Error 0001

Beyonwiz HD PVR / Network Media Players including Freeview models.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Spot
Apprentice

Error 0001

Post by Spot » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:06

Hi Guys,

I tried starting my FV-L1 this morning only to see Error 0001 displayed.

I found this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12882

It sounds bad. I'm wondering if it is worth sending the machine to Warkus in WA from NSW, or would it be better to buy a new machine? How much would a refurb and postage cost vs the cost of the new machine? I've been quite happy with the FV-L1 for the years I've had it, but maybe the new V2 has improvements over the older products? At least it should receive new firmware updates, right?

I was looking at V2 for $249. I was going to add a 1TB HDD, but I notice it is a USB 3.0 connection. Doesn't the V2 PVR come with an internal drive?

Another question, if I bought the V2, would I be able to watch recordings made by my FV-L1?

Thanks,
Spot

PS: I've just been on the phone to Beyonwiz. They suggested I buy the new V2 as it has more features and is receiving firmware updates. No surprise, really.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Error 0001

Post by MrQuade » Fri Jun 21, 2019 13:01

Spot wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:06
I tried starting my FV-L1 this morning only to see Error 0001 displayed.

I found this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12882

It sounds bad. I'm wondering if it is worth sending the machine to Warkus in WA from NSW, or would it be better to buy a new machine? How much would a refurb and postage cost vs the cost of the new machine? I've been quite happy with the FV-L1 for the years I've had it, but maybe the new V2 has improvements over the older products? At least it should receive new firmware updates, right?
Yep, the FV-L1 has probably burned out the power supply. Leaving it plugged in would potentially damage it further, so you should switch it off completely if you haven't already.

Unless you are completely tied to the old unit, then it should definitely be retired. Its support for media playback is very outdated, and could be completely out of date if broadcast standards change.

The V2 can handle up to 4 tuners, and can record more than 8 programs at once if you want it to, so it's a lot more powerful in that regard too.
Spot wrote:
I was looking at V2 for $249. I was going to add a 1TB HDD, but I notice it is a USB 3.0 connection. Doesn't the V2 PVR come with an internal drive?
Correct, external harddisks only.
It does have a microSD slot that you can record to, but that is obviously more expensive than a harddisk. You can also record to a network share on a NAS or your PC if you want too. The V2 (and the T2/3/4/U4) are flexible like that.
It keeps the price of the unit down, and isn't a big deal to add the external storage, although the extra wires can get messy.
Spot wrote:
Another question, if I bought the V2, would I be able to watch recordings made by my FV-L1?
As long as you are able to get the recordings off the FV-L1 (in .ts file format), then they will play on the V2.
When I migrated from my DP-S1, I copied all the recordings off, and chose to recompress them all into h.264 MKV files.
It kept the size down, but does affect the recording quality.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Fri Jun 21, 2019 13:08

The 0001 failure is actually pretty simple.

So first give Warkus (Mark Vasile, http://www.decisivecomputersolutions.co ... ntact.html) a ring, he is on top of best postage/shipping methods and gives great service for very reasonable price.

The V2 comes in a tiny case, so no internal disk. Many are using a large microSD card for internal storage. (256GB or 512GB).

Some effort is require to read legacy recordings, but not to much.

Like all the recent boxes, they are Enigma 2 derived firmware. Extremely functional, steep learning curve, ultimately very satisfying once conquered.

Spot
Apprentice

Post by Spot » Fri Jun 21, 2019 13:21

Thanks MrQuade and IanB. Very informative posts.

I have been in touch with Warkus via email and he has sent the required information. $70 plus postage is quite reasonable, excluding the cost of a new HDD if required, another $75.

It bugs me that we live in a throw-away society, which is why I'd like the old FV-L1 repaired. I have ordered the new V2 to use in the mean time. Hopefully that will be here early next week.

Your help is most appreciated.

Thanks again,
Spot

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:52

MrQuade wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 13:01
Unless you are completely tied to the old unit, then it should definitely be retired. Its support for media playback is very outdated, and could be completely out of date if broadcast standards change.

As well as that, because it's an FV-L1, it comes with all those wonderful Freeview v1 benefits like not having any usable skip capability or the ability to copy recordings off the machine (unless you run the hacked firmware).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Spot
Apprentice

Post by Spot » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:50

prl wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:52
MrQuade wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 13:01

As well as that, because it's an FV-L1, it comes with all those wonderful Freeview v1 benefits like not having any usable skip capability or the ability to copy recordings off the machine (unless you run the hacked firmware).
Actually, my firmware allows me to skip whatever time I like. It's not tied to Freeview restrictions any more.

Return to “DP-P2, FV-L1, DP-Lite, DP-S1 and DP-P1”