DP-Lite lost audio

Beyonwiz HD PVR / Network Media Players including Freeview models.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

ColinE
Apprentice

DP-Lite lost audio

Post by ColinE » Sat Mar 30, 2013 14:38

My DP-Lite suddenly has lost ability to play back sound. It had been working fine till yesterday. Now all the PVR functions work fine except for audio. Playing live broadcasts shows same problem.
I have tried replacing the HDMI cable and trying other cable arrangements - AV and Component. No improvement.
Can someone advise if this is likely to be an economical fix.
Can it be done by home handyman. If not can you advise a good repairer near Glen Waverley.
If I have to buy another unit I would like to buy another Wiz. I haven't found any in the local electronics shops. Are they not selling any now?
Colin

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Mar 30, 2013 14:41

Let's start with a bit more information.

What cables to what connectors?
What audio settings are you using on the Wiz?
Any changes to settings or equipment?
Etc?
Cheers
Gully

ColinE
Apprentice

Post by ColinE » Sat Mar 30, 2013 16:02

Thanks Gully,
HDMI cable from socket in Wiz to socket on TV. Worked well for months until this fault. Settings were appropriate for this. I have checked there has been no change.
AV cables (R,W,Y) again from correct sockets Wiz to TV. To get any result I had to alter settings but couldn't get sound to work or even a good picture.
Component cables (R, G, B, plus R&W audio cables) Wiz to TV. Here I got message couldn't find HTMI cable and had great trouble getting setting to change from HDMI to Component. When I did I got sound but the picture was apparently a direct channel, not thru' PVR., and I got info superimposed on picture. Very unsatisfactory.
Audio settings are 2ch audio.

Colin

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Mar 30, 2013 16:13

Please post the actual settings and check this topic http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5655

The settings will be different for each of those options.
Cheers
Gully

ColinE
Apprentice

Post by ColinE » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:34

Gully, your request made me reinstall composite (AV) cables and setup again. This time after several tries with different resolution settings I have got the unit running OK with good sound. I am very happy to be back in operation again. The settings are:
V Type - PAL
V Output - Component
Res - 576i
TV A/R - 16:9
Audio F - 2 ch
S/PDIF - Disable
Dolby D Cr - Line Mode

As background a few months ago I changed TV from a CRT to an LCD (Philips 32PF5520D). I was happy to be able to connect with HDMI and set Res to 720p that matched the 768 Res on the TV.
I cannot explain why I had a sudden loss of sound without any apparent change. I had written down the settings for the new setup and these were still there. Those settings are:
V Type - Pal
V Output - HDMI
Res - 720p
HDCP - Disable
TV A/R - 16:9
Audio F - 2 ch
S/PDIF - Disable
Dolby D Cr - Line Mode

It is now clear my problem yesterday with settings for AV was that I kept trying to set res at 720p. I can now see from sect 2-2 of the manual this is not allowed with AV settings.
So here I am able to use the Wiz again. I still want to get back to using the digital output with HDMI.
Have you any suggestions on tweaking my settings. The link to Ian's article was very useful but I would like some help in selecting settings from his Digital Connection section.

Cheers, Colin

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Mar 31, 2013 13:08

Hi Colin,

HDMI is a digital connection. Use the Digital Connection settings. Remember to check that the Beyonwiz is not MUTED and that the Beyonwiz volume level is between about 45 to 50.

Regards,
Ian.

ColinE
Apprentice

Post by ColinE » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:13

Thanks for comments, Ian. The bad news is that with your settings I still get no sound with HDMI. I tried the alternate settings for each item too with the same result.
I am led to the conclusion I have a failure of an electronic component on the part of the PCB that outputs audio to HDMI.
I ask are there any more ideas? Maybe some combinations of alternate settings. I point out I don't have an amplifier connected, just direct to the TV.
I am still able to work OK on AV leads but that gives a little lower definition.
Meanwhile I will try again to get the Component leads working; then try your Digital Connection settings with that system.
Thanks, Colin

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:14

Hi Colin,

Have you tried using another TV so that you can see if the fault stays with the Beyonwiz or the TV?

Regards,
Ian.

ColinE
Apprentice

Post by ColinE » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:21

Hi Ian,
Unfortunately I don't have another TV with HTMI connection.
Further to my last post I have just been reading that Component is still an analogue system.
Thus I guess, if I get it to work, I would be guided by your Stereo Analogue Connection suggestions.
I hope that the Component system would allow me to output to TV at 720p and give better quality.
Colin

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:26

Hi Colin,

Component connections (Red, Blue, Green cables) are good to at least 1080i.

Regards,
Ian.

Dr Dre
Apprentice

Post by Dr Dre » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:55

You haven't accidentally hit AV Bypass on the remote have you?

ColinE
Apprentice

Post by ColinE » Tue Apr 02, 2013 15:10

Hi Dr,
I can't find that button on my remote. Has it another name? Maybe it is not on the DP-Lite remote. I would like to understand what this might do, in case it leads to an explanation.

FWIW, I tried using Component cables to connect. This time I got it working and at 720p - to match my TV res.
I found the result rather disappointing. The picture seemed a little dark and over-saturated. Also the clarity was no better than when using the AV leads.
I have tried Component on a DVD player with similar results.
I will just keep using AV leads as these work OK. Of course I would like to get back to HDMI. That was a little better.
Colin

Dr Dre
Apprentice

Post by Dr Dre » Tue Apr 02, 2013 15:53

The very top right button on the remote. My kids have pressed it in the past. If you've got it working using other leads though, I would think this isn't the issue though. Good luck!

ColinE
Apprentice

Post by ColinE » Tue Apr 02, 2013 21:30

Hi Dr,
Indeed the button on my remote is inactive.Handbook shows it as 'N/A Left for later use.'

Thanks for the suggestion.

Colin

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 03, 2013 07:58

The "Eject" button is only active on DP-S1 (eject CD/DVD) and the DP-P2 (audio bypass). It does nothing on other models AFAIK.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Dr Dre
Apprentice

Post by Dr Dre » Wed Apr 03, 2013 09:04

Hmm, I'll take another look tonight - there's definitely a button my kids (or wife!) accidentally presses on occasion which affects the sound only in the manner you describe. I don't use HDMI though but I do have a P2 and a Lite-i so I can check on both machines.

Edit: Before any one suggests it - it is not the mute button!!!

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Apr 03, 2013 09:26

Hi Dr Dre,

It could be the TV-OUT button. ;)

Regards,
Ian.

Dr Dre
Apprentice

Post by Dr Dre » Sat Apr 06, 2013 23:24

OK, so I've checked it out and learnt two things.
1 - The AV Bypass button on the P2 mutes the sound but it does nothing on the Lite-i
2 - I should move the Lite-i to the lounge room so the kids don't mute it!

Anyway, getting off the original topic now so I'll have to leave you in the hands of the experts. Good luck!

ColinE
Apprentice

Post by ColinE » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:48

Further news and it's good!
I have just bought a new TV and the Wiz works perfectly with HDMI cable connection to it.
So the problem was with the older TV (only one HDMI port). Ian Sav was right in suggesting that.
I should have known the Wiz would be good.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Sep 14, 2013 15:33

Hi Colin,

:D

Regards,
Ian.

Return to “DP-P2, FV-L1, DP-Lite, DP-S1 and DP-P1”