DP-P2 Error 0000

Beyonwiz HD PVR / Network Media Players including Freeview models.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

yogi69

DP-P2 Error 0000

Post by yogi69 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 20:34

Hi guys I have the dreaded error that is usually associated with a dead power supply. I have Pm'd Warkus to see if he can help me again - it happened 2 years ago. He may be busy so I thought I would post in case anyone has any suggestions to try in the meantime. I am in Adelaide :wink:

Gully

Re: DP-P2 Error 0000

Post by Gully » Fri Aug 05, 2016 21:02

I think Mark/Warkus is your best bet other than a replacement PVR like the T2 or T4.
Cheers
Gully

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Sat Aug 06, 2016 09:41

Ring (Perth Business time) Mark/Warkus, http://www.decisivecomputersolutions.co ... ntact.html

yogi69

Post by yogi69 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 18:35

Thank you for the replies - what a time - AFL and the Olympics :roll:

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Sun Aug 07, 2016 08:22

yogi69 wrote:Thank you for the replies - what a time - AFL and the Olympics :roll:
Yes, lots of time to catch up on the backlog of old recordings :twisted:

yogi69

Post by yogi69 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:47

Ermm - that would be good if the Wiz would work. :shock:

anotherdavid
On probation

Post by anotherdavid » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:48

Thanks to Warkus my machine is working again!

What fantastic service from him - sent him a photo to confirm the issue and he sent me a new PSU in the post with instructions on how to swap it out.

It was so easy to do and I'm so happy the DP-P2 has got a new lease of life and not ended up on the scrap heap.

Loved hearing the HDD spooling up again - I've missed that sound

yogi69

Post by yogi69 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 18:08

As anotherdavid has said Mark has helped me out once again - invoice received and paid today. Very reasonable and it is so good to have the Wiz back working again. :D

jonno

Post by jonno » Sat Sep 10, 2016 16:44

I now have the same problem - have all my footy and movies on the HDD. Have switched the DP-P2 off and on and continue to get the Error 0000 message on the display.I'm at a loss on what to do. Can anyone help to advise what I need to do to fix it? would be grateful for any assistance or advice. Many thanks.

Jonno

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Sep 10, 2016 16:51

jonno wrote:Can anyone help to advise what I need to do to fix it? would be grateful for any assistance or advice. Many thanks.
Needs a repair. Read back 6 posts for info :).
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Sep 10, 2016 17:11

jonno wrote:... Have switched the DP-P2 off and on and continue to get the Error 0000 message on the display.I'm at a loss on what to do. Can anyone help to advise what I need to do to fix it?
If you had a power outage whilst the P2 was on then it may have tripped the power supply. If so, disconnect it from the mains for 5 minutes and try again.
Udder-wise it's most likely a sign that the power supply is buggered.
You can contact warkus/Mark and he'll get you to take the lid off so you can describe the state of the capacitors to him (or get you to send a photo of 'em to him). He's a nice bloke - he won't milk you :)

jonno

Post by jonno » Sun Sep 11, 2016 17:08

I have the same problem.

I sent Mark a personal message but I don't know if he's got it.

Mark, if you can help I would be grateful. I have lots of recordings which I now cant access'.

Given what everyone has said I need to replace the PSU in my DP-P2 but I don't trust have the technical skills to fix it properly.

Look forward to any assistance

Jonno

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Sep 11, 2016 19:42

jonno wrote: I sent Mark a personal message but I don't know if he's got it.
The PM will show as "sent" when Mark has read it.

You can access the files on the DP Wiz's HDD if you plug it into a PC running Linux. If you are not comfortable with anything I just said there, then you may want to wait until it can be repaired :).
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 01:36

jonno wrote:...

Mark, if you can help I would be grateful. I have lots of recordings which I now cant access'.

Given what everyone has said I need to replace the PSU in my DP-P2 but I don't trust have the technical skills to fix it properly.

Jonno
Jonno,
If you can use a screwdriver, are calm and take your time to read Mark's very precise instructions then you may surprise yourself. Having done one power supply myself it's not at all hard.

But otherwise, Mark can almost certainly help and has a very well deserved reputation in that regard. He has also rebuilt a P2 and an S1 better than new for me. More likely than not yoùr recordings will survive.

Might be best to call his office as suggested above. He once explained to me he occasionally does work in remote areas and may not see a PM straight away.

Paul
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Sep 12, 2016 09:55

As far as I know, Beyonwiz still repair DP-series power supplies too.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

jonno

Post by jonno » Tue Sep 13, 2016 20:47

Thank you all - appreciate your advice and encouragement,

Have been in touch with Mark and he will send me a PSU with instructions. If I have a problem Mark said he will assist.

In the meantime the Beyonwiz help desk advises they can fix it for about $100 with a full service check but I would have to send the whole unit to them.

Will rely on Mark's expertise to get the job done.

jonno

jplouis
Apprentice

Post by jplouis » Tue Apr 06, 2021 16:37

I suspect my old DP-P2 has finally died.
No response from the front power button
BUT
Power supply is OK - 32V on the main board
Network is OK - responds to ping
HDMI is handshake looks OK - but no signal is being sent - Just mute video "silence"
HD is OK - but clearly the OS is not here - must be on flash memory somewhere.
No obvious failed components on the main board.
SO
Is that it, or am I missing something simple, common Cap blown, Main front power button failed??
Let me know if this is a common fail and if there is a simple fix.
OTHERWISE
I guess I'll just motor on with my T4 and scavenge the DP-P2 for components

Cheers

Netless

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:54

Sadly, Warkus has shut up shop but his repair guides survive.

Your fault is most likely the PSU but, for one of my P2s, Warkus also replaced as he described it "about half of the small capacitors on the mainboard and a voltage regulator that were also shot".

Apart from the HDD, there's little of value in a P2 and, for all its quirks, the V2 is a far better replacement. Unless you plan to rebuild it yourself it is unlikely that you'll have a use for the parts.

I have a working S1 in a cupboard which will never be used again and a P2 that is still plugged in but only comes on once a day to get the program guide. I can't quite bring myself to scrap them! They were loyal workhorses in their day but have been superseded by later models and technology changes.

So, your choice really comes down to scrapping it or attempting a tedious repair if you have the time, patience and skills to try the latter.

Cheers, Paul
Denon AVR -X2400H

elddum
On probation

Post by elddum » Mon May 17, 2021 10:27

Seems I too have now been been hit with dead PSU in my DP-P2 (getting error 0000). Have tried disconnecting for a while and re-powering, with no luck). It has been a solid workhorse for about 13 years and never missed a beat. Unfortunate thing is I have an almost full HDD of shows we want to watch (including series we are in the middle of watching). I thought the HDD would be the thing that died, but it has just kept plugging away.

Very unfortunate that Mark/Warkus has shut up shop as I would have bought a PSU from him in a heartbeat.

@Paul_oz53 - do you still have your DP-P2? Would you be willing to sell?

Anyone else out there with working DP-P2 (or just PSU) I could try? or other suggestions? I'm technical enough, but not so good or keen at soldering parts myself.

Where next if I can't resurrect the DP-P2?... I see folk recommend the V2 and means to connect/copy the old format files. Is the V2 as good and reliable? I don't need fancy features, just the basics and use ICETV to set my recordings. Are there other PVRs any would recommend? I bought a Fetch Mighty for my father a year ago, and it has been nothing but issues, and the interface is skewed more to the online/streaming which I get direct from my Samsung TV.

If I have to, I can get a chassis for the drive and connect via USB to my Mac and manually manipulate/convert the files on the DP drive to .ts, but for such a large amount it would take way too long.

All advice and help appreciated - Thanks all!

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon May 17, 2021 13:14

If you want a new PVR that ships with IceTV support, the Beyonwiz V2 is your only option.

Getting the recordings from a DP-series playing on anything other than another DP-series machine is not as simple as connecting the HDD. You will have to use some software to convert the recordings. With a HDD almost full, the conversion will take a significant amount of time and you will need enough spare storage for the converted content. The third party conversion software runs on Linux, Mac and PC, but may require a bit more effort than simple point and click. The core converter is written in Perl. There is a GUI frontend available, but I don't think it's been updated for a while, so may not have the latest conversion engine or be compatible with the most recent OS releases.

The V2 is a much better product and a much better user experience, but it is different from the DP-series. Many users initially grumble about the changes, but eventually get used to the new user interface and in the end find the DP-series clumsy. If you are the type of person who prefers to stick with the known and is uncomfortable with change, then repairing/replacing a DP-series PVR may be the better option.

In terms of repairing the DP-P2 or getting another DP-series PVR, that should not be very difficult at all. Mark published very good repair guides for the PSUs in the DP-series. Any decent electronics repairer should be able to follow these guides and do a good job. Getting a second hand working DP-series should not be too difficult either. In the last year I sold a nearly new DP-S1 and the buyer was very happy. I think I still have a working DP-P1 boxed up under the stairs. If you are interested in buying it, please let me know and I'll pull it out and check out it's condition.

Blog.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon May 17, 2021 13:46

elddum wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:27
Anyone else out there with working DP-P2 (or just PSU) I could try? or other suggestions? I'm technical enough, but not so good or keen at soldering parts myself.

You could buy a 2nd-hand working DP-P2 off Gumtree/Facebook Marketplace/eBay and use its donor PSU in your box.
Another option is to buy a DP-Lite, or FV-L1 that has already been converted to a P1, and use your drive in it.

If you're in Sydney, NASA Electronics might still be repairing units - https://www.nasaelectronics.com.au/

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Mon May 17, 2021 16:08

Hi elddum

I do have a redundant P2 and an S1 rebuilt by Warkus. If you get desperate I would consider selling either. However, I see peteru has offered up a P1 so you could go with that.

Personally, I think the V2 is the better option as it can cope with all the current audio formats, unlike the S1, P1, P2, etc.
Denon AVR -X2400H

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon May 17, 2021 17:50

elddum wrote:
If I have to, I can get a chassis for the drive and connect via USB to my Mac and manually manipulate/convert the files on the DP drive to .ts, but for such a large amount it would take way too long.

As far as I understand it, YARDWiz for MAC is 32-bit so it may not run on your MAC. WizFX may be the same.
Thus the "local" converting of TVWIZ to TS may be a non-starter.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Mon May 17, 2021 21:05

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 17:50
As far as I understand it, YARDWiz for MAC is 32-bit so it may not run on your MAC. WizFX may be the same.
getWizPnP is Perl, so the scripts themselves should still work.
elddum wrote:
My understanding is .tvwiz is the same as .ts, so you could possibly hook up the drive to the Mac/V2, rename .tvwiz to .ts, select all (and deselect meta; I think each recording is in a separate directory) and play. I meant to test how smooth the file transition is, but haven't yet; you'd want to turn off the infobar, though (assuming that's possible, I should check that, too).

elddum
On probation

Post by elddum » Mon May 17, 2021 22:17

Thanks all for the quick responses and great suggestions!
peteru wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 13:14
I think I still have a working DP-P1 boxed up under the stairs. If you are interested in buying it, please let me know and I'll pull it out and check out it's condition.
Thanks peteru, I may take you up on that. Would you suggest I use the DP-P1 as a surrogate for the drive from my P2, or use the PSU from the P1 as donor to my P2?
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 13:46
You could buy a 2nd-hand working DP-P2 off Gumtree/Facebook Marketplace/eBay and use its donor PSU in your box.
Thanks grumpy_geoff, I had a quick look but could not find any P2s out there at the moment.
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
If you're in Sydney, NASA Electronics might still be repairing units - https://www.nasaelectronics.com.au/
Thanks for the great tip! I've just been on with Nasir and he confirmed he can fix for $130 with return shipping. I'm in Canberra, and concerned that given the age of the HDD it may not do so well in shipping - even in the original box I still have. I may be over cautious, but after 12 years figure the HDD will be more susceptible to shock induced errors. I may consider a day trip to Nasir to get it fixed. He is so responsive and willing to do it on the spot on a weekend - what a star!
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 16:08
I do have a redundant P2 and an S1 rebuilt by Warkus. If you get desperate I would consider selling either.
Thanks Paul-oz53 - I may come back to you on the P2 depending on where things land.
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 16:08
Personally, I think the V2 is the better option as it can cope with all the current audio formats, unlike the S1, P1, P2, etc.
I do like the idea, but for what I record (mostly ABC and SBS crime series) have not had issues with formats, and the V2 brings a very different UI (to get my family used to) and having to then get either SD card or external HDD to record.
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
As far as I understand it, YARDWiz for MAC is 32-bit so it may not run on your MAC.
Yep, YARDWiz for Mac won't work on macOS from Catalina (10.15) onwards... but I could easily build an earlier OS image to boot from just to do the conversion.
adoxa wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 21:05
My understanding is .tvwiz is the same as .ts, so you could possibly hook up the drive to the Mac/V2, rename .tvwiz to .ts, select all (and deselect meta; I think each recording is in a separate directory) and play. I meant to test how smooth the file transition is, but haven't yet; you'd want to turn off the infobar, though (assuming that's possible, I should check that, too).
Thanks adoxa - yes you can. I did this for a bunch of files back in 2011 I wanted to convert and load onto my son's iPad. I wrote a simple bash scripts to concat the tvwiz files (the P2 creates lots of small files in each directory as I recall) into a single .ts file which I could then convert to .mp4 .

I'm leaning towards getting Nasir to repair - just not keen on shipping it...

Again, thanks all for great advice and offers, and responding so quickly. Will let you know where it lands.

Cheers!

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon May 17, 2021 23:02

elddum wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 22:17
I'm in Canberra, and concerned that given the age of the HDD it may not do so well in shipping - even in the original box I still have. I may be over cautious, but after 12 years figure the HDD will be more susceptible to shock induced errors.

You could remove the HDD before shipping.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon May 17, 2021 23:26

elddum wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 22:17
peteru wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 13:14
I think I still have a working DP-P1 boxed up under the stairs. If you are interested in buying it, please let me know and I'll pull it out and check out it's condition.
Thanks peteru, I may take you up on that. Would you suggest I use the DP-P1 as a surrogate for the drive from my P2, or use the PSU from the P1 as donor to my P2?

One of the problems you have is that you can not be 100% sure that a failing PSU did not cause additional damage to other parts of the system. Moving the HDD to a known good box is probably the best and fastest option for getting back a usable system. Unless you have a pressing need to record from the analogue inputs on the DP-P2, the DP-P1 is a perfect replacement. If you do need the analogue inputs, then the LiDiC external box can probably be had on the cheap (or even free) from someone on the forums. IMHO the DP-P1 was the best unit out of the DP-series - just the right combo of features and the most tested/fine tuned firmware.

If I were in your position, I'd probably just move the HDD from old DP-P2 into the replacement DP-P1 and switch to using the DP-P1. Maybe have the DP-P2 repaired at your leisure so that when the replacement DP-P1 eventually fails (as do all electronics at some stage), you have a replacement DP-P2 ready to go. Minimum downtime.

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Thanks for the great tip! I've just been on with Nasir and he confirmed he can fix for $130 with return shipping. I'm in Canberra, and concerned that given the age of the HDD it may not do so well in shipping - even in the original box I still have. I may be over cautious, but after 12 years figure the HDD will be more susceptible to shock induced errors. I may consider a day trip to Nasir to get it fixed. He is so responsive and willing to do it on the spot on a weekend - what a star!
Nasir is probably the most likely person to be able to fix your DP-P2 if there is more to it than just a faulty PSU. These days, he is very likely to have access to more Beyonwiz spare parts than anyone else in the world. He also has plenty of experience not only repairing Beyonwiz PVRs but also performing factory modifications and has access to the official schematics and documentation.

However, you are right, shipping the HDD is way too risky. I would highly recommend taking the HDD out before sending the unit off for repair. I'm sure Nasir can repair the DP-P2 without the HDD being installed.

The way I look at it, you can have the DP-P2 repaired either by a competent local electronics shop (using the repair guides that Mark published) or by NASA. If/when the DP-P2 fails again, it may not be repairable any more and at that time you'll have to replace it with something different. Given the way FTA and PVRs are heading, there may be nothing comparable available on the market in a few years time. If you want to have a spare PVR up your sleeve for that time, maybe consider both a replacement for the DP-P2 now and also have the DP-P2 repaired at a time convenient to you.

Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jun 01, 2021 17:08

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:

YARDWiz for Mac is 32-bit, and will not run on any MacOS version from Catalina (10.15) or later.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jun 01, 2021 17:19

adoxa wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 21:05
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
getWizPnP is Perl, so the scripts themselves should still work.

Yes, but the setup effort is non-trivial, though it is documented in the source code. That documentation is likely to be out of data.

Running make check in the distribution should assist in telling you which perl modules are needed.

Pre-canned versions of getWizPnP may also be 32-bit and unusable on Catalina and later versions of MacOS.

If recordings have not been edited, then running:
cat [0-9]* > recording-name.ts (on Unixoid systems) or copy [0-9]* recording-name.ts on DOS-like systems (I think)
in the recording's .tvwiz directory will do pretty much the same job as getWizPnP.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “DP-P2, FV-L1, DP-Lite, DP-S1 and DP-P1”