DP-P2 Networking Challenge

Beyonwiz HD PVR / Network Media Players including Freeview models.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

rdurie
Apprentice

DP-P2 Networking Challenge

Post by rdurie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 09:47

I need some advice on networking from the wise heads on the forum. I was pushing ethernet to the BW using a power extender from the router which worked fine for IceTV but not so good for video streaming. But then I thought I could use the Transact connection point and a D-Link switch to plug in the Transact box, Foxtel and BW without going through the router - is this wishful thinking?

I assumed because the Transact box still functions and enables the router when I put the switch in the loop, this would work. Anyway, the network settings on the BW all show 0 except for the MAC address. Ditto for the IQ box.

The reason I wanted to change was to put both the BW and my PC on ethernet rather than the PC on wireless and the BW on power extender in the hope of improving video streaming.

I am using firmware 01.05.334, loader version 1.1.3.1.67

Any suggestions before I revert to the old set-up?

many thanks in anticipation

Rob

BeyonWiz DP-P2 PVR
Firmware ver 01.05.334
Sanyo 46 XR10FH LED-LCD TV (HDMI)
Sony STR-DB790 Receiver (Optical)
Sony DVD
Logitech Harmony 700
Windows XP -- Dell
Netgear WGR 614 v6
D-Link DES-1005D

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Jan 04, 2012 09:59

Hi Rob,

I am not sure I follow your connection path. Am I correct in reading that the street cable come in then goes to your switch and then the router? Can you please explain this more clearly. If the way I read your post is correct then I doubt that this will work.

The street cable should go to the router and then the switch can connect to the router then all your home devices can attach to the switch. This should work.

By the way, is there a reason why you haven't upgraded the firmware on the Beyonwiz to 01.05.350?

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 09:59

Hi, Rob. I really can't work out from your description what either your original working setup was or what your new setup is.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

rdurie
Apprentice

Post by rdurie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:26

Sorry for the poor description - I barely understand it but I will have another go.

There is a Transact connection point on the wall behind the TV. An ethernet cable goes from the wall point to the TransTV box and another ethernet cable from there back to a data point on the same wall plate. At the far end of the same room, about 10-12 metres away, the router is plugged in to a data point on the wall. Presumably the two data points are connected by cable in the ceiling/wall. The network doesn't function unless the TransTV box is in the loop - not sure why that is.

The set-up for the BW which worked consisted of a power extender plugged into the router. At the BW end, the power extender was plugged into the switch along with the BW and the IQ.

In my ignorance, I removed the power extender and plugged both the Transact wall point and the TransTV box into the switch along with the BW and IQ, with the result that the network connections for the BW and the IQ don't work but the rest of the network is fine.

Is the answer to put the router where the switch is, ie plugging the enternet cable from the transTV box into the router instead of the data point in the wall?

I hope this makes the set-up clearer.

cheers, Rob
BeyonWiz DP-P2 PVR
Firmware ver 01.05.350
Sony DVD
Foxtel iQ
Logitech Harmony 700
Windows XP -- Acer
Netgear WNDR3700v2
D-Link DES-1005D

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 16:04

I suspect that even though the Transact wall point is the same connector as is used for Ethernet, that it's not actually an Ethernet connection electrically, perhaps the raw Transact broadband.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

rdurie
Apprentice

Post by rdurie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 16:15

Peter, yes, I think you are right, it needs to go to the router first. I did try plugging it all directly into the router but that didn't work so I have reverted to the previous setup. Thanks for your input, cheers, Rob
BeyonWiz DP-P2 PVR
Firmware ver 01.05.350
Sony DVD
Foxtel iQ
Logitech Harmony 700
Windows XP -- Acer
Netgear WNDR3700v2
D-Link DES-1005D

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 16:37

rdurie wrote:Peter, yes, I think you are right, it needs to go to the router first. I did try plugging it all directly into the router but that didn't work so I have reverted to the previous setup. Thanks for your input, cheers, Rob
I think that part of the confusion here might be about just what you're calling a router. Is the router a box supplied by TransACT that plugs into the TransACT wall connection on one side, and to Ethernet (and possibly also supports wireless connections) on the other side? In that case, you're right. This router (and probably also broadband modem) must be correctly connected to the TransACT wall point for your Internet connection to work. Another part of the problem is that TransACT has several different broadband packages, with different user hardware.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

rdurie
Apprentice

Post by rdurie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 17:40

No that's my Netgear wireless router - the only Transact hardware I have is the TransTV box which I never use, but it seems to play an integral part in enabling the basic broadband connection - could it have a modem built-in - it seems unlikely but as I have amply demonstrated, I know nix!
BeyonWiz DP-P2 PVR
Firmware ver 01.05.350
Sony DVD
Foxtel iQ
Logitech Harmony 700
Windows XP -- Acer
Netgear WNDR3700v2
D-Link DES-1005D

SouthPark
Master

Post by SouthPark » Fri Jan 13, 2012 05:59

rdurie wrote:No that's my Netgear wireless router - the only Transact hardware I have is the TransTV box which I never use, but it seems to play an integral part in enabling the basic broadband connection - could it have a modem built-in - it seems unlikely but as I have amply demonstrated, I know nix!
Could also try basic tests using something like http://www.netcomm.com.au/netcomm-produ ... line/np504

Set up the ethernet connection between powerline adapters. Can even take the output of one adapter and use it as input to a switch or router or even a wireless router.

Or have one of those adapters for the transact, and another one for the BW, and then have one near the PC going into a switch/router system (which the PC can connect to).
rdurie wrote:I assumed because the Transact box still functions and enables the router when I put the switch in the loop!
Not sure what is meant by 'enables the router when I put the switch in the loop'.

Things that probably need clearing up at the moment are : Is the transact wall point the socket where raw transact internet comes in? And.....where is the modem located in your system. And also, the data-points that you mentioned are unlikely to be connected directly by cable. Those data points need to be connected in a network fashion (such as through a switch module). These questions are only to establish exactly what hardware we have here, and how they're actually connected together. Hope you sorted everything out anyway.

Return to “DP-P2, FV-L1, DP-Lite, DP-S1 and DP-P1”