VIP Club Beta Feedback

What you like, What you don't and What you want!

Moderators: Gully, peteru

onno
Apprentice

VIP Club Beta Feedback

Post by onno » Thu Jun 18, 2009 14:34

Having a podcast in multiple locations is not helpful - it's hard to determine if you're looking at the same list you saw in a different category.

Mixing video and audio podcasts is not helpful. Sometimes I'd like to use my BW as a TV, sometimes as a Radio. Finding out which it is, only when you actually get to download the file is counter productive.

There is no search facility.

The lists are not sorted alphabetically.

File sizes are not reported accurately, even thought the progress bar is able to indicate progress - it would be better to get the head of the download (content type/size), and put up the same prompt you see if you try to copy a recorded programme to another drive, either locally or across the network - "The file is XYZ, it will take about XYZ, continue?"

There does not appear to be a way that you can "queue" multiple downloads.

There is no way you can hide "seen" episodes.

XML Parsing is pretty slow, perhaps make the tree deeper and the files to parse smaller.

I'd like to be able to access the same list from my computer, so I can have the same user experience in both places. Even better would be the ability to schedule some downloads - a-la icetv.

I've seen a few XML parse errors. I suspect the code is not robust enough and I fear that any such errors might result in a denial of service/crash.

The user interface is only visible on the screen, not the front-panel, so you cannot locate a programme and play it back without a TV - which in my case is a data projector that takes 2 min to warm up and costs ~50c per hour to run.
Last edited by onno on Thu Jun 18, 2009 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
()/)/)() ..ASCII for Onno..

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jun 18, 2009 14:43

You can queue multiple downloads just by staying in the downloads section, and clicking OK on extra things you want to download.

There have been a number of reports of "short" downloads, where not all the Podcast was downloaded. That may account for some of the size discrepancies.

A Web interface to the download index has also been suggested. I don't know whether WizTV intends making their Podcasts available for download to devices other than the Beyonwiz.

You could have read about those problems and suggestions in the Forum area dedicated to Podcasts & VIP Club.

It would have been a much better place to post about other problems and suggestions, too.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

onno
Apprentice

Post by onno » Thu Jun 18, 2009 14:56

Crap, I searched the board to make sure that I placed this in the correct location. I didn't notice the Podcasts & VIP Club area.

Best laid plans and all that.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 14:56

Hi Peter, I don't think I have seen one correct filelength displayed. But I have not had partial downloads (oh, actually I got a NASA one that didn't seem to do anything when downloading, but maybe that was because I jumped immediately to the fileplayer as soon as I clicked the ok button to download, not sure).
Tony

prl
Wizard God

Re: VIP Club Beta Feedback

Post by prl » Thu Jun 18, 2009 15:23

onno wrote:... a data projector that takes 2 min to warm up and costs ~50c per hour to run.

:shock: :shock:

I only just noticed that. My electricity provider charges me $0.149/kWh.

A data projector that uses ~3kW?

:shock: :shock:

At least you wouldn't need any room heating in winter.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

onno
Apprentice

Post by onno » Thu Jun 18, 2009 15:56

Nope, the electricity is *on top* of that. The projector lamp costs $450 for 1000 hours.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jun 18, 2009 16:04

onno wrote:Nope, the electricity is *on top* of that. The projector lamp costs $450 for 1000 hours.
Ouch!

Sometimes my wallet is so glad I'm not into home theatre :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Podcasts & VIP Club”