Support seems to be dimishing

Android Smart TV Media Player

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Rockgod
Apprentice

Support seems to be dimishing

Post by Rockgod » Tue Apr 17, 2012 13:09

Hi,
I've had my Wizott for a while now and so far have had about 6 system updates.

In this time there has been no updates to the apps.

I pretty much just use it to play HD files from the HDD now. Pity.

Even more frustrating, last night I tried to load up the Channel 9 website to stream the first episode of "The Voice" (I know, but everyone was talking about it!).
The website kept saying I needed to install/update flash. Tried going through the normal steps but kept getting messages saying denied.
Normally if there is an update of sorts to any apps installed on Android then it comes up saying 'update found'.

So, as it stands I had to have the family crown around the little laptop to watch about 15mins (after the time wasted trying to get Wizott working).

I still think there is a lot of potential to this unti but it seems the lack of support is killing it.

Rock

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Apr 19, 2012 16:55

I think the problem with WizOTT is that Beyonwiz backed the wrong horse for this race. They decided to go with a MIPS based Sigma Designs chip. The vast majority of Android devices run on ARM based chips. Although the MIPS Android upstream project had plans to upgrade to later versions of Android, the evidence suggest that Android for MIPS is dead. There have not been any updates for over a year.

Similarly, there have been no WizOTT updates since late last year. No communication from Beyonwiz on any front, WizOTT or otherwise, either. At this point in time, I'm inclined to say that this is the last we've seen from Beyonwiz. I suspect that the current firmware revisions for both WizOTT and the existing line of PVRs is the end of updates. I'm not sure whether we will ever see any new Beyonwiz products either.

Of course, I would like to proven wrong, but all the signs lead me to believe that there is little chance of that.

:(

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 17:44

I hope you're wrong Peter, but I've seen no evidence to the contrary.

It must be hard for a small company to survive one dud product, let alone two.
It started with the stupid decision to jump on the Freeview bandwagon with the FV-L1, which stripped out many of the features that were most valued by users.
The idea for an android media player was sound (even inspired), but seems ultimately doomed by them making another poor choice.
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

Return to “WizOTT”