HDD checks messages - but is HDD ok?

Beyonwiz HD PVR / Network Media Players including Freeview models.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

dddp
Master

HDD checks messages - but is HDD ok?

Post by dddp » Thu Jul 19, 2012 23:08

Well, this is what's happening, as of tonight every time i boot my P2 up i get the check HDD warning. The HDD gets checked and everything's fine. I guess the problem is that unless i leave the P2 on all the time it won't fire up to record my timers and so these will fail - i'll be leaving it ON until i get this issue sorted

My P2 is an older model that came with a 320gb HDD, this was replaced in 2010 with a 500gb WD HDD and I'm running 1.05.350 firmware

is it possible that the HDD is fine but now it's the power supply issue causing this problem? The power supply has never been repaired. The P2 behaves fine once it's passed the HDD check process

Thanks in advance :)
DP-P2 320gb version now running with a (edit 500gb) 1 TB HDD - yep, 3rd HDD lol. Plus another P2 running a 1TB PVR rated HDD. Plus a 320gb Dealspace FL-V1 running DP-P1 firmware.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Jul 20, 2012 00:04

Hi Dddp,

How old is the unit?

It is also quite possible for a hard drive to fail after 2 years of use.

Regards,
Ian.

dddp
Master

Post by dddp » Fri Jul 20, 2012 07:05

thanks for the reply Ian

can't find the receipt at the moment, but the 320gb models had just gone superseded when i bought it. My first posts here go back to feb 2009 so i'd guess it would be around that date

yes i know it could be the hdd, but the hdd is working fine and not making any odd sounds. I also have the P2 on raised stands so there's increased air circulation and it stays nice and cool. It's unfortunate that there's no utility that checks hdd integrity like SMART does in a PC.

which ever way it goes, this time i'd like to keep the recordings on the hdd. I guess it's time to contact Warkus and see what he can do with it :(

this is the thread from when the original hdd failed
http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... highlight=
DP-P2 320gb version now running with a (edit 500gb) 1 TB HDD - yep, 3rd HDD lol. Plus another P2 running a 1TB PVR rated HDD. Plus a 320gb Dealspace FL-V1 running DP-P1 firmware.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Jul 20, 2012 09:09

Hi Dddp,
dddp wrote:can't find the receipt at the moment, but the 320gb models had just gone superseded when i bought it. My first posts here go back to feb 2009 so i'd guess it would be around that date
That is a little young to allocate much blame to the power supply.
dddp wrote:yes i know it could be the hdd, but the hdd is working fine and not making any odd sounds. I also have the P2 on raised stands so there's increased air circulation and it stays nice and cool. It's unfortunate that there's no utility that checks hdd integrity like SMART does in a PC.
I have witnessed many a drive failure where there is no sign orhint of a problem and then suddenly the drive was failing or dead. Many have even been in systems with SMART monitoring yet SMART provided no warning of the pending failure.

You can always remove the drive from the Beyonwiz and install it in a PC to run the manufacturer's diagnostics (in read only mode) to check the drive out. Don't boot or access the drive from Windows as it could damage the contents of the drive. Just look for a self booting drive test image (or a DOS boot version) so that only the diagnostics software itself access the disk.
dddp wrote:which ever way it goes, this time i'd like to keep the recordings on the hdd. I guess it's time to contact Warkus and see what he can do with it :(
That is another, excellent, idea. ;)

Regards,
Ian.

dddp
Master

Post by dddp » Fri Jul 20, 2012 21:01

IanSav wrote:
dddp wrote:which ever way it goes, this time i'd like to keep the recordings on the hdd. I guess it's time to contact Warkus and see what he can do with it :(
That is another, excellent, idea. ;)

Regards,
Ian.
yep, think i'll get him to 'do' the power supply as well as the HDD replacement

dddp
Master

Post by dddp » Fri Jul 20, 2012 23:57

PM sent to warkus

Return to “DP-P2, FV-L1, DP-Lite, DP-S1 and DP-P1”