Recommended Firmware Upgrade Procedure

Beyonwiz HD PVR / Network Media Players including Freeview models.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Kezza
Master

Recommended Firmware Upgrade Procedure

Post by Kezza » Thu Dec 27, 2007 22:27

In light of all the problems I will put down on E-Paper the Recommended Firmware Upgrade Procedure:

Upgrading the Firmware

Check your Firmware Version
1. You can check which Firmware Version you currently have here:
Setup > System > Firmware > Firmware Information

Download the latest Firmware
2. Before you begin, download latest firmware for your model - From Here
Save the firmware file to one of the following:
  • - Shared Network Directory that you know the Beyonwiz can access.
    - FAT, FAT32 or NTFS USB HDD or Memory Stick.
    - CF or SM Memory Card (DP-S1 and DP-P1 only)
    - CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW (DP-S1 only)
HDD Check
3. Beyonwiz recommended that you perform a HDD check before starting a firmware update:
Setup > System > HDD > Check HDD > Yes

Reboot
4. You should also reboot the Beyonwiz before doing a firmware upgrade.
Press Power to put it into Standby and then Power again to turn it back On. (Some people suggest pulling the plug or switching off at the wall socket as well)

Upgrade the Firmware
5. If you saved the firmware file onto a:
  • - USB device plug it into one of the USB ports
    - Network Share make sure the network device/PC is turned on
    - CF or SM Card plug it into the matching card slot (DP-S1 and DP-P1 only)
    - CD or DVD load it into the DVD tray (DP-S1 only)
6. Select Firmware Upgrade from the menu:
Setup > System > Firmware > Firmware Upgrade

7. Select the appropriate choice depending on where you saved the firmware file:
  • - Network
    - USB
    - MemoryCard
    - DVD
8. Navigate through the menus to select the firmware file that you downloaded earlier and press OK.

9. After the Beyonwiz downloads and verifies the file it will ask you if you want to continue.
Answer yes to start the actual firmware upgrade. Do not turn off the power until it has finished!

10. When the upgrade has finished put Beyonwiz into standby. (it will prompt you to)

11. Unplug the power cord or switch off at the wall socket and wait at 1 minute before restoring power.

You're done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Further Steps to cure any Problems

If you experience any strange behaviour after a firmware upgrade you should reset to factory settings, and then rescan the channels and setup your Beyonwiz like you did when it was new. A factory reset will not affect any recordings on your HDD.

How to perform a Factory Reset:
12. Copy down any settings you may need, like network settings or IceTV settings etc.
Then Reset to Factory Settings:
Setup > System > Initialise > Factory Setting > Yes

How to Rescan the Channels:
13. After a Factory Reset you will need to scan in the channels again.
Setup > System > Service Scan > Yes

14. Then reconfigure any settings you copied down earlier, like network and IceTV settings etc.

You're done.

The following is rarely necessary, but may be required in extreme circumstances.

How to Format the HDD:
Reformatting the hard drive may also help if you are having problems, but you will lose any recordings.
Setup > System > HDD > HDD Format > Yes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Key:
CF = Compact Flash
HDD = Hard Disk Drive
LAN = Local Area Network
NAS = Network Attached Storage
PC = Personal Computer
SM = Smart Media
USB = Universal Serial Bus
WLAN = Wireless Local Area Network

Kezza
Last edited by Kezza on Sun Dec 30, 2007 18:57, edited 12 times in total.
? Kezza 2008

DLink Boxee Box
HD BW DP-S1 - Broken
SD Toppy 5000PVRt BP - Not Used
YAMAHA RXV800
B&W LM1
Harmony ONE Uni Remote
LG 47LY3DE LCD TV

Gully

Post by Gully » Thu Dec 27, 2007 22:43

Hi Kezza

A timely post.

A couple of additions.

To go at the start

Power down the BW before you start so you are doing the upgrade when you first turn it on. (Some people suggest pulling the plug as well)

To go at the end

Reformatting the hard drive may also help if you have problems but you will lose any recordings.
Cheers
Gully

nazgul33
Master

Post by nazgul33 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 23:25

Hi,

normally factory resetting won't affect anything.
I'll let the beyonwiz.com.au master update the update procedure.
But it's recommended to have it check HDD before an update.
Regards,
Steven Han @ RnD, BeyonWiz

Paranoid666au
Master

Post by Paranoid666au » Fri Dec 28, 2007 00:48

Why is it not recommended to use USB drive?
P1 01.05.280HDMI>Onkyo 606>HDMI-DVI>NEC plasmaH1 01.05.280YPrPb>Sony HD CRT | Coax>Yamaha HTR-5550
FoxtelHD AppleTV>Hauppauge HD PVR

SomebodyElse
Guru

Re: Recommended Firmware Upgrade Procedure

Post by SomebodyElse » Fri Dec 28, 2007 06:53

Kezza wrote:Download latest firmware.
Save firmware to one of the following:
a. HDD on a PC or NAS.
b. USB drive.
A networked HDD that you BW can read via LAN is best for upgrading firmware. (you can use USB drives or a WLAN connection if you want, but neither are recommended)
Anyone close enough to the BW team to get a definitive answer on the mechanics of the upgrade process?

In my view the only logical way to do an upgrade is to load the entire update into a memory or disk cache, validate the checksum and then apply the update from the validated, cached copy. A process that validated a copy on any external medium, then reread from that external medium to apply would be very silly and would defeat the purpose of the initial validation.

So if the BW engineers have implemented the update process as logic suggests, then it should not matter a jot what medium you read it from. All this advice on the recommended medium just seems to smack of eye of newt and tongue of frog or hold your breath and keep your fingers crossed...!

Kezza
Master

Post by Kezza » Fri Dec 28, 2007 07:44

Paranoid666au wrote:Why is it not recommended to use USB drive?
some people have had issues with older USB keys I think it was a bad write so it would not even start the upload to the box.
in the end if it starts the upgrade with a USB key then it will work, there are 2 MD5 checksums on the firmware, same goes for WLAN but I'm making a recommended way for people who need it and therefore trying to keep it simple.

Kezza
? Kezza 2008

DLink Boxee Box
HD BW DP-S1 - Broken
YAMAHA RXV800
B&W LM1
Harmony ONE Uni Remote
LG 47LY3DE LCD TV

Kezza
Master

Post by Kezza » Fri Dec 28, 2007 09:00

Should this be stickied?

Kezza
? Kezza 2008

DLink Boxee Box
HD BW DP-S1 - Broken
YAMAHA RXV800
B&W LM1
Harmony ONE Uni Remote
LG 47LY3DE LCD TV

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Fri Dec 28, 2007 09:31

Hi Kezza,

A couple of points; For a cold reset (cold reboot) there is no advantage pulling the plug out after switching off at the GPO (General Purpose Outlet or Power Point). The switch breaks the active leaving the neutral & earth still connected (neutral & earth are joined in our MEN system). Switching the active removes power to the BW.

If a USB thumb drive can be read by the BW I can?t see any reason why there should be any problems installing f/w this way. I've lost count of the number of times I have done this beta testing the 7000 f/w & have never had a problem.
Dennis
U4, Bluey USB tuner, WizTV > Yamaha RX-V3900 > Sony KDL46X2000 TV ||
U4, Bluey USB tuner > Sony KD-43X85J TV > Yamaha YAS-209 || FTA EPG ||
Harmony 650s || (U4s on 19.3.20200901 & T2 on 19.3.20200823) ||
Technicolor DJA0230TLS modem/router, Ethernet LAN, Win10 Home 64 ||

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Dec 28, 2007 09:40

Hi Kezza,
Kezza wrote:Should this be stickied?
Yes, please.

I think the fact that Steven has commented here adds much credibility to this thread.

Also Brian may care to add this to the FAQ (if he hasn't done so already ;)).

By the way, you can also upgrade firmware from optical media if you have a DP-S1. (I also think the advice not to use W-LAN and USB sticks should be removed. You can add a warning note at the bottom that some people have experience issues with these methods in the past, if you think that will help.)

Regards,
Ian.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 09:49

sub3R wrote:Hi Kezza,
A couple of points; For a cold reset (cold reboot) there is no advantage pulling the plug out after switching off at the GPO (General Purpose Outlet or Power Point). The switch breaks the active leaving the neutral & earth still connected (neutral & earth are joined in our MEN system). Switching the active removes power to the BW.
If Kezza is like me and 99% of use, we would have about 10 things plugged into a power board without individual switches, hence the "pull the power bit". If you have an individual power switch, then go for it, but the crux of the suggestion is not about pulling the cord but actually killing the mains power.
If a USB thumb drive can be read by the BW I can?t see any reason why there should be any problems installing f/w this way. I've lost count of the number of times I have done this beta testing the 7000 f/w & have never had a problem.
I guess I started this one off, sorry about this, but two people bricked their Wiz's by updating by USB key, I am guessing the Wiz mounts the USB keys as drives and actually reads directly from them, rather than the network way, which is load them into memory or the HDD first (so a successful load is done prior to actually erasing and programming the flash). If we can get the real story from Steve about how each of the methods are performed, we will be able to kill the rumours and give fact... I was only giving the suggestion based on the experience of two members here who used USB keys.
Given the variances in different types of keys (and variances in behaviours) is it not entirely in the realm of possibility that a slight timing or incompatibility between the key and Wiz can cause the f/w upgrade to go sour?
Ok, I am just upgrading now, and to give my exact experience over network, you choose the file, then it says "downloading for verification" with a bar graph, then at the end of that process it shows "this will stop existing recordings, do you wish to continue", choose yes and it erases fairly slowly (30sec?), then writes even slower (~4mins). Then it verifys the writtend f/w (seconds only), and then says success with a power off option. Presumably again this is upgrading not from the network, but from a local copy that it got in the verification process when downloading from the network, so would be quite safe. I have never upgraded from USB to see if the process is similar.
Regards
Last edited by tonymy01 on Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

Kezza
Master

Post by Kezza » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:07

first post updated, can everyone please read and comment.

Kezza
? Kezza 2008

DLink Boxee Box
HD BW DP-S1 - Broken
YAMAHA RXV800
B&W LM1
Harmony ONE Uni Remote
LG 47LY3DE LCD TV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:23

Hi Kezza,
Kezza wrote:first post updated, can everyone please read and comment.
Please add source option "c. CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW etc" optical disk update for the DP-S1.

Regards,
Ian.

Kezza
Master

Post by Kezza » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:29

I left it out as its unlikely anyone would ever use it, but if you think it needs to be in there I guess I'll add it.

Kezza
? Kezza 2008

DLink Boxee Box
HD BW DP-S1 - Broken
YAMAHA RXV800
B&W LM1
Harmony ONE Uni Remote
LG 47LY3DE LCD TV

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:44

Hi Tony,

Understand where you are coming from with the thumb drive. It would be nice to get this clarified as you suggest.

Re the switch vs pulling the plug; I?m also in that 99%. My comment was mainly in response to Gully?s post;
Gully wrote:Power down the BW before you start so you are doing the upgrade when you first turn it on. (Some people suggest pulling the plug as well)
thinking that Gully meant switching the power point off when he said ?power down?.
I agree that removing power from the BW (not just put into standby) at the very start should be normal procedure for upgrading.

I?m not criticising Kezza?s or Gully?s posts, I?m just trying to clarify a few things & from my background I?m also very conscious of electrical safety procedures when posting suggestions or instructions to all users on a public forum.

Regards,
Dennis

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:02

Hi Kezza,
Kezza wrote:I left it out as its unlikely anyone would ever use it, but if you think it needs to be in there I guess I'll add it.
Thanks. I often generate CDs for friends with Beyonwiz units who don't want to, or can't, get the updates from the Internet. It is nice for them (and others) to be aware that this is an acceptable firmware upgrade path.

Regards,
Ian.

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:16

Kezza
Done :D
Cheers
Gully

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:22

sub3R wrote:Hi Tony,

Understand where you are coming from with the thumb drive. It would be nice to get this clarified as you suggest.

Re the switch vs pulling the plug; I?m also in that 99%. My comment was mainly in response to Gully?s post;
Gully wrote:Power down the BW before you start so you are doing the upgrade when you first turn it on. (Some people suggest pulling the plug as well)
thinking that Gully meant switching the power point off when he said ?power down?.
I agree that removing power from the BW (not just put into standby) at the very start should be normal procedure for upgrading.

I?m not criticising Kezza?s or Gully?s posts, I?m just trying to clarify a few things & from my background I?m also very conscious of electrical safety procedures when posting suggestions or instructions to all users on a public forum.

Regards,
I actually did mean just putting it into standby as I think that is the minimum people should do so they start free from any hiccups but I agree it is better to turn off/unplug.
Cheers
Gully

brianh
Wizard

Post by brianh » Fri Dec 28, 2007 13:05

IanSav wrote:Hi Kezza,
Yes, please.

I think the fact that Steven has commented here adds much credibility to this thread.

Also Brian may care to add this to the FAQ (if he hasn't done so already ;)).
Regards,
Ian.
...Been waiting for the editing... ;) will do... :)
Cheers,
Brian

1) 2 x T4, Samsung UA46C7000/Yamaha RX-V6A
2) Spare DP-P2s/ Samsung UA46C6900/Sony STR-DE497/RX-V540
Harmony 650 + all the spare remotes.....

Kezza
Master

Post by Kezza » Fri Dec 28, 2007 13:45

edited you should be right now, are you going to put it in the FAQ or just link to it?

Kezza
? Kezza 2008

DLink Boxee Box
HD BW DP-S1 - Broken
YAMAHA RXV800
B&W LM1
Harmony ONE Uni Remote
LG 47LY3DE LCD TV

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Fri Dec 28, 2007 14:22

Gully wrote:I actually did mean just putting it into standby as I think that is the minimum people should do so they start free from any hiccups but I agree it is better to turn off/unplug
Ahh ok, I misunderstood. Scratch all that then ? except the safety aspect of course.
Dennis

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Dec 28, 2007 14:41

sub3R wrote:
Gully wrote:I actually did mean just putting it into standby as I think that is the minimum people should do so they start free from any hiccups but I agree it is better to turn off/unplug
Ahh ok, I misunderstood. Scratch all that then ? except the safety aspect of course.
No problem, it always helps to make things clearer and add to the knowledge.
Cheers
Gully

brianh
Wizard

Post by brianh » Fri Dec 28, 2007 15:09

Kezza wrote:edited you should be right now, are you going to put it in the FAQ or just link to it?

Kezza
Probably both, to be sure, to be sure..... :)
Cheers,
Brian

DaveR
Wizard

Re: Recommended Firmware Upgrade Procedure

Post by DaveR » Fri Dec 28, 2007 20:37

Kezza wrote:did I miss anything?
CF or SM card are also suitable media for doing a firmware upgrade from.

And you missed the point that Steven made. You should do a HDD check before the firmware upgrade. I think this point is far more important than the choice of media (and is possibly the reason for the couple of failures).
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

Kezza
Master

Post by Kezza » Fri Dec 28, 2007 22:03

changes made tell me what you think.

Kezza
? Kezza 2008

DLink Boxee Box
HD BW DP-S1 - Broken
YAMAHA RXV800
B&W LM1
Harmony ONE Uni Remote
LG 47LY3DE LCD TV

SomebodyElse
Guru

Post by SomebodyElse » Sat Dec 29, 2007 06:06

SomebodyElse wrote:In my view the only logical way to do an upgrade is to load the entire update into a memory or disk cache, validate the checksum and then apply the update from the validated, cached copy. A process that validated a copy on any external medium, then reread from that external medium to apply would be very silly and would defeat the purpose of the initial validation.
tonymy01 wrote:I am guessing the Wiz mounts the USB keys as drives and actually reads directly from them, rather than the network way, which is load them into memory or the HDD first (so a successful load is done prior to actually erasing and programming the flash). If we can get the real story from Steve about how each of the methods are performed, we will be able to kill the rumours and give fact...
sub3R wrote:Understand where you are coming from with the thumb drive. It would be nice to get this clarified as you suggest.
There seems to be a bit of speculation about how this works, but it should not be difficult to get a definitive answer. I don't know who is in touch with the BW engineers, but perhaps he/she/they would pose this question so then everybody knows what is and is not a safe process.

The notion of preferring one method over another without a sound basis for doing so, and generating ongoing debate about it seems pretty fruitless. Why not just ask the people who know?!

Apologies in advance if anybody finds my directness offensive.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:42

Hi SomebodyElse,

I think the value of knowing *how* it works is for technical curiosity value only. I suspect that most punters only want to know that it works and it works properly. I doubt Beyonwiz would leave any mechanism for firmware updates in the production code if there was any real probability that such a mechanism was prone to failure. If you still really want to know the how of firmware updates then let us know. You will have to wait until Beyonwiz staff return from the new year break before we can ask them the question. Please be aware that they may choose to not reveal the answer.

While I have no data on the matter, I do suspect that the number of firmware updates that have failed will be very small compared to the number of firmware updates that have been performed. Given that Beyonwiz have now publically provided information about the firmware recovery tool I suggest that we stop panicing people over the chances of a firmware failure and let people get on with the task using whatever mechanism is convenient for them. As a safety measure the very few people who may end up having an issue can be directed to the firmware recovery tools.

Regards,
Ian.

SomebodyElse
Guru

Post by SomebodyElse » Sat Dec 29, 2007 16:26

IanSav wrote:I think the value of knowing *how* it works is for technical curiosity value only. I suspect that most punters only want to know that it works and it works properly.
Thanks Ian, but I think there's probably a good case for understanding it a little better. My preferred update mechanism is to simply connect to a network share via WLAN and load that way. My second preference would be to copy to a USB key and plug that in at the front. I could guess that others with a similar arrangement to mine would lean the same way.

Both those methods are suggested to be less than reliable. If we understand how the update mechanism works (and if it is as suggested) then we could put those issues down to coincidence and be confident that WLAN and USB updates were no more risky than via any other mechanism.

desm
Master

Post by desm » Sat Dec 29, 2007 16:29

As a matter of interest I've updated my Toppy a couple of times using my laptop as the source and also my P1 from a memory stick, all without a hint of problem.
Beyonwiz U4
20180417 Firmware
Samsung HW-H550 Soundbar
Ice Guide
Wired LAN
Samsung UA55HU8500W
TECO 32" LCD

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sat Dec 29, 2007 17:28

SomebodyElse wrote:The notion of preferring one method over another without a sound basis for doing so, and generating ongoing debate about it seems pretty fruitless. Why not just ask the people who know?!

Apologies in advance if anybody finds my directness offensive.
No offence, but why are you dragging this up again? The 'ongoing debate' has stopped.

It's already been agreed that the method used to get the file to the beyonwiz is not an issue.

Lets review the facts:
- Beyonwiz have stated that a factory reset is not necessary.
- Beyonwiz have stated that the Wiz does 2 MD5 checksums
- Beyonwiz have stated that it's important to do a HDD check before any firmware upgrade.
- A few people have had recent firmware upgrades fail
- These people were able to recover their beyonwiz by using the RemoteUpdater

At what point these firmware upgrades failed is the second most important thing here.
- Did the upgrade appear to be taking too long so the person turned off the power?
- If so, why was it taking so long?
- Did the firmware upgrade fail BEFORE the person turned off the power?
- If so, why did it fail?

The most important thing is why these updates failed. On this point we can only speculate from the limited info provided. If Beyonwiz knew what the cause was it would not have happened.
cheers
DaveR

SomebodyElse
Guru

Post by SomebodyElse » Sun Dec 30, 2007 05:03

Dave? wrote:No offence, but why are you dragging this up again? The 'ongoing debate' has stopped.
No offence, but what do you mean by "dragging this up again"? There were some posts discussing the use of WLAN and USB sticks during the day Friday...

http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... 6667#16667
http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... 6673#16673
http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... 6695#16695
http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... 6696#16696
http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... 6699#16699
http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... 6710#16710

In these posts three people (tonymy01, sub3R, me) seemed to feel that clarifying the mechanics of the upgrade process might help to alleviate any fears that using WLAN or USB could put the update at risk.

I didn't get back to this thread until Saturday morning, less than 24 hours after the last post on this subject. I didn't see anything that definitively put the matter to rest, and it also seems such a simple thing to get right. I then asked about whether anybody could try to get the answer straight from the horse's mouth.

In my simplistic view, a forum is not a real time chat room. People post their questions and views, people respond to them as and when they can. Unless there is a definitive resolution to an issue raised and responded to by others, that constitutes "ongoing debate". And if responding to such ongoing debate is seen as "dragging things up", then maybe this forum should switch to using IRC or MSN?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:44

Hi SomebodyElse,

As I said, I really don't see the point of knowing how updates work as long as they work. I am curious how the topic even really started given that I don't recall more than a small handful of failed upgrades being mentioned and even then there were no details that could explain the cause or initiate all this speculation. I think that this whole topic has taken up far more of everyone's time than need have happened.

But I did offer to refer the question to Beyonwiz for you, and that I will do. If there is an answer they, or if they answer me directly, I will post the reply.

Regards,
Ian.
Last edited by IanSav on Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

Kezza
Master

Post by Kezza » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:28

First post updated

Kezza
? Kezza 2008

DLink Boxee Box
HD BW DP-S1 - Broken
YAMAHA RXV800
B&W LM1
Harmony ONE Uni Remote
LG 47LY3DE LCD TV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:52

Hi Kezza,

You may care to update the first sentence to "It is strongly recommended that you perform a HDD check before starting a firmware update. This can be done by entering SETUP and selecting the SETUP > System > HDD > Check HDD."

HDD normally means Hard Disk Drive, and
W-LAN normally means Wireless Local Area Network.

;)

Regards,
Ian.

Kezza
Master

Post by Kezza » Sun Dec 30, 2007 13:16

changes made

Kezza
? Kezza 2008

DLink Boxee Box
HD BW DP-S1 - Broken
YAMAHA RXV800
B&W LM1
Harmony ONE Uni Remote
LG 47LY3DE LCD TV

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sun Dec 30, 2007 15:19

SomebodyElse wrote:
Dave? wrote:No offence, but why are you dragging this up again? The 'ongoing debate' has stopped.
No offence, but what do you mean by "dragging this up again"? There were some posts discussing the use of WLAN and USB sticks during the day Friday...

http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... 6667#16667
http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... 6673#16673
http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... 6695#16695
http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... 6696#16696
http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... 6699#16699
http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... 6710#16710
Sure, it's not a 'live' medium. But it is a content driven medium. In the time period since the last post you listed above, 11 posts and 1 whole page had been posted. The topic had moved on. Your post then took us back to page 1 all over again.

The fact that nobody in the 11 posts since the last one that discussed the issue had mentioned the issue is a good sign that the issue had run it's course. And Beyonwiz had posted enough facts for everyone here to determine that the media used to transfer the firmware file is not an issue.

In fact I'm tempted to delete all posts (including my own) that even suggest that the media used can cause problems just to prevent newcomers from being scared off doing a firmware upgrade. Though I'd prefer to leave this discussion as it is so that newcomers can read for themselves that there is no issue regarding which media is used.
cheers
DaveR

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sun Dec 30, 2007 17:15

Kezza,

I have some minor suggestions for some parts of the first post. It's easier to just show you the edited post rather than explain what needs changing IMHO and why. You can ignore my suggestions and leave your post as is if you want ;)

Upgrading the Firmware

Check your Firmware Version
1. You can check which Firmware Version you currently have here:
Setup > System > Firmware > Firmware Information

Download the latest Firmware
2. Before you begin, download latest firmware for your model - http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/download.asp
Save the firmware file to one of the following:
  • - Shared Network Directory that you know the Beyonwiz can access.
    - FAT, FAT32 or NTFS USB HDD or Memory Stick.
    - CF or SM Memory Card (DP-S1 and DP-P1 only)
    - CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW (DP-S1 only)
HDD Check
3. Beyonwiz recommended that you perform a HDD check before starting a firmware update:
Setup > System > HDD > Check HDD > Yes

Reboot
4. You should also reboot the Beyonwiz before doing a firmware upgrade.
Press Power to put it into Standby and then Power again to turn it back On.

Upgrade the Firmware
5. If you saved the firmware file onto a:
  • - USB device plug it into one of the USB ports
    - Network Share make sure the network device/PC is turned on
    - CF or SM Card plug it into the matching card slot (DP-S1 and DP-P1 only)
    - CD or DVD load it into the DVD tray (DP-S1 only)
6. Select Firmware Upgrade from the menu:
Setup > System > Firmware > Firmware Upgrade

7. Select the appropriate choice depending on where you saved the firmware file:
  • - Network
    - USB
    - MemoryCard
    - DVD
8. Navigate through the menus to select the firmware file that you downloaded earlier and press OK.

9. After the Beyonwiz downloads and verifies the file it will ask you if you want to continue.
Answer yes to start the actual firmware upgrade. Do not turn off the power until it has finished!

10. When the upgrade has finished put Beyonwiz into standby. (it will prompt you to)

11. Unplug the power cord or switch off at the wall socket and wait at 1 minute before restoring power.

You're done.

Further Steps to cure any Problems

If you experience any strange behaviour after a firmware upgrade you should reset to factory settings, and then rescan the channels and setup your Beyonwiz like you did when it was new. A factory reset will not affect any recordings on your HDD.

How to perform a Factory Reset:
12. Copy down any settings you may need, like network settings or IceTV settings etc.
Then Reset to Factory Settings:
Setup > System > Initialise > Factory Setting > Yes

How to Rescan the Channels:
13. After a Factory Reset you will need to scan in the channels again.
Setup > System > Service Scan > Yes

14. Then reconfigure any settings you copied down earlier, like network and IceTV settings etc.

You're done.

The following is rarely necessary, but may be required in extreme circumstances.

How to Format the HDD:
Reformatting the hard drive may also help if you are having problems, but you will lose any recordings.
Setup > System > HDD > HDD Format > Yes

Key:
CF = Compact Flash
HDD = Hard Disk Drive
LAN = Local Area Network
NAS = Network Attached Storage
PC = Personal Computer
SM = Smart Media
USB = Universal Serial Bus
WLAN = Wireless Local Area Network
Last edited by DaveR on Sun Dec 30, 2007 19:27, edited 2 times in total.
cheers
DaveR

Kezza
Master

Post by Kezza » Sun Dec 30, 2007 18:15

Nice I like it ...... Hope you don't mind a bit of copy and paste ;)

Kezza
? Kezza 2008

DLink Boxee Box
HD BW DP-S1 - Broken
YAMAHA RXV800
B&W LM1
Harmony ONE Uni Remote
LG 47LY3DE LCD TV

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sun Dec 30, 2007 18:29

Kezza wrote:Nice I like it ...... Hope you don't mind a bit of copy and paste ;)

Kezza
Go for it. It might be a good idea to copy it to a new stickie topic. And unstick and rename this topic to something like "Firmware Upgrade Considerations".
cheers
DaveR

Kezza
Master

Post by Kezza » Sun Dec 30, 2007 18:59

First post updated .... Thanks Dave ;)

Kezza
? Kezza 2008

DLink Boxee Box
HD BW DP-S1 - Broken
YAMAHA RXV800
B&W LM1
Harmony ONE Uni Remote
LG 47LY3DE LCD TV

NPR
Master

Post by NPR » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:51

Reading through this thread, I'm unable to ascertain what is defined as 'strange behaviour'. For such a thorough and well written guide, this remains somewhat ambiguous. I understand the context, but do we have any examples of such behaviour that has been rectified by factory reset? If so, or indeed if we suspect certain behaviours 'may' be rectified by reset can we list them? Otherwise, from Steven's post, factory reset appears to do little if all other procedures are adhered to.
Philips plasma, Harmon Kardon amp, Logitec 525 Uni Remote, Klipsch speakers
BW, after owning a Toppy 7000, after owning a Media Centre, after owning a Strong box

tonym

upgrading to new version 01.05.261

Post by tonym » Fri Aug 22, 2008 09:33

Can I directly upgrade to this new version, 01.05.261, from a few releases back - firmware version DPS1-01.02.019 without going via any versions in between?
AND I notice there may be another release early in September. Is it better to wait?

Tonym
DP-S1

nexus7
Master

Post by nexus7 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:00

For the Newbies, it may be worth adding:-
- Unzip the firmware using your computer, prior to plugging the thumb drive into the Wiz.
- All settings should remain the same
- All timers should remain set
- All saved programs should remain

prl
Wizard God

Re: upgrading to new version 01.05.261

Post by prl » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:24

tonym wrote:Can I directly upgrade to this new version, 01.05.261, from a few releases back - firmware version DPS1-01.02.019 without going via any versions in between?
AND I notice there may be another release early in September. Is it better to wait?

Tonym
DP-S1
I don't think that there's anything that would stop you going straight to 261. I'm not sure about when the next public release will be, but the beta testers have suggested that a release should be done fairly quickly that fixes some remaining problems with the 4:3 aspect ratio controls, 5.1 audio, and the broken copy functions on the DP-H1. Whether that fits with Beyonwiz's plans is up to them.

If you don't use those features, or don't currently have problems with them, you may as well go for 261.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Gully

Re: upgrading to new version 01.05.261

Post by Gully » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:52

tonym wrote:Can I directly upgrade to this new version, 01.05.261, from a few releases back - firmware version DPS1-01.02.019 without going via any versions in between?

Tonym
DP-S1
I wouldn't bother waiting for the next release and as Peter posted you can just update to the latest one.

It is important to follow the recommended process and to reformat the hard drive as suggested if you can as there have been some changes over the versions about file formats and storage and this will make it more reliable.

With the latest version you will be able to copy back any recordings you transfer off to do the format.
Cheers
Gully

tonym

Post by tonym » Fri Aug 22, 2008 15:42

Thank you, Peter and Gully. I'm new to BW, but not software! Reformatting the hard drive with lots of stuff on it means I won't be able to do the upgrade for a while. Unless reformatting is 'a good idea' as opposed to important...

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Aug 22, 2008 16:41

Reformatting the hard drive is one of those "desperate act solutions" that some people resort to when nothing else seems to help.

You don't need to reformat the HDD when upgrading. If you start experiencing issues (and that's a big IF) later down the track, you can always copy the content elsewhere and reformat, but it is certainly not required or even recommended when upgrading firmware.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Sat Jun 06, 2009 08:03

I think this post should be "un-stickied" as it is no longer the prefered method for firmware upgrades as WizTV is much simpler.
This could be very confusing for a newbie doing a firmware upgrade for the first time.

I also think there are a number of other sticky posts and announcements that could be converted back to normal posts. We don't want to lose the info but they are no longer current and just clutter up the top of the forum and confuse newbies rather than help them as is their purpose.

Cheers

brianh
Wizard

Post by brianh » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:56

I think any Stickies should remain but in light of simoncasey's post, need to be updated to contain current info.

e.g. FW Upgrade Choices given : For WizTV updates - follow on screen prompts. Problems encountered may still need the "full treatment" as set out.

I am in the middle of cleaning up the main FAQ which should then link off to relevant stickies, hopefully this will make the information a bit easier to navigate. If you like I could update the main FAQ to refer to the WizTV method & specify the link for any problems encountered?
Cheers,
Brian

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:25

Brian

An alternative could be for you to take the info in this topic and put it into the FAQ with suitable amendments and then unsticky this?
Cheers
Gully

Return to “DP-P2, FV-L1, DP-Lite, DP-S1 and DP-P1”