Dpp2 access desktop

Beyonwiz HD PVR / Network Media Players including Freeview models.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Nurseedward
Apprentice

Dpp2 access desktop

Post by Nurseedward » Wed Mar 11, 2020 14:25

Hi
Im really a newbie to all things networking and computer related so please point me to a thread or reply basically:))

I have a dell pc connected to a router via ethernet cable.... also has wireless capability. I have an ethernet cable from router but have not connected it to anywhere as yet.

I also have a chromecast device on tv.

Wondering is it possible to access my hard drive somehow via the dpp2? Im a bit tired of copying things to usb... or running upstairs to cast a screen onto my tv.

I.have an android phone too so usually cast from there onto tv... but doesn't help when something isnt on my phone!

Im sure there is a simple way just not sure where to start!

Thanks guys!

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Dpp2 access desktop

Post by MrQuade » Wed Mar 11, 2020 15:12

Nurseedward wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 14:25

Wondering is it possible to access my hard drive somehow via the dpp2? Im a bit tired of copying things to usb... or running upstairs to cast a screen onto my tv.
It's pretty simple to connect the DP-P2 to a PC, as long as the DP-P2 has a network connection to your router.
You can either run a direct Ethernet cable between the DP-P2 and the router, or plug the DP-P2 into a wireless bridge device and connect that to the router via WiFi.

On the DP-P2, you just need to set up a network connection to a shared folder on the PC using the GUI menus. From memory, that is a pretty straightforward procedure.

HOWEVER. Recent security updates on any Windows version 7 or higher will probably cause the folder sharing to fail, since the Windows PC will only accept connections from devices that support the SMB v2 protocol or higher.
It is possible to switch off that requirement in Windows, by enabling SMB1, but it is not really recommended on a security basis (up to you).

I'd recommend upgrading to a new Beyonwiz V2. You'll have better media file format support, more networking options, and a raft of other enhancements. It is a VERY different look and feel to the DP series, and can sometimes get complicated, so again, that's something to consider.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Nurseedward
Apprentice

Post by Nurseedward » Wed Mar 11, 2020 15:21

Thanks Ill connect it directly and have a play...
So much I didnt get on the post hahaha but ill start with plugging it in! I dont even know what a shared folder is on computer lol

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Mar 11, 2020 15:34

Even if you do get it working, you may be disappointed. The copy speed is likely to be less than 3MB/sec, even though the network port can support about 3 times that. The copy speed (both network and USB) on the DP series is throttled to prevent copying from interfering with basic PVR function.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Mar 11, 2020 15:37

Nurseedward wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 15:21
I dont even know what a shared folder is on computer lol
It's usually just a case of right clicking the folder you want to share, selecting Properties, and going to the sharing tab. You can then choose to chare the folder, and who you want to share it with (just select Everyone). the exact steps depend which version of Windows you use.
https://www.dummies.com/computers/pcs/h ... ows-vista/

To enable SMB1, you need to find an option in the control panel called "Turn Windows Features on and off".

From there you can then enable the SMB 1 server feature. This probably needs a reboot.

When you connect to the Windows PC from the Wiz, you will need to supply a username and password. Use the username and password that you normally log onto the PC with. If you don't supply a username and password, Windows won't allow you to connect (another, earlier security update added this requirement)

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Mar 11, 2020 15:38

prl wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 15:34
Even if you do get it working, you may be disappointed. The copy speed is likely to be less than 3MB/sec, even though the network port can support about 3 times that. The copy speed (both network and USB) on the DP series is throttled to prevent copying from interfering with basic PVR function.
The copy speed may be slow, but it should be fast enough to play media files, which is what I presume this connection will be primarily used for (based on the original post).

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Mar 12, 2020 00:36

Suggesting to users that a DP-series Beyonwiz is somehow suitable for a contemporary networked home is akin to suggesting that a pre-Copernicus view of the universe is perfectly reasonable. :twisted:

The sensible advice is to drag yourself into the 2020's and upgrade to a V2. The very small learning curve resulting from getting used to the (better) new user interface is definitely worth the extra functionality. Sure, there are certain things that work differently and will take a little getting used to. But, there are many octogenarians on these forums that not only managed to switch, but are actually singing the praises to the newer models. Us younger folk are also very much OK with the T, U & V series machines.

Time to ditch the DP-series and upgrade to a V2. :D 8)

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Return to “DP-P2, FV-L1, DP-Lite, DP-S1 and DP-P1”