Dp lite

Beyonwiz HD PVR / Network Media Players including Freeview models.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Cheapie
Apprentice

Dp lite

Post by Cheapie » Wed Jul 28, 2021 22:08

Hi
I have a dp lite that is starting to play up. When trying to access recordings I get a blank screen for about 4-5 seconds followed by a message saying “access error - temporarily not accessible”.
I suspect the HD is starting to fail but before I go down the replace HD path, has anyone seen this before and can you confirm it sounds like HD?
Firmware I believe is up to date with 01.07.351
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Re: Dp lite

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 03:27

One of my P2s developed that error. Turned out it needed a voltage regulator on the motherboard changed, about half the capacitors on the mainboard and a HDD.

More than just the hdd.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Cheapie
Apprentice

Post by Cheapie » Thu Jul 29, 2021 08:26

Oh thanks Paul. Looks like I’m in the market for a new PVR. Doesn’t look like there is much choice in the market for a PVR. Either Beyonwiz v2 or a Panasonic.
The V2 doesn’t have very good reviews. Are you familiar with this unit and would you recommend it. I’m a basic user, just record a number of shows and watch. No editing required.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:23

IceTV are still selling Humax HDR-7510T 500GB, dual tuner for $249.

FetchTV has a fairly strong following on the Whirlpool PVR forum, but it has FreeView restrictions, and in particular, no skip usable for skipping ads (I think that's also true for the Panasonic).

The new series Beyonwizes all have basically the same user interface. The main differences between the other Beyonwiz models and the V2 is that it has no space for an internal HDD, so the HDD has to be an external USB drive. That means that if you want to record to local HDD, one of the two available USB slots is occupied by the HDD. If you want to have more than 2 tuners, then that will occupy the second USB slot. If you then also want WiFi, then you need to use a USB hub.

It's all a bit more cluttered than the other models.

The UI on the newer models is more flexible and more powerful than what was available on the DP series, but it's also more complicated and there are bazillions of settings (though I get what I want with changing a relatively small number of them).

The Beyonwizes and the Humax, but not the Panasonic support IceTV, if that's important to you.

If you want to hear all that's bad about the V2, there's a user on the Whirlpool PVR forum who'll be all too willing to tell you if you ask there about what PVR you should get.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Cheapie
Apprentice

Post by Cheapie » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:36

Hi Prl
Thanks for the info.
Icetv would be nice, but I don’t want the cost of ongoing subscription. I do want the ability to skip ads. With the dp lite I set the arrow buttons to fast forward or rewind 1 minute or 15 second intervals so I could easily skip 3 to 4 mins. Is that how you skip ads with the humax or v2? The v2 does sound more cluttered with the external HD and tuner. What is the support like on the humax?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jul 29, 2021 14:41

Cheapie wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:36
Icetv would be nice, but I don’t want the cost of ongoing subscription.

No problem. I just wanted to point it out, since the DP series support it.
Cheapie wrote:
I do want the ability to skip ads. With the dp lite I set the arrow buttons to fast forward or rewind 1 minute or 15 second intervals so I could easily skip 3 to 4 mins.

The arrow buttons on the new Beyonwiz models (including the V2) can be used almost in the same way as in the DP series, except that UP/RIGHT can only be used for forward skip, and DOWN/LEFT can only be used for back skips.

The number buttons 1/3/4/6/7/9 can also be configured to be used for skipping in playback and timeshift, but unlike the arrow buttons, they can't be used to send you into timeshift viewing.

All up, you can dedicate 2, 4, 6 or 8 buttons to various sized skips on the V2 if you want to (default is UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT).
Cheapie wrote:
Is that how you skip ads with the humax or v2?

No idea. I'm pretty sure it has skip, but you'd be best off trying to hunt down an online manual. The Topfields certainly have different skip arrangements from the Beyonwiz (IIRC, the coloured buttons on the ancient TV7000HD I used to have).
Cheapie wrote:
The v2 does sound more cluttered with the external HD and tuner.

Yes, but you only need an external tuner if you want to have more than 2 tuners. I don't think you can add tuners to the two-tuner Humax that I mentioned. There was a Humax 4Tune 4-tuner model, but IceTV don't sell it. It might be available elsewhere.

The V2 case is small (220 x 40 x 125mm, w x h x d), so you can easily arrange to have a 2.5" HDD and a tuner behind it on the shelf, more-or-less out of sight. You do have the option of using a microSD card for recording to on the V2, but sizes are more limited than even 2.5" HDDs, and microSD is more expensive/GB than HDD.
Cheapie wrote:
What is the support like on the humax?

Sorry, no idea. It will probably be manufacturer support, since I don't think that Humax runs Open Source firmware.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Cheapie
Apprentice

Post by Cheapie » Thu Jul 29, 2021 18:24

Hi Peter
Thank you for the detailed responses.
I am now thinking of sticking with Beyonwiz as I really love my dp lite and hope the v2 will be similar.
With the extra options, would I need the keyboard only if I was taking the wifi dongle? I’m thinking I don’t need that as I’ll plug in another USB if I want to watch a movie or update firmware. Can you still watch movies through the v2 like mkv files?
And if I already have a non powered USB drive 750gb, can I use that instead of buying another HD ? Would it matter if my HD is partitioned?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jul 29, 2021 18:37

Cheapie wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 18:24
I am now thinking of sticking with Beyonwiz as I really love my dp lite and hope the v2 will be similar.
Note that when prl said the interfaces were the same, he meant between the T2, T3, T4, U4, and V2. The old DP series Beyonwiz units' user interface is significantly different to the new standard interface.
Cheapie wrote:
With the extra options, would I need the keyboard only if I was taking the wifi dongle? I’m thinking I don’t need that as I’ll plug in another USB if I want to watch a movie or update firmware. Can you still watch movies through the v2 like mkv files?
You don't really need a keyboard for normal usage. The V2's ability to use a web browser was removed, and the Youtube capability is a little limited to the point where I wouldn't bother. The use case for a keyboard in any other case is quite limited.

The WiFi dongle is mostly for gaining access to file shares on your home network, and to allow remote control of your V2 from a web browser on your PC. The WiFi connection is also used for downloading updates, and time synchronisation and other nerdy stuff too.
It is preferable to run a proper network cable to your home network if you can, but the WiFi dongle is supported in case you cant.
Some users opt to install a separate WiFi gateway device, which can result in a faster and more reliable wireless connection to your home network than the WiFi dongle can provide.

The V2 can play a much wider range of files than the DP series ever could. All your media should remain playable with the V2 :).
Cheapie wrote:
And if I already have a non powered USB drive 750gb, can I use that instead of buying another HD ? Would it matter if my HD is partitioned?
You can buy any off the shelf USB HDD to use with the V2. You don't need the Beyonwiz supplied model.

A non-powered drive should be ok if plugged into the USB3 port on the V2. It is still prefereable to use a powered one if you can because powering equipment from the V2 will load down its power supply and strain the limits of its power delivery capability.
You could connect the USB HDD to a powered USB hub i f the drive can't be self-powered. This also has the benefit of increasing the number of available USB ports.

The HDD should be unpartitioned and dedicated to the V2. The V2 will need to format the HDD into a Linux-compatible partition/format arrangement. The V2 can do this itself. There would be little need to maintain extra partitions if the HDD is dedicated to the V2, so no great loss there.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jul 29, 2021 18:46

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 18:37
Cheapie wrote:
You can buy any off the shelf USB HDD to use with the V2. You don't need the Beyonwiz supplied model.

A non-powered drive should be ok if plugged into the USB3 port on the V2.

I run an unpowered Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB USB3 drive on my test V2, and connect it to the USB 3 port. A bit surprisingly to me, it will also run off the USB2 port.

I chose the Toshiba drive purely on price and a convenient place of purchase.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Cheapie
Apprentice

Post by Cheapie » Thu Jul 29, 2021 20:58

Hi MrQuade and Peter
Do you know what HD beyonwiz supply if I was to purchase the 1tb?
Also when I select the twin tuner plus 1tb hd, it shows a breakdown of twin tuner $249 and hd $100 but the total shows $399.
Do you know where the extra $50 comes from? I have not selected any other options.
And are you aware of anyway to get this cheaper? (Maybe discount codes or other suppliers or websites?)

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Jul 29, 2021 21:03

Cheapie wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 20:58
Also when I select the twin tuner plus 1tb hd, it shows a breakdown of twin tuner $249 and hd $100 but the total shows $399.
Do you know where the extra $50 comes from? I have not selected any other options.

Very recently, the price for the V2 increased by $50, and the Hauppauge dual tuner by $30.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jul 29, 2021 21:08

Cheapie wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 20:58
And are you aware of anyway to get this cheaper? (Maybe discount codes or other suppliers or websites?)
I assume that's a "shipping and handling" charge. The price range states that the V2 starts at $299 despite the base model being itemised at $250. Dunno.

Beyonwiz used to do trade in deals for old PVRs but hasn't offered that in ages.

I don't know if any other potential discounts.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Jul 29, 2021 22:15

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 21:08
I assume that's a "shipping and handling" charge.

Nah, that charge is $15.
MrQuade wrote: The price range states that the V2 starts at $299 despite the base model being itemised at $250. Dunno.

Likely that's just a result of crap website editing. The itemised costing hasn't been changed.

Additionally, the Hauppauge tuner as a separate item is listed at $129.95 - which is an increase of $30. But as a combined purchase it's costed at $100 (as it was previously, before the price increase).

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Jul 29, 2021 22:37

The V2 does not have to have an external HDD connected. You can easily insert a microSD card into the rear slot and use that for timeshift duties. For recording, you can connect a Gigabit Ethernet cable to the V2 and record to your NAS. Your NAS can be located elsewhere in the house and the V2 will be a compact and virtually silent device with no moving parts.

If you are willing to do a bit of hardware hacking, it is possible to install internal storage in the V2. There is enough room inside to install a portable USB SSD and there are solder pads for an internal USB2.0 connection that was intended for a WiFi module, but should work for USB storage devices too. The location you want is U35. Pin 3 is USB_DM and pin 4 is USB_DP, pin 5 is GND. You'd have to source power from elsewhere on the board. U35 pins are numbered starting from lower left corner, going clock-wise.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Cheapie
Apprentice

Post by Cheapie » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:08

Thanks all for the helpful info.
Will get another Beyonwiz.

Return to “DP-P2, FV-L1, DP-Lite, DP-S1 and DP-P1”