Error 0000

Beyonwiz HD PVR / Network Media Players including Freeview models.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Tracy72

Error 0000

Post by Tracy72 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 21:37

Hi All,

Unfortunately our power box was hit by lightning last night. This has caused a LCD Tv to now not work. Our BW was in the shelf below this tv.

I can get the BW to light up but it is coming up with "error 0000".

Any of you magnificent people have any brilliant ideas, or is my BW dead ?

Tracy
Tracy

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Nov 28, 2008 22:09

All the codes are listed in the FAQ area -

http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1682

As you might guess it is not able to even start the boot process.

I'm not sure if it will work but you could try the recovery procedure

http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2049

It is worth going through the FAQ area when you get a chance as it will answer lots of questions.
Cheers
Gully

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Error 0000

Post by MrQuade » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:59

Tracy72 wrote:Hi All,

Unfortunately our power box was hit by lightning last night. This has caused a LCD Tv to now not work. Our BW was in the shelf below this tv.

I can get the BW to light up but it is coming up with "error 0000".

Any of you magnificent people have any brilliant ideas, or is my BW dead ?

Tracy
My personal experience with power interruptions and the 0000 error can be found in this thread

http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2910

Short story was that in my case it was a dead power supply which needed a repair at Beyonwiz HQ.

parau
On probation

Post by parau » Fri Sep 10, 2010 16:59

I've just experienced this also - replaced diode D11 on the power supply board and all working well!!

Jason

warkus
Guru

Post by warkus » Fri Sep 10, 2010 18:14

This problem can be caused by quite a few things in regards to the Power Supply.

It is not always a diode and if it is a diode, its not always D11 as there are 3 that can go causing the same error. Other times the 12v regulator can go as well amongst other things.

Either way, if anyone is unlucky enough to get the Error 0000 come up on their unit, it is most likely the power supply that is the problem, usually to do with the 5v or 12v rail missing.

Mark

The Gas Giant
Apprentice

Error 0000 - Repair?

Post by The Gas Giant » Tue Sep 14, 2010 15:04

I just experienced the dreaded Error 0000 on my DP-S1 that I've had for right on 2yrs. I like warkus's repair guide, but I do not have the tools nor the capability to do the repair. I also called Beyonwiz 1300 number and they've quoted an arm an a leg to repair the unit plus postage to Ingleburn in NSW (from Melbourne) and would not quote a time frame for the repairs to be completed.

Does anyone know of a suitable repair facility or someone who do the work within the Melbourne area at a reasonable cost?

Cheers, Paul.

ps. The wiz has been an awesome unit and gets used for time shifting, multi-channel recordings and streaming from various PCs over a network on a daily basis. For the PSU to die now is a kick in the guts for such an incredible unit.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Sep 14, 2010 15:11

Hi Paul,

Contact Warkus and get him to do the job for you. I am just off to the post office to courier across a DP-S1 power supply and front panel for refurbishment. (I am also in Melbourne.) Mark is very fast and well priced for doing these DP-S1 refurbs. :D

(@Mark: The courier bag is being dropped off to the post office in a few minutes. It should be with you tomorrow or Thursday.)

Regards,
Ian.

The Gas Giant
Apprentice

Post by The Gas Giant » Tue Sep 14, 2010 15:27

Thanks Ian,

Ahh, yes I don't have an issue with removing the PSU and sending that. That much I can do! I've pm'd warkus and am eagerly wait his response.

It's interesting that when I first started viewing these forums I saw no messages about Error 0000 (or it didn't register in my mind) - maybe this is the flaw in the wiz - a cheap PSU?

Regards, Paul.

Jordmax
On probation

Error 0000

Post by Jordmax » Thu Feb 17, 2011 21:48

I have just turned on my wiz dp-p2 to find the error 0000 on the display. It seems from these forums that it is a power supply issue and needs to be fixed by someone with more technical ability than me. I am loathe to send it back to Beyonwiz as I really can't wait a month for it's return.
I am located in Perth and would like to get in touch with Mark Warkus to fix my problem. I'm not really a forum person so not sure how all that works. Mark, can you fix my problem?

Regards
Jordan

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Thu Feb 17, 2011 22:15

Jordmax wrote:Mark, can you fix my problem?
I reckon he can. :wink:

But the best way to contact him is to find one of his posts (there's one just a few posts above yours) and click on the "PM" button just underneath his post (which stands for Personal Message). This will open a window where you can type a message just for him. Then, next time he visits this website, he will automatically receive your message and he can reply to you the same way.

warkus
Guru

Post by warkus » Thu Feb 17, 2011 22:40

Thanks Madmax,

Hi Jordan,

I have sent you a private message. If you are logged in, click on the "Private Messages" tab at the top right of the Beyonwiz forum page, and you should see my message. In it is my email address.

Hope that helps

Mark

Jordmax
On probation

Post by Jordmax » Fri Feb 18, 2011 00:21

Thanks for being so helpful. I think I've got it sorted now.
Regards
Jordan

nudels
On probation

thanks for helping with the error 0000

Post by nudels » Mon Mar 14, 2011 21:06

Just wanted to say thank you Warkus for putting me in touch with Tony who fixed my DP-SP1 over the weekend.

I would have binned the DP-SP1 otherwise!

cheers
Ada

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 22:00

A tip for all, don't keep your wiz running 24x7 in a enclosed cabinet, that repair is typical of most of the Wiz repairs I have done where the unit is cramped up in an unventilated cabinet and run 24x7. See some cap pics I have taken (not all of the last repair, I tend to pile up all the dead ones to show people how bad it can be running the Wizes too hot). See they are completely blown out the bottoms, one Wiz repair had the "safety" top of the capacitor popped in the past, but when they blow out their backsides they tend to leave gunky fluid on the circuit board.
Spot the nice new Panasonic FK series I use to replace the cactus "Sam Youngs" (and Samxons).
The capacitors tend to start to lose efficiency, overheat, and build up gasses inside (normally an electrolyte liquid), that are designed not to "explosively pop" by having the scores in the tops of them to let them expand and slowly open the top, but these Sam Youngs tend to spit out the seal out the bottom (along with any small remaining electrolyte fluid that hasn't been burnt to a crisp/expelled as gas).
All caps have a limited life span, but they are rated at X hours for the maximum heat loading they are rated for (105degC supposedly for the Low ESR typically found in a switch mode supply), of course the Wiz isn't quite going to run that hot, but once the cap efficiency starts to deteriorate, the heat build up inside it actually causes it to lose even more efficiency and take it faster to its eventual "death" (in the case of some of these) or so far out of spec the power supply can't maintain regulation and so the unit misbehaves (won't boot and/or doesn't have the grunt to spin up the HDD and give power to the processor unit of the device).

The tops of the caps should be completely flat, the photo doesn't quite show that you can see they are all pretty bulgy here(well, obviously the ones that expelled out the bottom are bulgy in their own way ;-) ).

p.s. thanks for the Bourbon, Ada ;-)

Regards
Tony

broke90
On probation

Post by broke90 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 18:04

I had the dreaded Error 0000 problem but interestingly, the functionality deteriorated over time instead of a sudden complete stop. The first time the error came up, I was still able to access the HDD using WizFX and downloaded some shows. I was also able to start a firmware upgrade but it did not go through properly. Eventually, I couldn't do anything at all.

Took it down to Ingleburn and the guys there did a repair while I waited. They didn't do a board swap, just replaced the caps and charged me just for those and the labour, instead of a new board and labour. So hats off to the guys there for not over-servicing.

GeoffJ3191

Post by GeoffJ3191 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 21:27

We usually keep our DP-P2 on all the time.
Today I turned it off, then off at the wall plug because our mains supply was being turned off.
Later, when I turned it back on, it came up with the ERROR 0000.

Does anyone know anywhere in Melbourne where I would be able to get the power supply repaired?

Thanks.
Beyonwiz P2

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Sep 20, 2011 21:44

Hi GeoffJ3191,

Shoot the power supply over to Mark (Warkus) in Perth. He will get the job done as fast, if not faster, than a local repairer. PM Mark for further details.

Regards,
Ian.

GeoffJ3191

Post by GeoffJ3191 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:44

I contacted warkus, and he asked me to send some photos of the power supply.
From this he identified a blown capacitor, and advised me to remove the PSU and send it over to Perth which I did.
It came back a few days later, I reassembled the unit (he gave me detailed instructions and if I can do this, anyone can) and my Beyonwiz in now working perfectly.

I have nothing but praise for him and the service he provides.

Thanks again mate.
Beyonwiz P2

steve_aust

Error 0000 DP-P2

Post by steve_aust » Wed Oct 12, 2011 15:50

I got it too. (Error 0000) on my DP-P2, a $800 device.

This is obviously a serious design flaw with the Beyonwiz DP-P2, which will make this my last Beyonwiz purchase.

I will update here how the repair goes.
Steve
Melbourne

GeoffJ3191

Post by GeoffJ3191 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 17:25

Part of the cause it seems is the ambient heat generated both within and without.
I don't think you would shun Beyonwiz because a capacitor blew.
I have now provided more separation between my Beyonwiz, an IQ2 and a DVD recorder, and I'm sure it will be much cooler now.
Also, you won't see all the owners of trouble free devices here saying they have experienced no faults.
Additionally, the repair proved easy.
I recommend you contact Warkus re the fix, great service.
Beyonwiz P2

Paul55
Wizard

Re: Error 0000 DP-P2

Post by Paul55 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 18:58

steve_aust wrote:I got it too. (Error 0000) on my DP-P2, a $800 device.

This is obviously a serious design flaw with the Beyonwiz DP-P2, which will make this my last Beyonwiz purchase.
I have a $40K + car that I'm generally very happy with.
I had a front shock absorber fail shortly after my warranty expired. Got a new set of (better) shocks fitted. A bit annoyed, but it doesn't mean the car isn't any good.

Compared with the number of units sold and the number of forum members - the rate of 0000 errors is very small.
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

Smergen
On probation

Post by Smergen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:38

Hi all,

Yep, I too suffered the dreaded Error 0000. Managed to get in touch with Warkus who gave me a little test to do, identified it as a faulty PSU and told me how to safely remove it. Did so, sent it over, he worked on it and sent it back. Turn around time from Melbourne to Perth and back was 5 working days.

Faultess service and repair job, my P2 is back up and running beautifully. Also gave me some advice on upgrading the unit which I hope to do in the near future.

As a side note, my brother's recent DP Lite expereinced the same problem. After a 6-8 weeks at BW HQ, he's still waiting on a reply to his warranty repair...

steve_aust

DP-P2: Error 0000 - FIXED !!!!!!!!!

Post by steve_aust » Tue Nov 01, 2011 21:20

DP-P2: Error 0000 - FIXED !!!!!!!!!
Sent power-supply board to "super wiz" Mark in Perth (Warkus)

Fixed!
Works perfectly.
Service fee VERY reasonable.
Turnaround time exceptional.

Thank-you Mark, you restored my faith in man-kind.
(Melbourne seems to be the home for every greedy, sleaze-ball rip-off merchant in the world (i.e. repair tech's & tradie's).

I just hope Mark is still around when it fails next time! (from reports here, will prolly fail again in another 12 months)
Sorry Beyonwiz, design better systems, your PSU design sux ass.
(buyer beware)

PS Anyone thought about / done a cooler fan install ? - Theoretically a small 5V / 12V cooling fan placed at the right spot, wired into the PSU at the right places (newbie here) could extend the life of the components. We can't keep just repairing this thing.

warkus
Guru

Post by warkus » Wed Nov 02, 2011 00:36

hi there,

I was just about to send you an email to reply to yours when I saw your post.

Thanks for the nice words...

On this occasion though, your issue was not heat related. Just poor quality parts.

There are some people that have had issues with the P1 and P2 PSU's failing due to heat, caps blowing etc, but all of the cases I myself have seen of this have been self inflicted, ie over heating caused by the machine being either...

Covered
Poor ventilation
Enclosed in a cupboard
Other machine on top of it

etc etc.

Unlike the S1 PSU which will eventually fail for everyone that owns an S1 - the P1 and P2 PSU's are a lot better design and whilst some people DO have heat and cap issues with them, the issues are a LOT more seldom than the S1.

Your caps on your P2 PSU were perfect!!! The fault was simply a few components that had failed, they were a crappy brand and tend to fail regularly. No amount of cooling is going to help with that.

The replacements I use are a much better brand and quality so re-occuring failure for this particular issue with you is unlikely.

Hope that helps, will still send you an email later on...

Mark
Beyonwiz fixer-up-erer-er-er-er

steve_aust

Post by steve_aust » Mon Nov 07, 2011 21:07

warkus wrote: over heating caused by the machine being either...
Covered
Poor ventilation
Enclosed in a cupboard
Mark
Hi Mark
My P2 is sitting in an enclosed TV cabinet. Its runs very hot. Putting my hand on top of the cabinet over where the power supply sits & at the rear of the box it is almost too hot to touch.
I am very keen to run a computer type fan sitting over the top ventilation holes, running all the time when the p2 is on.
Question:
Can I attach the leads of a 12V fan into the Beyonwiz power supply?
If yes, where would I attach?
(I know the colour code of the 5V / 12V leads that power the SATA drive & that is where I would go)
Regards
Steve

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 21:45

Go a USB powered fan... then you don't need to pull the lid at all, and it will only be running when the Wiz is on (I guess the same for the HDD one though..)
Tony

Jawbraeka
Apprentice

Help me mark

Post by Jawbraeka » Thu Dec 15, 2011 19:30

i have also had the dreaded 0000 error from turning the power off and then swapping out the hard disk to rescue some files via linux (i wish windows was that easy to allow access to the hard disk).. i put the hard disk back in and bam.. Error 0000. i have had the unit since 2009 so not too bad considering how much i use it.

Mark, if you still frequent the forums.. how much to fix and where do i send it?

otherwise, where can i get this baby serviced in Melbourne and can i get other modifications done to it also as i would like the USB voltage mod done where it will allow a USB HDD to operate properly (Mentioned somewhere in the forums but i hear great things about it being successful).. besides that it's out of warranty and i'm not going to Beyonwiz as i have just read through here the phrase "arm and a leg" and i need both of them...

it's ok for now as can still watch tv but i would like my beyonwiz box back...

also can people please tell me what the next best PVR to a beyonwiz is as i have heard of a magictv box and are considering one of them, but the lack of media playback is a downer but i hear it does convert to 1080P (even for a SD signal but read it on their website for confirmation.)

Paul55
Wizard

Re: Help me mark

Post by Paul55 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 21:51

Jawbraeka wrote:can people please tell me what the next best PVR to a beyonwiz is
I don't think anyone can tell you what the answer is because it depends on your priorities;
Cost
IceTV compatibility
Fully programmable skip
Analog inputs

... and many more.
If you like the Wiz, why not get another one with different remote - this means having one DP-P2 and one of any other model.
I like the Topfield TMS machines for their user interface and the ability to run TAPs.
The Magic is getting generally favourable reports over on DTV Forum, but there are few things missing that Beyonwiz and Topfield users take for granted.
The new HUMAX has some good features, but lacks fully programmable skip - won't be on my shopping list.
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

Gully

Post by Gully » Thu Dec 15, 2011 22:01

If you want to contact Mark, send him a PM.
Cheers
Gully

Brett
On probation

Post by Brett » Fri Dec 16, 2011 22:24

Me too. Error 0000 on P2.

By email dialogue, Mark confirmed that it was the PSU problem and provided instructions on its removal and postage to him. One week turn-around: I posted it last Thursday and received it back yesterday. The P2 is now working well again.

The service provided by Mark is most impressive. I received his initial email response within two hours of sending the PM. And the turn-around time mentioned above is of course almost all transit time; I imagine that Mark received the PSU, repaired it and shipped it out within the same day. And the cost was minimal – $55 including return postage you would not experience elsewhere.

Clearly, the experience related above could not have been better, but my experience prior to contacting Mark may be of interest (to anyone in the Gold Coast area).

The P2 was covered by a GG 3-year extended warranty (additional two years) and failed two weeks beyond that. Their phone support person gave me the details of the electronics repair service agent prior to discovering that the warranty had expired. She said that of course I could contact them for non-warranty service. So, I spoke to the electronics repair company and was told that the only thing to do following Error 0000 is to put the unit in the dustbin. I mentioned the posts on this forum but he said he was familiar with the forum but stood by his claim. I chose not to labour the point. I don’t know if it is appropriate to name and shame the repair company here, but perhaps we all need to be wary of such diagnosis.

prl
Wizard God

Re: Help me mark

Post by prl » Sat Dec 17, 2011 05:39

Jawbraeka wrote:i have also had the dreaded 0000 error from turning the power off and then swapping out the hard disk to rescue some files via linux (i wish windows was that easy to allow access to the hard disk). ...
The problem here is that Windows only allows cluster sizes up to 32kB on FAT32 HDDs, even though the FAT32 file system metadata allows them to be much bigger. Recording disks on Beyonwiz PVRs (internal and the external recording HDD on a DP-H1) use a cluster size of 512kB. Ironically, support for FAT32 on Windows isn't as good in many respects as on Linux (Beyonwizes run uClinux) or OS X - e.g. Windows native tools won't format any volume bigger than 32GB to FAT32, while Linux and OS X have no such restriction.

FAT32 is pretty much a legacy file system in WIndows. Don't expect support for it to get any better.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

jaysee
On probation

Post by jaysee » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:37

Hi all,

Just had to put another thankyou post for Mark in Perth. After a quick chat, I removed the power board and sent it to Perth from Sydney. All fixed, returned and reinstalled in a week....you just don't get service like that anymore!

Thanks Mark.

brianh
Wizard

Post by brianh » Tue Jan 17, 2012 15:11

I should put in my own vote of thanks. My sister lives in Noosa - her P2 had the dreaded 0000 error, thankfully my folks were visiting her and brought the unit down to me. I took some measurements & had a chat to Mark, he pointed me in the direction of the busted bits, I was able to repair the unit in time for it to go back north with my folks who returned the working unit to my sister.

Without Mark's knowledge of the P2 PSU and his guidance it would have meant a much longer time without the unit, as my sister wouldn't have been confident to extract the PSU.

Thanks Mark for your support!
Cheers,
Brian

1) 2 x T4, Samsung UA46C7000/Yamaha RX-V6A
2) Spare DP-P2s/ Samsung UA46C6900/Sony STR-DE497/RX-V540
Harmony 650 + all the spare remotes.....

pigdog85
On probation

Post by pigdog85 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 17:35

i just found this thread
my mothers dp-ps has the error 0000 msg im trying to see if warkus (mark) is still fixing these units it wont let me pm him as im a new user on this forum

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jan 22, 2018 17:47

Warkus helped me out with a DP-S1 replacement power supply, HDD and DVD drive in December last year. As far as I know he hasn't stopped doing Beyonwiz repairs since then.

You're probably best off contacting him by email or phone via his company contact page: http://decisivecomputersolutions.com.au/contact.html

You won't have to wait to be able to send PMs, and it seems to be a quicker way to contact him anyway.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

grumpy_one_au
Apprentice

Re: Error 0000 on DP-S1

Post by grumpy_one_au » Fri Mar 02, 2018 08:58

I'm brand new here and I hope I'm not going about this the wrong way. I just bought an old DP-S1 with the HDD missing because it had failed and not been replaced. I noticed immediately that the power supply board had 6 bulged electrolytic capacitors which I replaced. It now has 12.04 Volts on wire 3 (two away from the black wire of the output cable) and I fitted a PATA HDD out of another brand of PVR, without doing anything to format it. When I power up the DP-S1 it shows an incorrect time, and when I eventually persuade it to do the "Welcome" and "Loading" screens, it then says Error 0000. So all is not well: it doesn't behave consistently, and only once it perhaps 20 tries has it come up outputting TV, and even then it could not display HDTV, which may mean it has old firmware.

Can anyone give me some pointers on making sense out of this mess please?

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:21

The power supply is not fixed properly. Follow the repair instructions that Warkus posted in another thread or have him do the repairs for you. He can be contacted as described in the post above yours.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

grumpy_one_au
Apprentice

Post by grumpy_one_au » Fri Mar 02, 2018 14:41

Thanks for that. One thing that has mystified me is why wires 4 through 12 coming out of the power supply all have 18.75 Volts on them. Why have so many wires to do the same thing? Can anyone tell me what the voltage should be for each wire? I'll take your advice and focus on the power supply board, but it would be nice to be able to know when I'm making progress.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Mar 02, 2018 15:18

grumpy_one_au wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 14:41
Why have so many wires to do the same thing?
To handle peak current demands without sag.
grumpy_one_au wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the voltage should be for each wire? I'll take your advice and focus on the power supply board, but it would be nice to be able to know when I'm making progress.
Search these forums for posts by Warkus that have detailed information on repairing the various Beyonwiz power supplies. They should explain enough to get the job done. If they don't, it's probably safer that you get the SMPS module off to Warkus for a professional repair.

Blog.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Mar 02, 2018 15:30

peteru wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 15:18
grumpy_one_au wrote:
Why have so many wires to do the same thing?
To handle peak current demands without sag.
grumpy_one_au wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the voltage should be for each wire? I'll take your advice and focus on the power supply board, but it would be nice to be able to know when I'm making progress.
Search these forums for posts by Warkus that have detailed information on repairing the various Beyonwiz power supplies. They should explain enough to get the job done. If they don't, it's probably safer that you get the SMPS module off to Warkus for a professional repair.

DP-S1 200GB power supply topic - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3587

DP-S1 320GB power supply topic - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7191

grumpy_one_au
Apprentice

Post by grumpy_one_au » Sat Mar 03, 2018 15:21

I have followed Warkus's instructions, which were very clear and effective. At the end of the process the power supply now works properly; kudos to Warkus, and to this forum for getting me this far. When I reinstalled the power supply the DP-S1 booted up immediately and wants me to initialize the HDD (which I took from another PVR and have installed permanently in the DP-S1). I don't believe I can do the initialisation because I do not have a remote control. My general plan is to set up an Arduino-based apparatus to produce the IR signals listed in the Beyonwiz manual, and use it to teach them to a learning-type remote control. That is going to take a while, and in the meantime I don't know of any way to initialise the hard drive, or update the firmware (currently the 350 version). If there is a way to work around this, and move forward with this more quickly, will someone tell me please?

Thanks again to forum members for both having and sharing a remarkable knowledge of Beyonwiz PVRs.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Mar 03, 2018 16:03

Hi Grumpy_one_au,
grumpy_one_au wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 15:21
I have followed Warkus's instructions, which were very clear and effective. At the end of the process the power supply now works properly; kudos to Warkus, and to this forum for getting me this far. When I reinstalled the power supply the DP-S1 booted up immediately and wants me to initialize the HDD (which I took from another PVR and have installed permanently in the DP-S1). I don't believe I can do the initialisation because I do not have a remote control. My general plan is to set up an Arduino-based apparatus to produce the IR signals listed in the Beyonwiz manual, and use it to teach them to a learning-type remote control. That is going to take a while, and in the meantime I don't know of any way to initialise the hard drive, or update the firmware (currently the 350 version). If there is a way to work around this, and move forward with this more quickly, will someone tell me please?

Thanks again to forum members for both having and sharing a remarkable knowledge of Beyonwiz PVRs.
Do you have an Android smart mobile phone with an IR emitter? If so, have a look at https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... oid.irplus. This product has all the Beyonwiz remote controls in its data base. If you don't have an IR emitter you can purchase an IR emitter that connects to the headphone jack on your phone.

Regards,
Ian.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Mar 03, 2018 16:07

For a quick fix, you could get a Logitech Harmony remote. They are easy to get, my local Woolworths has them on the shelf just under the USB drives. I believe they can be configured to send DP-series IR codes without requiring access to the original remote. I have no practical experience with one, but many people on these forums have been using them for years.

Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Mar 03, 2018 17:34

peteru wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 16:07
... I believe that [Harmony remotes] can be configured to send DP-series IR codes without requiring access to the original remote. ...

They can.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

grumpy_one_au
Apprentice

Post by grumpy_one_au » Sun Mar 04, 2018 06:30

Thanks for those suggestions. Ian, I use an old Samsung Galaxy S3 which I believe is Android-based. I'll look into whether it is within my technical resources to do as you suggest. The Harmony solution seems very expensive for a what, 15-year-old Beyonwiz, though I don't doubt it could work.

I'm very impressed with this forum. I have never even visited one before that has the sheer resources (experienced, informed and involved members) that this one has.

grumpy_one_au
Apprentice

Post by grumpy_one_au » Sun Mar 04, 2018 16:57

Update: I have installed the recommended app onto a phone with IR transmission capability, but unfortunately it had to be a borrowed one as my S3 does not handle IR. Therefore I have begun using the phone to teach the controls to a learning remote control so I can return the phone to its owner. The phone controls the DP-S1 perfectly as far as I can tell so far, and the learning remote seems to be learning successfully. In future if the learning remote forgets a function occasionally, I'll just borrow the phone again to refresh its memory. Thank you again to forum members, it looks as if I will have a fully functional DP-S1 very soon.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Mar 04, 2018 17:41

grumpy_one_au wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 15:21
... I do not have a remote control. ...

Did you ask warkus whether he had one he could sell to you?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

grumpy_one_au
Apprentice

Post by grumpy_one_au » Sun Mar 04, 2018 21:43

I haven't yet been in touch with Warkus, though I should send him a PM when I figure out how, to thank him for his instructions on repairing the power supply. The truth is it's unlikely I'd have done all that it took to fix that board if it hadn't been for his insistence in that document. So far as the remote control is concerned though, I want to run out the string on the solution I've been working on, using the phone to teach the learning remote, then try to use the learning remote for ongoing operations. So far this Beyonwiz project has cost very little: strangely enough nobody but me wanted to bid on a DP-S1 with no HDD, no remote, and a very sick power supply. Everything else I've needed, I already had in stock from past projects. At this stage I'd like to finish the story and find out just how usable a Beyonwiz I can actually acquire for $1.

Thank you for the suggestion though, for some reason it hadn't occurred to me to ask Warkus for a price on a second-hand remote.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 15:50

grumpy_one_au wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 21:43
I haven't yet been in touch with Warkus, though I should send him a PM when I figure out how, to thank him for his instructions on repairing the power supply. The truth is it's unlikely I'd have done all that it took to fix that board if it hadn't been for his insistence in that document. So far as the remote control is concerned though, I want to run out the string on the solution I've been working on, using the phone to teach the learning remote, then try to use the learning remote for ongoing operations. So far this Beyonwiz project has cost very little: strangely enough nobody but me wanted to bid on a DP-S1 with no HDD, no remote, and a very sick power supply. Everything else I've needed, I already had in stock from past projects. At this stage I'd like to finish the story and find out just how usable a Beyonwiz I can actually acquire for $1.

Thank you for the suggestion though, for some reason it hadn't occurred to me to ask Warkus for a price on a second-hand remote.
Good to know my retired DP-S1 isn't completely worthless then - but it has a 320GB ide hard drive which I never filled. Maybe I'd get $2 with the HDD or $3 with the HDD and remote... :lol: :lol: :lol: Can't bear to part with it though.

Only today I've emailed Warkus about the return of a T3 PSU I've just swapped out and a P2 motherboard repair. To contact Warkus I email to: 'Decisive Computer Solutions - Support' <support@decisivecomputersolutions.com.au>.

Paul
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Return to “DP-P2, FV-L1, DP-Lite, DP-S1 and DP-P1”