacement remote (Beyonwiz or Harmony) and a DP-P2. Much cheaper , no remote conflict, no learning curve or loss of WAF, redundancy if one machine needs repair/replacement, same bulletproof IceTV recording and they can play each others recordings so they don't need to be in the same room if you prefer.
Then, if/when IceTV becomes available on the T3, you have a choice of newer technology (and, if historical PVR pricing trends continue, the T3 will probably reduce in price by almost the cost of a P2).

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat May 24, 2014 14:00

Rockets wrote:I really want the T3 but I've been stung before on future firmware promises with other hardware vendors so I don't buy now till the firmware has the required feature in it is available. At this point in time this really only leaves the Humax 4 tune as a viable option based on my needs and availability.
From your posts, I would have thought the Humax is just as much a promised/potential feature of IceTV as the T3 is.
Cheers
Gully

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Sat May 24, 2014 14:01

Rockets wrote:I have zero faith in the evil Freeview consortium's FTA EPG being relied on at all. They hate PVR's like the T3. An independent accurate EPG feed is a must for me personally.
This concerns me too. Using the FTA guide is putting the T3 at the mercy of the enemy.
Or maybe the government will pull the networks into line and enforce an accurate FTA EPG - Oh look! a flock of flying pigs.

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Sat May 24, 2014 14:04

Gully wrote:the Humax is just as much a promised/potential feature of IceTV as the T3 is.
Got to agree there. After all the IceTV promises for the T3, I'll believe it when I see it. However, when I see it I WILL believe it.

Rockets
Master

Post by Rockets » Sat May 24, 2014 17:09

Gully wrote:From your posts, I would have thought the Humax is just as much a promised/potential feature of IceTV as the T3 is.
I'll believe when I see it too and until such wont make a firm commitment either. However the last two models of Humax 7500 & 7510 have both supported it and the 7500 at launch could be bought with a lifetime IceTV subscription for $99. Humax are massive in Europe so to me it looks like they have deeper pockets to bring products to market and have a better relationship with IceTV than DPG right now so the odds of 4 tune supporting IceTV look pretty good to me. But never say never.
Paul55 wrote:Seriously though, why not get a replacement remote (Beyonwiz or Harmony) and a DP-P2. Much cheaper , no remote conflict, no learning curve or loss of WAF, redundancy if one machine needs repair/replacement, same bulletproof IceTV recording and they can play each others recordings so they don't need to be in the same room if you prefer.
Then, if/when IceTV becomes available on the T3, you have a choice of newer technology (and, if historical PVR pricing trends continue, the T3 will probably reduce in price by almost the cost of a P2).
I tried Harmony and hated it, never got the Wife's support which made it even worse. I use the Denon 3312 AMP remote and it's universal features for most things which it provides just enough functionality for use for our other devices and we use two remotes when watching FTA with the P1. Works well for us.

I also want more than 2 tuners, but not two Beyonwiz PVR's as my AV cabinet is bursting at the seams already. I also want better SD picture quality than the DP series provides. Read the below URL and you'll see what I'm talking about, has pictures and everything of the issue. I recently upgraded from 40" to 50" and Channel 7's AFL broadcast is SD broadcast only really shows this and it's painful to watch. With SD broadcasts not going away anytime soon I can see, better SD handling is required for me. The author of this article has written reviews of the Humax 7500/7510 (Sound + Image) mag and he's highly praised their handling of SD sources. I believe the T3 handles SD sources better than the DP series too which is why I'm so gutted that T3 doesn't support IceTV because it would have been a sure purchase for me.

SD on an HD Display. http://trade.connectedhometechnology.co ... hd-display A DP-P1 was used to demo the authors points.
Rockets
Beyonwiz T3 1TB - DP-P1

Rockets
Master

Post by Rockets » Sat May 24, 2014 17:26

Ok I just got a direct email reply to a support request to IceTV which I also sneaked in a 4 tune support & T3 question. Interesting response...... I may be a T3 owner yet!!!!!!!!!
Dave (IceTV Customer Support)
May 24 04:04 PM
Hi ,
Thank you for contacting IceTV Customer Support
Yes, the new Humax "4 Tune" as they're calling it will have IceTV and be available from the IceTV store. It also now looks very likely that the T3 will get IceTV.
Best Regards,
Dave
IceTV Service
Rockets
Beyonwiz T3 1TB - DP-P1

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Sat May 24, 2014 19:05

So will us "real" beta testers get it thrown in gratis? :D
Tezza

Beyonwiz T4, 1TB internal WD Green HDD, 4TB USB Portable HDD
Beyonwiz T4, 500GB 2.5" internal HD
LG 500w sound bar
LG 70UF770T LED LCD 4K 70" TV
LG Magic Remote

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 24, 2014 20:33

tezza007 wrote:So will us "real" beta testers get it thrown in gratis? :D
I'd rather suspect that IceTV capability on the T3 will be at no additional cost. An IceTV subscription, though is another matter.

But most of the complainants in this topic (including myself) are already IceTV subscribers.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Sat May 24, 2014 20:45

So it won't cost them much to give it to the rest of us for helping to sort out the problems :D

From what I've seen, it doesn't do anything worth paying for
Tezza

LG 500w sound bar
LG Magic Remote

Rockets
Master

Post by Rockets » Sat May 24, 2014 21:08

tezza007 wrote:From what I've seen, it doesn't do anything worth paying for
Others on this forum would disagree with you there. Each to their own. I want IceTV on T3 and will pay for the subscription when/if it becomes enabled happily.
Rockets
Beyonwiz T3 1TB - DP-P1

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat May 24, 2014 21:33

tezza007 wrote:So will us "real" beta testers get it thrown in gratis? :D
tezza007 wrote:So it won't cost them much to give it to the rest of us for helping to sort out the problems :D

From what I've seen, it doesn't do anything worth paying for
Sorry but why are you posting to this topic if you don't see any value in IceTV?
Cheers
Gully

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Sat May 24, 2014 21:41

tezza007 wrote:From what I've seen, it doesn't do anything worth paying for
What have you seen?

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Sat May 24, 2014 23:49

Gully wrote: Sorry but why are you posting to this topic if you don't see any value in IceTV?
Sorry, didn't realise only opinions in agreement are welcome.
Paul55 wrote:What have you seen?
Their website, but obviously that doesn't contain anything that spruiks their product :roll:
Tezza

LG 500w sound bar
LG Magic Remote

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Sun May 25, 2014 07:32

tezza007 wrote:Their website, but obviously that doesn't contain anything that spruiks their product :roll:
If you have a compatible PVR, IceTV allows a free trial period - in fact, the PVR would normally come with 3 months worth of IceTV. This is how most users started with IceTV - we tried it and saw the value.
Obviously there are some/many who can't justify the expense or prefer a different approach, but most of them would have at least tried the product before making their decision.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun May 25, 2014 10:35

tezza007 wrote:
Gully wrote: Sorry but why are you posting to this topic if you don't see any value in IceTV?
Sorry, didn't realise only opinions in agreement are welcome.
Any opinion is welcome but seeing as this is a discussion of when and how IceTV gets on the T3, it doesn't look like that is of interest to you. It was getting close to looking like trolling to me.
Cheers
Gully

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sun May 25, 2014 11:58

A hypothetical ! If one was able to scrape a EPG site as was done in the early days, especially for Topfield users, is this possible for the T3 ? Maybe the T3 is just too 'open' to be a commercial success for IceTV ? I'm all for the most facilities, but for me the current transmitted EPG and it's implementation on the T3 is more than adequate for my needs. But my arm could be twisted :D
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Sun May 25, 2014 18:24

Paul55 wrote: If you have a compatible PVR, IceTV allows a free trial period ...This is how most users started with IceTV - we tried it and saw the value.
Obviously there are some/many who can't justify the expense or prefer a different approach, but most of them would have at least tried the product before making their decision.
All that's available to check it out is their website [not very good] and a trial of their EPG on a fone. I downloaded when I got the T3 and found it useless. I went to give it another try last night but I think the 30 days must be up as it just kept telling me it had to download a full EPG and never moved on from there so I deleted it. Just had another look at their site and tried to get the free trial and it told me "Your Widget account has been converted to a Free Trial account. You will receive 7 days of guide and the account will expire 30 days from now." OK, I'll give it another go. Got the email, clicked on the link, "Oops.
Unable to confirm your account.
The link you clicked is missing some data.
Please contact customer service for more help."

Lookin' good Ice TV. If the EPG was on the computer instead of a phone, maybe. Looks like I'll be sticking to the Sunday paper weekly TV guide and the T3's EPG. Still can't see anything of value to me with Ice TV, have I missed something?
Tezza

LG 500w sound bar
LG Magic Remote

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 25, 2014 18:40

tezza007 wrote:... Still can't see anything of value to me with Ice TV, have I missed something?
That IceTV's service is more than just the EPG?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Sun May 25, 2014 20:04

What? I'm serious
Tezza

LG 500w sound bar
LG Magic Remote

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 25, 2014 20:06

tezza007 wrote:What? I'm serious
http://www.icetv.com.au/about/
IceTV About page wrote:IceTV is the total smart recording solution. Our app can set recordings for all your TV shows and IceTV will manage them for you. You can set your PVR to record whatever you want, from wherever you are. All you need is internet access. Whether you're sitting in front of the TV, on a bus or on holiday overseas, with IceTV you simply choose your show and press "record". Then it's set forever. No more trawling through the TV guide to find it again. We call this Smart Recording and it couldn’t be any easier.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

BigbobOz
Master

Post by BigbobOz » Sun May 25, 2014 20:14

I'd love to see IceTV on the T3.

There's nothing obvious as to why IceTV is worth it, I just like that I set my preferences and it just works plus the website and apps work well. Summarises what's going to be recorded well but not a fan of the way it shows what's on. The single list just has all the shows blend together and I just miss what I'm looking for. That said, because recordings just work, I rarely need to scroll through the list.

BigbobOz
Master

Post by BigbobOz » Sun May 25, 2014 20:16

IceTV About page wrote:IceTV is the total smart recording solution. Our app can set recordings for all your TV shows and IceTV will manage them for you. You can set your PVR to record whatever you want, from wherever you are. All you need is internet access. Whether you're sitting in front of the TV, on a bus or on holiday overseas, with IceTV you simply choose your show and press "record". Then it's set forever. No more trawling through the TV guide to find it again. We call this Smart Recording and it couldn’t be any easier.
Yep, it does what it says on the tin

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Sun May 25, 2014 20:29

Why would I want to use a phone screen to see an EPG and set my recordings when i can use the TV and remote or laptop and OpenWebif? What am I missing that has so many gushing about it? Maybe I need to see a video of it in operation
Tezza

LG 500w sound bar
LG Magic Remote

blonk
Master

Post by blonk » Sun May 25, 2014 20:34

tezza007 wrote:have I missed something?
Yes you have, you need an IceTV compatible device. Add a favourite show, and IceTV will record it, from my experience without fail. Change of channel, change of day, change of time, doesn't matter, ice tv will find it for you. Set and forget. Record from PC or app, will still record it. Convenient. There's a very good reason many with a T3 bemoan no IceTV, and hope it will be available. I'm happy to pay $99 per year for it.

Blonk

Rockets
Master

Post by Rockets » Sun May 25, 2014 20:34

tezza007 wrote:What am I missing that has so many gushing about it?
Apart from the accurate EPG data with repeat flags the single best feature of IceTV is the advanced Series Recording options of TV shows. You can set a show to record from a list then set options for which registered device to send timers to, first runs only or all, restrict to a FTA network or any channel, set the picture quality (prefer HD/HD only/prefer SD/SD only), limit episodes per day (1 to 5 or all), restrict to a start time or any time. I have shows set in here 6 years ago and IceTV has sent a timer for every new episode since without me having to adjust anything. You can also set keyword recordings. eg I record everything that has Billy Connolly. Get emails when there's timer conflicts like 3 shows set to record at the same time. Control everything from a Smart phone. I quite often set a show to record from my phone when out and about and when the P1 next checks in with IceTV the timer gets set. There's a list of new shows before they appear in the EPG which you can set Series recordings on which is great for all the shows "after the tennis" or coming "soon" like that Bali thing 7 has been sprucing for damn ages.
Rockets
Beyonwiz T3 1TB - DP-P1

BigbobOz
Master

Post by BigbobOz » Sun May 25, 2014 21:09

tezza007 wrote:Why would I want to use a phone screen to see an EPG and set my recordings when i can use the TV and remote or laptop and OpenWebif? What am I missing that has so many gushing about it? Maybe I need to see a video of it in operation
Set a recording on your phone? Because you're not home and you either forgot or learnt about something that you want to watch? Do that with your tv remote...but that's just one way to use it. I don't actually have to use it that often, you just put in what you want to watch and it shows up on the PVR. Series come back around and you don't have to keep track, schedules move and they're all still there.

What are you missing? Not sure, it's really not that complicated. Convenience can't be captured by a video.

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Sun May 25, 2014 21:52

That was better info than what's on their site. I've got Series record on the 7160 but have never bothered with it as every morning I set the recordings for that night [which can be up to 40]. I thought what's the point of knowing about upcoming shows, but the comment about "after the tennis" is a good one, that has always pissed me off - and Bali is on Tuesday night :D

How accurate is the EPG data? Can it tell when all those damn reality shows run overtime despite the networks knowing exactly how long they are?
Being notified about conflicts because of updated data would be handy, I could then reset them for the other recorders

I knew I'd eventually get some useful, sensible, informative answers rather than a rubbish post about being a troll. We should be able to ask questions and make comments without being denigrated.

All together now "WE WANT FREE ICETV FOR EARLY ADOPTERS!!!" :P
Tezza

LG 500w sound bar
LG Magic Remote

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun May 25, 2014 21:58

Tezza007

Carry on like that and I will happily stop you posting.

No one is stopping you making posts or comments but not attacking others. And I didn't say you were a troll, just that your posts were starting to look like trolling as they were not constructive or just comments.

We don't want posts here attacking people and posters regardless of your feelings. Stick to the topics and you will be fine.
Cheers
Gully

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Sun May 25, 2014 22:37

I can find the post where I was attacked, but not a single post where I've attacked anyone else
Tezza

LG 500w sound bar
LG Magic Remote

Rockets
Master

Post by Rockets » Sun May 25, 2014 22:49

tezza007 wrote:How accurate is the EPG data? Can it tell when all those damn reality shows run overtime despite the networks knowing exactly how long they are?

I've always found the EPG from IceTV accurate but occasionally the networks throw a spanner in the works by making a real late change and the P1 is off so a timer might get missed. As for the deliberate lateness of the Aus FTA networks, "bridging" is the industry term, I just rely on a 20 minute post pad buffer applied to every timer that is set on the P1 which almost always is enough but can cut off a show before the end if a timer for a third network fires. This is why I've been wanting a PVR with 3 tuners for about 2 years.
Rockets
Beyonwiz T3 1TB - DP-P1

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 25, 2014 22:58

tezza007 wrote:... Can it tell when all those damn reality shows run overtime despite the networks knowing exactly how long they are? ...
No, not really, because they don't have access to that information. But they started estimating it a year or two ago. Initially they weren't very good, but they've improved quite a bit. But they're not perfect.

I actually don't think it's such a great idea, myself. I got by quite well with padding the recordings.

Of course, on "breaking news" nights, there will be problems.

Their claim "you will never miss a show again" is a bit over the top (even taking account of their disclaimer) - I missed three on Friday, because I didn't tend to the "gardening". But that's unusual.

It's certainly less effort than setting manual timers.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Sun May 25, 2014 23:05

Thanks all, good info. Anyone got a screen shot of their EPG? Especially single channel or network shots if it has them
Tezza

LG 500w sound bar
LG Magic Remote

Rockets
Master

Post by Rockets » Sun May 25, 2014 23:11

Capture1.PNG
EPG