[Official Comment] Tuner Reception Issue

Beyonwiz HD PVR / Network Media Players including Freeview models.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Aug 07, 2010 16:30

Hi Bruce85,
Bruce85 wrote:Which machines cause impulse noise?
I was thinking along the lines of anything that may have moving parts and may have electrical arcing as part of its function. That is something that is likely to be creating *lots* of electrical noise.

The devices don't need to be close to the Beyonwiz, they can be anywhere near or along the antenna cable path. The stronger the noise the further from the antenna it may be located.

Regards,
Ian.

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 22:25

IanSav wrote:Hi Bruce85,
Bruce85 wrote:Which machines cause impulse noise?
I was thinking along the lines of anything that may have moving parts and may have electrical arcing as part of its function. That is something that is likely to be creating *lots* of electrical noise.

The devices don't need to be close to the Beyonwiz, they can be anywhere near or along the antenna cable path. The stronger the noise the further from the antenna it may be located.

Regards,
Ian.
Hi Ian,

I cannot think of anything other than the air conditioning unit, though it's not located near the coaxial cable that runs from the antenna to the TV.

Everything was working well this afternoon.

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Sun Aug 08, 2010 06:17

Bruce85 wrote: Which machines cause impulse noise?
B4 I worked on my Antenna, I had interference every time the fridge door was opened.
Screen: Panasonic TH-60ST60A; BeyonWiz U4; T3; Panasonic BD-35 Blu_Ray player

passmorelb

Poor reception from a different perspective

Post by passmorelb » Tue Aug 24, 2010 22:02

Hello. I apologise if this topic has been raised before, but I haven't found anything identical. Situated in Perth (northern suburbs), I recently purchased a DP-Lite. Antenna is connected to BW input and Sony Bravia TV is connected via antenna output. All good quality cables supposedly.

My problem is, when watching TV directly, I get poor reception on the TV when the Beyonwiz hard disk is operating. This does not always happen and not always to all (or the same) channels.

If we watch TV through the BW everything is perfect.
If the BW is turned off (or the hard disk is not operating) everything is perfect.
If the BW is on and the disk is operating (either recording, first turn on or with shifting active), watching TV directly (ie not through the BW) has problems:

The TV will lose reception completely on some stations and will complain they are not tuned, or reception will be very poor. Other channels will work OK. Normally Channel 9 is the issue, but sometimes 10 and 7. ABC seems less of a problem.

Does this mimic anybody's experience?

Thanks

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Aug 24, 2010 22:13

Could be an earth loop.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Aug 24, 2010 22:25

Hi Passmorelb,

Welcome!

If you have access to an antenna splitter try fitting the splitter to the wall socket and then feed the antenna input for the Beyonwiz and the TV from the splitter. That is, try to avoid daisy chaining the antenna.

Regards,
Ian.

Vortical
Guru

Re: Poor reception from a different perspective

Post by Vortical » Wed Aug 25, 2010 00:04

passmorelb wrote:
The TV will lose reception completely on some stations and will complain they are not tuned, or reception will be very poor. Other channels will work OK. Normally Channel 9 is the issue, but sometimes 10 and 7. ABC seems less of a problem.
I have major problems with ABC on my Beyonwiz S1 here in Perth.

It used to be perfectly fine but at some stage since the last official firmware was released it's become cactus on live tv and recordings on all abc channels only. It gets pixellated with choppy audio constantly.

I've tried full factory reset and rescan and it just won't make any difference unfortunately, I haven't tried downgrading the firmware yet but that'll be my next step.

The weird thing is all my other digital tv tuners & pvr's have no problem displaying and recording abc at all. And i've tried swapping them all around so the Beyonwiz is using the same cables as the ones that are working fine and no success there either.

passmorelb

Post by passmorelb » Wed Aug 25, 2010 19:19

IanSav wrote:Hi Passmorelb,

Welcome!

If you have access to an antenna splitter try fitting the splitter to the wall socket and then feed the antenna input for the Beyonwiz and the TV from the splitter. That is, try to avoid daisy chaining the antenna.

Regards,
Ian.
Yes, thanks Ian, I could do that, and I can watch the TV OK through the BW. But I thought I would put the situation into the forum for BW to look at and see if I can get a technical answer on why this might be an issue.

Somebody said Earth loop. Was this a reply for me? If so, pls explain more on how I can check this?

Thanks
LP

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Aug 25, 2010 19:27

Hi Passmorelb,
passmorelb wrote:Yes, thanks Ian, I could do that, and I can watch the TV OK through the BW. But I thought I would put the situation into the forum for BW to look at and see if I can get a technical answer on why this might be an issue.
I was exploring to see if the TV was loading the output of the Beyonwiz causing the problem. This has been seen and documented in the past. Beyonwiz has also offered this as an explanation for some observed problems.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Aug 25, 2010 20:16

passmorelb wrote:...
Somebody said Earth loop. Was this a reply for me? If so, pls explain more on how I can check this?

Thanks
LP
Earth loop (AKA ground loop).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 23:15

I bought a few metres of RG6 Quadshield coaxial cable and four F-Connectors. I stripped the shielding as I learnt and crimped the F-Connectors. An F-Connector to PAL extention connects it to the Beyonwiz.

This seems to have corrected the problems I was having with ABC and Seven. Nine is a differnet story altogether. The Signal Strength for Nine ranges between 85% and 99%, though it's usually in the mid 90s when there's no reception. The Signal Quality usually ranges between the 80 to 93 percent when the problem occurs -- it drops down to 0 every now and then for a second or two. Surprisingly enough, I cannot get a picture when the Signal Quality is around 93%. Moving the coaxial cable around usually fixes it, but only for a few minutes.

Could the problem be caused by the Foxtel coaxial cable and AV Receiver speaker cabling that is located near my Beyonwiz's coaxial cable? If so, then how come it only hs an impact on Nine? It doesn't happen on Nine all the time, either. Usually happens around midday and 6:00pm.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Sep 01, 2010 00:18

Hi Bruce85,

If your work on the antenna has resulted in a performance changes then I would suggest that you should continue checking out the entire antenna system to see if you can identify any other cable or connection type issues.

Regards,
Ian.

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 00:56

If your work on the antenna has resulted in a performance changes then I would suggest that you should continue checking out the entire antenna system to see if you can identify any other cable or connection type issues.

Regards,
Ian.
The signal quality for all stations improved when I replaced the TV fly-leads with RG6 quadshield coaxial cable Nine was dropping out when the fly-lead was connected to the Beyonwiz's RF In socket, though it wasn't as bad as it is now. In contrast, ABC and Seven were dropping out before I replaced the fly-lead with RG6 quadshield coaxial cable -- they were dropping out long before Nine did, with ABC being the worst -- yet they're now working perfectly fine.

I find it strange that only Nine has playied up since I replaced the fly-leads with RG6 quadshield coaxial cable. If there was a problem with the cabling from the antenna to the wall outlet then every station would have a weakened signal.

All of this started shortly after I added an AV receiver to the loungeroom. The speaker cabling for the AV receiver's speakers and subwoofer is quite thick.

I suppose I'll have to get up on the roof and see whether any of the rods on the antenna are damaged.
Last edited by Bruce85 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 01:06, edited 1 time in total.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Sep 01, 2010 01:04

Hi Bruce85,

While you are up there look for any corrosion and/or breaks/deterioration of the cables. Remember to also check the wall plates.

Regards,
Ian.

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 01:08

While you are up there look for any corrosion and/or breaks/deterioration of the cables. Remember to also check the wall plates.

Regards,
Ian.
Could it be the power injector? If so, then perhaps it is distorting the Channel 9 signal for some unknown reason. It would explain why the other stations are working fine.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Sep 01, 2010 01:13

Hi Bruce85,

When you get to questioning the antenna, the cables, mast head booster amps I think it is time to call a professional and get the whole system tested and get them to fix anything and everything that doesn't measure up. It will probable give you the best results in the long run. This doesn't cost all that much and should give you trouble free viewing.

Regards,
Ian.

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 01:19

When you get to questioning the antenna, the cables, mast head booster amps I think it is time to call a professional and get the whole system tested and get them to fix anything and everything that doesn't measure up. It will probable give you the best results in the long run. This doesn't cost all that much and should give you trouble free viewing.

Regards,
Ian.
I did that last year. The bloke who came out said the antenna, splitter and cabling were fine. He replaced the masthead amplifier and power injector. I could have done that.

The masthead amplifier and power injector appear to be working well for every station -- bar Nine. I think the antenna is a VHF/UHF combination antenna. I've heard some bad things about them.

Maybe I should remove the power injector then use the Power Boost feature on the Beyonwiz to amplifiy the signal?

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Wed Sep 01, 2010 07:59

Bruce85,

Sounds like you have got interference rather than a weak signal.

You don't say what your in wall cabling is like :?:

How does the power injector fit into the cabling, is it in series with the Beyonwiz :?:

What is your location/postcode :?:

How is the quality of the analogue broadcasts when connected to the RF output of the Beyonwiz :?:

As you say moving the fly lead causes changes in the problem. This would indicate poor connection of the shield somewhere. The cable is supposed to be a transmission line, resisting adjacent interference. If the shield is not contiguous and of high quality then interference can get into the cable.

The antenna power supply option of the Beyonwiz is 5 Volt DC up to 30 milliamps. Unless you are sure this is 100% compatible with your masthead amplifier do NOT enable this option.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Sep 01, 2010 18:00

Hi, Bruce85. What's your approximate location (suburb, town) and what transmitters are you receiving from?

The symptoms could also be consistent with you getting transmissions from two different sources for the same services (and the Beyonwiz is picking the weaker one for Nine).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 00:08

IanB wrote:Bruce85,

The cabling, all of which is RG6 quadshield coaxial, was installed in early 2007 by a qualified antenna installer. The installer did not feed the cable inside the walls and ceiling. Instead, he laid it from rooftop to the adjoining shed, where it is attached to a two-way signal splitter (F-connector style). There is an iron roof covering the splitter, but air and water can come in from the sides, which are exposed.

One of the RG6 quadshield coaxial cable that is connected to the splitter travels underneath the patio rooftop -- I'd say between 20 and 35 metres -- then makes its way to the loungeroom via a hole that was drilled into the wall. A few other coaxial cables travel alongside it -- one for internet, one for pay TV and one old coaxial cable that was here when I moved in.

My room is close to the splitter, so its RG6 coaxial cable doesn't need to travel far.

On Wednesday I noticed that the fly-lead I created for my room -- RG6 quadshield coaxial cable with crimp style f-connectors placed on each end -- was not working as well as the gold-plated PAL fly-lead that I bought from a store. Saying that, it providing better signal quality and better signal strength than the PAL cable when I tested it last week. I just tested the two again -- this time I've made sure there's no other major cable crossing them -- both of them are working at the exact same value. I take it this means I must have failed to strip the shielding correctly before I crimped the F-connectors? I suppose this is quite possible as I use a basic economy stripper. I didn't pull the first layer of shielding back over the black rubber.

IanB wrote: How does the power injector fit into the cabling, is it in series with the Beyonwiz :?:
It's located in the loungeroom. It has a little green light on it. Not sure of its brandname.
IanB wrote: What is your location/postcode :?:
IanB wrote: How is the quality of the analogue broadcasts when connected to the RF output of the Beyonwiz :?:
The VHF channels are very good, with the ABC being the worst of them. The UHF channels are worse than the ABC.
IanB wrote: As you say moving the fly lead causes changes in the problem. This would indicate poor connection of the shield somewhere. The cable is supposed to be a transmission line, resisting adjacent interference. If the shield is not contiguous and of high quality then interference can get into the cable.
That's what I was thinking.

Can things like power cords and speaker cable cause interference when they are really close-by?

Would a properly crimped F-connector on a perfectl stripped RG6 quadshield coaxial cable be immune to any noise that could be produced by a power cord and speaker cable?

Edit: The fly-lead I created for my room is playing up again! I guess I stuffed it up. Is there any way to test the signal quality of a coaxial cable with a digital multimeter?

Out of interest, could the problem with my home made fly-lead be due to it having F-Pal connectors attached to the F-connectors? I needed to put these on it so that it can fit into the female Pal sockets of the Beyonwiz and wall outlet. I read on DTVforum.info that these things can cause problems. If so, then it would explain why the cable works perfectly on the Foxtel STB -- I don't use the F-Pal connectors when connecting it to the Foxtel STB.

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Fri Sep 03, 2010 23:31

Bruce85 wrote:
IanB wrote:Bruce85,

The cabling, all of which is RG6 quadshield coaxial, was installed in early 2007 by a qualified antenna installer. The installer did not feed the cable inside the walls and ceiling. Instead, he laid it from rooftop to the adjoining shed, where it is attached to a two-way signal splitter (F-connector style). There is an iron roof covering the splitter, but air and water can come in from the sides, which are exposed.
Okay, that sounds like one place to fully inspect carefully.
One of the RG6 quadshield coaxial cable that is connected to the splitter travels underneath the patio rooftop -- I'd say between 20 and 35 metres -- then makes its way to the loungeroom via a hole that was drilled into the wall. A few other coaxial cables travel alongside it -- one for internet, one for pay TV and one old coaxial cable that was here when I moved in.

My room is close to the splitter, so its RG6 coaxial cable doesn't need to travel far.
I'm slightly confused here :?. You have a 2 way splitter. One run goes 20-35 meters to the lounge, which is not where the BW is. Second run is much shorter and goes to the BW in your room. Please confirm this!
On Wednesday I noticed that the fly-lead I created for my room -- RG6 quadshield coaxial cable with crimp style f-connectors placed on each end -- was not working as well as the gold-plated PAL fly-lead that I bought from a store. Saying that, it providing better signal quality and better signal strength than the PAL cable when I tested it last week. I just tested the two again -- this time I've made sure there's no other major cable crossing them -- both of them are working at the exact same value. I take it this means I must have failed to strip the shielding correctly before I crimped the F-connectors? I suppose this is quite possible as I use a basic economy stripper. I didn't pull the first layer of shielding back over the black rubber.
With most crimp style F-connectors, you just circumcise the sheath and braid, leave ~5mm of dielectric with the foil intact and then expose ~10mm of centre conductor. Then ram the connector trunk up between the braid and the foil. If the connector is the right size for the cable there should not be enough gap to fold the braid back over the sheath.
IanB wrote:How does the power injector fit into the cabling, is it in series with the Beyonwiz :?:
It's located in the loungeroom. It has a little green light on it. Not sure of its brandname.
So it is not involved in the cable from the splitter to the BW.

A possible problem with the antenna amplifier could be the power supply filter capacitors. When these fail you get hum in the system. With analogue TV you get slowly rolling vertical light and dark patches, with Digital you cannot see any such obvious effect, but it can effect the signal adversely.
IanB wrote:What is your location/postcode :?:
~15Km South East of Brisbane central? I'm not familiar with Brisbane, but others on the forum may well be. I am surprised you need an amplifier in what I believe to be a suburban area. But there are pockets around Melbourne that prove very difficult to get unassisted reception, so I won't/can't judge.
IanB wrote:How is the quality of the analogue broadcasts when connected to the RF output of the Beyonwiz :?:
The VHF channels are very good, with the ABC being the worst of them. The UHF channels are worse than the ABC.
So they are not perfect. DTV is a prick to diagnose because of the digital cliff, i.e. it either works or it does not. Analogue gradually fades away to snow as the signal quality and strength degrade. This at least gives you something to work with without having special test equipment.
IanB wrote:As you say moving the fly lead causes changes in the problem. This would indicate poor connection of the shield somewhere. The cable is supposed to be a transmission line, resisting adjacent interference. If the shield is not contiguous and of high quality then interference can get into the cable.
That's what I was thinking.

Can things like power cords and speaker cable cause interference when they are really close-by?
This is what high quality quad shielded RG6 coax is all about. Cheap coax is less immune. Poor joints and fittings negate the noise immunity of the whole coax system.
Would a properly crimped F-connector on a perfectl stripped RG6 quadshield coaxial cable be immune to any noise that could be produced by a power cord and speaker cable?
Speaker cables almost certainly, power cables pretty likely. Nothing on earth will be immune to something like an arc welder in the vicinity however. :twisted:
Edit: The fly-lead I created for my room is playing up again! I guess I stuffed it up. Is there any way to test the signal quality of a coaxial cable with a digital multimeter?
Well, there is the normal continuity, end to end. And the isolation centre conductor to shield.

A simple effective crackle tester can be made with an AA battery and a set of headphones. Wire the lot including the cable under test in series. Wiggle the joints and cable near the joint, listen for crackles in the head phones. Crackles indicate bad connections. F type connectors need to be screwed into a good quality barrel connector for the test to be useful, the end screw will be naturally crackly for this test when not screwed up tight.

One very important consideration when making F type connector cables to the clean the centre conductor with >800 grade wet and dry abrasive paper. There is generally a lacquer coating that must be completely removed.
Out of interest, could the problem with my home made fly-lead be due to it having F-Pal connectors attached to the F-connectors? I needed to put these on it so that it can fit into the female Pal sockets of the Beyonwiz and wall outlet. I read on DTVforum.info that these things can cause problems. If so, then it would explain why the cable works perfectly on the Foxtel STB -- I don't use the F-Pal connectors when connecting it to the Foxtel STB.
Like all things these days you can buy crap or quality, and it is hard to tell the difference visually. :evil:

passmorelb

Yep Thanks

Post by passmorelb » Thu Sep 16, 2010 20:03

IanSav wrote:Hi Passmorelb,
passmorelb wrote:Yes, thanks Ian, I could do that, and I can watch the TV OK through the BW. But I thought I would put the situation into the forum for BW to look at and see if I can get a technical answer on why this might be an issue.
I was exploring to see if the TV was loading the output of the Beyonwiz causing the problem. This has been seen and documented in the past. Beyonwiz has also offered this as an explanation for some observed problems.

Regards,
Ian.
Thanks again Ian. I did try this and it seems to have solved the problem so there is definitely something wrong with the output from the BW. Do you know what there solution has been in the past? I will keep looking to see if I can find it too. Do you know if it is a warranty return (ie a problem only with some units) or is it a general problem with all units?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Sep 16, 2010 20:32

Hi Passmorelb,

This is not a problem with the Beyonwiz it is a problem that what ever is attached to the Beyonwiz output is loading the output enough to cause issues within the Beyonwiz.

The solution is to use a splitter at the wall socket and provide a fly lead from the splitter to the input of each device that needs and antenna connection. Don't daisy chain the antenna connectors. This is actually what we generally advise people to do even if they don't have the issues you describe.

Regards,
Ian.

Return to “DP-P2, FV-L1, DP-Lite, DP-S1 and DP-P1”