latest on WizOTT

Android Smart TV Media Player

Moderators: Gully, peteru

philopous
Apprentice

latest on WizOTT

Post by philopous » Mon Nov 07, 2011 19:30

What is the latest on WizOTT.
With units now being offered at $149 I was considering buying one.
BUT has there been any changes that would make it more appealing, Comments a few months ago put me right off?? :(
He who stops trying, FAILS.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Nov 07, 2011 20:51

There has been another firmware upgrade last week.

Currently at Android 2.2.1 (originally was 2.1), there is no Flash player, but there were some (cosmetic) tweaks to the user interface. Not quite sure if these tweaks were for the better, I find the new media player controls worse for seeking around in the file than the old firmware. It looks a little prettier, but in my opinion at the cost of usability. The keyboard settings seem to be more broken than before, requiring both Android on screen keyboard as well as Hangul (Korean) keyboard mode to be enabled and even then it's unreliable, often requiring all sorts of jumping through hoops to even enter numbers. Plugging a wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse combo into the USB port still doesn't work for me.

There is still no support for playback of Beyonwiz PVR recordings, neither streaming directly from a Beyonwiz PVR nor from a recording transferred to a networked file server.

The media player still won't play some high end 1080p content.

As far as I can tell, there is no support for 1080p24 mode. You have a system wide option for using NTSC or PAL mode, there seems to be no option to match output mode to the file format.

The latest firmware seems to have introduced support for side-by-side 3D mode, but I have no means of testing how well that works.

There are even more cases of Korean text appearing throughout the English user interface than in the last firmware. Makes me think that non-Korean markets are probably not high on the list of priorities.

I've also noticed that some functions now crash quite regularly or don't seem to work at all. For example, trying to get detailed information about the device crashes every time and NFS directories that used to work in previous firmware versions do not seem to mount any more, even though my file server configuration has not changed.

All in all, even though the firmware development seems to continue, the product is not providing a better user experience as time goes on. This is very different to what we have seen with Beyonwiz PVRs, where the firmware updates made the product better and better over the years. I still have hope that this will change and the WizOTT will improve a lot, but it really needs to happen soon. There is already competition in this segment of the market and there will be plenty more low cost alternatives appearing as time goes on.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Nov 07, 2011 21:57

Hi Peter,

A case in point, ALDI are currently selling a DG-TEC HD STB / PVR based on Android with Internet and media player capabilities. The details can be found at http://www.dgtec.com.au/en-AU/products/ ... -HD2104AND . This is a fairly cheap and nasty box with many users complaining about its quirks, me included, but this unit costs only $79.99. It can't access the Android Market and the apps available are limited. The browser doesn't have flash. I haven't had much time with the unit but I will give it a bit more time to settle down and/or get a firmware update before giving up and sending it back.

Competition to the WizOTT is already here and the prices are at significantly lower levels than Beyonwiz would be happy hearing.

Regards,
Ian.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Nov 07, 2011 22:33

WizOTT does not work with Android Market either. The WizOTT apps available by default are even fewer (and less interesting) than those that appear to be available via the D-GTEC box. The problem with WizOTT (and any other device based on MIPS processors, rather than ARM, as used in most mobile phones) is that it's incompatible with any native code - which many interesting apps, such as media players, tend to use. The other problem you will encounter is that most apps out there assume they will have access to phone and tablet like features (such as touch screen) and don't work well with a device that lacks many of those.

At least the D-GTEC box has a TV tuner. I guess the WizOTT has a SATA option instead.

Maybe if these devices used something like GoogleTV, they may be a little more usable - one can only hope that this will eventuate soon.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

philopous
Apprentice

Post by philopous » Wed Nov 09, 2011 21:45

:cry: All this doesn't sound to encouraging, I think I will have another look at what Apple has to orrer!!

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 00:38

I upgraded the firmware in mine a couple of days ago.

It ruined everything.

The apps on my home screen have disappeared. I was able to drag them to the home screen by retrieving them from the app menu, but everything froze when I tried to rearrange them on the home screen.

All of the album art for my music files has disappeared too.

philopous
Apprentice

Post by philopous » Thu Nov 10, 2011 08:04

Oh dear, I think as I have trouble finding to on button on my TV I will steer well clear of this one.
Has anyone done much research into other products like the Wizott??.
I thing the main feature I was looking for was the ability to link it to the beyonwiz and make it a package so to speak, pity..

Atti
Apprentice

Dissapointed

Post by Atti » Sun Jan 29, 2012 13:34

Hi,

I am a big fan of Beyonwiz PVR's, I have three all networked. Love them :D

I bought a WizOTT a few weeks ago.........................

Don't get one................................. :cry:

philopous
Apprentice

Post by philopous » Mon Jan 30, 2012 20:16

OOO Dear that bad AA!!

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 23:31

I turned on my WizOTT last night. The YouTube features have improved. The presentation is much more professional too. One problem I've encountered is I'm no longer able to play AAC files.

Return to “WizOTT”