VCR files to DVD with VideoRedo?

Beyonwiz HD PVR / Network Media Players including Freeview models.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

KT Faith
Apprentice

VCR files to DVD with VideoRedo?

Post by KT Faith » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:04

I am unable to convert files copied from VCR tapes via the P2's AV input then onto PC into anything useful using VideoRedo software (which has no problems with "normal" TS files recorded directly onto the P2's HDD). Videoredo gives message like "Transport stream does not contain an MPEG2 program." A trial of videoredo's upgrade (TV suite) gives message "H264/AVC video stream not yet supported".

A previous search on this forum led me to try a program called Prism video converter, but it produces a "sped up" video with no audio (using its mpg setting, nothing with anything else).

Has anyone had experience or has the know how to achieve VCR conversion via BW/ PC/ Video Redo? I am trying to convert several short horseracing videos to make a DVD.

Thanks in anticipation.

KTF.
Beyonwiz DP-P2
Panasonic TH-50PZ700A
Onkyo AVR TX-SR600
Topfield 5000PVRMP

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:15

The files from the AV Input are in MP4 format (TS is just a container).

Have a look under the LiDiC section for how people have processed them or search for MP4.
Cheers
Gully

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:43

For a one off exercise, buy a bottle of wine for a friend with a HDD DVD recorder.
Connect your VCR to the input of the DVD recorder and copy what you want to the HDD. You can then edit as required easily on the recorder and when ready, dub to DVD.
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Feb 14, 2009 13:53

Hi KTF,

As Gully has indicated, files captured by the DP-P2 video input are encoded as H.264 format. Files broadcast by the TV stations are in MPEG2 format. The .TS files are just a container and do not imply anything about the actual format of the embedded files.

Perhaps you should contact the VideoReDo people and ask when their program will be able to process H.264 files. As Gully also suggested, scan this forum for ideas on how others have processed H.264 format files.

Regards,
Ian.

diesel
Wizard

Post by diesel » Sat Feb 14, 2009 14:40

Alterntely, if you have a video editing suite used with a DV Camcorder, they can convert the file for you
3TB T3 on 4.4.20160729FW
DP-P1 on .320FW & life support...

KT Faith
Apprentice

Post by KT Faith » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:45

OK, thanks for all those suggestions. I tried several of the programs discussed in the Lidic forum, without success. All gave sped up video without sound (??) similar to what I had already achieved.

In the end, I drank the red wine, borrowed a little device called DVD maker USB 2, hooked it up directly between the VCR and laptop and hey presto, worked like a charm. Video Redo could now read and trim/ correct the downloaded files in .mpg format without a hitch. It is a pity the Beyonwiz P2 doesn't seem to be able to master this as it was one of their promotional features (AVI input from a VCR for downloading old videos); they do display OK from the BW HDD to the TV, but converting them to permanent DVD storage is obviously not straightfoward (as opposed to digital programs recorded directly to the HDD). I note from other users that recording Austar (to which I was considering re-subscribing to for horseracing) also has its problems.

regards
KTF.
Beyonwiz DP-P2
Panasonic TH-50PZ700A
Onkyo AVR TX-SR600
Topfield 5000PVRMP

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:55

It doesn't matter what the source it, this is merely an analogue A/V input as far as the Wiz is concerned.
The main purpose of the A/V input is not to build DVDs, it is there to timeshift shows that you have on something else, like a payTV STB with no HDD..
But building DVDs from the H.263 transport stream that is recorded should still be possible, with the right combination of software. I think it is great they use MPEG4 and not waste oodles of Wiz HDD space recording in MPEG1/2. It is really just slightly ahead of its time for the amount of free digital processing software out there to work with it.
Regards
Tony

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:02

TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress will handle these files - you can convert directly to AVI or MPEG1/2 etc. On some systems the addition of the free codec package FFDShow is an advantage.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Feb 16, 2009 20:52

KT Faith wrote:I tried several of the programs discussed in the Lidic forum, without success. All gave sped up video without sound (??) similar to what I had already achieved.
This clearly indicates that your PC has a codec installed that can not properly decode H.264 streams. I'm sure that once you uninstall this broken codec, your PC will have no trouble converting the Beyonwiz files to DVD format.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

buzzdude
Apprentice

Post by buzzdude » Tue Feb 17, 2009 07:39

Hi

If you would like to see video codecs installed on XP, goto

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Sound and Audio Devices, Select the Hardware tab, scroll down to Video Codecs, press properites and then select the properites tab. The list will show all video codecs. If you select each one individually, you can uninstall them or see if they are working correctly.

Alternativley, you can locate any broken codecs with sherlock from

http://www.updatexp.com/sherlock-codec-detective.html

If you require additonal or need to reinstall codec's I have found the K-Lite package to include anything and everything that I have ever needed.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_l ... c_pack.htm

There is also links to Tools and converter apps.

Shane
Patience...

KT Faith
Apprentice

Post by KT Faith » Tue Feb 17, 2009 08:34

Thanks, very interesting. I will try those suggestions tonight (work permitting).

regards
KTF.
Beyonwiz DP-P2
Panasonic TH-50PZ700A
Onkyo AVR TX-SR600
Topfield 5000PVRMP

KT Faith
Apprentice

Post by KT Faith » Tue Feb 17, 2009 17:30

If you would like to see video codecs installed on XP, goto

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Sound and Audio Devices, Select the Hardware tab, scroll down to Video Codecs, press properites and then select the properites tab. The list will show all video codecs. If you select each one individually, you can uninstall them or see if they are working correctly.

Thanks, did that and all video codecs (about 12) stated to be working correctly. Not sure about Sherlock, think I will stick to using my external device listed above for these tasks in future (rather than BW).

regards
KTF.
Beyonwiz DP-P2
Panasonic TH-50PZ700A
Onkyo AVR TX-SR600
Topfield 5000PVRMP

Return to “DP-P2, FV-L1, DP-Lite, DP-S1 and DP-P1”