How Exactly Do You Open Up The Case - Hard Drive Upgrade

Beyonwiz HD PVR / Network Media Players including Freeview models.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

theedge

How Exactly Do You Open Up The Case - Hard Drive Upgrade

Post by theedge » Mon May 11, 2009 10:40

I have received my new WD500AVJB as recommended by gra in a previous post. Now I want to install it but haven?t managed to successfully open the case on my S1 so if somebody could provide me with the procedure I would be very grateful. I tried on Thursday last week by undoing all of the screws on the rear of the S1 and wasn?t able to slide the top back and off so am unsure if there are some screws to undo on the sides as well. I tried unsuccessfully to remove the silver side panels but was too scared to use too much force in case I broke them so if any of you guys could provide me with the correct technique it would be appreciated. I have previously upgraded the hard drivers on a couple of Toppy 5000?s so am not totally inept at the doing these upgrades but I am struggling with the beyonwiz.

I have also tried searching the FAQ?s and previous posts but was unable to find the information I needed to complete this task.

TIA

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:48

Undo screws, take off. The warranty sticker might be holding it together, and/or you missed the screws on the side (I think there are some there).
edit:
p.s take the silly wings off of course, they are kind of slide clipped in, release the clips from underneath. Piece of cake.
Tony

warkus
Guru

Post by warkus » Mon May 11, 2009 11:33

Hello theedge,

Tony is correct, there are side screws on the S1, two of them. They would be under your plastic "wings", for which Tony has mentioned how to remove.

Once all the screws are removed, the lid slides back and up.

Mark

theedge

Post by theedge » Mon May 11, 2009 13:09

Cheers guys

I thought there might be a couple of screws on the sides but couldn't figure out how to get them off. I will have another crack at it tonight.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon May 11, 2009 13:41

theedge wrote:Cheers guys

I thought there might be a couple of screws on the sides but couldn't figure out how to get them off. I will have another crack at it tonight.
To release the side "wings" on the S1, turn the unit over. There is a rectangular hole in the base on each side. You can see a silver (for silver wings) plastic tab through it. Press it in, and push the wing toward the front of the S1. That will release it and the wing will come out of the slots that hold it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

theedge

Post by theedge » Mon May 11, 2009 20:17

prl wrote:
theedge wrote:Cheers guys

To release the side "wings" on the S1, turn the unit over. There is a rectangular hole in the base on each side. You can see a silver (for silver wings) plastic tab through it. Press it in, and push the wing toward the front of the S1. That will release it and the wing will come out of the slots that hold it.
Thanks that was the info that was what I I was after.

Well I successfully opened up the S1 but have failed to upgrade the hard drive as I intended due to not being able to get the original hard drive out of the caddy, talk about over engineered. I couldn't get at the middle screw and have now damaged the head of screw that I cannot get a firm grip of it with a screw driver so gave up. I might have another crack at it on the weekend if I can be bothered.

pjc3
Guru

Post by pjc3 » Mon May 11, 2009 20:21

If it is like the P1 you remove the metal "caddy" entirely first by undoing the vertical screws before removing the HDD from the caddy.
DP-P1

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Mon May 11, 2009 21:14

I remember seeing a cu picture posted on the hard drive but I haven't a clue on how to search it., but it really is very easy .
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

download
Guru

Post by download » Tue May 12, 2009 08:30

theedge wrote:I couldn't get at the middle screw and have now damaged the head of screw that I cannot get a firm grip of it with a screw driver so gave up. I might have another crack at it on the weekend if I can be bothered.
Using a better matched screw driver might give you a last attempt (usually we make do with an ok best fit option)

Otherwise you can use a variable speed drill and very carefully take off the screw head insitu.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

theedge

Post by theedge » Tue May 12, 2009 13:28

From the sounds of it I need to remove the caddy before unscrewing the hard drive and replacing it. Is there anything else I need to know or can anybody offer any tips so I don't screw it up?

TIA

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Tue May 12, 2009 14:05

Unplug the power so you don't go killing yourself. Don't go scuffing your feet on carpet while handling any electronics (electrostatic energy can kill drives etc). Try to earth yourself to the case of the unit while handling anything to avoid potential differences.
All basic stuff really.
Tony

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed May 13, 2009 22:17

Give the job to someone who isn't all thumbs. :lol:

But seriously, if you are having this much trouble getting this far, you should consider asking someone who is experienced with building/servicing PCs to help. A simple slip up or a tiny bit of a metal shaving dropped into the wrong spot could render your Beyonwiz completely useless.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed May 13, 2009 22:59

Hi Peter,
peteru wrote:A simple slip up or a tiny bit of a metal shaving dropped into the wrong spot could render your Beyonwiz completely useless.
Creating an instance of the elsewhere previously mentioned "Brick"! ;)

Regards,
Ian.

theedge

Post by theedge » Thu May 14, 2009 08:29

peteru wrote:Give the job to someone who isn't all thumbs. :lol:

But seriously, if you are having this much trouble getting this far, you should consider asking someone who is experienced with building/servicing PCs to help. A simple slip up or a tiny bit of a metal shaving dropped into the wrong spot could render your Beyonwiz completely useless.
I have successfully updated 2 Toppy 5000's without any drama, sure it was a few years ago but if my final crack proves to be fruitless I will seek out somebody who can perform this for me.

Any volunteers in Brisbane?

Cheers

theedge

Success!!!!

Post by theedge » Thu May 21, 2009 12:30

OK I have successfully updated the S1.

My problem was not taking the time to perform the upgrade. For anybody else who may have a similar issue just remember to unscrew the hard drive caddy from the unit before trying to undo the screws holding the hard drive to the caddy. There are 3 screws holding the caddy in place 2 at the rear and 1 at the front. Once the screws have been removed the caddy can be removed and the hard drive removed and swapped over.

brianh
Wizard

Post by brianh » Sat Jul 04, 2009 23:46

I have collated the info and added it to the FAQ.
Cheers,
Brian

1) 2 x T4, Samsung UA46C7000/Yamaha RX-V6A
2) Spare DP-P2s/ Samsung UA46C6900/Sony STR-DE497/RX-V540
Harmony 650 + all the spare remotes.....

PLANT
Master

Re: How Exactly Do You Open Up The Case - Hard Drive Upgrade

Post by PLANT » Sat May 28, 2022 04:17

Pictures or why a YouTube video is not available is puzzling.
If anyone's had the time please complete same.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 28, 2022 12:17

I doubt that anyone is likely to make a YouTube video about how to open the case of a device so far past support EOL as the S1.

IMO, the only thing difficult about opening up the S1 case is removing the silver plastic "cheeks" on the sides, and I posted instructions on how to do that above.

What do you want to do once the S1's case is open?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat May 28, 2022 12:29

No longer have an S1 but, after you remove the screws the case is extremely tight because it has mechanical interlocks.

Best as I recall you have to carefully lever the case backwards from the top until it clicks. Use plastic tools if you can.

Reassembly is equally finicky. Need to align the top and carefully align the back and sides to re-engage the mechanical locks.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Return to “DP-P2, FV-L1, DP-Lite, DP-S1 and DP-P1”