Whats on the agenda for next release ?

Beyonwiz HD PVR / Network Media Players including Freeview models.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

martymoose

Re: scroll menu on front of box

Post by martymoose » Wed Sep 17, 2008 06:26

diesel wrote:
pjc3 wrote:
martymoose wrote:i would like a feature to change the scroll message on front
i have 2 chanells NBN DIGITAL and PRIME COFFS HARBOUR
which scroll right to left all the time
and it gets very anoying
i would like a way to change it to just nbn or prime

cheers
It is already a feature. Go into "list" and edit name there
I'm glad they added this but it's a little tricky in it's location. I would have thought somewhere in the Setup menu would have been more intuitive
mate just had a good look
could you let us know where the option is
cheers will make the missus very happy

Gully

Post by Gully » Wed Sep 17, 2008 07:35

martymoose wrote:mate just had a good look
Just highlight the one you want to edit and press the Info button - can't you see it listed on the right of the help panel?
Cheers
Gully

diesel
Wizard

Post by diesel » Wed Sep 17, 2008 22:03

Gully wrote:
martymoose wrote:mate just had a good look
Just highlight the one you want to edit and press the Info button - can't you see it listed on the right of the help panel?
Hit the "List" button on the RCU to bring up the channel listing. then do as Gully wrote.

BTW, not sure if it only works in a Favourite channels group listing.Can't check as both tuners are currently recording

dcw
Master

Post by dcw » Wed Sep 17, 2008 22:17

peteru wrote:2048 MB of RAM vs 64 MB RAM
512 MB graphics vs 64 MB graphics
2200 MHz CPU vs 200MHz CPU
1333 FSB vs 133 FSB

etc...

Quite a few extra possibilities open up on the PC when you have 32x, 8x, 11x and 10x as many resources to use. On top of that a programmer community of hundreds of thousands vs a handful.
Absolutely agree and I understand that the underlying hardware bears no comparison. I just think they'd have been better not to embarass themselves by including such a poor implementation. Would have been better to have left out these functions entirely.

Like you I also think that they would do better now to concentrate on opening up the firmware for 3rd party development. I can't really understand what stops them. Is it that hard? Surely they could only benefit. After all they'd capitalise by selling more hardware on the back of additional functionality developed at no cost to themselves.

Dave.

nkbk
Apprentice

Post by nkbk » Thu Sep 18, 2008 15:43

yes it does play aac files when incorporated in a video file, but for some reason doesnt see standard aac files (not the ones bought from itunes) Ive read elsewhere that the file extension has to be changed. It would be so good just to be able to see them direct from Itunes. On PS3 you can see them if you use a software called Tversity, but unfortunately this cant be used with dps1

thanks again,
Nick

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Sep 18, 2008 15:59

nkbk wrote:yes it does play aac files when incorporated in a video file, but for some reason doesnt see standard aac files (not the ones bought from itunes) Ive read elsewhere that the file extension has to be changed. It would be so good just to be able to see them direct from Itunes. On PS3 you can see them if you use a software called Tversity, but unfortunately this cant be used with dps1

thanks again,
Nick
Hi, Nick, funny you should raise this :)

I tested this myself yesterday, by creating a hard link in the file system between a .m4a file in iTunes and a new name with a .aac extension (using the ln command in Terminal), and it played without a problem. Using a Unix soft link or a MacOS shortcut may also work.

This morning I requested on the beta forum that Beyonwiz add .m4a files to be recognised as playable, and this afternoon I got a reply to say that they were looking at the file extension logic in the player and adding .m4a would be easy, provided that the file type recognition code recognised the contents as playable. I've offered to make some samples available to them.

It seems that in my iTunes library at least, tracks bought from iTunes Store with DRM have the extension .m4p. I wouldn't expect them to be playable on the Beyonwiz. I'm not sure about tracks bought from iTunes Store that don't have DRM, either what their extension is, or whether they will play on the Beyonwiz.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

nkbk
Apprentice

Post by nkbk » Thu Sep 18, 2008 16:58

Well, I dont care too much about tracks bought from Itunes, cause most of my music is from CD, but i just cant wait to be able to have people around listen to all my cds from itunes and not have to put all the cds back the next day:)
I am sooo lazy

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Sep 18, 2008 17:08

nkbk wrote:Well, I dont care too much about tracks bought from Itunes, cause most of my music is from CD, but i just cant wait to be able to have people around listen to all my cds from itunes and not have to put all the cds back the next day:)
I am sooo lazy
There is one small problem that I've found since I posted. Apparently iTunes uses the .m4a extension for tracks encoded in both AAC and Apple Lossless. I don't know whether the Beyonwiz has a codec for Apple Lossless. I'll try making some Apple Lossless tracks and see what happens :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Thu Sep 18, 2008 17:48

Guys, here is a sneak peek of the next firmware:

* Allow file copying/moving from all media to three writable media. (DP-H1 problem should be solved by this.)
* Direct playback of a DVD ISO image.
* Time ascending sorting option for recordings.
* Automatic playback of next file is configurable.
* DVD r*g**n fr** code is memorized after being set.
* 4:3 Pan&Scan mode is restored and working.
* 4:3 DVD on 16:9 mode is displayed correctly.
* Some files playable in 247 but not in 261 are now playable. (But still exceptions may be there.)
* WizTV.
* plus more that we don't know about yet.

And in case you were thinking of asking, no I don't know what WizTV is yet...... :?:

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Sep 18, 2008 17:54

Hi Madmax,
madmax wrote:And in case you were thinking of asking, no I don't know what WizTV is yet...... :?:
Let's just say that it will annoy TiVo no end. In simple terms WizTV will be Beyonwiz's implementation of an Internet based portal. This is something TiVo are looking to introduce in Australia sometime next year.

By the way, this feature will finally make use of the WizTV button on the remote control. ;)

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Sep 18, 2008 18:00

Hi,

I would also like to mention that the list of fixes that Madmax has provided is not yet a definitive list. This list more or less reflects items that are mostly done and ready to go. Beyonwiz is still looking at some of the other high profile issues to see what can be sensibly considered for attention and inclusion in the next release. In spite of what some people choose to believe, a number of us are lobbying Beyonwiz to look at some of the "big ticket" issues that have been reported in this and the DTV forums.

Regards,
Ian.

pjc3
Guru

Post by pjc3 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 19:07

madmax wrote: * Direct playback of a DVD ISO image.
3 biggies for me :D

Philip

j s
Master

Post by j s » Fri Sep 19, 2008 00:49

IanSav wrote:Hi,

I would also like to mention that the list of fixes that Madmax has provided is not yet a definitive list. This list more or less reflects items that are mostly done and ready to go. Beyonwiz is still looking at some of the other high profile issues to see what can be sensibly considered for attention and inclusion in the next release. In spite of what some people choose to believe, a number of us are lobbying Beyonwiz to look at some of the "big ticket" issues that have been reported in this and the DTV forums.

Regards,
Ian.
Is tuner reception still on the list?

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Fri Sep 19, 2008 07:30

j s wrote:
IanSav wrote:Hi,

Regards,
Ian.
Is tuner reception still on the list?
Second the question
Screen: Panasonic TH-60ST60A; BeyonWiz U4; T3; Panasonic BD-35 Blu_Ray player

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Sep 19, 2008 08:27

Hi J s & Grampus,

What tuner reception issues are you talking about?

I do not believe that tuner reception issues are still on the list. If I remember correctly, when Beyonwiz released the firmware update with the Tuner Information screen Beyonwiz Australia put out a call for anyone with reception issues to contact them. Of the few people who made contact I believe most/all reception issues reported proved to have causes external to the unit. (I wasn't party to this investigation so I don't know how this resolved in all cases.)

In a recent telephone call I had with Beyonwiz Australia I asked about the status of reception problems. I was told that of the people who made contact, all who followed through reported that at least one of cables, antennas, electrical interference or FM radio signal overload was the cause of their issues. I believe some people didn't come back to Beyonwiz so I believe those reports were shelved.

As you appear to still be having reception issues then I suggest that you give Beyonwiz Australia a call and discuss the matter with them.

Regards,
Ian.

j s
Master

Post by j s » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:29

Ian,

I wasn't aware of this call from DPG. Is there anyone in particular to contact?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:06

Hi J s,
j s wrote:I wasn't aware of this call from DPG. Is there anyone in particular to contact?
It wasn't a call *from* DPG, it was to be a call *to* DPG. I would give them a call and let the person who answers the phone know that you would like to discuss reception issues. What DPG are looking for are cases where all the usual checks are done and fixed yet reception problems persist.

Typically you should be walked through a check list something like this:
- is your antenna is correctly aligned and in good working order
- what is the quality of analogue reception
- is your antenna rated to receive all the digital channels
- are using good quality quad shielded co-ax cables throughout
- are the connectors clean, in good condition and tightly fitting
- is anything plugged into the antenna out of the Beyonwiz, if so, does reception quality change/improve if that connection is removed
- do you notice issues when any particular switches or appliances are used in the house
- have you tried other digital tuner devices on that connection
- have you tried your Beyonwiz at another location
- have you tried a FM trap filter

If all the checks and tests pass and you still have issues then DPG should be interested to pursue your case. From what I was told none of the callers who worked through DPG's list still had an issue when they checked and fixed all the environmental conditions.

Regards,
Ian.

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Fri Sep 19, 2008 14:41

IanSav wrote:Hi J s & Grampus,

What tuner reception issues are you talking about?

I do not believe that tuner reception issues are still on the list. If I remember correctly, when Beyonwiz released the firmware update with the Tuner Information screen Beyonwiz Australia put out a call for anyone with reception issues to contact them. Of the few people who made contact I believe most/all reception issues reported proved to have causes external to the unit. (I wasn't party to this investigation so I don't know how this resolved in all cases.)

In a recent telephone call I had with Beyonwiz Australia I asked about the status of reception problems. I was told that of the people who made contact, all who followed through reported that at least one of cables, antennas, electrical interference or FM radio signal overload was the cause of their issues. I believe some people didn't come back to Beyonwiz so I believe those reports were shelved.

As you appear to still be having reception issues then I suggest that you give Beyonwiz Australia a call and discuss the matter with them.

Regards,
Ian.
Please trawl through this topic.
http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... sc&start=0

You will find that I for one have been fairly vocal about the tenderness of the front end.
In my mind, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence from a number of users, that it doesn't hack it very well when faced with a less than perfect signal.

To reiterate, I, along with a few others have had a number of devices on the same aerial, and the BW comes out a very poor last. Where other devices are watchable, with the odd glitch due to poor signal, the BW is totally unwatchable under these conditions.

I have had at various times, a DGTEC5000I, Strong SRT5490, PC based Tiny USB tuner, and now a Philips TV with HD tuner, on the same aerial run.
I for one am not looking to have the BW perform flawlessly on a less than perfect signal, but it would be nice if it would perform on a par with the other devices.

I have rung BW support in the last few weeks on this issue, and it appeared that at that time there may be an impression in Korea that the problem has gone away.

It was recognised by Korea that there was a perceived issue with the front end, and at one stage Korea had planned to send someone to Aust to check this out. This never eventuated.

I believe there was some work done on the tuner to try and acquire the channel a lot quicker than previously. But it still has not resolved the tenderness of the front end.
See release notes for .235
The tuner is locked faster after loosing frequency locking
I suspect that this was used as the vehicle to remove the tuner problems from the list.

It had been reported a number of times, and you just don't keep reporting it everytime it happens.

It is a little difficult to keep on top of a problem with BW, as they do not seem to have any formal customer follow up procedure. (case #'s allocated to problems and given to the customer).

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Sep 19, 2008 14:51

Hi Grampus,

As I suggested above, please call Beyonwiz ASAP and get your issue back on their agenda. If you can, ring them today. One of their main techs is going on leave next week.

Regards,
Ian.

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Fri Sep 19, 2008 14:58

IanSav wrote:Hi Grampus,

As I suggested above, please call Beyonwiz ASAP and get your issue back on their agenda. If you can, ring them today. One of their main techs is going on leave next week.

Regards,
Ian.
already done probably 2 weeks ago.
That time the tech recognised my input on the forum.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Sep 19, 2008 15:02

Hi Grampus,
grampus wrote:already done probably 2 weeks ago.
As they say in the classics "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.", I *really* think you should give them a call again now!

Regards,
Ian.

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Fri Sep 19, 2008 15:58

grampus wrote:already done probably 2 weeks ago.
As they say in the classics "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.", I *really* think you should give them a call again now!

Regards,
Ian.
He has now been to the well again.
The only thing I got out of it was.
They will send off an email back to head office.

The thing that annoys me a little is that this is now the 3rd time I have contacted BW on this particular issue.
Being no formal fault reporting there is no follow up to say that it had been reported and the response was XYZ
There is no mechanism for any feedback.

ocdi
Apprentice

Post by ocdi » Fri Sep 19, 2008 16:50

pjc3 wrote:
madmax wrote: * Direct playback of a DVD ISO image.
3 biggies for me :D

Philip
Second that! I can't wait for the next firmware now. Does anyone know if it will require unencrypted .iso files or whether we can just dd if=/dev/dvd of=some.iso and then get that to play. I have a Linux box with a DVD drive that can do this quite easily.

Hmm I wonder if a symbolic link via samba to /dev/dvd would work (ie direct reading off the DVD drive)? I will have fun with this. :-)

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Sep 19, 2008 21:48

Hi Grampus,
grampus wrote:He has now been to the well again.
The only thing I got out of it was.
They will send off an email back to head office.

The thing that annoys me a little is that this is now the 3rd time I have contacted BW on this particular issue.
Being no formal fault reporting there is no follow up to say that it had been reported and the response was XYZ
There is no mechanism for any feedback.
This was not the response I was expecting you to get when you called. (I had called in on your behalf earlier in the day.) Did you identify yourself as "Grampus" from the Beyonwiz forums? If so, perhaps they are checking a few things before responding. If not then they may not have put two and two together to talk about the options I had discussed with them earlier.

Regards,
Ian.

SomebodyElse
Guru

Post by SomebodyElse » Sat Sep 20, 2008 06:00

IanSav wrote:Typically you should be walked through a check list something like this:
- is your antenna is correctly aligned and in good working order
- what is the quality of analogue reception
- is your antenna rated to receive all the digital channels
- are using good quality quad shielded co-ax cables throughout
- are the connectors clean, in good condition and tightly fitting
- is anything plugged into the antenna out of the Beyonwiz, if so, does reception quality change/improve if that connection is removed
- do you notice issues when any particular switches or appliances are used in the house
- have you tried other digital tuner devices on that connection
- have you tried your Beyonwiz at another location
- have you tried a FM trap filter

If all the checks and tests pass and you still have issues then DPG should be interested to pursue your case. From what I was told none of the callers who worked through DPG's list still had an issue when they checked and fixed all the environmental conditions.

Regards,
Ian.
This is all very well, but surely there's only one question that matters... does any other digital receiver work OK from that same antenna outlet?

My Toppy sat in the lounge room for a year or two reliably recording whatever it was asked, with a very occasional recording glitch. I unplugged it and put the Wiz in its place and saw a dramatic increase in recording glitches. I still use the Toppy as a backup, and now if I record anything I want to save, I take a copy from the Toppy as I know it will be fault free.

Now DPG can throw any number of deflective questions about antennae, cabling, fittings etc, but it doesn't change one simple and unequivocal fact - in my case the Toppy is much less susceptible to signal reception issues than the Wiz.

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Sat Sep 20, 2008 07:14

This was not the response I was expecting you to get when you called. (I had called in on your behalf earlier in the day.) Did you identify yourself as "Grampus" from the Beyonwiz forums? If so, perhaps they are checking a few things before responding. If not then they may not have put two and two together to talk about the options I had discussed with them earlier.

Regards,
Ian.
Ian, thanks for taking up the cudgels on our behalf.
Actually, I gave them your handle as the prompting source.
I may. not have given them mine.
Although I recall on my previous contact, I didn't need to, as I was recognised by the descriptions of the problem. They were reading the forum.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Sep 20, 2008 09:44

Hi Grampus,
grampus wrote:Ian, thanks for taking up the cudgels on our behalf.
Actually, I gave them your handle as the prompting source.
I may. not have given them mine.
Although I recall on my previous contact, I didn't need to, as I was recognised by the descriptions of the problem. They were reading the forum.
I wonder if one of the other staff, and not the support manager, took the call. Ah well, not to worry. The person I want you to speak with is now on leave, I think it is only for a week. When they return I hope they will get in touch with you and follow up on the discussions they had with me.

Regards,
Ian.

Bruiser333
Master

Post by Bruiser333 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 14:47

SomebodyElse wrote:My Toppy sat in the lounge room for a year or two reliably recording whatever it was asked, with a very occasional recording glitch. I unplugged it and put the Wiz in its place and saw a dramatic increase in recording glitches. I still use the Toppy as a backup, and now if I record anything I want to save, I take a copy from the Toppy as I know it will be fault free.
It *may* not always be a fair comparison; there could be other not so obvious factors in the equation. For example, if you are using an HDMI cable from the Wiz, the scenario is not exactly the same because the Toppy doesn't support HDMI even though both machines are connected to the same antenna outlet.

I'm pretty sure I can remember some discussions around the time when the reception discussions were happening, to do with reversing the HDMI cables in order to fix some 'reception'-like issues (in some cases). See here for example.

I saw something similar at a friends place; it wasn't a Wiz but involved a DVD player connected to the TV by HDMI. When viewing FTA, reception was really bad (snowy and herringbone pattern), but reversing the HDMI cable made a huge difference. Turning off the DVD unit also fixed the issue from memory, but if it was on other input sources were affected.

Worth a try, if you use HDMI and haven't tried it before. Or even see if using component cables makes a difference.

Cheers,

Bruiser

bogandaddy
Apprentice

Post by bogandaddy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 17:21

SomebodyElse wrote:

My Toppy sat in the lounge room for a year or two reliably recording whatever it was asked, with a very occasional recording glitch. I unplugged it and put the Wiz in its place and saw a dramatic increase in recording glitches. I still use the Toppy as a backup, and now if I record anything I want to save, I take a copy from the Toppy as I know it will be fault free.

Now DPG can throw any number of deflective questions about antennae, cabling, fittings etc, but it doesn't change one simple and unequivocal fact - in my case the Toppy is much less susceptible to signal reception issues than the Wiz.
In my experience the Beyonwiz is 100 % reliable for recording. As much as I love the toppy 5000 ,it was in no way as reliable as the BW.

I would have a missed timer with the Toppy regularly say every month, and accepted that as the state of the art.

My BW is nearly a year old and has NEVER missed a timer...more than 300 programmmes including two weeks of consecutive all night cricket while I was on holiday. No more "glitches" than when watching live either and no lost corrupted records that I got from the Toppy on a few occasions.

Anyone having these kind of problems should check their equipment,including the BW

cwiggles
Master

Post by cwiggles » Sat Sep 20, 2008 20:57

bogandaddy wrote:
SomebodyElse wrote:

In my experience the Beyonwiz is 100 % reliable for recording. As much as I love the toppy 5000 ,it was in no way as reliable as the BW.

I would have a missed timer with the Toppy regularly say every month, and accepted that as the state of the art.

My BW is nearly a year old and has NEVER missed a timer...more than 300 programmmes including two weeks of consecutive all night cricket while I was on holiday. No more "glitches" than when watching live either and no lost corrupted records that I got from the Toppy on a few occasions.

Anyone having these kind of problems should check their equipment,including the BW
If I am reading SomebodyElse post correctly they were refering to tuner related issues and not timer issues.

Craig

Craig
VU+ DUO2 (running OpenATV 7.1)
DP-Litei
Sharp Aquos 46" LED TV, Sony BPD-270 Bluray Player

SomebodyElse
Guru

Post by SomebodyElse » Sun Sep 21, 2008 08:48

cwiggles wrote:
bogandaddy wrote:
SomebodyElse wrote:

If I am reading SomebodyElse post correctly they were refering to tuner related issues and not timer issues.

Craig

Craig
Correct, thanks Craig. My comments were specifically referring to the less than ideal reception capabilities of the Wiz. And I don't use HDMI - it was literally unplug one and plug in the other using all the same connectors. In these circumstances I'd take a lot of convincing that it's anything other than a weakness in the Wiz.

Holden

Post by Holden » Sun Sep 21, 2008 13:30

I don't know if it has been mentioned but being able to mark a file as watched would be handy for when it comes to cleaning up the hdd

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Sep 21, 2008 13:39

Holden wrote:I don't know if it has been mentioned but being able to mark a file as watched would be handy for when it comes to cleaning up the hdd
Create a folder called Watched. Move watched programs into it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

uanmi
Apprentice

Post by uanmi » Sun Sep 21, 2008 14:16

The most important thing missing from the beyonwiz is being able to play a DVD from a network folder.

With all the new media player based devices - including my notebook which has a DVB-T built in - the beyonwiz is lacking in a major and basic feature by not permitting DVD playback from a network folder.

Can this please be provided or a reason given as to why it cannot be provided.

regards, mark

Bruiser333
Master

Post by Bruiser333 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 14:18

prl wrote:
Holden wrote:I don't know if it has been mentioned but being able to mark a file as watched would be handy for when it comes to cleaning up the hdd
I'd say Holden was looking for an icon or some other way of identifying that a file appearing in the filelist had been watched, in order to help with deciding whether to delete it a later time.

Personally once I've watched something, I delete it pretty much on the spot but others will do things differently of course.

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sun Sep 21, 2008 14:25

uanmi wrote:The most important thing missing from the beyonwiz is being able to play a DVD from a network folder.

With all the new media player based devices - including my notebook which has a DVB-T built in - the beyonwiz is lacking in a major and basic feature by not permitting DVD playback from a network folder.

Can this please be provided or a reason given as to why it cannot be provided.

regards, mark
MadMax said as much although I'm not clear if it means playing an ISO file on a disc from the S1 or over the network available for P1/2/H1 as well?
http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... 8062#38062
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

uanmi
Apprentice

Post by uanmi » Sun Sep 21, 2008 14:29

The iso is a good step forward if it can be played from a network folder, but really we should be able to play a DVD straight from a network folder like nearly all DVD software provides now.

Playing an .iso from a disk = a DVD - nothing gained here.

DVD from a network folder is a must have.

regards, Mark

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Sep 21, 2008 14:33

Hi Mark,
uanmi wrote:The iso is a good step forward if it can be played from a network folder, but really we should be able to play a DVD straight from a network folder like nearly all DVD software provides now.

Playing an .iso from a disk = a DVD - nothing gained here.

DVD from a network folder is a must have.
As Netmask and Madmax have said, playback of a DVD image is planned for the next firmware release. We don't yet know if this will be in the from of ISO or IFO format (or both). We will know more when the beta version is released.

Regards,
Ian.

SomebodyElse
Guru

Post by SomebodyElse » Sun Sep 21, 2008 15:01

IanSav wrote:As Netmask and Madmax have said, playback of a DVD image is planned for the next firmware release. We don't yet know if this will be in the from of ISO or IFO format (or both). We will know more when the beta version is released.
Any chance they could fix physical DVD playback first?

Or is this an acknowledgement that they're unable to get the physical DVD player fully functional and our only way forward will be to rip every DVD to an ISO before we can play virtual DVDs on the Wiz via the network?!

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 15:13

SomebodyElse wrote:Any chance they could fix physical DVD playback first?

Or is this an acknowledgement that they're unable to get the physical DVD player fully functional and our only way forward will be to rip every DVD to an ISO before we can play virtual DVDs on the Wiz via the network?!
I believe there is an adage that mentions a silk purse and a sow's ear :wink: :wink: :roll:
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Sep 21, 2008 16:08

Hi SomebodyElse,
SomebodyElse wrote:Any chance they could fix physical DVD playback first?

I know I said I would no longer respond to your comments but...

The ISO/IFO playback support will come as an enhancement via a regular firmware update. This enhancement was on the cards and has been requested by users of all models of Beyonwiz and not just DP-S1 owners. This enhancement in no way reflects or acknowledges any unfixable aspect of the physical DVD drive.

The DVD player issues are being investigated by Beyonwiz engineers at the moment. I don't know what has been determined so far. The main problem is that these issues are not present on all disks or for all users. While I doubt there will be any fixes in the next firmware release I do know the Beyonwiz is investigating the reports of problems with these drives and will work toward a solution ASAP.

Regards,
Ian.

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sun Sep 21, 2008 16:13

I don't have a S1 so i don't really know if this is possible but, as they say, is it possible to swap out the existing drive and substitute another or is the firmware located and integrated into the motherboard of the S1? I'm sure someone has had this thought before..
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

diesel
Wizard

Post by diesel » Sun Sep 21, 2008 16:40

madmax wrote:Guys, here is a sneak peek of the next firmware:
* Allow file copying/moving from all media to three writable media. (DP-H1 problem should be solved by this.)
* WizTV.
These sound really good. ISO file playback is a big win for me and I'm curious of the WizTV functionality, though I am not expecting much to be honest

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Sep 21, 2008 19:07

Hi Netmask,
netmask wrote:I don't have a S1 so i don't really know if this is possible but, as they say, is it possible to swap out the existing drive and substitute another or is the firmware located and integrated into the motherboard of the S1? I'm sure someone has had this thought before..
I believe that some of the testing has used alternate DVD mechanisms. I don't know if this is to be considered as a solution or just a test to see if issues stay with the drive or with the Beyonwiz. We need to allow the testig and analysis to proceed and I am sure we will be told the outcome.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Sep 21, 2008 22:38

IanSav wrote:Hi Netmask,
netmask wrote:I don't have a S1 so i don't really know if this is possible but, as they say, is it possible to swap out the existing drive and substitute another or is the firmware located and integrated into the motherboard of the S1? I'm sure someone has had this thought before..
I believe that some of the testing has used alternate DVD mechanisms. I don't know if this is to be considered as a solution or just a test to see if issues stay with the drive or with the Beyonwiz. We need to allow the testig and analysis to proceed and I am sure we will be told the outcome.

Regards,
Ian.
The DVD driver in the Beyonwiz firmware is for a Philips/LMS CD-ROM cm206. If one of them fits, then presumably it would work.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Sep 21, 2008 22:59

Hi Peter,
prl wrote:The DVD driver in the Beyonwiz firmware is for a Philips/LMS CD-ROM cm206. If one of them fits, then presumably it would work.
Given that all these devices appear to be standard ATA I would guess than any standard ATA DVD drive should be acceptable to the Beyonwiz.

It would be interesting to see what firmware is on the Beyonwiz drive and what is the latest firmware available for that model.

Regards,
Ian.

Holden

Post by Holden » Mon Sep 22, 2008 06:41

Bruiser333 wrote:
prl wrote:
I'd say Holden was looking for an icon or some other way of identifying that a file appearing in the filelist had been watched, in order to help with deciding whether to delete it a later time.

Personally once I've watched something, I delete it pretty much on the spot but others will do things differently of course.
You have got it spot on Bruiser :wink: , because I'm not the only one that uses the Beyonwiz others in the family may want to watch the program too so if I see it has already been watched then I delete it when I'm finished with it

It's just I have been used to this feature with the OzArchive top on my Topfield Masterpiece
I'm still getting used to the Beyonwiz and it's the little things you notice
I still love it though :D

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Sep 22, 2008 09:09

Holden wrote:
Bruiser333 wrote:
prl wrote:

You have got it spot on Bruiser :wink: , because I'm not the only one that uses the Beyonwiz others in the family may want to watch the program too so if I see it has already been watched then I delete it when I'm finished with it

It's just I have been used to this feature with the OzArchive top on my Topfield Masterpiece
I'm still getting used to the Beyonwiz and it's the little things you notice
I still love it though :D
Hi, Bruiser. Yes, that's what I assumed Holden was trying to do. I don't see how my suggestion fails to meet the need. It's not as convenient as a single press to set a flag on a recording, but I don't see anywhere else where it fails to meet the requirements. I used to do something similar with my Topfield 7000 when I had it, but because we're pretty much watch-and-delete for everything, it was a folder for things that we hadn't got around to watching, but wanted to get out of the main recording list.

I think that using folders creatively is a much more general mechanism than having specific flags on recordings. It also works for media other than Beyonwiz recordings.

I don't think either a single flag or a Watched folder addresses the problem of deciding whether everyone in a household who wanted to watch something has watched it.

The Beyonwiz already has a built-in way of telling, in most cases, whether (and how far through) a recording was watched. It's the resume marker. If the recording has padding, the resume marker will be set. If it hasn't been watched, it won't be set. If someone's part-way through, it will be set part-way through (and after testing it, you might want to skip back 10 secs after checking it, so the person who's watching doesn't miss something.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

GregH
Master

Post by GregH » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:37

diesel wrote:
madmax wrote:Guys, here is a sneak peek of the next firmware:
* WizTV.
These sound really good. ISO file playback is a big win for me and I'm curious of the WizTV functionality, though I am not expecting much to be honest

WizTV.....what is it actually? Is it stuff from the net? Is it like on demand from Foxtel? etc. I'm looking forward to this.

Return to “DP-P2, FV-L1, DP-Lite, DP-S1 and DP-P1”