Anyone using WinzOTT?

Android Smart TV Media Player

Moderators: Gully, peteru

janilxx

Anyone using WinzOTT?

Post by janilxx » Tue Jun 28, 2011 22:15

I have been checking Dealspace's WizOTT page every now and then and there is always 47 devices in stock. This and lack of WizOTT comments here indicates that there is no need for WizOTT or am I wrong?

baobab68
Master

Post by baobab68 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 22:30

If it had tuners in it, I would buy one.

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Tue Jun 28, 2011 23:15

baobab68 wrote:If it had tuners in it, I would buy one.
Yes, I think most of us are hoping for a PVR version. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Jun 28, 2011 23:38

Hi Janilxx,

Long time no hear. ;)

The problem with the WizOTT is that it is quite an unknown / mysterious device. There is very little information available about what it is and what it can or can't do.

There are a few owners on here but I am yet to read any compelling reasons to get one at the price being asked. It can't access the Android Market so there seems to be little attraction to the Android aspect of the device. Without that it seems to be a simple media player. Apparently it can't even stream from other Beyonwiz units. :(

These days there are many media players around. Many can be obtained at about the A$100 to A$150 price point. Perhaps I am missing something special about the WizOTT but A$249 is a lot of money for a basic media player.

Regards,
Ian.

janilxx

Post by janilxx » Wed Jun 29, 2011 16:43

From my point of view WizOTT's power is in applications.
If you have Android phone you can install application to it and then backup it with ASTRO and copy it to PC. This way you can install App also to WizOTT.

For example in Finland there is an internet service (pay), which can be used to record all TV programs from free channels. These recordings can be downloaded to PC or watched with browser.
They also have Android application to watch these programs. I tried previous version of this application and it had some problems but otherwise it worked also with WizOTT. There is now new version of this application, which should work better with WizOTT but I haven't used it yet.

WizOTT should have Flash support now so it could be used watch TV channels' web-based TV services (but I haven't tested this yet). These services makes it possible to watch some programs with browser.

Also for example movie service Voddler released Android application couple of days ago. It works nicely with my phone and I could watch free movies with my phone. I haven't yet tested this application with WizOTT.

Also for example Spotify has Android application so WizOTT could be used as a music server (again, not tested with WizOTT).

At the moment Voddler or Spotify don't work in Australia, but I suppose you have similiar services.

At least my HTC Desire S phone has DNLA server so I suppose similiar server could be installed to WizOTT also.

So there is plenty of use cases for WizOTT.

I suppose I have pasted these two my links to you already but here they are again:
http://www.digilelut.fi/2011/01/wizott- ... -beyonwiz/
http://www.digilelut.fi/2011/02/beyonwi ... see-video/

PS. I haven't tested some things because I just returned from 2-months work trip from Silicon Valley.

janilxx

Post by janilxx » Tue Jul 05, 2011 14:24

IanSav wrote: I don't have a WizOTT but was under the impression that it uses a MIPS processor whereas the Android Market is targeted towards ARM based processors. In other words I believe that the only applications that will work on the WizOTT are ones that are specifically built for the WizOTT platform.
I don't know if applications needs to be recompiled. But I have installed at least one application, which is meant to be used only with phones and it worked nicely right away.

I am not at home at the moment so I can't test it yet (but I added an reminder to my phone so I will try to test it later today or in the coming days)

janilxx

Post by janilxx » Thu Jul 07, 2011 00:56

janilxx wrote: I am not at home at the moment so I can't test it yet (but I added an reminder to my phone so I will try to test it later today or in the coming days)
I downloaded some applications to my phone and then backupped them with ASTRO. Then I copied these .apk files to USB and installed them to WizOTT. Here are the results:
-Accuweather (Quick) works
-Evernote works
-NetCounter works
-Speed Test works
-Google Translate works
-The Weather Channels can be installed and opens first time. Entering city gives an error and app can't be started anymore (even after boot).
-Opera Mobile: Not enough memory to install
-TuneIn Radio: Application not installed message in installation
-Voddler: "Problem parsing the package" while installing. I backupped this twice in my phone and always the same result.

billjones

wizott apps ?

Post by billjones » Thu Oct 20, 2011 13:47

i have a wizott i think its great' after setting up and upgraid i could not get the remote off my granddaughter a great toy for the young,does anybody know if it is possible to download adobe flash 11 i don't have a android phone i don't even know if it is possible to enable extra apps? i have installed a internal hdd so plenty of space bill jones.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Oct 24, 2011 14:40

Flash was promised in a future firmware upgrade, however there have not been any firmware upgrades for the WizOTT for the last two months. The last firmware upgrade was pretty botched and a number of the user interface elements are now in Korean - even when the unit is configured for English.

I'm not sure what happened to Beyonwiz either here in Australia or over in Korea, but the lack of any positive action on either the PVR or the Media Player firmware does not bode well for their image. Fingers crossed, they are working really hard on something impressive and will get it to the market soon.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Return to “WizOTT”